Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

Old 08-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #61
Smiling

How Do You Identify?:
with a distinct flair

Thanked 4,382 Times in 1,009 Posts
Smiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST Reputation

Believe me, the customer is seldom right.
lol, I miss working with the public, though. There was a bond with my coworkers - it was just us against the entire public, lol. You just don't get that sort of solidarity in the corporate world, lol. And of course, the war stories. You never run out of conversation when you work with people. I can't wait to get back out there and start menacing...sorry, stupid autocorrect; I meant to say "helpfully interacting" with others, lol.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #62
TL1

How Do You Identify?:
Butch of stone
Preferred Pronoun?:
The guy kind

Thanked 3,461 Times in 1,006 Posts
TL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST Reputation

Lol hell no the customer isn't always right. Most are a pain. Some are really nice. I love the ones that call and yell and cuss like its my fault you didn't pay your mortgage. Sure hardships happen but i did not sign that contract. So blame yourself!

I tend to give the customer what they give me. Obviously I can't cuss at them but I meet their tone quickly. Sometimes this backs them down and they say oh I didn't mean it personally and they get nice. Other times like today I met ones tone equally and they called me a smart ass and asked to speak with a supervisor. Lol be my guest because I surely do not want to deal with you anymore.

Don't get me wrong. I am professional and nice and all that I should be. But I won't put up with any shit either.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #63
Smiling

How Do You Identify?:
with a distinct flair

Thanked 4,382 Times in 1,009 Posts
Smiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST Reputation
Default More often than not....

...the customer doesn't even know what they want. They usually think they do; but they don't. Of course, that's really more of a rumination on the state of Humanity in general, though; rather than simply being a customer issue.

HOWEVER, when you work with the public, that complete lack of self-awareness (whether it is a purposeful affectation or not) becomes so glaringly apparent because <whatever place of business you are working in> is a standalone microcosm of the human species.

Most people really think they know a thing or two. Some may; but the ones who may actually know something are the same ones that know they do not!

People are fascinating. I like to watch how they move about in the world and I really like it when they get to talking so I can see how their minds work. Even the pains-in-the-asses can be just absolutely delightful to observe in the right framework. I honestly miss working with the public.

Last edited by Smiling; 08-10-2016 at 02:56 PM. Reason: ETA: Just realized I'm referring to people as "they," which is hilarious because it sounds like I'm not one. lol, I'm a Pod.
Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smiling For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #64
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

I'd have to agree and say I miss working with the public to an extend however not at this particular time of the year when they are so stressed and frazzled
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 12:49 AM   #65
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,473 Times in 10,186 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

Busy busy, this time of the year. What this customer said to me today, took me by surprise, and so did my reaction.

I tweaked a price for a pair of boots, to reorder them. She originally paid less, and I exchanged at a higher price. She says, so if these don't work, will I get my money back on how I originally paid ? I said, just come back to see me, smiling as I said it.

She goes...what if your not here anymore? (This exchange will be back to her next week). I said, Ill be here, I'm not going anywhere.

She then seriously says, "but what if you die?"

"I'm not going to die...what if you die? Why would you say that? We aren't going anywhere"

She back tracked for the next 10 min.

In the end , Hoilday greetings were exchanged and off she went.

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 06:37 AM   #66
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bèsame* View Post
Busy busy, this time of the year. What this customer said to me today, took me by surprise, and so did my reaction.

I tweaked a price for a pair of boots, to reorder them. She originally paid less, and I exchanged at a higher price. She says, so if these don't work, will I get my money back on how I originally paid ? I said, just come back to see me, smiling as I said it.

She goes...what if your not here anymore? (This exchange will be back to her next week). I said, Ill be here, I'm not going anywhere.

She then seriously says, "but what if you die?"

"I'm not going to die...what if you die? Why would you say that? We aren't going anywhere"

She back tracked for the next 10 min.

In the end , Hoilday greetings were exchanged and off she went.
Weird indeed BUT people do just drop dead! Poor Alan, playing hockey with his son one minute, dead the next
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #67
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,473 Times in 10,186 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Weird indeed BUT people do just drop dead! Poor Alan, playing hockey with his son one minute, dead the next
I know, but she was more worried over her boots/money, than my life...hmmmmm

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 08:30 AM   #68
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

No they aren't always right. I know as a customer I haven't always been right. I've only worked retail as a young kid but was in the back unloasing trucks, so I don't really have any stories.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #69
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bèsame* View Post
I know, but she was more worried over her boots/money, than my life...hmmmmm
Unless you had a personal history with her, there's no reason to expect more. She came to buy something at your store, so it was always about the money.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2016, 11:51 PM   #70
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Today when I heard that Macy's after Christmas one day sale started at 7 a.m I thanks my lucky stars I no longer worked retail
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2016, 06:47 AM   #71
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Today when I heard that Macy's after Christmas one day sale started at 7 a.m I thanks my lucky stars I no longer worked retail
Some stores open before sunrise.

I'm misunderestimated.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:08 AM   #72
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,588 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

My customers (library "patrons" technically) believe that there should be no rules in the library because they pay our salaries (with taxes.)

When informing a gentleman that he needed to vacate the Teen room because school was getting out and we don't allow adults in that room after 2:30 pm, my favorite librarian was told "i have owned my home for twenty years and paid enough in property taxes to be allowed to sit wherever I want"

Actually city services are supported by sales tax

His "companion" then told my favorite librarian, who is POC, "you wouldn't have said nothing if i wasn't white"

She went downstairs to complain to another manager, who confirmed that said librarian was enforcing the policy as required of her. She called that manager a tramp.

The next day she called me on the phone to demand an apology from the librarian and demand to hear how i intended to solve my library's racism problem.

She said "you know there's a real racism problem in this country, except it's not like THEY say, it's what THEY do to us."

I told her that if our posted signs regarding Teen room adult hours were not visible enough I would make bigger ones, but if she ever abused my staff again she would be banned from the building.

She told me to be prepared to see my face on the front page of the paper and to be fired by the mayor because she was going to make sure everyone in town knows that I am a racist.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:12 AM   #73
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,266 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

I've never worked retail but I've been a customer all my life.
I believe that unless a store ( or whatever ) has made it's "no return, no refund" policy crystal clear, the customer deserves a return/refund with no questions asked, no attitude, maybe a nice smile ... unless, of course, you are willing to charge them with theft or fraud.

I've always liked the story ( though quite possibly apocryful ) about the customer service department at Nordstrom's that accepted the return of a set of car tires even though Nordstrom's did not ( and never has ) sell tires.
C0LLETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2016, 08:03 AM   #74
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,006 Times in 8,559 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Unless you had a personal history with her, there's no reason to expect more. She came to buy something at your store, so it was always about the money.
There is reason to expect more. We don't need to have history nor a connection for me to expect common decency from another human being. This customer was unnecessarily rude and shocking. Good on Besame for calling her on it by asking why. Hopefully, Besame's question will cause this customer to think twice before asking someone else what to do if they die (or get fired, or any other tragic event).
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #75
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,816 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

My "customers" are not always right.

They have the added disadvantage of either being a decompensated mentally ill person or an intoxicated one.

In either case, they are not really able to listen in order to process information I am trying to tell them.

I try to be super-patient and talk in a quiet voice. Usually, it helps to deescalate their behavior and their defensiveness is lowered.

We have sheriffs in the building that walk our floors hourly. If all else fails, I ask the secretary to call the sheriff.

Neither of our sherriff staff are reactive or aggressive. Sometimes, just having the client see the sheriff, calms them back down to reality.

Once that happens, they are more able to listen to the treatment plan.

Sometimes after treatment and sobriety, they call and thank me for the help. One last month even sent me a thank you card.

That was awesome to receive.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #76
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
My customers (library "patrons" technically) believe that there should be no rules in the library because they pay our salaries (with taxes.)

When informing a gentleman that he needed to vacate the Teen room because school was getting out and we don't allow adults in that room after 2:30 pm, my favorite librarian was told "i have owned my home for twenty years and paid enough in property taxes to be allowed to sit wherever I want"

Actually city services are supported by sales tax

His "companion" then told my favorite librarian, who is POC, "you wouldn't have said nothing if i wasn't white"

She went downstairs to complain to another manager, who confirmed that said librarian was enforcing the policy as required of her. She called that manager a tramp.

The next day she called me on the phone to demand an apology from the librarian and demand to hear how i intended to solve my library's racism problem.

She said "you know there's a real racism problem in this country, except it's not like THEY say, it's what THEY do to us."

I told her that if our posted signs regarding Teen room adult hours were not visible enough I would make bigger ones, but if she ever abused my staff again she would be banned from the building.

She told me to be prepared to see my face on the front page of the paper and to be fired by the mayor because she was going to make sure everyone in town knows that I am a racist.
Good on you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post
There is reason to expect more. We don't need to have history nor a connection for me to expect common decency from another human being. This customer was unnecessarily rude and shocking. Good on Besame for calling her on it by asking why. Hopefully, Besame's question will cause this customer to think twice before asking someone else what to do if they die (or get fired, or any other tragic event).

The woman expressed concern that Besame wouldn't be there to help her in the future. That sounds like anxiety to me. I'm sure most of us knows at least one person with high anxiety or an anxiety driven condition. True, the way she asked presented a distinct lack of tact but that's not criminal.

Again, there was no previous relationship with Besame so it's understandable that she would be concerned that Besame wouldn't be there if she had problems in the future. Many businesses have a lot of turnover or maybe the customer recently lost someone or maybe she has a fixation on death. No matter what the situation was, she didn't know Besame from Adam, so there was no previous interactions that would comfort her.

I get customers all the time that feel more comfortable dealing with the person that completed their rental or that they contacted first, regardless of that person's designation within the company. I don't take offense to that as I feel that way myself; it's human nature to want to continue to work with whomever you've previously had contact and/or rapport.

For the record, you would probably be pretty put out with some of the conversations up here in the Northeast if that offended you. People are VERY blunt and short here. It was a bit of an adjustment period for me, even though I've lived in the North before, because I'm very much a Southerner and the Northeast has its own flair. I got used to it, though, and learned to work with it and to find ways to add in my own charm when I can.

People are going to be themselves, warts and all. I'd rather a customer speak what they are really thinking and feeling to me, even if it's a bit rude or tactless, than to give me the condenscending social politeness that I've experienced previously, mostly in the South.

I'm misunderestimated.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #77
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

The woman expressed concern that Besame wouldn't be there to help her in the future. That sounds like anxiety to me. I'm sure most of us knows at least one person with high anxiety or an anxiety driven condition. True, the way she asked presented a distinct lack of tact but that's not criminal.

Again, there was no previous relationship with Besame so it's understandable that she would be concerned that Besame wouldn't be there if she had problems in the future. Many businesses have a lot of turnover or maybe the customer recently lost someone or maybe she has a fixation on death. No matter what the situation was, she didn't know Besame from Adam, so there was no previous interactions that would comfort her.

I get customers all the time that feel more comfortable dealing with the person that completed their rental or that they contacted first, regardless of that person's designation within the company. I don't take offense to that as I feel that way myself; it's human nature to want to continue to work with whomever you've previously had contact and/or rapport.

For the record, you would probably be pretty put out with some of the conversations up here in the Northeast if that offended you. People are VERY blunt and short here. It was a bit of an adjustment period for me, even though I've lived in the North before, because I'm very much a Southerner and the Northeast has its own flair. I got used to it, though, and learned to work with it and to find ways to add in my own charm when I can.

People are going to be themselves, warts and all. I'd rather a customer speak what they are really thinking and feeling to me, even if it's a bit rude or tactless, than to give me the condenscending social politeness that I've experienced previously, mostly in the South.
This was more than being blunt and short. This was rude. And her probable anxiousness and concern is no reason not to expect her to be thoughtful enough not to mention the possible death of someone in the context of her exchange.

After living in NYC for many years I suspect she'd be met with everything from humor to anger after that careless reply, but this wasn't the northeast and I think she knew better (hence her backing up for 10 minutes when Besame gave her the look—LOL).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #78
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,266 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

Scenario:

Client: "What if you die?"

Clerk: "Then she'll take care of it"...pointing to another associate. "And if she dies, then that associate over there will help you. And if you die, then we'll send your refund to the funeral home."
C0LLETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #79
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post
This was more than being blunt and short. This was rude. And her probable anxiousness and concern is no reason not to expect her to be thoughtful enough not to mention the possible death of someone in the context of her exchange.

After living in NYC for many years I suspect she'd be met with everything from humor to anger after that careless reply, but this wasn't the northeast and I think she knew better (hence her backing up for 10 minutes when Besame gave her the look—LOL).
I was going to say something but then Collette said this below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0LLETTE View Post
Scenario:

Client: "What if you die?"

Clerk: "Then she'll take care of it"...pointing to another associate. "And if she dies, then that associate over there will help you. And if you die, then we'll send your refund to the funeral home."
See, now that's probably along the likes of what I would have said.

I've worked directly with the public all over the country, North to East to South to West, from big and inner city to out in the boondocks folks, since I was 15 and have had some really and truly rude and really and truly offensive and intrusive comments said to and about me.

I get that this falls into that category for you and Besame and am not saying that is not a legit feeling. I'm saying that that's really not as bad as it could have been, in my experience. Sure, tactless and maybe a little rude. Not as rude as an attempt of employment blackmail in order to get me to go out with someone, but still pretty tactless. It's all relative. I've experienced much worse, so for me, it's not a big deal. For you, it is. I get that and respect your feelings and the right to express mine as well.

Agree to disagree?

For the record, I can trigger at names. If someone knows my name and how I want to be addressed and they choose to use another name, for whatever reason, it irks me. If it's done often, I will go as far as to eliminate them from my life. Especially if it's someone in our community. Sometimes our chosen names and ways to be addressed are not necessarily what is found on our birth certificates and when someone refuses to address another as they see themselves and want to be addressed, I find that to be a very cutting form of disrespect and I don't have time or room for that in my life. So, if Besame's customer had purposefully addressed her as Gemme during the exchange, knowing that she is Besame, then I would have felt more strongly about it.

*shrug*

We all have our stuff and those who deal directly with the public have to develop thicker skin because of folks who may be abrasive, whether by design or not.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #80
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
I was going to say something but then Collette said this below.

See, now that's probably along the likes of what I would have said.

I've worked directly with the public all over the country, North to East to South to West, from big and inner city to out in the boondocks folks, since I was 15 and have had some really and truly rude and really and truly offensive and intrusive comments said to and about me.

I get that this falls into that category for you and Besame and am not saying that is not a legit feeling. I'm saying that that's really not as bad as it could have been, in my experience. Sure, tactless and maybe a little rude. Not as rude as an attempt of employment blackmail in order to get me to go out with someone, but still pretty tactless. It's all relative. I've experienced much worse, so for me, it's not a big deal. For you, it is. I get that and respect your feelings and the right to express mine as well.

Agree to disagree?

For the record, I can trigger at names. If someone knows my name and how I want to be addressed and they choose to use another name, for whatever reason, it irks me. If it's done often, I will go as far as to eliminate them from my life. Especially if it's someone in our community. Sometimes our chosen names and ways to be addressed are not necessarily what is found on our birth certificates and when someone refuses to address another as they see themselves and want to be addressed, I find that to be a very cutting form of disrespect and I don't have time or room for that in my life. So, if Besame's customer had purposefully addressed her as Gemme during the exchange, knowing that she is Besame, then I would have felt more strongly about it.

*shrug*

We all have our stuff and those who deal directly with the public have to develop thicker skin because of folks who may be abrasive, whether by design or not.
Agree to disagree—otherwise we will go in circles. I've made my points and you've made yours.

All the best.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post: