Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 04-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #61
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
Sassy I love my Color Nook! I am posting from it right now while at work. It is much easier to tote around than my laptop and a great deal lighter. I have had it since Christmas and still have yet to truly explore all of the fun things about it. I like the ability to borrow from the library and it has a Lend feature I have yet to try out. When things slow down as far as my classes go I will explore more of the features my Nook has to offer. My suggestion would be to look at all of the e-readers that are out and find what works best for all of you.
Oh I didn't know you got one! Remember me drooling over then at the B to the N? I couldn't justify spending that much on a toy, but now the cost is low and will have paid for itself in no time.

There is no B & N here.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #62
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,558 Times in 2,992 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation
Red face

Is $89 for wireless 2nd generation kindle a good price?

It comes with free 3g.

Thanks in advance for answering.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #63
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,130 Times in 6,413 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherboi View Post
Is $89 for wireless 2nd generation kindle a good price?

It comes with free 3g.

Thanks in advance for answering.

Yes. Very. Buy me one. LOL
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #64
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

I just downloaded a bunch of free books on my Kindle.

There is a Facebook app called Bookgorilla (or the site is bookgorilla.com) and everyday they announce the free or very cheap books on Amazon. Some of them were very good deals!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #65
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Just a hint: If you friend the Amazon Kindle on Facebook, they will give you the tip-off when Amazon puts on the good .99 sales! I picked up about 8 different books a few weeks ago that had been ranging anywhere from $5- $12 normally!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #66
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I meant to ask: Has anyone read "The Hunger Games"? I keep seeing people talk about this book and one of my friends recommended it to me but am I understanding correctly that this is a young adult series?
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #67
chanale

How Do You Identify?:
femme

chanale is on a distinguished road

I love my iPad, which has a Kindle app (also iBooks, Google Books, etc.). It's been incredibly useful to sling a library's worth of books over my shoulder--I'm on the run a lot and never know in advance what I'll be in the mood to read when opportunity presents.

Medusa - Yes, it is the first in a YA series. I have not yet read it myself (though I did get the eBook already), but the ladies from my book group say it's gripping.
chanale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #68
Tawse

How Do You Identify?:
TG Gender Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,739 Times in 644 Posts
Tawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Just got my Kindle so it's the latest edition - but I got my baby one for Xmas so she has the previous edition.

We have both fallen in love with them. She can toss them both in her purse and we're on the go! As far as the ereader part - I echo everyone else who has gushed so far...

As far as something new to add - for those with Free 3G (Or if you're in a wifi area) they have an experimental browser that you can access from the menu screen when at the home screen. Just go to "experimental" and then click on Web Browser.

Be warned: it's craptastic at this point, but it will do when you have no other options.

Only reasons I mention it are because #1 it's FREE internet for now (that's right they don't charge anything for browsing) and #2 At least in Canada it's still free!!! Yeah to no international roaming / browser fees.

And it has great coverage - we were at a cottage on Lake Huron the past couple of weeks and do I need to say Isolated? Ok it's not completely isolated but the closest "town" was 10 miles away and it only had 8k people. Ok it was Isolated for this City guy... anyway that's not the point - We got Kindle coverage! Yay!!!! lol

eta: it had 8k not only 8 people lol big difference.
Tawse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tawse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #69
Library_girl

How Do You Identify?:
Old School Femme, girl, babygirl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, & other girly words
Relationship Status:
Married to DJ Bear

Thanked 1,247 Times in 280 Posts
Library_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanale View Post
I love my iPad, which has a Kindle app (also iBooks, Google Books, etc.). It's been incredibly useful to sling a library's worth of books over my shoulder--I'm on the run a lot and never know in advance what I'll be in the mood to read when opportunity presents.
I just got an iPad a couple of weeks ago, and I just love it. How did I ever live without it? (I felt the same way about my first iPhone.)

Btw, check your local library's website for ebooks. I'm a librarian, and our library offers them. You can't get better than FREE, right?
Library_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #70
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,130 Times in 6,413 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I meant to ask: Has anyone read "The Hunger Games"? I keep seeing people talk about this book and one of my friends recommended it to me but am I understanding correctly that this is a young adult series?

Hunger Games and the other books in that series (think it's a trilogy) has had outstanding press from YA and adult readers alike. I am a huge fan of YA but I haven't read that series yet.

It's being made into a movie already.

By the way, I now have a Kindle. A fellow author was selling her DX for really cheap. I jumped on it with both feet! It's the one with free 3G so I was doubly delighted.

'Dusa, if you want any YA recommendations, holler at me.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #71
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Arwen ..and all who have a Kindle.. not sure if you are aware but Kindle has free book giveaways which are announced on Facebook... it's called *Kindle Nation*... also another is *BookGorilla*.. they post when there are give aways and some books have been really good !

I love the Text to Speech function, last night I texted, crocheted and read a book all at once, My ADD loves it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 AM   #72
ruffryder

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
guy ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 9,678 Times in 2,875 Posts
ruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputation

I got my daughter a kindle quite a few months ago. I guess it's time to figure it out and get some books.
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ruffryder For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #73
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

I don't know if everyone is set up this way but I have Amazon and my Kindle synced together... so I browse on the Mac, buy a book (even the free ones you have to *buy* and within 30 seconds it's there on the Kindle...

I don't like using the internet on the Kindle as much as I love my Mac
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #74
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I have a Kindle and an Ipad, and I greatly prefer the Kindle for reading. If I am traveling I take the Ipad as an all in one, but for home and short trips the kindle is great. It is very lightweight, easy to read, and is very easy to hold for my getting arthritis fingers. I can eat a meal and read, I never lose my page, and the battery lasts for a month!
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #75
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post
I have a Kindle and an Ipad, and I greatly prefer the Kindle for reading. If I am traveling I take the Ipad as an all in one, but for home and short trips the kindle is great. It is very lightweight, easy to read, and is very easy to hold for my getting arthritis fingers. I can eat a meal and read, I never lose my page, and the battery lasts for a month!

Agreed on the battery, I've had mine since May and I have charged it ONCE.
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #76
Daktari

As the rumours of Kindle 4 increase refurbished Kindle 3s are available from Amazon for quite a lot less than a non-refurb.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #77
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Thanked 2,376 Times in 616 Posts
blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
Amazing futuristic series where youth fight in a "food Olympics" to feed their communities.

Another great series is FableHaven. It's for about 5-6th grade.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #78
SecretAgentMa'am

How Do You Identify?:
Redheaded Bellydancing Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Very married

SecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I was thinking about getting a cover with a built in light, but Medusa said she'd read that they can crack the front! I do think it would be nice if they were backlit, but I understand they are hard on your eyes and the battery life sucks.
I have the cover with the built-in light and I *love* it! There was an issue with cracking, but they found and fixed the problem, so the new covers are just fine with no problems. I can't go to sleep at night without reading in bed, and my wife goes to sleep really early. It's been perfect for us.

I love my Kindle so much. I have the 3rd Gen with 3G and WiFi, and it's fabulous. I'm a voracious reader, and I often have 3 or 4 books going at once, so it's a lifesaver for me. I'm also a student, and every semester there are more and more textbooks available in ebook format. Every huge textbook I don't have to lug around with me is a big plus.

One of the things I love is the ability to read new authors I would have been unlikely to try or even find before. I adore the urban fantasy genre, but there's a lot utter crap to wade through in the genre to find the good stuff. With my Kindle, I can download a sample and read the first chapter or so at my leisure. Way better than trying to find the time to spend hours standing in the aisle of a bookstore trying to decide what I want to spend money on.

Ebooks also make it a lot easier to read authors who are self-publishing. Now, anyone can write a book and publish it themselves as an ebook and charge whatever they decide for it.

Does everyone know about Calibre? It's a great (free!) program to have if you don't want to be married to Amazon for your ebooks. As long as they're DRM-free, you can download an ebook in any format and use Calibre to convert it to a Kindle (or Nook, or whatever) friendly format and get it onto your Kindle. So if your favorite author is only publishing in epub format, it doesn't matter, you can read it on your Kindle anyway. I love it. http://calibre-ebook.com/
Old 09-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #79
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

http://kindlenationdaily.com/2011/09...lus-romi-moon/
Old 09-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #80
PinkieLee

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
I need ya boo, gotta see ya boo

Thanked 13,086 Times in 3,051 Posts
PinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST Reputation

Question....

Has anyone ever had a problem with the screen becoming damaged? I tried to turn mine on yesterday, and the screen became jumbled with the sleep mode image & the current book I was reading. I looked closely at the screen, and noticed a small scratch... and the image starts to spiderweb out from that scratch. I tried the reset deal (with holding the slide button for 20 seconds) and nothing happened.

I saw on Amazon that the Kindles have a one year warranty, but I don't know if it's MY fault (like something scratched it) or if it is a defect. I'm kinda worried that I'm gonna have to buy another one. I guess I really need to invest in a case, instead of just throwing it in my purse
PinkieLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, kindle