PPoA - Southern Gentle Butch

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, he, him, handsome, Daddy
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Thanked 10,845 Times in 2,247 Posts
bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

HAPPY HUMP DAY!

Hope everyone has a great day! Bring on the 4 day weekend!!!

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Randy Pausch.
bkisbutchenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2012, 03:49 AM   #202
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I have so enjoyed these few days off...haven't thought about work much at all...will save that for Sunday afternoon...Hope all you educators had a good week!

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Randy Pausch.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 02:44 AM   #203
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

I may have done this on occasion....just saying....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #204
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation

Oy, off to school you lot!

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 04:50 AM   #205
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default *whine*

I don't want to go.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #206
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusciouskiwi View Post
Oy, off to school you lot!

Funny! Enuff said....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #207
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #208
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default for those who are from the USA and are Science teachers...what do you think of this?

The Following User Says Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #209
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I totally agree with the second guy's comment about undergraduate science education. I used to teach English -- as a TA -- at Michigan, and the freshman Chemistry and Physics classes were not about teaching to mastery, but about paring down the number of students who would someday apply to medical school and to graduate school in the sciences. Students who really wanted to learn Chemistry would take those classes at community colleges and transfer the credits. People blame the public schools because our students aren't prepared, but they can pass community college science classes, which cover much of the same material. A final in a Michigan Chemistry class typically has questions on material not even covered in the class. That's fine at MIT or Caltech, but that's absurd at Michigan, whose students, it's fair to assume, are there to learn things they don't already know.

And Michigan students are already privileged. They have had decent public or private school educations. So what happens when you bring kids in from other backgrounds? They don't make it, at least not as science majors. A friend of mine has a BA and MSW from Michigan and has had a good career as a social worker. However, he started Michigan hoping to become a doctor. The freshman math and science classes ended that dream. It made no sense. Bright guy, hard working, but from Flint public schools. He could not compete. Lots of universities teach lots of remedial classes now, but in my opinion, if they taught their freshman and sophomore classes well, the students would not need that much remediation. A hardworking student who is literate and has passed Algebra II should be able to pass a freshman Chemistry class. Freshman and sophomore science courses are abysmally taught, and a lot of folks in the sciences seem almost proud of that.

And if they are still counting on secondary education to make up for their failure, then they better move fast and start doing something about the end of course exams that are being instituted in so many states. Teaching to those tests will kill any teacher's ability to inspire students.

Re the visa issue and science in the U.S., totally true.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #210
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

I was in a meeting with a deranged mom today. Fortunately the kid just turned 18 and now legally makes his own decisions. If she had had any power, we would so have been screwed. She arrived 40 minutes early, a full half an hour before anyone else showed up. So for a half an hour, she directed all her craziness at me. It wasn't abusive, or I would have shut it down. But crazy and annoying. Her agenda wasn't about her kid either. It was all about her anger at her ex-husband.

I don't get paid enough.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #211
txdoc
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Wrangled

txdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
I was in a meeting with a deranged mom today. Fortunately the kid just turned 18 and now legally makes his own decisions. If she had had any power, we would so have been screwed. She arrived 40 minutes early, a full half an hour before anyone else showed up. So for a half an hour, she directed all her craziness at me. It wasn't abusive, or I would have shut it down. But crazy and annoying. Her agenda wasn't about her kid either. It was all about her anger at her ex-husband.

I don't get paid enough.
You didn't have to send her my way when she was finished with you...
txdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to txdoc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #212
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

The second 9 weeks starts today...all in all, I consider the 1st 9 a waste....I still have 71 beginners - hoping I can drop 11, get new general music students today - not looking forward to them - and the 'let me test this woman' period, but at least my 7th and 8th grade students are playing and will begin to work on Holiday music....moving forward the best I can.

ummmm - Is it Friday yet?

Old 10-16-2012, 04:16 AM   #213
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post

I don't get paid enough.
No you don't get paid enough! Holy cow the deranged ones can really put you over the edge. Sometimes warranted (the system and meetings can make anyone nuts) and most of the time not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkisbutchenuff View Post
The second 9 weeks starts today...all in all, I consider the 1st 9 a waste....I still have 71 beginners - hoping I can drop 11, get new general music students today - not looking forward to them - and the 'let me test this woman' period, but at least my 7th and 8th grade students are playing and will begin to work on Holiday music....moving forward the best I can.

ummmm - Is it Friday yet?
Best of luck BK... I wonder after all the years do you hate holiday music?
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 05:51 AM   #214
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Happy Hump Day!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #215
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

I had one of those "This is a thankless job" days today. Ruined my mood. I let it ruin my mood, rather.
The Following User Says Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2012, 03:20 AM   #216
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzerJ View Post
No you don't get paid enough! Holy cow the deranged ones can really put you over the edge. Sometimes warranted (the system and meetings can make anyone nuts) and most of the time not.

Best of luck BK... I wonder after all the years do you hate holiday music?
Yes! By the time the holiday is actually here, I'm a little burned out on the sounds of the Season ....

Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #217
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Beginning of the 9 weeks and my classes are as F---ed up as they were...7th and 8th grade classes with non-orchestra students in there causing trouble...lets see how long it last this time...
The new schedule is grueling...I barely have time to use the restroom...Today - super long and challenging....have to go get my picture made for our new badges this morning on the way to work...in between classes, finish our departments newsletter for tonight...curriculum/ptsa until 7:30....
all this after coming home yesterday and finding my water has been disconnected because I didn't pay my bill....Been a customer for 17 yrs and no call or anything....I don't recall seeing a bill or it would have been paid...so - in between everything else...deal with the water company...

Come on Friday and the weekend!!!!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2012, 05:29 AM   #218
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Default Field Trip Day!

Off for an over three hour bus ride to see a performance of The Pirates of Penzance. Nope, not a luxe bus, either. Oh well...maybe I can get some marking done.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2012, 03:52 AM   #219
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Yesterday was a very hard day....I've never had a total melt down - but I think I came close yesterday....I don't know what these people are thinking....I am a strong willed person, an excellent educator - but what they have done this year has almost brought me to my knees...things have happened this year that have not happened in 24 yrs prior...give me strenghth....
and
TGI

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2012, 05:29 AM   #220
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon View Post
Off for an over three hour bus ride to see a performance of The Pirates of Penzance. Nope, not a luxe bus, either. Oh well...maybe I can get some marking done.
Marking? What marking? Ha!

Spent the bus ride chit chatting with one my fave English peeps and staring out the window--I forgot how soothing a road trip can be (even with teenagers cackling with laughter behind me).

Sorry for your troubles, BK. I hope today is a better one.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:

Tags
careers, educators, gltb, network