Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Politics And Law

Old 01-23-2022, 04:45 AM   #761
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,088 Times in 8,590 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation
Default An architect of critical race theory: ‘We cannot allow all of the lessons from the civil rights movement forward to be packed up a

An architect of critical race theory: ‘We cannot allow all of the lessons from the civil rights movement forward to be packed up and put away for storage’

By KK Ottesen
January 19, 2022 at 7:00 a.m. EST

Social rights advocate and race theory educator Kimberlé Crenshaw. (Ian Maddox/For The Washington Post)

Kimberlé Crenshaw, 62, is a legal scholar who developed the notions of critical race theory and intersectionality. She is a law professor at UCLA and Columbia, where she is co-founder and executive director of the African American Policy Forum and the Center for Intersectionality and Social Policy Studies. She lives in New York and Los Angeles.

Recently, critical race theory burst onto the national scene in a way that probably is somewhat unrecognizable to those who have studied it. Having coined the term yourself, what has your experience been as you’ve seen it become this sort of intellectual boogeyman?

Well, one of the very first articles I wrote was “Race, Reform and Retrenchment.” The entire point was to anticipate that reform would inevitably reproduce retrenchment and backlash. That has been the history of progress around race in the United States: Modest reform creates tremendous backlash. And sometimes the backlash is more enduring than the reform.

Consider we had about a decade of Reconstruction. And we had about seven decades of white supremacy, racial tyranny, utter and complete exclusion. We had probably a good decade, maybe a decade and a half, of active civil rights reforms. And then three, four decades of conservative retrenchment, reactionary responses to these reforms that allow for people to say what they’re saying now, which is that anti-racism is racist, your civil rights violate my civil rights. These are very old and repetitive ideas. So the reform, retrenchment frame is now taking place in the midst of a tremendous resurgence of anti-democratic, anti-inclusionary politics. And, in the context of a new distribution channel that is 24 hours, amplified by completely unaccountable information sources in the Internet. There used to be that saying that a lie gets around the world three times before truth gets its boots on. I’d say now a lie gets around about a million times before truth wakes up and says, “What is happening?”

You watch definitions of work — and words — that you know what they mean be completely turned inside out by power. I mean, that’s what it is. The power to define what your words mean, the power to define what this area of study is. The power to define it in order to destroy it.

You’ve heard critical race theory called “divisive,” “state-sanctioned racism” — can you define what it is and what it isn’t for the lay person?

Critical race theory is a prism for understanding why decades after the end of segregation, over a century and a half after the end of slavery, after genocide has occurred, why racial inequalities are so enduring. Initially, critical race theory focused on law’s role in creating racial inequalities and continuously facilitating them. We were that second generation after the formal collapse of segregation to go into institutions to see the ways that these institutions — largely created during a time where most marginalized people of color were not part of them — function. What are the ways that those institutional structures continue to protect the interests that were created in slavery and that are its descendants?

The middle class was basically created through federal policy that was then distributed in a discriminatory way because of local control. A hundred and twenty billion dollars created the suburbs and did so in a racially discriminatory way. GI Bill created the middle class in a racially discriminatory way. So these are all critical ways of looking at our society.

What experiences as a young person helped inform your work? I know your parents were [politically] active?

When I was in fourth grade, off I go to this new Christian school — before we knew anything about the politics that motivated some of the Christian academies to come online — and find out that I’m one of two Black people in the school. Also, apparently my presence there is a surprise for some of the parents; we’d assumed they’d know Black people are Christians, too. But that wasn’t the point of the school. So there ensued a three-year confrontation with how Christianity and racism were not practices alien to each other in that school. It didn’t help that I was the kid who won the academic contest and went to represent the school in the region. I would always get a talk: “Remember, you’re representing us.” A lot of anxiety about that. My cheers that I brought to the school, because I was a cheerleader, like, “Um, we can’t do that. That’s a little too …” I know they were basically saying “too Black.” But it really came to a head in a class where one of the teachers read Revelations to apply to the civil right protests that were going on. She was literally teaching that the civil rights movement and then the Black Power movement, that we were in the final days and these Black activists were basically demons. And every day my hand was up: “My brother was one of those people.” And so I’m fighting back, and off to the office I go for intentional disobedience. It was the beginning of understanding how school can discipline us away from confronting the truths about our society and try to weaponize us, to be agents of some of these ridiculous ideas. And I was like, “Ma, you’ve got to get me out of this school.”

How did you have the courage to speak up then?

So my parents, they’re called race men and women of the 20th century. The motto of some of them was “lifting as we climb.” My grandmother was in a Black women’s club movement. My mother had integrated the local lunch counter and the local pool, partly because her father was the town physician for Black folks, so they were able to do some of that without having the backlash — you’d get fired for doing that. So I think that came from her background straight to me. And my father’s father was a minister, also given some degree of independence. So together their understanding was when we sit down at the dinner table, you need to have something to say about what you’ve seen in the world, what have you contributed to the world, what is your thinking. And so they would hear from me my efforts to put together what it meant in the world to be this little Black kid. [Laughs.] And so speaking my mind, at least to the world, was encouraged — they sometimes had a little issue when I said: Well, how come this particular unfairness is happening in the home? But the environment encouraged critical thinking and reflection and instilled a responsibility to address unfairness or address racism where I saw it. It just so happened it was in my classroom.

When you see all those parents out protesting at school board meetings about critical race theory being taught in the classrooms, what do you think?

I think that the Republican right-wing outrage machine is very, very powerful. I see the money behind it. I see the slick, high-production-value videos and booklets, and I see the common language and phrases, and I just know it’s a campaign. A campaign that is nicely framed as grass roots when, in fact, it is not. I see the fingerprints of the think tanks that for some time have been rooting around for something that would catch fire. And I see that parents, some of them, if you just follow some of the organizations — the Moms for Liberty — you see this is a regeneration of activists who have been in various formations. It plays well on TV, and it is a show. It’s like reality TV, which is not necessarily reality.

And I think: Where is the outrage about the things that really are putting children at risk? And there are things that are really putting children at risk, right? It is not critical race theory. And when I look at the list of topics now banned because they’re discriminatory, I can’t help but notice what’s not there: eugenics, “The Bell Curve,” things that if there really, really was concernabout teaching our children ideas that are divisive and that cause us not to share in our common heritage of Americans, it would be a whole different list.

It seems that critical race theory came into the [national] conversation as a backlash to progress made after the killing of George Floyd and a grappling with long-standing, systemic issues.

Absolutely. Think about it: The George Floyd situation was a generational moment. Right? It was huge. Every state in the union had a march. The majority of people out there were not of color. Language was being shared widely for the first time: “systemic racism,” “institutionalized patterns of marginality,” “racial power.” People were saying these words in a way that they hadn’t — ever! Yet, and this is where some of the problem is, it’s like those songs where everybody knows the chorus and they sing the chorus at the top of their lungs. And then [the rest of the song is]: Mmmuuhmm da da da da mmmmmmmerm — that’s kind of the situation we had. With no real literacy beyond that, with no capacity to actually say: Okay, so tell us what that means, what needs to be done. Tell us what the policies are that allow us to unravel the institutionalized forms of inequality that you are now talking about.

And if you don’t have the ability to do it, you’ve picked a fight with a giant, and you don’t have ammunition. You don’t have troops, you don’t have the war plan to respond to it. And you know the reasons why are that this is new for many people. This was produced by a singular moment, and that moment is increasingly looking like it may be singular if we’re not prepared in this moment to actually say: This really is what structural racism is. It’s not this stuff that these other people are talking about.

You saw [Florida Gov. Ron] DeSantis issued an “anti-woke” act?

Yes. And he actually used Martin Luther King to support the idea. What can be more a statement of racial power than to use a martyr who died for a particular cause, to use his name in order to say that he would support eliminating further discourse about the cause that he died for? I mean, what could be more an example of this sort of boundless capacity for contradiction for hypocrisy? He was a critical race theorist before there was a name for it. So that would be bad enough if they were just using Martin Luther King as a justification, but the fact that some of these folks are also saying we need to take Martin Luther King’s books, or a story of his March on Washington, out of the curriculum even as they’re using it to justify it.

We cannot allow all of the lessons from the civil rights movement forward to be packed up and put away for storage. Because if that happens, anything and everything that speaks of diversity and fairness and inclusion will always be vulnerable to: Well, that’s just critical race theory. And so you have to recognize that the effort to pack all this together is not just about critical race theory. It’s about the entire justice project.

So how do you think about reform in a way that doesn’t cause one step forward, seven steps back?

It’s my constant question. You know, one of the things that I think about — a lot — is if we were to go back and talk to, I don’t know, Frederick Douglass in 1874 or any of the Black congressmen who were elected to serve Congress or any of the senators or the lieutenant governors who were Black or the majority who in South Carolina actually ran their governments there before the great coups that ended that experiment in multiracial democracy — if we were to say, “Look, this is what happened.” [Laughs.] “What now would you do differently? What could have been done differently?” — what would they tell us? Did they have any idea that they would be wiped out of politics altogether? Did they have any idea that some of them would be killed? Did they have any idea that race riots would be political coups? And if they had that idea, what would they have done differently?

We have been kind of raised with the assumption that everything is always forward, with the assumption that democracy is just in our DNA, and certain things are just never going to happen. Moving forward, we have to acknowledge that being vigilant and productive about preventing this kind of thing from happening again is not simply a matter of singing “Kumbaya,” it’s not just a pat on the back, it’s really looking deeply into our institutions and into our culture to understand why these things keep happening.

So when we’re looking at something like this that makes no sense, it should tell us that there’s a deeper logic driving it. And that deeper logic goes all the way back to: We are a country that was grounded in a racial project. For the longest part, we were a White nation, and our laws said so and our Constitution was interpreted to reinforce that. That doesn’t go away just because we stopped saying it.

Is it better in your mind that critical race theory is out there being talked about, even if it’s being misused, rather than existing in its pure state but in a much smaller conversation?

That is the question of the moment, and I think we won’t know the final judgment on this until history writes this story. And that turns on who’s doing the writing. [Laughs.] Which is honestly what’s at stake right now. This is about what the future knows about this moment.

My thought, my hope, is that having put front and center in the American consciousness the importance of what histories we tell will bring constituents, parents, policymakers to the table in a way that they haven’t been in the past. To really understand that to think about race is not the problem. To be racist is the problem. And racism is not primarily a thought crime; it’s an action crime. It’s an institutional problem. So is it better that this has happened? I would say, if it turns out that it makes people who should have been conversant in these ideas realize that there is no democracy without grappling with these issues, that there’s no daylight between maintaining a multiracial democracy and being fully literate on anti-racism. If people recognize now what this has to do with January 6, if they recognize now what this has to do with the deterioration of our democracy, then it will have been a good thing. Because it’s a five-alarm situation.

KK Ottesen is a regular contributor to the WaPo magazine.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...fad_story.html
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2022, 06:52 AM   #762
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

I love that it took some old ass hippies to shake up Spotify.

Boomers, indeed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2022, 09:05 AM   #763
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Sen. Susan Collins, a Republican from Maine, said she supported the appointment of a Black woman to the US Supreme Court to fill the vacancy left by the retiring Associate Justice Stephen Breyer.

"I would welcome the appointment of a Black female to the court," she said. "I believe that diversity benefits the Supreme Court, but the way that the president has handled this nomination has been clumsy at best."

Well Susan at least President Biden is a man of his word UNLIKE you! How many terms have you served??????
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2022, 05:14 PM   #764
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Susan Collins won't say whether she'd back Donald Trump in 2024. Why not?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/31/polit...ort/index.html
Old 02-01-2022, 07:49 AM   #765
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Sen. Susan Collins, a Republican from Maine, said she supported the appointment of a Black woman to the US Supreme Court to fill the vacancy left by the retiring Associate Justice Stephen Breyer.

"I would welcome the appointment of a Black female to the court," she said. "I believe that diversity benefits the Supreme Court, but the way that the president has handled this nomination has been clumsy at best."

Well Susan at least President Biden is a man of his word UNLIKE you! How many terms have you served??????
Yanno, the Senate backed Reagan after he promised to nominate a woman as a Supreme while campaigning. He nominated Sandra Day O'Connor. I think Bush#1 intentionally chose a Black conservative (Justice Thomas) to replace Thurgood Marshall. (I don't have any proof of this, hence the word "think.") I think Clinton chose RBG, in part, because she was a woman and Jewish. Bush#2 nominated Alito, who was not his first choice (Harriet Miers was his first choice), because Alito was more conservative than the person being replaced (O'Connor), but I think he also went with Alito because Alito was Italian and Catholic. Many of these decisions were made, I think, to create a diverse Supreme court. Biden is doing the same.

I have been hoping for the day when we nominate an American Indian as a Supreme (shame on us for never even considering one), but I have no beef with Biden nominating a Black woman. It's a promise he has to keep. Doesn't mean the Senate will make it easy for her, nor is there a guarantee that the person confirmed will be a woman, let alone a Black woman, but his promise was to nominate a Black woman and that's what he's doing.

Deals like the one Biden made with Rep. Clyburn are made all the time, but in secrecy. Biden put it all on the table—personally, I didn't think he had it in him to do this in the open, my bad.

I'm glad Biden is doing this in the daylight. I wish more politicians were open about the promises they make to get into office.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2022, 11:16 AM   #766
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Collins Prepares to Do Silly Moderate Dance All Over Again...

Maine Senator Susan Collins has a lot of friends. First elected to the Senate in 1996, she developed a reputation as a reasonable, moderate Republican willing to work across the aisle to get things done. These years of niceties and moderation, culminating in her party-breaching vote to convict Donald Trump in his post-Jan. 6 impeachment trial, have turned Collins into one Democrats’ last remaining hopes for making progress in a deadlocked Congress, and a potential saving grace should the Grand Old Party decided to wholeheartedly embrace Trumpism once again.

Or, that’s the narrative that Susan Collins likes to put forward. In reality, she has proved time and time again to be just as craven as the rest, and only interested in moderation or bipartisanship when it serves her agenda.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...130052122.html
Old 02-01-2022, 11:23 AM   #767
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Ted Cruz says it's 'offensive' and an 'insult' that Biden pledged to nominate a Black woman to the Supreme Court.

Ya know what some might consider "offensive"? A Texas Senator who flew to Cancun, Mexico, amid a weather crisis last year around this time!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ted-cruz-...220438275.html
Old 05-04-2022, 06:40 AM   #768
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Oh dear .........

Susan Collins Dismayed Supreme Court Justice Misled Her On Abortion.

Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) expressed disappointment Tuesday with the leaked Supreme Court draft that would overturn abortion rights ― saying that if it’s true, they were misled by certain justices during their confirmation hearings. “If this leaked draft opinion is the final decision and this reporting is accurate, it would be completely inconsistent with what Justice Gorsuch and Justice Kavanaugh said in their hearings and in our meetings in my office,” Collins said in a statement.

Susan was your head so far up your arse that you didn't hear former member of the Supreme Court, Justice John Paul Stevens say that Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh was not qualified to sit on the court?

Just to refresh your memory:

Justice Stevens said he came to the conclusion reluctantly, changing his mind about Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination after the second round of the judge’s confirmation hearings last week. Judge Kavanaugh’s statements at those hearings, Justice Stevens said, revealed prejudices that would make it impossible for him to do the court’s work, a point he said had been made by prominent commentators.

“They suggest that he has demonstrated a potential bias involving enough potential litigants before the court that he would not be able to perform his full responsibilities,” Justice Stevens said in remarks to retirees in Boca Raton, Fla. “And I think there is merit in that criticism and that the senators should really pay attention to it.”
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2022, 07:00 AM   #769
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Ocasio-Cortez Torches Collins And Murkowski: 'They Don't Get To Play Victim Now'

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) tore into Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) on Tuesday after they expressed dismay at the Supreme Court’s leaked draft majority opinion that would overturn landmark abortion rights decisions.

“Murkowski voted for Amy Coney Barrett when Trump himself proclaimed that he was appointing justices specifically to overturn Roe,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted. “She and Collins betrayed the nation’s reproductive rights when they were singularly capable of stopping the slide. They don’t get to play victim now.”

The senators, who both claim to support abortion rights, provided key support to justices appointed by former President Donald Trump who now appear poised to gut Roe. v. Wade. (Collins voted to confirm Neil Gorsuch in 2017 and Brett Kavanaugh in 2018; Murkowski voted to confirm Gorsuch and Amy Coney Barrett in 2020).
Old 05-04-2022, 02:12 PM   #770
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,871 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

All of this nonsense is done by rich, religious, immoral, individuals of all ethnic backgrounds, to gain more votes!

There is no longer separation of church and state, like it's supposed to be!

If you aren't rich, religious, immoral and are common man, it's obvious now that no parties in the government give 2 craps about any of us! They are doing this for their own egos and for mid terms.

I am so dismayed with this country and government!

Albert Einstein
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2022, 03:09 PM   #771
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default If you've looking to sell that bridge you own......

Old 05-04-2022, 04:10 PM   #772
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default WTF...

Matt Gaetz is a model avatar for the Republican Party’s manic culture war. As a far-right reactionary currently under investigation for sex crimes, he checks several boxes of hypocrisy so often seen among the GOP’s moral crusaders. It makes sense, then, that he delivered the best encapsulation of the socially conservative right’s response to pro-choice protests now sweeping the country.

“How many of the women rallying against overturning Roe are over-educated, under-loved millennials who sadly return from protests to a lonely microwave dinner with their cats, and no bumble matches?” Gaetz asked on Twitter on Wednesday morning.

Shaking my head!

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...204017918.html
Old 05-05-2022, 03:23 PM   #773
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Priceless response from Steven Colbert....

Quote:
Matt Gaetz is a model avatar for the Republican Party’s manic culture war. As a far-right reactionary currently under investigation for sex crimes, he checks several boxes of hypocrisy so often seen among the GOP’s moral crusaders. It makes sense, then, that he delivered the best encapsulation of the socially conservative right’s response to pro-choice protests now sweeping the country.

“How many of the women rallying against overturning Roe are over-educated, under-loved millennials who sadly return from protests to a lonely microwave dinner with their cats, and no bumble matches?” Gaetz asked on Twitter on Wednesday morning.

Shaking my head!

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...204017918.html
“In response to the nationwide protests, this morning Gaetz tweeted, ‘How many of the women rallying against overturning Roe are over-educated, under-loved millennials who sadly return from protests to a lonely microwave dinner with their cats, and no bumble matches?'”

After reading Gaetz’s gross take, Colbert quipped, “Now folks, if that statement sounds insane, remember, for Matt Gaetz ‘over-educated’ is any woman who’s already graduated high school.”

Gaetz is currently under federal investigation for sex crimes, specifically whether he had sex with a 17-year-old girl for money in 2017 and whether he paid to transport women across state lines for sex. He is also being investigated for obstructing justice, per NBC News.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:44 AM   #774
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Former White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders speaks at a campaign stop at a Dairy Queen in Little Rock, Ark., Monday, May 2, 2022. Sanders is seeking the Republican nomination for governor in the Arkansas primary.

Can I just say anyone who would vote for this lying sack of shit should have their head examined!
Old 05-23-2022, 05:25 AM   #775
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
“In response to the nationwide protests, this morning Gaetz tweeted, ‘How many of the women rallying against overturning Roe are over-educated, under-loved millennials who sadly return from protests to a lonely microwave dinner with their cats, and no bumble matches?'”

After reading Gaetz’s gross take, Colbert quipped, “Now folks, if that statement sounds insane, remember, for Matt Gaetz ‘over-educated’ is any woman who’s already graduated high school.”

Gaetz is currently under federal investigation for sex crimes, specifically whether he had sex with a 17-year-old girl for money in 2017 and whether he paid to transport women across state lines for sex. He is also being investigated for obstructing justice, per NBC News.
We've got to get something better on him and I'm sure there's a better scoop. Personally, I don't believe a young woman of 17 years is a child. I am not the only woman who started hooking at 15, started working the streets to get out of an emotionally abusive household. Worked until a little over 16 and was able to move to Chicago where I continued as it was the easiest way to make good money. Waiting tables was tedious and not nearly as lucrative.

No regrets. In fact, am active in a group trying to lower the age of consent to 16. Young women of 16 should have all the rights and responsibilities that pertain to adult women. I get disturbed when they call these sex-workers children.

Yes, Matt Gaetz is a Right-wing sleaze bag. There's got to be something else to pin on him...his closet has to be full of skeletons.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:45 AM   #776
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
open

cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
She wasn't the only one shocked at the revelation. Consider myself a woman of the world and it shocked me. Who can you believe if a judge is testifying in Congress under oath?! It shook me as I couldn't believe that someone would lie under Congressional Oath. I would think that's the one place a person wouldn't lie. After that, I became very cynical (much more than usual) thinking about who can be believed. Came up with no one, and now I distrust my doctor and even my Partner. I'm sure it will blow over...eventually. I grew up a gullible Hoosier where truth-telling is a societal norm and lies are the exception to the rule!

Scotty, beam me back to that time and place.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:15 AM   #777
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Alternative facts Conway.......

Kellyanne Conway slams 'shrewd and calculating' Jared Kushner in memoir: 'There was no subject he considered beyond his expertise'.She called Kushner "shrewd and calculating" and criticized his sprawling portfolio.

I doubt I'll be buying her book Here's the Deal: A Memoir

IMHO the one thing that stands out in all these individuals book's written AFTER they left Trump's service, is that they were experts at lying and spin control!
Old 05-26-2022, 03:59 AM   #778
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
open

The book doesn't appeal to me either.

The fascists published after being complicit in Tru*p's regime reminds me of Albert Speer's (Hitler's architect) publishing a multitude of works after being convicted for Crimes against Humanity at Nurenberg. He was sentenced to twenty years after the Holocaust.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:40 AM   #779
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post
Yanno, the Senate backed Reagan after he promised to nominate a woman as a Supreme while campaigning. He nominated Sandra Day O'Connor. I think Bush#1 intentionally chose a Black conservative (Justice Thomas) to replace Thurgood Marshall. (I don't have any proof of this, hence the word "think.") I think Clinton chose RBG, in part, because she was a woman and Jewish. Bush#2 nominated Alito, who was not his first choice (Harriet Miers was his first choice), because Alito was more conservative than the person being replaced (O'Connor), but I think he also went with Alito because Alito was Italian and Catholic. Many of these decisions were made, I think, to create a diverse Supreme court. Biden is doing the same.

I have been hoping for the day when we nominate an American Indian as a Supreme (shame on us for never even considering one), but I have no beef with Biden nominating a Black woman. It's a promise he has to keep. Doesn't mean the Senate will make it easy for her, nor is there a guarantee that the person confirmed will be a woman, let alone a Black woman, but his promise was to nominate a Black woman and that's what he's doing.

Deals like the one Biden made with Rep. Clyburn are made all the time, but in secrecy. Biden put it all on the table—personally, I didn't think he had it in him to do this in the open, my bad.

I'm glad Biden is doing this in the daylight. I wish more politicians were open about the promises they make to get into office.
Orema, perhaps you would answer a question that has been burning in my soul since Justice Clarence Thomas was confirmed and have been too embarrassed until now to ask.

Here goes. Justice Thomas is one of the most conservative justices serving on the SCOTUS. How can someone who is of color (any BIPOC) align with conservative right-wingers given what the BIPOC community has endured from slavery or the Indigenous atrocities to the racism and Jim Crow seemingly resurging? I truly don't understand ignoring one's people's history. As a Jew, I have difficulty dealing with anti-Semitic people and choose not to associate with groups who have members of that ilk. As a Socialist, I choose not to deal with any right-wing ideologues. I steer clear of both of the above-mentioned groups feeling very uncomfortable in their presence.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:57 AM   #780
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathexis View Post
Orema, perhaps you would answer a question that has been burning in my soul since Justice Clarence Thomas was confirmed and have been too embarrassed until now to ask.

Here goes. Justice Thomas is one of the most conservative justices serving on the SCOTUS. How can someone who is of color (any BIPOC) align with conservative right-wingers given what the BIPOC community has endured from slavery or the Indigenous atrocities to the racism and Jim Crow seemingly resurging? I truly don't understand ignoring one's people's history. As a Jew, I have difficulty dealing with anti-Semitic people and choose not to associate with groups who have members of that ilk. As a Socialist, I choose not to deal with any right-wing ideologues. I steer clear of both of the above-mentioned groups feeling very uncomfortable in their presence.
WTF? You'll need to get this lesson from another.

Don't ask me to explain or help you understand shit like this. I'm not here for that.

I'm in pain. I wake up each morning to another horrible story about Black people being tackled, shot at, or killed and the last thing I want to do is explain shit like this.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post: