Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #21
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Ol Butch Bones
Preferred Pronoun?:
Old Thing
Relationship Status:
Too old to play.

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

I disagree about oil. We have released a tremendous amount of carbon back into the environment, that took several billion years to bury.We dug up and released about 350 million years worth as of last year.We will be adding 10's of millions every year. We cannot remove this carbon from the atmosphere with current technology. Essentially , it's too late. So, I'm not going to worry about it. By releasing carbon back into the atmosphere, we are actually helping the planet back to it's normal state, and it's beneficial to plants. It's ironic that humans came during the last group of ice ages, and we will be responsible for ending them. Another reason it is pointless to inhibit CO2 release is because if we did, we would force the ice age. So, oil companies are only doing the will of the Earth right now. No need to worry, drive your SUV without guilt
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #22
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post

I think that almost any of theories could happen. I believe that earth changes are part of evolution and will happen regardless. I believe humans have accelerated the process. Then again some religious crazy group might find a way to end life as we know it.
I'm assuming you are using evolution in the non-technical sense of the term? So you think that without, say, the burning of fossil fuels--if we had stayed at, for sake of argument, a pre-17th century level of technology the temperature of the planet would *still* be rising at or around the same rate it is now? Because I'm just not sure how that would work given that *something* has to account for the change in temperature and if the burning of a lot of carbon that had been sequestered isn't it, then what would cause that temperature to happen? Or am I not understanding you when you say that you believe that the changes we are currently witnessing (as opposed to *any* change in climate) in climate are part of (organic?) evolution and that it would happen regardless of human action.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #23
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
I’m definitely not yours.

Thanked 32,066 Times in 9,974 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Question for Aj

Do you have any suggestions for credible, non-partisan, scientific sources of information regarding enviormental issues pertaining to water, soil, climate (micro- & macro- indexes) that a person could access online? If so, I'd be very interested in broadening my reading repertoire of such things.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide, Aj

______ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #24
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Do you have any suggestions for credible, non-partisan, scientific sources of information regarding enviormental issues pertaining to water, soil, climate (micro- & macro- indexes) that a person could access online? If so, I'd be very interested in broadening my reading repertoire of such things.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide, Aj
Quite honestly, I think that the best source is Scientific American. http://www.scientificamerican.com/.

They do a fantastic job of balancing articles that are accessible to a general readership while also having material written by working scientists whose work has been through the gauntlet of peer review. They are *not* a refereed (peer-reviewed) journal so they don't publish original research, rather they report on subjects that have already been published in journals.

Discover magazine also does a pretty good job: http://discovermagazine.com/

A lot of folks I know love New Scientist as well. I'm less fond of them but they still, on balance, do very solid science reportage for the general reader:

http://www.newscientist.com/

Slightly less approachable (because this is an actual refereed journal) is Nature magazine: http://www.nature.com/news/index.html. The thing is Nature is the gold-standard of science magazines. It is to science reporting what the Washington Post or the New York Times are to American news reporting, functioning as the 'paper of record' for the scientific community.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #25
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
I’m definitely not yours.

Thanked 32,066 Times in 9,974 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks Aj for providing those links, Aj

I just checked out Scientific American online
and I like it that a person can purchase a copy of
back issues or the current issue or subscribe in other
ways. What a great resource. Thank you!

______ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote