Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 01-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #21
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,580 Times in 2,650 Posts
ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

My wife uses it as a face toner. 1 part avc 1water.
ahk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 PM   #22
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahk View Post
My wife uses it as a face toner. 1 part avc 1water.
Yes! That was the other thing I read about and have been doing the last couple of nights! I also have an Aztec clay mask thing that I mixed with it and my face was smooth as a baby's butt when I washed it all off.

Trying to phase out all of my skin products that are not natural and switch to things like lemons as a chemical-free facial peel and ACV is definitely on my list of faves so far
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #23
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
And while we're at it, I read up on apple cider vinegar and all of the supposed health benefits. One of my girlfriends also said she had success with it for inflammation.
I have been taking a tablespoon in the morning and a tablespoon at night and I swear I feel like my knees are happier. I also seem to feel less bloat in the stomach area. Don't know if this is psychosomatic or what but it's cool nonetheless.

Anyone else tried it or have a vinegar routine they'd be willing to share?
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar to one gallon of water. Soak your non organic fruits and vegetables for 15 minutes. Significantly reduces pesticides. You have to be careful with soft fruits like strawberries. They can get waterlogged. Reduce the amount of time, if needed.

As an aside, apples carry more pesticides than any other fruit.

Take Tumeric/Cucumin capsules to reduce inflammation throughout the whole body.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #24
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar to one gallon of water. Soak your non organic fruits and vegetables for 10 minutes. Significantly reduces pesticides. As an aside, apples carry more pesticides than any other fruit.

Take Tumeric/Cucumin capsules to reduce inflammation throughout the whole body.

Oooh! GREAT tip! I've seen those vegetable washes at the grocery store and always kinda tilted my head at spraying more shit on the fruit to get the pesticides off but I LOVE hearing I can use vinegar to clean the veggies and fruits!

And for turmeric! Ok, so Julie gave me some turmeric at the Reunion and I totally made fun of her and myself and referred to that as "the diarrhea pill" all weekend! But I have to admit, I recently ordered a pound of turmeric powder and a capsule-making thing because I felt amazing after the diarrhea pill at Reunion.
Reading up on it, it is apparently part of the ginger family?! And apparently you can also make paste for skin disorders like psoriases and chicken pox? Pretty amazing to say the least!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #25
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Oooh! GREAT tip! I've seen those vegetable washes at the grocery store and always kinda tilted my head at spraying more shit on the fruit to get the pesticides off but I LOVE hearing I can use vinegar to clean the veggies and fruits!

And for turmeric! Ok, so Julie gave me some turmeric at the Reunion and I totally made fun of her and myself and referred to that as "the diarrhea pill" all weekend! But I have to admit, I recently ordered a pound of turmeric powder and a capsule-making thing because I felt amazing after the diarrhea pill at Reunion.
Reading up on it, it is apparently part of the ginger family?! And apparently you can also make paste for skin disorders like psoriases and chicken pox? Pretty amazing to say the least!
Medusa, I am telling you, tumeric is the way to go. Inflammation is truly the root of all diseases (cancer). Glad to hear you are going to start taking it (make Jack, too!). Yes, I heard about the paste, as well. :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #26
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge-Smile View Post
Hi Medusa,
If you are having trouble sleeping, be sure you aren't mineral deficient. That makes a huge difference, believe it or not. Valerian root is okay in my experience, but it didn't really make any appreciable difference in my insomnia.

By the way, it can be addictive. Please take care with the amount you use as well as how often.

A few years ago, I was lucky to have a kinesiologist work on me. He really honed right in on my problem areas just like a laser beam. I found his subsequent nutritional recommendations as well as his suggested vitamin and mineral regimen to be superlative.

Of course, like anything, you need to really look into the background of your practitioners as well as their experience level. YMMV, but if you have someone reputable in your area, it is a great thing to do for yourself.

Great thread!
I am not sure where you got your information on Valerian Root being addictive, but as a former Health & Beauty Aids buyer for our local health food co-operative, this is news to me.

Valerian root is appropriate for those suffering from mild anxiety and sleeplessness related to menopause/hormonal fluctuations/depression, etc.

That being said, if you are on prescription meds for any of the above, there very well may be contraindicational information that you may want to look in to.

