Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Finding Your People - Special Groups

Finding Your People - Special Groups Are you a member of AA? Neurodiverse? a Vegan? Find your people here!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #261
PearlsNLace

How Do You Identify?:
queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
They/Them & her/she
Relationship Status:
Lucky, very lucky

Thanked 1,286 Times in 315 Posts
PearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST Reputation

It is amazing to me sometimes how hard some people will work at getting the labels, to soak up the resources, to get what they think is a free pass at life.

It makes me mad and weary, for I am also the advocate that fights for people when they do need resources and just can't get them.

I'm not saying I judge who is disabled and who is not. I am saying that we health care providers see a lot more than some patients give us credit for. Especially in small towns.

AND your not alone. thetrevorproject.org
PearlsNLace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PearlsNLace For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #262
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

This is my new video about accessibility on NYC public transportation.

dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #263
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

Are other cities as bad as NYC, in regard to wheelchair accessibility?
The Following User Says Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #264
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,435 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

i've never lived in a big city, but i would say both charlottesville and lawrence (smallish - 80k-120k folks) are awful, and both get away with it in the name of being "historic." i love living in places with a strong sense of history, but the cobblestone streets, uneven and poorly maintained sidewalks, and lack of accessible housing and public spaces are upsetting. most businesses are not physically accessible because they are in "historic" areas and don't have to comply with ada, most housing was built before the ada and there are few ground-level apartments, etc. people have chosen not to find ways to incorporate elevators, lifts, and ramps into businesses and houses, even when that might be an option.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #265
meridiantoo

How Do You Identify?:
A Speck in the Milky Way
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Monogamous relationship

Thanked 2,299 Times in 890 Posts
meridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputation

If you can say that a person with a disability does not deserve, has not earned, whatever terminology you want to use, a free pass to those rights others enjoy, then I think that is blind-sided and selfish, period. If you know anyone with a disability who has had to struggle with the basics of life, seen for you own eyes the doors slammed, the accesses denied, the lack of quality healthcare in some cases (I've seen this), and the difficulties encountered when trying to have a basic sense of life, then you know that pass is there for a reason, and while some will take advantage of it, just like some people will take advantage of any situation for personal gain, what is the solution other than a pass?

I think it comes down to what society you want to live in, be a part of, and embrace. Do you want to be a society that lives by a dog-eat-dog mentality, I had to do it on my own, so why shouldn't everybody else mindset, or do you want to be a part of culture that believes we are here to help one another? That may sound archaic to some, but it's really not. We all had help to get where we are, all of us. The reason ADA was put in place is because it's necessary, and without it, businesses, retail stores, neighborhoods, public transportation, would have gone serving the enabled majority. Many still do. For a disabled person, asking them to assimilate into the majority is wrong, as much as it is wrong to ask a butch dyke to assimilate into mainstream straight culture. It's not like learning a new language.

What I find most offensive is how the LGBTQ community screams for equality, but many times it doesn't really want equality for all. And that makes me sick.

I can't fathom why anyone would think a pass is an actual pass at all. It levels the playing field at best, and usually gives people just enough to get by.

And this is for dix , give me enough time, and I'll provide as many statistics, links, information, case studies, court cases and whatever else is needed to support this. It's worth it to me if it means it brings facts to the table that reveal a hidden or unseen truth.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm very passionate about some things.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:50 AM   #266
meridiantoo

How Do You Identify?:
A Speck in the Milky Way
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Monogamous relationship

meridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputation

I want to apologize for my rant. Although I still hold those thoughts as true, I just reacted emotionally to a debate I see that I just can't understand sometimes. Perhaps there are things I do not know, understand, or perceptions I have that block me. Sometimes, the answers are simple.

Dix, I hope you know I was teasing you. I would hope you do. You are a good debator and I wanted to have fun with that.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #267
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridiantoo View Post

What I find most offensive is how the LGBTQ community screams for equality, but many times it doesn't really want equality for all. And that makes me sick. .
A few thoughts:
Good rant!
I wish more people would get mad about injustice.
What the heck is "the LGBTQ community"? - (that's a theoretical question)
And I've made a commitment to only attend/go to events that are wheelchair accessible. That's just a small step- pun intended.

As a builder, I wish there was 'political will' around shelter justice the way there is around food justice. So sadly ironic when I pass all these "localvore" restaurants and stores that aren't accessible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #268
meridiantoo

How Do You Identify?:
A Speck in the Milky Way
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Monogamous relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykeumentary View Post
A few thoughts:
Good rant!
I wish more people would get mad about injustice.
What the heck is "the LGBTQ community"? - (that's a theoretical question)
And I've made a commitment to only attend/go to events that are wheelchair accessible. That's just a small step- pun intended.

As a builder, I wish there was 'political will' around shelter justice the way there is around food justice. So sadly ironic when I pass all these "localvore" restaurants and stores that aren't accessible.
Ha! Thanks. I'm not sure if it was good, but better to be irate about injustice than indifferent. I figure if we all have our share of things we fight for, in the end, those injustices will be reversed - maybe not in our own lifetime, but eventually. Mostly, I think you have to try to live by example, and that is the hardest thing, for me it is.

I'm not sure if you mean theoretical and rhetorical, or just theoretical. We're a diverse group for sure, the LGBTQ community. I am by no means able to define it adequately. But, it just seems if you are going to fight for equality, as a person of a counter-culture, or a person of any difference than the norm, then you want equality for all. I have struggled with my own hypocracy in this area and still do at times. I grew up listening to the socio-political diatribes at the dinner table of my parents, etc. of the whys and hows of society and how things are, how they got to be the way they are. It taught me to want more, more from myself, more from others, more from society, and more from the world. Sometimes, you want in vain. But, sometimes not.

I can't understand the problem with ADA compliance either. I mean, I do, on some level. But, as you say, it's really disheartening at times to see when people who should make a difference choose not to. I like to think that people do try to, in their own ways, where and when they can. But, then you see basic things like grocery stores that are inaccessible and wonder what the solution is. America likes to boast of fighting for freedom, but at the end of the day, it seems a selective freedom. I would like to think we are evolving, but history makes me think we really aren't. It seems more of a horizontal switch.

That's a great commitment on your part@only going to accessible events. It's a small step, but a step nonetheless. I like to use buying power to make my small difference in the world too. I don't always do this, but I try to support local and families/individuals where possible.

Thanks for the response, and nice to meet you