Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

Old 08-06-2012, 05:46 AM   #41
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

My summer lingers....
I have this week off. Yahoo. I am not sleeping in this morning because... I don't know, sob!

I am going to be working on my attitude right up until I park the car in the parking lot (Mon Aug 20th for in service week). I know I can get back some of the magic and love for the profession. I just gotta keep looking.

Today I will give in to the excitement of school supply shopping with The General, new 1st grader. I KNOW that will help my attitude.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #42
bkisbutchenuff
PPoA - Southern Gentle Butch

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, he, him, handsome, Daddy
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Thanked 10,845 Times in 2,247 Posts
bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzerJ View Post
My summer lingers....
I have this week off. Yahoo. I am not sleeping in this morning because... I don't know, sob!

I am going to be working on my attitude right up until I park the car in the parking lot (Mon Aug 20th for in service week). I know I can get back some of the magic and love for the profession. I just gotta keep looking.

Today I will give in to the excitement of school supply shopping with The General, new 1st grader. I KNOW that will help my attitude.
Shopping for a new 1st grader - The General - will be fun and exciting! Next week when the students come - I will on point...that's why I do what I do....for them...at all cost and for their success...this week - not so much...meetings, meetings and more meetings....
You will find it my dear friend...we never lose that...it just gets blurred by all the outside BS from time to time....
Hang in there and enjoy shopping today....

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Randy Pausch.
bkisbutchenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #43
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkisbutchenuff View Post
Shopping for a new 1st grader - The General - will be fun and exciting! Next week when the students come - I will on point...that's why I do what I do....for them...at all cost and for their success...this week - not so much...meetings, meetings and more meetings....
You will find it my dear friend...we never lose that...it just gets blurred by all the outside BS from time to time....
Hang in there and enjoy shopping today....
Thank you so much BK... The General KNOWS how to have a good time shopping. So it will be fun!

You are right it is the outside BS. I ended the year last year thinking to myself... in the 2012/13 school year... I will not engage.... In the petty BS, back stabbing and running around in fear of "crazy eyes" vice principal who is out to get us. That seems overly dramatic... and it is! and still it is true.

However, I know how the system at the school I work at now. So I can begin my year focused on the kids, avoid the drama, and stay on target to grow professionally.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #44
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Thank you so much BK... The General KNOWS how to have a good time shopping. So it will be fun!

You are right it is the outside BS. I ended the year last year thinking to myself... in the 2012/13 school year... I will not engage.... In the petty BS, back stabbing and running around in fear of "crazy eyes" vice principal who is out to get us. That seems overly dramatic... and it is! and still it is true.

However, I know how the system at the school I work at now. So I can begin my year focused on the kids, avoid the drama, and stay on target to grow professionally.
I have a feeling you will have a great year....your heart is in the right place....seems you have an awesome child and a wonderful 'guy'. So - always look forward and remember you touch and change little lives everyday!
ANYTIME you need to vent or express...I'm here to support!!!!

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Randy Pausch.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #45
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
I have a feeling you will have a great year....your heart is in the right place....seems you have an awesome child and a wonderful 'guy'. So - always look forward and remember you touch and change little lives everyday!
ANYTIME you need to vent or express...I'm here to support!!!!
Same goes for you BK... vent and express away! Thank you for starting this thread.

I am blessed with a fabulous kid and gy! I am very lucky.

I've always loved my job so it is odd to have this "not really growing/learning" phase. I am rereading a book for some inspiration. The Passionate Teacher. It is dated (1995) but I am hoping to refocus on what am I passionate about in public education. So far I've been reminded that passionate teachers are focused. I'll be reading slowly...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #46
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Default pencil box

Okay so I am working hard at gearing up for back to school. I think I am starting year 14 of teaching. I need some mixing it up. I have a serious love of school supplies... So I was mentally making my ultimate personal school supply list.

1. Sharp ticonderoga pencils, and lots of 'em. I don't like pencil top erasers so when there is no more eraser there is no more pencil.

2. Quality, quiet and fast pencil sharpener... this is an absolute must for the lover of sharp pencils. And sometimes sharpening pencils is my daily moment of zen.

3. 2 pocket folders with out the 3 hole punch strip in the center. I like my folders in a rainbow of solid colors and no frills!

3. Kleenex.

4. 3 sizes of ziploc bags: snack, sandwich and gallon. I've got things to organize.

5. Rainbow collection of fine tip sharpies. I am just like the colors.

6. Colored paper clips... the shear number of papers I shuffle and copies I make for various levels of CYA folders means I abhor staples. And a little flair makes me smile while I deforest the Amazon.

7. Markers. Especially red and green. I like to give dots where to start and stop on work sometimes.

8. Highlighters. Not for highlighting my professional reading but because the kids think they are soooo freaking cool. Give a kindergarten student a highlighter and suddenly you are a star!

9. post its... Nothing is permanent in education! And rarely do things make it to my long term memory!

10. Water bottle. Gotta flush the germs

11. dry erase crayons. These are new and I am gonna give them a try.

12. Velcro.

13. Card stock. Sometimes I like things to last longer than regular paper, and I need to use it before I can laminate it. Maybe I'll never have time to laminate it. Let's be honest here.

14. Binders in a nice color or navy blue with the clear pockets to label. I've got a thing for binders... Meeting notes, data, schedule. I like to have 1 one inch binder that is with me at all times.

15. traveling hanging file box...I'll take my data to go please!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #47
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Default The real pencil box...

A very funny friend of mine said she'd have...
1. tazer
2. valium
3. flask
4. get of jail free cards

in her pencil box. Love how she reminds me I am taking this too seriously!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #48
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
A very funny friend of mine said she'd have...
1. tazer
2. valium
3. flask
4. get of jail free cards

in her pencil box. Love how she reminds me I am taking this too seriously!

LMBO....where I'm at - perfect...

Old 08-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #49
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Well...I'm just tired. What a long day...I need to do some paperwork...but don't think I can tonight. Five minutes before open House, which we had to have in the Gym (because of construction), we were told - by the way - you will have no access to your rooms tomorrow (because of construction)...Really???? So now I have to work Sat. GGRRR! Tomorrow, we are getting bussed to a forced pep rally...followed by a whole afternoon of mandated meetings....

Wish I could say I feel better from venting...but I don't really...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #50
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,170 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

By Tuesday, I will have had seven full days of meetings at six different locations. Blah. Tired and losing steam, and I haven't done a lick of work to actually prepare to do my job.

We listened to an executive from a major -- MAJOR -- tech company talk to us today. She had NOTHING new to say except that tech needs prepared grads. No shit.

The free pastries don't even make me feel better anymore. I never thought I'd turn my nose up at an apricot danish.

One funny funny awesome thing was that they got an eighth grader who looked more like a 10 year old get up and give us a pep talk. The kid was ON FIRE. I mean amazing. Sweet, funny, real, and just so good at public speaking. We all wanted to adopt him.

I saw my classroom. Pretty much a pit. Starting from scratch again. Whine.

Oh and I don't care how nice they are in real life and how much better they are than the asshole at the other school, all administrators suck. They are so cavalier about the things that matter to you. Re a much needed printer so that we won't have to disturb another class to pick up our printing, she says, "OH, I think D was going to order that. He said he was. But I think he forgot." No phone service -- again we have to interrupt another class. No computers yet. No passwords for the web application to create IEPs. No keys ordered. Re the fact that there are NO translators for Special Education (for IEP's), she is just like, oh well. There are only two for the entire -- large -- district. Yes, we put kids first. Sigh. I was so enthusiastic until the endless days of meetings beat me down and until I saw what it looks like on the ground. What gets me about this administrator is that she used to be a Sped teacher. What happens to them when they get that degree and move into Administration? Body snatched or something.

And our union is sooo in love with administration. I have never been anywhere like that. Today was my first day with veteran teachers, and . . . oh well, it's just like anyplace else. You have to fight to be able to do your job. Any other profession, your bosses understand it's their job to give you the tools and the information you need to perform.

I remember once asking a principal for a teacher's edition of a textbook. His response: "Good luck with that."
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #51
ruthie14

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 1,243 Times in 461 Posts
ruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputation
Wink

My gift has been early childhood education. I love it dearly. However, at 50 years old, I wish I had gone to college for the older grades. You all are very blessed!!

Have a wonderful school year!!

Ruthie
ruthie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ruthie14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #52
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Well...I'm just tired. What a long day...I need to do some paperwork...but don't think I can tonight. Five minutes before open House, which we had to have in the Gym (because of construction), we were told - by the way - you will have no access to your rooms tomorrow (because of construction)...Really???? So now I have to work Sat. GGRRR! Tomorrow, we are getting bussed to a forced pep rally...followed by a whole afternoon of mandated meetings....

Wish I could say I feel better from venting...but I don't really...

District Rah-Rah events are one of my least favorites of all time! I love how you said forced pep. Luckily with testing, new common core and racing there is less pep more fire and brimstone. Oh wait that isn't any better.

Wish I was closer to you to help out with room set up. Saturday work sucks!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #53
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthie14 View Post
My gift has been early childhood education. I love it dearly. However, at 50 years old, I wish I had gone to college for the older grades. You all are very blessed!!

Have a wonderful school year!!

Ruthie
Bless you for teaching the wee ones. I don't know about older. I have 1st/2nd graders this coming year. Older= bigger boogers.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #54
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
By Tuesday, I will have had seven full days of meetings at six different locations. Blah. Tired and losing steam, and I haven't done a lick of work to actually prepare to do my job.
By far one of the worst things about prep days, the lack of prep!

We listened to an executive from a major -- MAJOR -- tech company talk to us today. She had NOTHING new to say except that tech needs prepared grads. No shit. Why am I not shocked? I've yet to listen to a business person say something not redundant or self serving when talking to teachers.

The free pastries don't even make me feel better anymore. I never thought I'd turn my nose up at an apricot danish. LMAO! probably no actual fruit in it!

One funny funny awesome thing was that they got an eighth grader who looked more like a 10 year old get up and give us a pep talk. The kid was ON FIRE. I mean amazing. Sweet, funny, real, and just so good at public speaking. We all wanted to adopt him. And finally inspiration for why you are really there.

I saw my classroom. Pretty much a pit. Starting from scratch again. Whine. Rebuild the temple.

Oh and I don't care how nice they are in real life and how much better they are than the asshole at the other school, all administrators suck. They are so cavalier about the things that matter to you. Re a much needed printer so that we won't have to disturb another class to pick up our printing, she says, "OH, I think D was going to order that. He said he was. But I think he forgot." No phone service -- again we have to interrupt another class. No computers yet. No passwords for the web application to create IEPs. No keys ordered. Re the fact that there are NO translators for Special Education (for IEP's), she is just like, oh well. There are only two for the entire -- large -- district. Yes, we put kids first. Sigh. I was so enthusiastic until the endless days of meetings beat me down and until I saw what it looks like on the ground. What gets me about this administrator is that she used to be a Sped teacher. What happens to them when they get that degree and move into Administration? Body snatched or something. Mandatory Administrative Lobotomy may explain it. And you know there is no reason for late paperwork right? Yes you can kick me...

And our union is sooo in love with administration. I have never been anywhere like that. Today was my first day with veteran teachers, and . . . oh well, it's just like anyplace else. You have to fight to be able to do your job. Any other profession, your bosses understand it's their job to give you the tools and the information you need to perform.

I remember once asking a principal for a teacher's edition of a textbook. His response: "Good luck with that."
Thank you for the preview of my week next week.
Today I had lunch with 2 coworkers. We discussed our plans for regular support meetings. Whatever it takes to keep our focus on the kids.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #55
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

And so it begins...sleepless nights...mind boggling tasks...making it happen with nothing....

I must say....not being dramatic - but, 25 yrs. and I have never started not knowing what I will be doing when I go in Monday....

Also - shouldn't have to go in on a Sat. - yet - but due to construction and lack of leadership...yep - I will be there for 3 or 4 hrs at least today....

I did finally get some help moving stuff yesterday until we were kicked out...

As of yesterday afternoon when we were booted out of the building, no Internet or intercom system...not sure how that will fly Monday...

At our forced pep rally...not so bad - though I couldn't get past seeing $ signs and waste of money after positions being cut, programs slashed, budgets taken, furlough days, no raise in 4 yrs. - the Superintendent speaks at the end....100 people may have clapped out of 6000. Hello!!!! Then he actually made a remark about paying us - moans and groans from the audience....he actually turns from the mic and laughs....He's looking for a buyout!

3 new administrators....not a pretty sight!

besides that...I promise to not bitch and moan .... In my room - I will make unbelievable music with my kids! That - you can count on!

Old 08-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #56
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

BK I am so glad you got to work some in your room. Saturday work is nuts. Unless you like doing it then I suppose it isn't.

I've been amazed by the music teachers I've worked with in the past. What they come up with and how they get the kids to make music together is amazing. I can only imagine what your dedication has created over 25 years. I know you are talking about creating something out of nothing in the wider context. And once the music starts you'll know you are coaching, prodding, guiding lots of someones to make some music!

All the budget cuts, pay cuts, day cuts, position cuts gets so frustrating and disheartening. Especially when sitting in a district rah, rah. I think if you want to work us like dogs then let us in our rooms to work!

Peace BK!
Old 08-13-2012, 02:38 AM   #57
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Old 08-13-2012, 02:39 AM   #58
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #59
stephfromMIT
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Troll
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her
Relationship Status:
engaged to my fiancee Amanda

stephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST Reputation

I'm a future physics proffessor. I'm gearing up for the second year of graduate classes.
stephfromMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stephfromMIT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2012, 03:00 AM   #60
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephfromMIT View Post
I'm a future physics proffessor. I'm gearing up for the second year of graduate classes.

Way to go...you're almost there!

The Following User Says Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:

Tags
careers, educators, gltb, network