Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

Old 09-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #21
JustBeingMe

How Do You Identify?:
as ME
Relationship Status:
I don't need no stinking status.

Thanked 1,691 Times in 694 Posts
JustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST Reputation

I worked 10 yrs of swinging all shifts and even creating some of my own due to overtime in other depts. I knew how to work in when I was working for GoodYear Tire and Rubber Co. Tired building plant here in Texas.
I hated nights, I felt the EXACT same as you, Bet. Depressed more than usual, and I already have depression issues, just made it worse, sad all the time, crying spells, all the weight gain issues too. At least you can sleep during the day, I couldn't and I did all the things necessary to black out my bedroom even under my bedroom door so no day light could creep in. Hell I would wake up about 2 hours after going to sleep at Noon, and be like and in a state of panic thinking I missed my shift at work. I had to see the doc for sleep assistance meds. I took ambien to help me fall asleep and stay asleep but I felt groggy as hell waking up. Took me couple hours to get my shit together in my head and feel like I was awake.
I didn't take any of the things suggested here on the thread and I wish I had known about them then, I would have done them ALL.
I did adjust my eating habits to eating regular times, breakfast when I got off work at 7am, got up for dinner around 6 or 7, no lunch though. I only ate 2x daily. I also started to spend more time outdoors when I got off work, so I could soak up some sunlight, and on my days off, I would stay awake all day the first day after work, and work in my yard outdoors and it helped alot being able to spend time outdoors in the sunshine. My psych. doc adjusted my meds for the depression and had me take it at night instead of morning when I got off work, which did help me some.
One thing you can try is taking Melatonin, it's normally produced by the body to help induce sleepiness and help you to fall asleep during normal hours of living, our body is on it's own daytime clock so to speak, and when you work overnights, it just messes it all the way up, just like others here have said.
I would definitely change your eating habits/hours, walk more, remain outdoors more, try and find others to interact with during the daytime when your off from your shift, then go to bed later in the day. And try some of the methods mentioned here, but for sure listen the nurse here telling you to go see your doc, talk to him/her about the suggestions made here and about what your going through, and get yourself checked over before taking any over the counter stuff. Make sure you follow the suggested dosages too, don't take more than recommended, overdosing on something over the counter can cause real problems with your body. Thank the Lord I don't have to do shift work anymore, I prefer days, Early A.m. to Early P.m. shift, to get off and have a ton of sun to be in. I"m disabled now, with a back injury, but I do miss being able to work. boredom kills me. LOL
Ok, I've ranted enough. I hope you find something or somethingS that help you out. Take care and good luck Bet.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:34 AM   #22
Tcountry

How Do You Identify?:
Country Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
call it as u see it
Relationship Status:
Completely...complete ;)

1 Highscore

Thanked 4,287 Times in 1,181 Posts
Tcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST Reputation

My answer is everyone is different and various things will work.
I have worked nights (11-7, 7-7, midnight-noon) for about 10 years now...
I think the hardest part on most people is trying to go back to "normal" hours on days off...if you keep your schedule even when not at work (harder than it sounds I know) but it makes you feel not so crappy on the days you do work.
Pick a routine and stiick to it...always eat, exercise, etc at the same time...train the body to do it...
I think it is most hard to go from days to nights and back again...thankfully Ia have not had that "opportunity" for some time now and can be strictly nights.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:47 PM   #23
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Femme-ish, tomboy lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Together a really long time

Thanked 12,910 Times in 3,079 Posts
Gayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST Reputation

I’m currently doing 12 hr night shifts(7p-7a). While it works best with my home life as far as sitters for my butch husband and all- I HATE it because everyone else workers days! But I do get a week where I have 5 days off in a row, so I enjoy that.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:55 AM   #24
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayandgray View Post
I’m currently doing 12 hr night shifts(7p-7a). While it works best with my home life as far as sitters for my butch husband and all- I HATE it because everyone else workers days! But I do get a week where I have 5 days off in a row, so I enjoy that.
Did you ask Human Resources or your boss if your place of work helps employees find eldercare? Are you or your husband veterans? That might be helpful. If you live in or near a city that might have a Senior Center? They might have suggestions.

I worked 12 hr. nightshift (19-0730) for 30 years, and still stay awake all night. Years ago, I decided to look at the upside of working nights. Now, I relish being awake at night when most other (sane) people are asleep.
Old 09-06-2021, 03:47 PM   #25
MrSunshine

How Do You Identify?:
The Gardner
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ummmm
Relationship Status:
Nah

23 Highscores

Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,154 Posts
MrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST Reputation

speaking of working… If there are any caregivers that are instantly available I am looking for one. The pay is very good it’s from the United States government to include full benefits and a free place to live. Did I mention that It’s on the largest lake in Florida? It is. Right across from all the pools and all the activities you could dream of. The job is fairly simple. Message me if interested. Thank you in advance.
Also one small pet friendly or medium.