Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Religion, Spirituality, Mysticism

Old 11-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Planet's Sangha: Buddhist discussions, thought, etc.

I consider myself Buddhist. I haven't found a Sangha here in NY that I feel at home with so I've been self teaching and trying to understand. I am hoping that I might find something once i move to Los Angeles but until then, an online option would be the best way to go. I'll admit that it was Lama Surya Das' books that appealed to me and I'm hoping to get through the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

I was curious if there are others out there.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
PoeticWitch

How Do You Identify?:
Queer... that is all you get
Preferred Pronoun?:
um... she.. I think... *shrug* call me anything that pleases ya
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,131 Times in 377 Posts
PoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST Reputation

Linus I am what is called a Nichiren Buddhist.. sadly I do not know much about the basic philosophy of the sect you are mentioning... I am still learning more about my practice... I would like to learn more about yours sometime.. and if you would like to learn about mine you can go to www.sgi.org or www.sgi-usa.org ... SGI stands for the Sokka Gakkai International... well have a wonderful day
Old 11-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Cool. I'm going to look into the links you've posted. I've read a bit about Nichiren from E-Sangha Forums but will read more. I'll probably have questions for you about it specifically. (particular when I've finished my teach this week -- which will be today)

I am curious, however, as to why you choose this particular path over others and if you go to a Sangha in RT (Real Time; not online)?

Old 11-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
PoeticWitch

How Do You Identify?:
Queer... that is all you get
Preferred Pronoun?:
um... she.. I think... *shrug* call me anything that pleases ya
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,131 Times in 377 Posts
PoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Cool. I'm going to look into the links you've posted. I've read a bit about Nichiren from E-Sangha Forums but will read more. I'll probably have questions for you about it specifically. (particular when I've finished my teach this week -- which will be today)

I am curious, however, as to why you choose this particular path over others and if you go to a Sangha in RT (Real Time; not online)?
I will be honest I have never heard of Shanga, but I am assuming, so correct me if I am wrong, that it is a term used for temple? Nichiren Buddhist do not go to temples persay... We have community centers that we congregate at. I dont think I can really do it justice. I dont attend much anymore because I live in York and the closet Community Center is in Baltimore and I am sadly lacking a car... When I was in Austin I was there as much as I could be. I miss it terribly. Well I am off for the day and not back til tomorrow sometime... you know the whole Thanksgiving thing lol.. You have a wonderful Turkey Day!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
SFFemmePrincess

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Lesbian Princess
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female Pronouns
Relationship Status:
Single but also non negotiably non monogamous

SFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST Reputation

So my story goes like this: My parents are Bahai, (http://info.bahai.org/) but never really practiced. We had some books lying around and they talked about it every now and again, but that was about it. I longed for some sort of sprituality. So as a child I would go to the Sunday bible study at the Christian church down the road. But I never felt quite right. I mostly kept going for the arts and crafts and snacks. As I go older the desire for sprituality still haunted me. I read books on Wicca, but that didnt really work for me. I talked to friends of other faiths, but never found anything that I could relate to. In my late teens I went pretty often to a Christian Megachurch in Alb. until the Pastor said that Homosexuality was causing the death the "American Family." When I moved here I started going to MCC and became an official member, but I still never felt quite right. It felt like a farce. I was going through the motions, bowing my head in prayer, taking communion, but it felt empty.

Then one day, my family and I were having a disscussion about religion and the subject of Buddhism came up and none of knew what Buddhism actually was. So being the little researcher that I am, I brought out my laptop and looked it up. I came across this article: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/intro_bud.htm

All of a sudden I started to feel like I had found what I had been looking for. So I started reading and researching more. Never in my life have I felt more complete spiritually. Now I am still just reading, I haven't actually started meditating or further investigating the traditions, but it just feels so good to know that there is something out there for me. Some of the books that I have read are Buddhism for Beginners by Thubten Chodron and Introducing Buddhism by Chris Pauling and there is a great list of recommended books here: http://www.sfbuddhistcenter.org/dharma/books.shtml

It's nice to see others on similar paths...

SFFemmePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SFFemmePrincess For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowchick07 View Post
So my story goes like this: My parents are Bahai, (http://info.bahai.org/) but never really practiced. We had some books lying around and they talked about it every now and again, but that was about it. I longed for some sort of sprituality. So as a child I would go to the Sunday bible study at the Christian church down the road. But I never felt quite right. I mostly kept going for the arts and crafts and snacks. As I go older the desire for sprituality still haunted me. I read books on Wicca, but that didnt really work for me. I talked to friends of other faiths, but never found anything that I could relate to. In my late teens I went pretty often to a Christian Megachurch in Alb. until the Pastor said that Homosexuality was causing the death the "American Family." When I moved here I started going to MCC and became an official member, but I still never felt quite right. It felt like a farce. I was going through the motions, bowing my head in prayer, taking communion, but it felt empty.

Then one day, my family and I were having a disscussion about religion and the subject of Buddhism came up and none of knew what Buddhism actually was. So being the little researcher that I am, I brought out my laptop and looked it up. I came across this article: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/intro_bud.htm

All of a sudden I started to feel like I had found what I had been looking for. So I started reading and researching more. Never in my life have I felt more complete spiritually. Now I am still just reading, I haven't actually started meditating or further investigating the traditions, but it just feels so good to know that there is something out there for me. Some of the books that I have read are Buddhism for Beginners by Thubten Chodron and Introducing Buddhism by Chris Pauling and there is a great list of recommended books here: http://www.sfbuddhistcenter.org/dharma/books.shtml

It's nice to see others on similar paths...

I have not known many practicing Buddhists...but the ones I have known always seemed so centered. (I know that word is almost cliche` any more....)

I've been curious and intrigued about Buddhism, but never really took the time to see if it might suit me.

This past year has been one of many changes...coming to grips with many things....having to give up control....and having now read this article, perhaps this way of life WOULD be the right way for me....it seems to speak to my soul and is reminding me of a compass of sorts.....

Thank You Rainbow.....for posting this.....I am overwhelmed in the best of ways!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
SFFemmePrincess

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Lesbian Princess
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female Pronouns
Relationship Status:
Single but also non negotiably non monogamous

SFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
I have not known many practicing Buddhists...but the ones I have known always seemed so centered. (I know that word is almost cliche` any more....)

I've been curious and intrigued about Buddhism, but never really took the time to see if it might suit me.

This past year has been one of many changes...coming to grips with many things....having to give up control....and having now read this article, perhaps this way of life WOULD be the right way for me....it seems to speak to my soul and is reminding me of a compass of sorts.....

Thank You Rainbow.....for posting this.....I am overwhelmed in the best of ways!
Oh my dearest Diva...I am so glad that I could illuminate a possible path for you...that makes my day!
SFFemmePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SFFemmePrincess For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #8
lillith

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, hey you!

lillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputation

I am doing a research report for my religious studies class, and I decided to attend a temple and it was the most warm and welcoming place I could have gone. The "usher" sat me with this older woman who explained everything to me about what was going on in the service. She was very open to any and all my questions. They gave me books, pamphlets, just about anything that I could read on Buddhaism and Jodo Shinshu. This particular sect focuses on Shinran Shonin and his teachings that suffering is going to happen, but how you choose to deal with it is up to you.

I felt like my past didn't matter, and according to the Rev. it doesn't matter, it is gone just as quickly as it came. Everything is cause and effect. It was amazing. No one cared that I am queer. No one cared that I am a single parent. No one cared about all the stigmas that my life tends to bare. I was greeted with smiles, hardy handsakes, and a genuine niceness that is rare to find in Los Angeles.

The 9:30 am service is geared towards family and the Rev was in the isle getting the children involved, getting the whole congregation involved. I have never been to a service of this sort. It has always been sit down, shut up, and hang on for dear life cause everyone in this joint is going to judge the fuck out of you. It was refreshing and heartwarming. I told my son we will be going back there next week. Today's service was a celebration day - Bodhi Day (Jodo-e). The whole experience left me warm and fuzzy inside.

now how can you ignore a dancing pink elephant?

and how i so wish it would rain here.
lillith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lillith For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

lilith, very similar to you I've experienced a very open look at individuals regardless of background, orientation, race, etc. It is refreshing that the message is generally the same between variations. I am curious as to where this particular temple is. I'll be moving to Los Angeles next year and need to look into finding a place.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #10
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Lilith.....

Your description was so lovely and calming....I'm going to be checking on a temple here in Austin....thank You for sharing Your experience.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
lillith

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, hey you!

lillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
lilith, very similar to you I've experienced a very open look at individuals regardless of background, orientation, race, etc. It is refreshing that the message is generally the same between variations. I am curious as to where this particular temple is. I'll be moving to Los Angeles next year and need to look into finding a place.
Hey Linus. Los Angeles is a big place, where are you planning on moving to? The temple I went to is in Gardena (near the beach cities or LA's version of the South Bay). There are great temples all around here and in the valley and out east. It all depends on where you are moving to.

If you would like, I can do some research on a temple that is close to where you are moving to.

Hope you are having a good day.

lillith

The Following User Says Thank You to lillith For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2009, 11:06 PM   #12
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,132 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I consider myself Buddhist. I haven't found a Sangha here in NY that I feel at home with so I've been self teaching and trying to understand. I am hoping that I might find something once i move to Los Angeles but until then, an online option would be the best way to go. I'll admit that it was Lama Surya Das' books that appealed to me and I'm hoping to get through the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

I was curious if there are others out there.

I have a very very good friend in Denver who is Buddhist. He and I have had some of the most amazing conversations around what it is and isn't for him. When we first met, he was an athiest. His journey has been mind-blowing to watch.

His wife and I share a Wiccan path. I find that Buddhist are some of the least judgmental folk. I admire that. It's something I really struggle with.

Love you, Linus!
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #13
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillith View Post
Hey Linus. Los Angeles is a big place, where are you planning on moving to? The temple I went to is in Gardena (near the beach cities or LA's version of the South Bay). There are great temples all around here and in the valley and out east. It all depends on where you are moving to.

If you would like, I can do some research on a temple that is close to where you are moving to.

Hope you are having a good day.

lillith
Heh. Yes, it definitely is big. As to where we'll be exactly, we haven't fully decided but are looking at West Hollywood, Van Nuys and a few other places. K's parents are near Manhattan Beach. I know there are a few Buddhist temples but haven't been able to find all of them on Google.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
I have a very very good friend in Denver who is Buddhist. He and I have had some of the most amazing conversations around what it is and isn't for him. When we first met, he was an athiest. His journey has been mind-blowing to watch.

His wife and I share a Wiccan path. I find that Buddhist are some of the least judgmental folk. I admire that. It's something I really struggle with.

Love you, Linus!
Hey Arwen,

It is something that I struggle with at times (removing old habits) but I find that it lessens the more I spent time on Buddhism and the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path. Reminding myself of each reminds me that others do suffer as I do, even if that experience is different. And no one should suffer.

For those unaware the Four Noble Truths are:

1. All of life is marked by suffering.
  2. Suffering is caused by desire and attachment.
  3. Suffering can be stopped.
  4. The way to end suffering is to follow the Noble Eightfold Path.

And the Noble Eightfold Path is:

1. Right knowledge
  2. Right intention
  3. Right speech
  4. Right action
  5. Right livelihood
  6. Right effort
  7. Right mindfulness
  8. Right concentration

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
lillith

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, hey you!

Hey Linus. Here is are some results I did on google: http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...uddhist+temple

Hope it helps.

Lillith

Old 12-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillith View Post
Hey Linus. Here is are some results I did on google: http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...uddhist+temple

Hope it helps.

Lillith
Ya. It did. Took me to here: http://www.urbandharma.org/wilshire/.../buddhist.html which lists the variety of temples and the Buddhist lineage that it comes from. That should give me an idea of where I'd want to look for a temple (I prefer more of a Tibetan buddhism to the Japanese buddhism but then again.. the concepts are the same). And who knows? Perhaps I may find more of what I'm looking for at a temple near me because of the people involved.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #16
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Linus,

Thank you for this thread. I want you to know that I have quite a few friends who are practicing Buddhists. They too are very centered in what their priorities are. And it reflects in their lives.

I also belong to a paranormal group. In this group are several Buddhists. They have taught me quite a bit about spirituality and inner peace. It is something that once you obtain, you never loose it.

Love,
Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #17
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

hello to everyone
Buddhism is important to me.

there are 3 basic schools of buddhism

Theravada, Mahayana and Vajrayana
a few nice web sites are:

http://www.dalailama.com/

http://www.suite101.com/course.cfm/19042/seminar

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to amiyesiam For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 12:12 AM   #18
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I think an important draw for buddhism is that you can practice the philosophy with out practicing the religion. does that make sense? Like you can take wisdom from the bible ( like: take care of the beam in your own eye instead of worrying about the needle in your neighbors eye, type thing) without actually believing/being a christian.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amiyesiam For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 01:30 AM   #19
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiyesiam View Post
I think an important draw for buddhism is that you can practice the philosophy with out practicing the religion. does that make sense? Like you can take wisdom from the bible ( like: take care of the beam in your own eye instead of worrying about the needle in your neighbors eye, type thing) without actually believing/being a christian.

Yes, thank You.....this is what I am picking up in my readings. I'm loving the energy of this thread for the most part because it is inspirational in my quest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 02:07 AM   #20
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Yes, thank You.....this is what I am picking up in my readings. I'm loving the energy of this thread for the most part because it is inspirational in my quest.

I love the harmony of Buddhism. The concept that nothing exists in and of itself, that everything is related, that when you hurt I am hurt, the connection of it all is wonderful to ponder.
And I love the music!!!!

a song I love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbRHkhNXX_0

The Following User Says Thank You to amiyesiam For This Useful Post: