Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 09-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation
Default For Joggers and Runners

Like most people, I've never much cared for jogging or running.

Four months ago, I started using Weight Watchers online and eventually started adding a little exercise to the mix......weights and cardio in the form of stationary bike, stairs, and hills.

I avoided jogging because......well.......because I don't like it.

The weight loss has been promising as well as losing inches around my belly. Truthfully, the belly fat has been my issue. I finally accepted that the only way to rid myself of the last few pounds and inches is to start jogging.

Just last week, on September 1, I started a walk/jog program. I have surprised myself each day at how much of my time has been spent on jogging. I assume that the time I spent running stairs and hills got me in a little better shape than I realized.

So I have to admit that it hasn't been miserable and that I do feel inclined to continue down this path. I'd like to call myself a "jogger" one day, but I know I have to earn those stripes.

For now, I am eternally gratefully that I'm doing this, that nothing is hurting, and that I feel more and more confident each day. Today, for example, one of my "jog sessions" was 10-minutes long!! I jogged 10 consecutive minutes. (I did a total of 28 minutes today; my best was 30:30.)

My walk time between jogging sessions is 3 minutes, and I'm averaging 8 minutes of jogging per jog session. I fully expected to start with jog 1 and walk 4 for about 30 minutes, so you can probably see why I have surprised myself.

Any others here on the Planet who jog or run? How long have you been doing it? What is your workout like?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,246 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

I used to run, and just started a couch to 5k program . I can vouch that running or jogging feels great and is good for the mind
Old 09-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Amber2010

How Do You Identify?:
Happy, Crazy, Bubbly, Funny, Strong, Outgoing, Friendly
Preferred Pronoun?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Complicated

Amber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I have always been a walker.. Well a power walker. I prefer to go up stairs no matter how many flights to taking the elevator. I also park as far back as I dare and walk and love to watch people who are looking for a parking space follow me then give up. Ha Ha
I did start jogging myself a few years ago to also get rid of that spread in the middle. I am not a big eater but notice with age comes that middle spread. I have felt more energy and more of a positive attitude in my life when I am running. I started doing the run/walk to save my legs. Sometimes they really hurt after. I think it is a great way to listen to yourself think things through and also the best form of exercise at least for me. Inside fitness centers are just not for me.
Amber2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amber2010 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by guihong View Post
I used to run, and just started a couch to 5k program . I can vouch that running or jogging feels great and is good for the mind
Do you have a 5K already scheduled......like a goal date?

Good luck on your program!
Old 09-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber2010 View Post
I have always been a walker.. Well a power walker. I prefer to go up stairs no matter how many flights to taking the elevator. I also park as far back as I dare and walk and love to watch people who are looking for a parking space follow me then give up. Ha Ha
I did start jogging myself a few years ago to also get rid of that spread in the middle. I am not a big eater but notice with age comes that middle spread. I have felt more energy and more of a positive attitude in my life when I am running. I started doing the run/walk to save my legs. Sometimes they really hurt after. I think it is a great way to listen to yourself think things through and also the best form of exercise at least for me. Inside fitness centers are just not for me.
I have trouble with fitness centers too, Amber. I try, but it's just too much to be in that kind of environment doing BODY work with so many strangers. Just not a fan...

I am looking forward to the time when I can actually think about something other than the jogging!!! I'm still at the point where I look ahead for a marker where I have permission to check the time. Ha! I imagine it will be much more pleasant for me when I'm not worried about how long it has been or how much more I should go.

I guess when I get to where I can go for 20 or 30 minutes without stopping I will feel less stressed about it.

Thanks for your post.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

I've recently added running to my exercise routine.

I've never particularly enjoyed it and I've not run consistently since I was a teenager and training for sports teams.

I'm currently in week 5 of the C25k programme, but I'll be running week 4 again because I had a miserable time of it last week. Week 4 heralds in the 5minute intervals and I struggled through every single one of them.

I started C25k because I was growing bored with speed walking and I knew I needed to up my aerobic activity to continue to lose weight. I also needed an aerobic activity that required very little money. My house is on a bike path that stretches for miles in either direction, so I bought a decent pair of running shoes and started.

I'm not focused on running a 5k, it would be a great "side effect", but its not my goal.

My goal is to be able to run for 30-45minutes comfortably so that I can feel fit and that I'm doing my best to take care of my heart, so that I can lose/maintain weight, and so I have an aerobic activity that I can do anywhere.

It has been really challenging. And right now I'm feeling very impatient with myself. I want it to hurt less and be easier, and now please.

I had a few runs, two weeks back, when I had that rush of endorphins afterwards and I felt like a million dollars. I'd quite like that feeling again. And I'd love to get to a point where that is how I feel after every run.

Two things I'm currently struggling with and would love to hear other people's experiences of:

Finding a comfortable pace as the running intervals become longer
and breath control, I'm still having a hard time maintaining a good breathing rhythm.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
I've recently added running to my exercise routine.

I've never particularly enjoyed it and I've not run consistently since I was a teenager and training for sports teams.

I'm currently in week 5 of the C25k programme, but I'll be running week 4 again because I had a miserable time of it last week. Week 4 heralds in the 5minute intervals and I struggled through every single one of them.

I started C25k because I was growing bored with speed walking and I knew I needed to up my aerobic activity to continue to lose weight. I also needed an aerobic activity that required very little money. My house is on a bike path that stretches for miles in either direction, so I bought a decent pair of running shoes and started.

I'm not focused on running a 5k, it would be a great "side effect", but its not my goal.

My goal is to be able to run for 30-45minutes comfortably so that I can feel fit and that I'm doing my best to take care of my heart, so that I can lose/maintain weight, and so I have an aerobic activity that I can do anywhere.

It has been really challenging. And right now I'm feeling very impatient with myself. I want it to hurt less and be easier, and now please.

I had a few runs, two weeks back, when I had that rush of endorphins afterwards and I felt like a million dollars. I'd quite like that feeling again. And I'd love to get to a point where that is how I feel after every run.

Two things I'm currently struggling with and would love to hear other people's experiences of:

Finding a comfortable pace as the running intervals become longer
and breath control, I'm still having a hard time maintaining a good breathing rhythm.
Always love your posts! Thanks for sharing your experiences here, Sparkle.

I gotta tell you... I don't have working knowledge of what I am/am not doing right now. I'm just doing it. I will say, though, that I start my little jog at what I would call a snail's pace because I know me and if I start out any faster it will hurt and I will quit.

My wife told me that as she looks around at others, I'm going at their pace or better. I find that hard to believe because I feel like I'm just shuffling along, but I may very well be unaware of exactly how strong my pace is. *shrug*

My breathing feels good, which really is the most shocking part of all for me. And I wish I could tell you what I'm doing, but I really don't know; I just started this, and I gave myself permission to go slow so that I could keep moving at a pace other than a walk for longer and longer periods of time.

Sometimes I'm afraid if I think too much about it, I'll mess myself up. I'm pretty sure I'll get to a point where I want to do better and have more knowledge of what's really going on; until then, I'm freakin' stoked that I haven't quit yet!!

I like your thoughts about having an activity you can do anywhere. I never thought about it that way before.

Kelt, in the weight loss thread, shared this article with me. It's exactly what I needed to reinforce my decision to go this route.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0825105018.htm
Old 09-07-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Thinker.

Just like you, I went from moving to moving more. Then up stairs. To some jogging and then some running and some walking. I wasn't enjoying running or jogging, but was getting my heart rate up and knew I was doing my heart good. Like you, kept doing it, every day a little more, and a little longer. One day I RAN long enough to catch what they call the runners high. Wow. I wanted that every time I ran, and it came easier, quicker the more I ran. Within a reasonable amount of time, I became a runner.

I started to enter 5k's, 10'ks, half marathons, full marathons.....it's still my activity of choice-as I get into the *zone* very quickly.

Unfortunately, I have very high arches and do not have the feet to be a runner. I bought the arch supports (orthotics) but still sufferred from planar fascitis. Nothing like waking up every morning and walking on knife blades. Reluctantly, I have had to accept the elliptical machine in the gym. Every once in a while, I'll push the envelope and take off for a couple mile run, knowing darn well I am risking inviting plantar fascitis back into my life.
I am considering a 10 k in October. I will only train on the eliptical. No road work. IF I do this. It is good for you, but it's not for every one.
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
Anastasia

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Not Looking

Anastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST Reputation

Congratulations on the 10 minute milestone! That is fantastic!

I have been running for about 6 years now, and I finally do not giggle when I call myself a runner.

I love it. When I started I could not run for more than 3 minutes and even then I was staring at my watch convinced that I had encountered a small tear in the time-space continuum. It was awful. It stayed pretty hard for a while, but I lived off the accomplishment I felt at the end of the run. Eventually, I found that if I was consistent it actually got easier and I started to enjoy it even during the run. I thought that only happened for those skinny bitches in their boy shorts and jog bras. Nope, it is for us mortal folk too!

I found that I like doing running events and I have run a lot of them. I am a tad bit obsessive at times. I prefer running on trails, while harder due to hills, are much more enjoyable due to scenery. "Pretty" will distract me from just about anything. I am currently training for my 13th marathon in Portland in October, which is a road marathon, but in a city I have never been to so I am excited.

I love talking to runners, new and experienced and have had the honor of running many first 5ks, 10ks, half marathons and marathons with new runners.

I am UBER excited about this thread. (I will calm down, sorry )

Oh and as for breathing rhythm, slow down. It may feel like you are running WAY too slow and just shuffling, but you can get into a rhythm with your breathing and go longer distances. Eventually, by virtue of increased fitness, you will get faster. There are other tricks to getting faster, but I would focus on getting distance and fitness first and then work on speedwork. Just my 2 cents. I am by NO means an expert, but I have a hell of a lot of fun when I run.
Anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anastasia For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow band View Post
Hi Thinker.

Just like you, I went from moving to moving more. Then up stairs. To some jogging and then some running and some walking. I wasn't enjoying running or jogging, but was getting my heart rate up and knew I was doing my heart good. Like you, kept doing it, every day a little more, and a little longer. One day I RAN long enough to catch what they call the runners high. Wow. I wanted that every time I ran, and it came easier, quicker the more I ran. Within a reasonable amount of time, I became a runner.

I started to enter 5k's, 10'ks, half marathons, full marathons.....it's still my activity of choice-as I get into the *zone* very quickly.

Unfortunately, I have very high arches and do not have the feet to be a runner. I bought the arch supports (orthotics) but still sufferred from planar fascitis. Nothing like waking up every morning and walking on knife blades. Reluctantly, I have had to accept the elliptical machine in the gym. Every once in a while, I'll push the envelope and take off for a couple mile run, knowing darn well I am risking inviting plantar fascitis back into my life.
I am considering a 10 k in October. I will only train on the eliptical. No road work. IF I do this. It is good for you, but it's not for every one.
Yikes. Sorry about the arch issues.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences; it's motivating for sure.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #11
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
Congratulations on the 10 minute milestone! That is fantastic!

I have been running for about 6 years now, and I finally do not giggle when I call myself a runner.

I love it. When I started I could not run for more than 3 minutes and even then I was staring at my watch convinced that I had encountered a small tear in the time-space continuum. It was awful. It stayed pretty hard for a while, but I lived off the accomplishment I felt at the end of the run. Eventually, I found that if I was consistent it actually got easier and I started to enjoy it even during the run. I thought that only happened for those skinny bitches in their boy shorts and jog bras. Nope, it is for us mortal folk too!

I found that I like doing running events and I have run a lot of them. I am a tad bit obsessive at times. I prefer running on trails, while harder due to hills, are much more enjoyable due to scenery. "Pretty" will distract me from just about anything. I am currently training for my 13th marathon in Portland in October, which is a road marathon, but in a city I have never been to so I am excited.

I love talking to runners, new and experienced and have had the honor of running many first 5ks, 10ks, half marathons and marathons with new runners.

I am UBER excited about this thread. (I will calm down, sorry )

Oh and as for breathing rhythm, slow down. It may feel like you are running WAY too slow and just shuffling, but you can get into a rhythm with your breathing and go longer distances. Eventually, by virtue of increased fitness, you will get faster. There are other tricks to getting faster, but I would focus on getting distance and fitness first and then work on speedwork. Just my 2 cents. I am by NO means an expert, but I have a hell of a lot of fun when I run.
Thanks for sharing!!! Nice to know I'm starting off much like many others.

I've been dreading going out this morning, but this motivated me to go out and get it done! Thank you!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation
Wink uuughm CLEARS THROAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
SNIP>

I thought that only happened for those skinny bitches in their boy shorts and jog bras.
>>SKINNY BITCHES

and they are not boys shorts. They are running skorts

If it makes you feel any better, those running bra's can make you pay a price. A dislocated shoulder to get them off!
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Quote:
A dislocated shoulder to get them off!
Sounds like my old binder days...

I did 51 minutes this morning......37 minutes of jogging time. My first round of jogging was for 12 minutes!
Old 09-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
Just_G

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Switch, Comedian...G...whichever.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He....with an e!
Relationship Status:
I'll take kinky & twisted for $200, Alex!!

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 6,165 Times in 1,450 Posts
Just_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST Reputation

Great thread Thinker! I have always done a walk/run combo...even worked myself up to running 2 miles at one point, but once school started I quit running. Now I have started again and it is not as easy this time because I have been so inactive when studying.

I have a 1 mile route through my neighborhood that is all different terrains from flat, up-hill, and down-hill. It zig-zags around, so I run the north/south blocks and walk the east/west blocks. I finally got a digital watch last night and am going to start timing how much I am running vs. walking.

I am very committed to making this work this time! Especially now that I can go with my boxer Frankie...took me a while to get her leash trained and calmed down enough to take with me.

I am also waiting for my new Asics running shoes to get here....then I will be tearing up the trail...lol
Old 09-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_G View Post
Great thread Thinker! I have always done a walk/run combo...even worked myself up to running 2 miles at one point, but once school started I quit running. Now I have started again and it is not as easy this time because I have been so inactive when studying.

I have a 1 mile route through my neighborhood that is all different terrains from flat, up-hill, and down-hill. It zig-zags around, so I run the north/south blocks and walk the east/west blocks. I finally got a digital watch last night and am going to start timing how much I am running vs. walking.

I am very committed to making this work this time! Especially now that I can go with my boxer Frankie...took me a while to get her leash trained and calmed down enough to take with me.

I am also waiting for my new Asics running shoes to get here....then I will be tearing up the trail...lol
Right on, G!!! Good luck!

I wear Asics too....just bought my second pair a few days ago.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #16
Just_G

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Switch, Comedian...G...whichever.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He....with an e!
Relationship Status:
I'll take kinky & twisted for $200, Alex!!

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 6,165 Times in 1,450 Posts
Just_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
Right on, G!!! Good luck!

I wear Asics too....just bought my second pair a few days ago.
You already wore a pair out!!?

Man, this running gig is going to be expensive!
Old 09-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #17
Anastasia

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Not Looking

Anastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST ReputationAnastasia Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
>>SKINNY BITCHES

and they are not boys shorts. They are running skorts

If it makes you feel any better, those running bra's can make you pay a price. A dislocated shoulder to get them off!
Please do not take offense. I mean 'skinny bitch' in the most venomous, jealous-female with body issues, way possible. It was an homage.

I just LOVE when you all bounce past me with your happy little f*&%ing ponytails swinging away, looking almost as if the trail is lovingly tossing you in the air while I suck wind like it contains last molecule of oxygen in the atmosphere with my feet barely leaving the ground.

*grin*

Seriously though, I am sorry to hear about your arches. I have had many runner friends have to give up the sport because regardless of fitness (and skinny bitchness ) it was hard on their body. Me? I am built like a brick shithouse, so I am all good. My knees will complain sometimes, but predominately trail running and finding the right show has helped immensely with that.
Anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anastasia For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #18
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,056 Times in 2,077 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

That is awesome! Funny, cause today after work, I was going to start C25K again myself. I did that program a year ago, and was running 3 miles regularly, but stopped and lost my stamina. I also am on WW Lost 60 lbs, but gained 16 back. I have set a goal of losing 20 lbs before January 1st. I know jogging will definitely help me reach that goal!!

Thanks for the post. I look forward to checking in!

:-)
Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #19
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_G View Post
You already wore a pair out!!?

Man, this running gig is going to be expensive!
Nooooo. The first pair I've had for over a year. I liked 'em so much that I decided to stick with Asics when looking for a more "serious" shoe....ones I'd only use for my cardio.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #20
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
Like most people, I've never much cared for jogging or running.

Four months ago, I started using Weight Watchers online and eventually started adding a little exercise to the mix......weights and cardio in the form of stationary bike, stairs, and hills.

I avoided jogging because......well.......because I don't like it.

The weight loss has been promising as well as losing inches around my belly. Truthfully, the belly fat has been my issue. I finally accepted that the only way to rid myself of the last few pounds and inches is to start jogging.

Just last week, on September 1, I started a walk/jog program. I have surprised myself each day at how much of my time has been spent on jogging. I assume that the time I spent running stairs and hills got me in a little better shape than I realized.

So I have to admit that it hasn't been miserable and that I do feel inclined to continue down this path. I'd like to call myself a "jogger" one day, but I know I have to earn those stripes.

For now, I am eternally gratefully that I'm doing this, that nothing is hurting, and that I feel more and more confident each day. Today, for example, one of my "jog sessions" was 10-minutes long!! I jogged 10 consecutive minutes. (I did a total of 28 minutes today; my best was 30:30.)

My walk time between jogging sessions is 3 minutes, and I'm averaging 8 minutes of jogging per jog session. I fully expected to start with jog 1 and walk 4 for about 30 minutes, so you can probably see why I have surprised myself.

Any others here on the Planet who jog or run? How long have you been doing it? What is your workout like?
Hey Thinker good for you!!! I run all the time. Believe it or not you will become addicted. Not in a bad way, just that a day will come when you find yourself longing to run if you don't get to. Or you will be driving down a road thinking, hey this would be a great road to run on. I played basketball , softball. We would always have to run a mile before basketball practice, I would always be the fastest runner on my team. But I never enjoyed running, although I was always real fast, as far as distance running . I didn't like running it seemed painful and boring. But then I joined the Marine Corps and well you run ALOT in the Marine Corps. Not just running with sneakers on either. Running in full combat gear, with boots a pack and a rifle. Hills and sand and mud . So running with sneakers on a paved surface seemed real easy to me after that. HAHA Anyway I run to stay in shape. I know if it's too cold I dread it, so I don't run in the winter. But I run about 2-5 miles tues-sat. and sometimes on Sunday depends on how I feel. I run early in the am before the sun comes up. I'm not running for speed just pleasure. It's how I meditate. I get alot of thinking done then. But the reason I wrote this is to tell you, running is mind over matter. I have helped hundreds of people lose weight and get into shape. Most of them like you never ran before ever. Housewives and teens all age ranges and body types. Running is more in the mind than the body. If you can walk 5 miles you can run 5 miles. I mean run without stopping. If you can walk 2 miles you can run 2 miles with out stopping. It's all in your mind. You have the ability , you just don't think you can or should whatever the reason. In fact most people can run a marathon right now if they wanted to, they just don't think they can. I mean physically they could do it with no adverse effects like stroke , heart attach , slipped discs, etc... Sore muscles yes , pain yes , but they could if they pushed themselves. They just talk themselves out of it. They let their body tell their mind what to do. It should be the other way around. Let your mind tell your body .Talk to yourself, seriously, it works wonders and it will change the way you operate when you run. Say things like, don't stop, don't quit, so what if it hurts, it should hurt. Tell yourself,you're out of shape because you've taken the easy way out for so long. Tell yourself motivating things. Like I'm going to run 2 miles without stopping no matter what. No walking allowed. No whimps allowed. Yesterday I was soft and I've been soft for too long ,no more taking it easy on myself. When you run the 2 miles without stopping and you cross the finish line, don't stop and bend over gasping for air, instead, sprint as fast as you can for as long as you can, then stop running. Then tell yourself, I did that just in case you thought 2 miles was too much for you, in case you thought you were tired , I wanted to show you , you weren't tired, you're just faking it. You are sort of your own personal hard core trainer. Try it, let me know how it works out for you.