Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Finding Your People - Special Groups

Finding Your People - Special Groups Are you a member of AA? Neurodiverse? a Vegan? Find your people here!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #41
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Default food allergies-

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...curiouser.html

since so many of us have different types of sensitivities/allergies-

bit, thank you so much for your thoughtful response! i hope that you keep the snow prints at bay

andrew, i get what you mean on some areas- the crowds, especially ~

violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #42
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Oh yes, the crowds.

I do have numerous allergies too. It is always something.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #43
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation

andrew,

i cannot think of anyone asking me the questions people have asked of you in such a personal manner! however, i do believe there may have been some rude people on the other end of a telephone conversation- when i could not get my words/sentences collected quickly enough! actually, during calls i've placed to businesses, i've heard comments that i'm taking too long, could i hurry up, what is my point- et c.

oh well.

if anyone spends enough time around me, something will be detected - either mannerisms/quirks - or phraseologies! something surfaces eventually. i have learned to sort of notice wheels turning- a wondering of what a finger cannot be placed on - with regard to my "condition!" ha. it can be comical- probably on both ends!

hang in-

belle
ox

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #44
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Thanked 12,951 Times in 3,466 Posts
Spirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post
I forgot to mention my Aspi symptoms. I hope this helps too.

I have a routine that I stick with. If that is changed or altered without my knowing, I get upset.

I go thru stages of collecting things. For example, I am still in my religious stage where I collect religious icons. When my older sister died, I received so many. It was overload. Rosie had to help me with this. It was just wayyy too much.

Then there is my obsession with the weather. I even have a chart for hurricanes. I focus in on just 1 thing of the weather. That is it. Anything else is boring to me.

The one thing I cannot stand is when someone refers to me as retard or asks me if I am schizophrenic. I am at a loss of what to say. I have ocd, and depression from being constantly frustrated. I am just not good with words. They tangle me up.

I've highlighted the part that sends me screaming, until people can learn to stop judging others based on what they precieve and instead get to know a person, learn about their condition before placing judgement, it truly looks bad on society. At times it's a if we're in the 50's where Aspie's and MR people were locked away.
Shoyuld it be in passing that you meet an Aspie person don't judge them try to understand or merely zip it and walk away.
Andrew so sorry this happened to you. Hugs
Spirit Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spirit Dancer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #45
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
{{{{{{{{{{{{belle}}}}}}}}}}}}

Both happen to me, love; I am slowly coming to understand when I am overloaded while it's still happening. The worst for me is when I am at a really big store with a LOT of noise, like a Home Depot with the forklifts backing up and beeping, those extra loud announcements they make, and the echoes of everything (including customer noise) off the hard surfaces; also in a Walmart, with lots of people making noise, kids crying or screaming... sometimes that happens to me in the regular grocery store, too, if kids are screaming and the muzak is playing and announcements are being made... *shudders*

I've noticed that fluorescent lights and concrete floors are also a bad combo for me.

BUT if I'm not in one of those places, I don't usually recognize that I'm overloaded until afterwards... and then I finds myself thinking, "well, duh! no wonder" and feeling kind of sheepish about not recognizing it while it was happening.

I stopped reading the hsp book, btw... she was talking a lot about social cues and responding appropriately and it's really valuable--I found myself wondering if it might be as valuable to someone who has Asperger's as to people who are highly sensitive because of the emphasis she puts on setting appropriate social boundaries and on responding appropriately; it's really gentle and full of information--but life itself suddenly got overwhelming to me and I put the book down. I have to finish it soon.

Oh how I relate. Walmart is painful. The lights are bad bad bad. We usually go late at night when it is empty. Walmart is 1 mile away so we are lucky there. The grocery store has lower lights and is much better. In walmart I usually know and can feel myself reaching my breaking point.

At work I just try to go find something to do (I work in a group home) in another room for a while. I usually need to veg when I get home. I want to focus and not deal with things for a while. Interestingly, 99.9% of the time the individuals I work with don't impact me negatively. Staff is a different story. LOL

And there are the times I reach my breaking point when I don't know it is coming. The tv can do that to me. Almost like a switch.

Sometimes I feel bad, like I can not handle things, yet I am most excellent at handling things, getting things done, doing the right thing, and being responsible.

I do not like to see to much of the news cause it will stress me out.

If I have to many projects I will want/need dedicate time to getting them caught up. Actually this goes for getting behind on anything.

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amiyesiam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #46
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Andrew, belle, Spirit Dancer}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} group hug!

Time for me to run some errands while the sun is still shining... tomorrow I'll be hibernating in the snow!
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #47
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Aaaaaack, I didn't see your post! {{{{{{{{{{{{{{Ami}}}}}}}}}}}}

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiyesiam View Post
Oh how I relate. Walmart is painful.
Yanno something, darlin, I don't think there could be a better way to describe it! By the time I come out of the store, my legs, my back and my head are usually all screaming at me... and my nerves are SO jangled. It's pain on every level for me.

Quote:
I usually need to veg when I get home. I want to focus and not deal with things for a while.
Gryph and I both react this way also. Sometimes it's torture trying to get the groceries or laundry put away before I can sit down.... and when Gryph gets home from work, he sits at the computer. That's his time; it's how he decompresses.

Quote:
And there are the times I reach my breaking point when I don't know it is coming. The tv can do that to me. Almost like a switch.

Oh! I never thought of that!

I find that television hypnotizes me, and I hate that, resist it with all my might--but it happens anyway. So I just simply don't watch tv. Thinking about it, though, yes, I have overloaded from a television on!

The only place I'm forced to endure it now is the laundromat---and I always overload at the laundromat. The lights flicker and whine, the ceiling fans whir and cast flickering shadows, the machines grind and whine and roll and beep, the television blares... ohhhhhhh it is torture just as painful as Walmart is!!

Quote:
Sometimes I feel bad, like I can not handle things, yet I am most excellent at handling things, getting things done, doing the right thing, and being responsible.
I find that feeling goes along with overload and meltdown too, that "I am incompetent, I cannot even handle life" feeling.... not at all pleasant! And also, yanno, not ordinarily true.

Right now I'd better handle those errands. *smiling* Talk to everyone later.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #48
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

I am use to be called retard or schitzophrenic. I was always referred too as this since I was in elementary school. I was different. I learned differently, I was a boy locked in a girl's body, and so on. It is like a long playing record with a deep scratch on it. It gets tiring after a while. And no matter what I say, or how I try to defend myself, there is always someone who will continue to bagger me. They enjoy it. Trolls is my label for them. I hope this makes sense.

Bit, I would recommend playing a walkman or ipod while doing laundry. Another thing you could do is to wear the noise cancelling headphones. I have a set, but they still allow some noise in. Bose is the best you can buy. I got mine from Greek Music online. They are by Coby.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #49
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thank you for the headphone advice, Andrew! I appreciate it!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #50
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Thanked 12,951 Times in 3,466 Posts
Spirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST Reputation

Temple Grandin, Ph.D., is the most accomplished and well-known adult with autism in the world. Now her fascinating life, with all its challenges and successes is being brought to the screen. HBO has produced the full-length film Temple Grandin, which premieres on Saturday, February 6th on HBO. She has been featured on NPR (National Public Radio), major television programs, such as the BBC special "The Woman Who Thinks Like a Cow", ABC's Primetime Live, The Today Show, Larry King Live, 48 Hours and 20/20, and has been written about in many national publications, such as Time magazine, People magazine, Forbes, U.S. News and World Report, and New York Times. Among numerous other recognitions by media, Bravo Cable did a half-hour show on her life, and she was featured in the best-selling book, Anthropologist from Mars.

Dr. Grandin didn't talk until she was three and a half years old, communicating her frustration instead by screaming, peeping, and humming. In 1950, she was diagnosed with autism and her parents were told she should be institutionalized. She tells her story of "groping her way from the far side of darkness" in her book Emergence: Labeled Autistic, a book which stunned the world because, until its publication, most professionals and parents assumed that an autism diagnosis was virtually a death sentence to achievement or productivity in life.

Dr. Grandin has become a prominent author and speaker on the subject of autism because "I have read enough to know that there are still many parents, and yes, professionals too, who believe that 'once autistic, always autistic.' This dictum has meant sad and sorry lives for many children diagnosed, as I was in early life, as autistic. To these people, it is incomprehensible that the characteristics of autism can be modified and controlled. However, I feel strongly that I am living proof that they can" (from Emergence: Labeled Autistic).

Even though she was considered "weird" in her young school years, she eventually found a mentor, who recognized her interests and abilities. Dr. Grandin later developed her talents into a successful career as a livestock-handling equipment designer, one of very few in the world. She has now designed the facilities in which half the cattle are handled in the United States, consulting for firms such as Burger King, McDonald's, Swift, and others.

Dr. Grandin presently works as a Professor of Animal Science at Colorado State University. She also speaks around the world on both autism and cattle handling. At every Future Horizons conference on autism, the audience rates her presentation as 10+.

(as stated on her website http://www.templegrandin.com/)
Spirit Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Spirit Dancer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #51
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Many thanks for posting this.

When Bratboy was first dx 14 years ago, I read quite a bit about her and her life. It was fascinating to me that she developed the "Hug machine."

In looking at her website, I see that she has some upcoming conferences - Nashville April 2nd and Richmond April 16th. I think that I will have both Jess and I attend the Richmond one.

Thanks again - I would have hated to miss the show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Dancer View Post
Temple Grandin, Ph.D., is the most accomplished and well-known adult with autism in the world. Now her fascinating life, with all its challenges and successes is being brought to the screen. HBO has produced the full-length film Temple Grandin, which premieres on Saturday, February 6th on HBO. She has been featured on NPR (National Public Radio), major television programs, such as the BBC special "The Woman Who Thinks Like a Cow", ABC's Primetime Live, The Today Show, Larry King Live, 48 Hours and 20/20, and has been written about in many national publications, such as Time magazine, People magazine, Forbes, U.S. News and World Report, and New York Times. Among numerous other recognitions by media, Bravo Cable did a half-hour show on her life, and she was featured in the best-selling book, Anthropologist from Mars.

Dr. Grandin didn't talk until she was three and a half years old, communicating her frustration instead by screaming, peeping, and humming. In 1950, she was diagnosed with autism and her parents were told she should be institutionalized. She tells her story of "groping her way from the far side of darkness" in her book Emergence: Labeled Autistic, a book which stunned the world because, until its publication, most professionals and parents assumed that an autism diagnosis was virtually a death sentence to achievement or productivity in life.

Dr. Grandin has become a prominent author and speaker on the subject of autism because "I have read enough to know that there are still many parents, and yes, professionals too, who believe that 'once autistic, always autistic.' This dictum has meant sad and sorry lives for many children diagnosed, as I was in early life, as autistic. To these people, it is incomprehensible that the characteristics of autism can be modified and controlled. However, I feel strongly that I am living proof that they can" (from Emergence: Labeled Autistic).

Even though she was considered "weird" in her young school years, she eventually found a mentor, who recognized her interests and abilities. Dr. Grandin later developed her talents into a successful career as a livestock-handling equipment designer, one of very few in the world. She has now designed the facilities in which half the cattle are handled in the United States, consulting for firms such as Burger King, McDonald's, Swift, and others.

Dr. Grandin presently works as a Professor of Animal Science at Colorado State University. She also speaks around the world on both autism and cattle handling. At every Future Horizons conference on autism, the audience rates her presentation as 10+.

christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #52
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

Default my so called life- claire dane plays temple grandin

i just listened to a review of the film, based on temple grandin's life-

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...ntimental.html

when temple visits the farm of a family member, the director turns up the volume to make everything louder, and everything - even visuals more frightening -

"inspirational movie" & temple certainly shows the connection between animal/human behaviour.

i think she has done such amazing work with the hug machine, humane treatment for farm animals [even though i'm total vegan], i appreciate that she can put herself in slaughterhouse to educate/promote her services and products- due to her inherent realisation about cows "cattle" as she calls them, being hyper.sensitive loud sounds, things out of place - a shadow, thread, chain, train, lighting, hook, [all of which signal to cows danger out in wild], et c.

she is with a keen awareness to surroundings = senses/sensory issues/overload, and that's exactly how i am, too.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #53
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

not so crazy about how she responded to question asked of her by terry gross on npr- "do you think over time you become less autistic?"

temple said she was becoming "closer to 'normal' "

bah.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #54
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

I with you on that Violaine. I'm 46.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #55
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by violaine View Post
not so crazy about how she responded to question asked of her by terry gross on npr- "do you think over time you become less autistic?"

temple said she was becoming "closer to 'normal' "

bah.
I was just listening to that interview.

John Elder Robinson said something similar in Look me in the Eye. He explained that he didn't learn how to express emotion until he was in his forties. Robinson actually mentions Temple Grandin in his book, saying that she experienced a similar evolution.

My oldest (16) is in intensive social training and one of the things he studies is understanding body language and facial expressions. If it works and he can eventually do this, I imagine that he will feel differently and closer to "normal", as Grandin and Robinson mentioned.

I know that it can be annoying to hear people talk about being normal (and I have to say it does make me a little, too). It implies that anything other than typical is wrong or bad, but I've tried to adjust my thinking about it. My children are unique and I love them as they are, and I don't have them in therapies because I expect them to be "fixed" -but because if it helps them live an easier life by having the ability to understand other people, and appropriate social behavior, I'm all for it.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #56
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

semantics

thank you for writing here good on you for being so involved in making life easier on your 16 year old the part you wrote about 'adjusting your thinking' is a h.u.g.e. dealio

loved 'look me in the eye' and robison [and the work of his brother!].

support groups with parents, gparents, aunts, partners, et c. of people somewhere on the spectrum mixed with aspies can really open the eyes/minds of one another. parents [et c] open to 'adjusting their thinking' really stand a chance of being less fault-finding, having more patience, less pressuring of aspie to 'go outside and play like everyone else' and/or 'be normal'. acceptance of wiring differences really is essential- and i, too, always need to work on having some more patience/understanding for NTs!!

i can pull out the annoying bits and pieces from any source- dog behaviour, guinea pig books, neurological writings, spirituality, on and on- and take away the really stunning parts/words. temple grandin has accomplished so much, that i admire her for all of that passion, education, educating, and honesty.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #57
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

Default robison -

http://www.johnrobison.com/
Old 02-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #58
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Just dropping by to say hello. I am sick with pneumonia. And I am just exhausted. I hope everyone is doing well, and life is being kind to everyone.

Andrew

Old 02-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #59
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

Default love!

[QUOTE=Spirit Dancer;43908]Temple Grandin, Ph.D., is the most accomplished and well-known adult with autism in the world. Now her fascinating life, with all its challenges and successes is being brought to the screen. HBO has produced the full-length film Temple Grandin, which premieres on Saturday, February 6th on HBO. She has been featured on NPR (National Public Radio), major television programs, such as the BBC special "The Woman Who Thinks Like a Cow", ABC's Primetime Live, The Today Show, Larry King Live, 48 Hours and 20/20, and has been written about in many national publications, such as Time magazine, People magazine, Forbes, U.S. News and World Report, and New York Times. Among numerous other recognitions by media, Bravo Cable did a half-hour show on her life, and she was featured in the best-selling book, Anthropologist from Mars.

just found your post-

great minds

ox
Old 02-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #60
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

http://aspergersquare8.blogspot.com/...-document.html

The Checklist of Neurotypical Privilege

I have never been asked to prove that I am neurotypical.

I am allowed to use the word “we” without being accused of trying to speak for all neurotypical people.

I can share my opinions publicly without fear of being accused of not really being neurotypical.

I can assume that police officers will not become alarmed at my natural body language, and find it necessary to subdue me in advance of any wrongdoing.

I can reveal to my boss and coworkers that I am NT, without fear of losing my job.

I can assume that most restaurants, theaters, stores and other places I would like to go will not be so loud or brightly lit or crowded that I will become unable to function at a basic level.

I can easily find other NT people in movies or on television shows that are not explicitly about being neurotypical.

When people realize I am neurotypical, they do not ask me if I am like a particular character they have seen in a movie.

I do not have to fear that important decisions about my life will be made by autistic or other non-neurotypical people, just because I am neurotypical.

I am not expected to alter or suppress my natural ways of moving, interacting or expressing emotion in most circumstances.

If I fail to alter or suppress my natural ways of moving, interacting or expressing emotion, I do not fear public ridicule or exclusion because of this.

When seeking medical care, I am not expected to reveal that I am NT.

When attempting to purchase health insurance, I do not fear I will be rejected because I am NT.

The majority of people who make the laws of my nation share my neurology.
I am never or rarely asked to explain what it means or what it is like to be neurotypical.

I can talk about my life without being asked what I think may have caused me to be neurotypical.

If I have a medical problem, I do not worry that my doctor will dismiss it as part of my neurotypicality.

If I am happy with the way my mind works, no one questions this or argues that most people with similar brains would prefer to be different.

People don’t usually confuse me with another neurotypical person, or expect me to take responsibility for what the other person has said.

I am not assumed to be incapable of empathy or compassion.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post: