Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

Old 09-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #21
girllikeu2

How Do You Identify?:
Dingbat
Relationship Status:
Facebook Official

Thanked 1,100 Times in 288 Posts
girllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNguy View Post
Psssssstttttt. Whispers don't do it !!!!
Be a physical therapist they make soooo much more and have much less stress

P.S. if you laughed at that statement then becoming an RN is for you !
If you took offense to the statement , nursing isn't the path .
That's our humor bc the majority of us have an out there sence of humor at times. To be honest you have to laugh or you will mentally break down from the things you go through from nursing school to the real world. The money is ok , the stability is amazing, the positions are amazing, is ICU what you may like , well no , ok maybe try ortho , urology, neurology , dialysis nursing , home health ,,,, on and on you can pick from .
The overtime is great . If you think your shift ends in 12 hrs , well there comes the situation where you pt codes and your 12 hr shift turned into a 16 hr shift .
To be a nurse is the most AMAZING, REWARDING, HEARTBREAKING, ABUSIVE, STRESSFUL , CHALLENGING , DIVERSE , BEAUTIFUL CAREER TO HAVE .
Ask Anya, tangle , always2late, all the nurses will say its all of those described words in caps

I LOVE abuse! I am actually thinking I might not hate Hospice. I am a freak like that, and RNguy... you'd be amazed at how perverse and dark Sped. teachers are (especially those who work with fragile students) I bet we'd be great pals. I have (as a teacher) done many a G-tube feeding, timed a seizure and administered diastat, popped my gloved finger into the bloody mouth of an HIV+ kid who cracked his lip open on the slide (all teeth accounted for!) been exposed to TB (that was a fun little few months of testing) and attended more funerals of kids than I care to recall... soooooo. Sign me up for ALL of THAT! ... BUT remove the need to "prove educational gains" all while potentially making more money and I will be feeling frisky.
girllikeu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girllikeu2 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
RNguy

How Do You Identify?:
trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He preferredably :)
Relationship Status:
the pitbull <€

Thanked 2,267 Times in 510 Posts
RNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST Reputation

The RN program is very rough , its a lot of discipline. Its militant in the fact that the instructors prepare you for the real world . You are not always going to be treated nicely by the docs and certainly some pts and certainly families . They mold you into a strong , confident , knowledgable nurse . This is fabulous though and a blessing bc this is the nurse you need to be and who the pts and families need you to be.
If you take this road , find one of us for help or to vent to and give you the pep talk to get through it , we've all been through it and have probably cried or attempted to quit it .

* stupid endocrine/respiratory together ain't even right *
Old 09-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
girllikeu2

How Do You Identify?:
Dingbat
Relationship Status:
Facebook Official

Thanked 1,100 Times in 288 Posts
girllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
The RN program is very rough , its a lot of discipline. Its militant in the fact that the instructors prepare you for the real world . You are not always going to be treated nicely by the docs and certainly some pts and certainly families . They mold you into a strong , confident , knowledgable nurse . This is fabulous though and a blessing bc this is the nurse you need to be and who the pts and families need you to be.
If you take this road , find one of us for help or to vent to and give you the pep talk to get through it , we've all been through it and have probably cried or attempted to quit it .

* stupid endocrine/respiratory together ain't even right *
Tough, drill sergeanty instructors are good. I'd hope nursing students were being fed REALITY so they don't freak out and act stupid at a patient's expense. Wish education majors were treated to heavy reality too.
girllikeu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girllikeu2 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #24
RNguy

How Do You Identify?:
trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He preferredably :)
Relationship Status:
the pitbull <€

Thanked 2,267 Times in 510 Posts
RNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by girllikeu2 View Post
I LOVE abuse! I am actually thinking I might not hate Hospice. I am a freak like that, and RNguy... you'd be amazed at how perverse and dark Sped. teachers are (especially those who work with fragile students) I bet we'd be great pals. I have (as a teacher) done many a G-tube feeding, timed a seizure and administered diastat, popped my gloved finger into the bloody mouth of an HIV+ kid who cracked his lip open on the slide (all teeth accounted for!) been exposed to TB (that was a fun little few months of testing) and attended more funerals of kids than I care to recall... soooooo. Sign me up for ALL of THAT! ... BUT remove the need to "prove educational gains" all while potentially making more money and I will be feeling frisky.
Ya know , you will be just fine . Go for it !!!!! When you fill out your application and or have to write the essay to apply then everything you just said about the seizure , hiv, g tube alllllll of it make sure you write that in the essay . That's what they want are people with medical terminology who provide services to others first . CNAs they will get in fast , emts , etc... I am a former lab tech that's why I got in bc it wasn't my looks or handwriting skills
Old 08-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #25
Smiling

How Do You Identify?:
with a distinct flair

Thanked 4,382 Times in 1,009 Posts
Smiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST Reputation
Default Mid-life Career Change?

Yes!
Old 08-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #26
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Femme-ish, tomboy lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Together a really long time

Thanked 12,914 Times in 3,079 Posts
Gayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST Reputation

I'm toying with the idea of a mid-life career change myself, and if it wasn't for my sick spouse, I woulda done it already.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:02 AM   #27
Virago

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Single

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,128 Times in 306 Posts
Virago Has the BEST ReputationVirago Has the BEST ReputationVirago Has the BEST ReputationVirago Has the BEST ReputationVirago Has the BEST ReputationVirago Has the BEST ReputationVirago Has the BEST ReputationVirago Has the BEST ReputationVirago Has the BEST ReputationVirago Has the BEST ReputationVirago Has the BEST Reputation

I actually did a mid-life career change back when I was 47. For the last 11 years I have considered myself one of the luckiest people on earth to love going to work (most) everyday

Go where your heart take you
Virago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Virago For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #28
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,382 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Did mine at 42, though not working anymore, no regrets and had some great experiences as a result.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #29
Stone-Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 8,417 Times in 2,607 Posts
Stone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST Reputation
Default career

I thought nursing was the ultimate and got my degree and went to work at 22. After 5 years I was in a situation where I had to lift a patient with another nurse who could not count to 3 . On 3 I pulled up and she did not. Completely ruined my back for the rest of my life. Had therapy, had surgery and still have a bad back. I wish I had chosen another career as accident do happen but mine has lasted a lifetime. Back to school I went and got another degree. Best thing I ever did.
Stone-Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stone-Butch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2016, 10:42 PM   #30
flapdoodle

How Do You Identify?:
I'm the Mrs.
Preferred Pronoun?:
reflexive
Relationship Status:
Married in 2013

flapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputation

I've had many career changes at various times of my life.

Currently, I totally enjoy what i do, finally
I continue to grow and learn.
flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flapdoodle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #31
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I did my career change when I was 50, never looked back once. Now when I finely get my knee replacement done and over with, I'm heading right back to it.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2016, 02:05 AM   #32
Borneheld

How Do You Identify?:
Male, Him, His
Preferred Pronoun?:
all masculine
Relationship Status:
Single

Borneheld is on a distinguished road

I am currently a full time employee and a full time student...at 52.

I have been with my company for 24 years, enjoy it, I`m good at it, I make good money... but I want to pursue a path i wish i had followed long ago...and reading this forum gave me a bit of a booster to keep on going.

I will have my AS degree in Graphic Art and Design in March 2017, and will continue on for another 32 months for a degree in 3d Animation...then I WILL get a job with Disney World finally!
Borneheld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Borneheld For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2016, 03:04 AM   #33
Zimmeh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Me
Relationship Status:
I am a human and not a possession

Thanked 13,441 Times in 4,316 Posts
Zimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST Reputation

I to have had many jobs as a manager and just an employee. After nearly 22 years in retail, I am stepping out of my comfort zone. Monday, I will embark on a new career path. I will be putting on my teal scrubs and going to work as a nursing assistant with hopes of becoming a registered nurse.

Zimmeh
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zimmeh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2016, 03:10 AM   #34
Zimmeh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Me
Relationship Status:
I am a human and not a possession

Thanked 13,441 Times in 4,316 Posts
Zimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you all for the inspiring words for all of us who are contemplating going into nursing. Monday, I start working at a nursing home as a certified nursing assistant. My next step will be a registered nurse.

Zimmeh

Quote:
Psssssstttttt. Whispers don't do it !!!!
Be a physical therapist they make soooo much more and have much less stress

P.S. if you laughed at that statement then becoming an RN is for you !
If you took offense to the statement , nursing isn't the path .
That's our humor bc the majority of us have an out there sence of humor at times. To be honest you have to laugh or you will mentally break down from the things you go through from nursing school to the real world. The money is ok , the stability is amazing, the positions are amazing, is ICU what you may like , well no , ok maybe try ortho , urology, neurology , dialysis nursing , home health ,,,, on and on you can pick from .
The overtime is great . If you think your shift ends in 12 hrs , well there comes the situation where you pt codes and your 12 hr shift turned into a 16 hr shift .
To be a nurse is the most AMAZING, REWARDING, HEARTBREAKING, ABUSIVE, STRESSFUL , CHALLENGING , DIVERSE , BEAUTIFUL CAREER TO HAVE .
Ask Anya, tangle , always2late, all the nurses will say its all of those described words in caps
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zimmeh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2016, 08:17 AM   #35
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,371 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I have a couple really good inspirational stories about mid life career change....

The doctor that delivered my girls was an early childhood educator well into her 40s. Something got her going and she started her path to med school. It took her 12 years. And it made her very happy. She started a successful practice and delivered hundreds of babies.

I admire her hugely. She's mostly retired now except for home births...but she really did leave ab excellent impression upon me...

The other only know OF..

I went to this park ranger center type place one day. I don't know how we got on topic but I mentioned I'd love to study botany...mushrooms especially...but I didn't feel I was young enough to take on years of study. One of the rangers told me about a woman she knew who had kids and grand kids...found out tuition was free for people over 63 ( in Massachusetts any how) and decided to take "a few classes". She discovered botany, fell in love and kept going In school til she had a doctorate. Now 80, she is the utmost expert in New England botany. The ranger pulled a book off the shelf...hugge text book. That same woman wrote it and it's used in botany classes all over the country.

So no. Its never too late
Old 09-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #36
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Femme-ish, tomboy lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Together a really long time

Thanked 12,914 Times in 3,079 Posts
Gayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST Reputation

I love reading about all these jobs people do at mid-life! Even if I don't end up switching careers, it really makes me feel better to know I always CAN if I want to.