Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > BUTCHFEMMEPLANET.COM NEWS AND INFORMATION > Questions from Members/ Troubleshooting

Old 08-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default Scam Alerts!

I figured it may be worthwhile to start a thread on things to watch for. This include weird emails asking for passwords, offering free money (no one gives any money, especially from Nigeria), and the like.

Today's scam warning is this:

Phone call scam: Windows is infected!

So I just got this one. I've had this happen to me before and I suspect it is because Dell's registration system got compromised a while ago. Basically, the caller (who speaks very, very poor english and has a script that they work from) says that they have detected that your system is infected (his words were "infected with evil software"). Even when I've told him that I've used Mac he'll insist that they can be infected as well (not true; to date there exists no cross-platform virus).

Microsoft, Dell and other computer vendors will NOT call you to let you know you are infected. They will not email you either. You have to be proactive in this regards (this is because there are far too many users out there for them to monitor).

Best way to deal with it: Get their phone number and contact the better business bureau or Department of Consumer Affairs (or whatever the equivalent is in your state/province) to file a complaint. Then ask your phone provider to block them.

if you want to have fun, you can let the caller know that you will be notifying the FBI, local police and ask for their manager. When I threatened to do this, the guy called me a "bastard", laughed and then hung up.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
deb_U_taunt

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,260 Times in 1,363 Posts
deb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.fbi.gov/scams-safety/fraud/internet_fraud
deb_U_taunt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deb_U_taunt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
deb_U_taunt

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,260 Times in 1,363 Posts
deb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputation

Other basics:

If a work from home opportunity requires you to open an account at a particular bank, you are being used as a money mule. (this also applies to sweetheart scams and online purchases)

If you receive a phone call, do a google search of the number. Yes, phone numbers can be spoofed, but most of the time the fraudster doesn't bother.

This sounds like basic common sense, but I am always amazed at how many people will reply to emails from what they think is their bank/credit card company/family member and give out personal and banking information.

Never rent from someone you have never met in person. They are not on a church mission or in the military.

I could go on and on. This is my work life.

OH

and delete emails, if you are hacked this is where the fraudster can get a lot of personal information.

Download GOOD virus protection, such a Trusteer. (which is free)

Last edited by deb_U_taunt; 08-06-2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: addition
deb_U_taunt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deb_U_taunt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Inked_Trinity

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
BadAss! / Sarcastic Bastard!

Thanked 6,924 Times in 1,817 Posts
Inked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST Reputation

When selling something on Craigs List...........NEVER respond to someone wanting to buy anything sight unseen and requesting your PayPal info! I had this recently happen when trying to sell a Harley.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Those Microsoft people....repair center......have been trying to get me to log on to my computer at home so they can 'fix the problem' for over a year. If you ask to speak to a supervisor they tell you the supervisor is busy and then start the script all over. I told them 'my momma didn't raise a fool' and no 'I have never registered a PC with anyone, anywhere, at any address.....that makes them stutter for a minute, then the script.....I also ask them where they got my phone number and they hang up......laughin.....And they never ever have my have my first name right.....

The phone number they call from changes every time they call.....and if you call that number you get nothing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I figured it may be worthwhile to start a thread on things to watch for. This include weird emails asking for passwords, offering free money (no one gives any money, especially from Nigeria), and the like.

So I just got this one. I've had this happen to me before and I suspect it is because Dell's registration system got compromised a while ago. Basically, the caller (who speaks very, very poor english and has a script that they work from) says that they have detected that your system is infected (his words were "infected with evil software"). Even when I've told him that I've used Mac he'll insist that they can be infected as well (not true; to date there exists no cross-platform virus).

Microsoft, Dell and other computer vendors will NOT call you to let you know you are infected. They will not email you either. You have to be proactive in this regards (this is because there are far too many users out there for them to monitor).

Best way to deal with it: Get their phone number and contact the better business bureau or Department of Consumer Affairs (or whatever the equivalent is in your state/province) to file a complaint. Then ask your phone provider to block them.

if you want to have fun, you can let the caller know that you will be notifying the FBI, local police and ask for their manager. When I threatened to do this, the guy called me a "bastard", laughed and then hung up.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
watersoilair

How Do You Identify?:
Masculine of Centre

watersoilair is on a distinguished road

I posted a camera on Craigslist once and got an email offering more than I was asking.I thought, yes!, this is awesome, so I replied. Then they sent an email asking me to send a money order first to confirm that they'd be able to securely send one back.

Scam! I threatened to report to authorities and never heard back.
watersoilair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to watersoilair For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Queenie

How Do You Identify?:
Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,891 Times in 523 Posts
Queenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST ReputationQueenie Has the BEST Reputation

I started getting this one a few years ago. The fist time it happened, I found it really funny because at the time I had an old apple computer. And the day they called my old apple was dead! So, I didn't even have a working computer! Once I realized it was a scam I hanged up on the person.
A few months passed and it happened again. I laughed at the person and hanged up on them.
Luckily I don't get these sorts of calls any longer. What got me and my husband was, what if you are old or have mental problems you might believe everything they are saying. And that is what is so scary about it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post

Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Queenie For This Useful Post: