Old 04-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
boobookitty

How Do You Identify?:
I like the tag Lipstick Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
not picky, but male pronouns are soothing to the psyche
Relationship Status:
not looking for more than friends

boobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up brain function and sexuality

I looked around and didn't find a place for this type of info. So if I missed it, this may need to be moved. But anyway, ...
Today on the TV show The Doctors, they had a segment about a man who 's sexual orientation changed after recovery from a stroke.

http://thedoctorstv.com/videolib/init/5525
Old 04-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

good subject

i worked with head injured folks before and one of the side effects of head trauma is heightened libido, pretty sad actually but the science part is amazing.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Lady_Di

How Do You Identify?:
Homo sapien

Thanked 1,486 Times in 315 Posts
Lady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST Reputation

Brain injuries of any type always change some of the essential personality of the person.

I have also worked with Traumatic Brain Injury folks and another part of their healing process is not being able to control emotions, lashing out and anger are actually signs that the brain is rewiring. Though it can be very dangerous for the nursing staff, PT and OT. Have known more than one nurse seriuosly injured by such a patient.

But my heart goes out to anyone suffering with a brain injury. Often times they have to relearn everything, like they were brand new babies. It is very challenging. Yep, they definitely change from the people they once were. Personality wise, they will never be as they once were. And some of the most oddest changes can be found.

they will never be what they were once, and yet are any of us?...

Life is about change, accepting change and learning to adapt to those changes. Freedom is never free, for the brain injured or anyone on a rehab unit for whatever reason. My favourite population was the spinal cord injured folks, some also had brain injury. I learned a lot working that unit, have often thought about going back into Rehab. But I think I am getting too old, mebbe, mebbe not. We shall see...

oh, another fascinating brain injury classic tale... the guy that had that huge pipe go straight thru his head. They left it in, but he was an entirely different man, personality wise. He became a low down dirty dog, mean as a rattle snake.

Humans are amazing creatures, no?
Lady_Di is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady_Di For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
boobookitty

How Do You Identify?:
I like the tag Lipstick Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
not picky, but male pronouns are soothing to the psyche
Relationship Status:
not looking for more than friends

boobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputation

"Brain injuries of any type always change some of the essential personality of the person."

This is something I understand very well, depending on the depth of the injury, core traits and values can remain... but it can take years before the brain is really stable and behavior becomes fixed.

"But my heart goes out to anyone suffering with a brain injury. Often times they have to relearn everything, like they were brand new babies. It is very challenging. Yep, they definitely change from the people they once were. Personality wise, they will never be as they once were. And some of the most oddest changes can be found."

Again it varies with the depth of the injury, I have discribed it as being like waking up from a coma and having to rebuild my life.

"they will never be what they were once, and yet are any of us?..."

That is a very kind and thoughtful statment, Finding friends who can understand and accept the changes is a challenge. I have wondered how much, is because of the constant reminder that we are all vulnerable.

"Life is about change, accepting change and learning to adapt to those changes. Freedom is never free,"

Very true, life is about learning and growning... making new friends along the path we wake up and find ourselves on...

"Humans are amazing creatures, no?"

very much so!