If you drink alcoholic beverages on a regular basis, Valerian can impact your liver/kidney function in a negative manner. When I was having daily panic attacks and taking large doses at night to help me sleep, I noticed a yellowing of my iris' which is an indicator that one's liver/kidneys are being compromised.

As with *any* supplement/additive, when taken for long periods of time, when suddenly discontinued, side-effects can be quite noticeable. Titrating is always the best method, unless otherwise directed by a doctor.
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #27
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Medusa, I am telling you, tumeric is the way to go. Inflammation is truly the root of all diseases (cancer). Glad to hear you are going to start taking it (make Jack, too!). Yes, I heard about the paste, as well. :-)
I'm believing that more and more!!

This year's New Years Resolutions were different for me on a lot of levels. First, I hate to make "diet" resolutions because I actually like my body the way it is, or at least the size it is so "dieting" for weight loss or beauty has never been a thing for me. I do, however, feel closer to 40 every day and my knees and ankles are pissed off all the time because my luscious fat ass is heavy!

I have been slowly cutting down on white sugar and noticed and immediate difference in how bloated I felt all the time and also how dehydrated I felt. And almost overnight I noticed a difference in how stiff my knees were in the morning .

Also cutting out lots of processed foods and adding supplements and herbal alternatives and after reading up on tumeric and fish oil and vinegar, I'm a believer. I keep going back to thinking about how many people I know who are on prescription drugs for inflammation and joint pain who are also dealing with nasty side effects. That is something I definitely want to avoid!!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #28
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Sounds fantastic, Medusa. Strongly consider decreasing/getting rid of white flour. Lets say I go get a veggie sub at our deli two days in a row (which is not uncommon). If it is on white bread I am falling alseep on my clients at 1:00pm. If it is on wheat bread, I am good to go! Same sandwich, same ingredients. Different breads.

It really is amazing. That, and not eating dairy makes a big difference in energy level for me. Night and day.

Same with sugar (like you said). Try Agave Nectar. That is what we use. Only other sweetner you should consider is Stevia (Truvia brand is made from stevia).

ETA: A comment on "Fish Oil". Consider buying Omega-3 tablets. "Fish Oil" typically has both Omega 3 and Omega 6. If they are not in the right combinations (which they aren't in most packagings), then it throws the whole game off (and can actually be more harmful than good). Our bodies definitely get enough Omega 6 in foods. Just buy Omega 3 tablets (I recently stole Fish Oil from my mother and replaced it with Omega 3. ha!). It will be right next to the "Fish Oil" in the aisle.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #29
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Sounds fantastic, Medusa. Strongly consider decreasing/getting rid of white flour. Lets say I go get a veggie sub at our deli two days in a row (which is not uncommon). If it is on white bread I am falling alseep on my clients at 1:00pm. If it is on wheat bread, I am good to go! Same sandwich, same ingredients. Different breads.

It really is amazing. That, and not eating dairy makes a big difference in energy level for me. Night and day.

Same with sugar (like you said). Try Agave Nectar. That is what we use. Only other sweetner you should consider is Stevia (Truvia brand is made from stevia).

ETA: A comment on "Fish Oil". Consider buying Omega-3 tablets. "Fish Oil" typically has both Omega 3 and Omega 6. If they are not in the right combinations (which they aren't in most packagings), then it throws the whole game off (and can actually be more harmful than good). Our bodies definitely get enough Omega 6 in foods. Just buy Omega 3 tablets (I recently stole Fish Oil from my mother and replaced it with Omega 3. ha!). It will be right next to the "Fish Oil" in the aisle.

I'll dig out my capsules and post what they are - Julie actually sent them to me for Christmas and they aren't just straight fish oil. They have a bunch of wonderful things in them besides the fish oil
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #30
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
I'll dig out my capsules and post what they are - Julie actually sent them to me for Christmas and they aren't just straight fish oil. They have a bunch of wonderful things in them besides the fish oil
Great. I'm curious.

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 06:51 AM   #31
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,115 Times in 2,999 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Apple Cider Vinegar rules. We use it for many things. I am often saying, when promoting acv, that usually when I meet some really healthy 90something year old, they tell me that their secret is that they drink acv in some form every morning.

My daughter does a fair amount of theater work, which can make for a sore throat. She brings a thermos with her of hot water with raw honey, lemon, and acv in it. Works every time.

We drink the same blend for flu/sore throat/congestion, etc.

Same drink in the morning whenever doing any sort of detox, or just need a pick-me-up.

Copying and pasting a handout I use for work regarding acv:

Apple Cider Vinegar
Minerals and trace elements
Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Chlorine, Sodium, Sulfur, Copper, Iron, Silicon, Fluorine.

Vitamins
Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Provitamin beta-carotene, Vitamin P.

Useful in
Well functioning metabolism; Reducing cholesterol (the dangerous LDL cholesterol type); Regulating the water content in the cells and body; Reducing water retention in the body; Reducing excess sodium from the body; Helps with regulating blood pressure; Assists in preventing circulatory problems; Helps with diminishing premature calcification of the arteries; Helps increase concentration and memory; Assists in blood circulation, body temperature as well as vitality and energy.

Arthritis
This condition of inflammation of the joints is a major chronic disease in the West, and is believed to be partly caused by a build-up of toxic wastes in the tissues, causing irritation. It is thought that these metabolic toxic wastes can be contained by eliminating food allergies as well as unhealthy life styles such as smoking, not exercising and being over weight.
Arthritis suffers have reported a positive influence that apple cider vinegar has on the pain experienced as well as slowing down the progression of this disease. Most people using it as a therapy for this problem ingest it four times a day.

Blood pressure
The potassium in apple cider vinegar is said to be beneficial to both the heart and blood pressure, and in some quarters this remedy is said to assist in making the blood thinner, and thereby assisting with blood pressure and in the prevention of a stroke.

Bones
The manganese, magnesium, silicon (and calcium) found in apple cider vinegar has been linked in sustaining bone mass, which is important in the fight against osteoporosis.
A supplement of apple cider vinegar could for this reason be valuable to consider should you suffer from a calcium shortage, have a problem with osteoporosis, or if you are entering your postmenopausal stage, where a risk of bone loss could cause a problem.

Cholesterol
A good warning system for heart disease is the presence of high blood cholesterol in the system. To help prevent this is to follow a lifestyle which includes eating a diet high in fruits and vegetables, maintaining your ideal weight, getting enough exercise while avoiding processed foods, junk foods and hydrogenated oils.
Another way is to add fiber to your diet, especially water-soluble fiber - such as the pectin found in apple cider vinegar. Water-soluble fiber soaks up water, which adds bulk, and interacts with your body, and also keeps on working longer than non water-soluble fiber.
Fiber also soaks up fats and cholesterol in the body and then is excreted instead of being reabsorbed.
Non water-soluble fiber soaks up moisture in the body, but cannot interact with the body. The amino acids contained in apple cider vinegar have also shown promise in neutralizing some of the harmful oxidized LDL cholesterol.

Diabetes
This disease is becoming more and more common, and there may be various reasons for this phenomena, but it must be remembered that it is not only extremely serious, but needs proper medical supervision, and a strict adherence to dietary rules and medication, as prescribed by your medical practitioner. It is however interesting to note that added dietary fiber, such as contained in apple cider vinegar, is beneficial in controlling blood glucose levels.

Fatigue

Lactic acid is released in the body during exercise as well as periods of stress, and this can lead to fatigue, which in turn can be combated by the amino acids contained in apple cider vinegar. The enzymes, as well as the potassium contained in apple cider vinegar can also be of great help in the quest for more energy and vitality.

Heart
Since apple cider vinegar is used to promote the health of veins and capillaries, it is by implication also useful in assisting in the health of the heart and blood pressure. The potassium found in the apple cider vinegar is also beneficial to the heart.

Indigestion
When people start talking about indigestion they immediately start referring to the "excess" stomach acid that they have! In most cases it is NOT a case of an excess of stomach acid, but a shortage of it.
Hydrochloric acid and pepsin, an enzyme working in an acid environment, are needed to break down the food effectively, and a shortage of these two ingredients will lead to a sluggish digestion of food and resultant indigestion. Taking apple cider vinegar may assist in effecting a remedy.

Metabolism

The quest for achieving the ideal weight always will include effective and efficient metabolism. Without it, your dietary intake will not be metabolized correctly, the nutrients will not be available to the body, and will result in excess weight being added to the body frame.
Apple cider vinegar has been used for centuries in aiding the liver to detoxify the body and to help with digesting rich, fatty and greasy foods, and for proper metabolizing of proteins, fats and minerals. If the food cannot be broken down into the absorbable form, the body cannot assimilate the required nutrients needed from the diet.
An added extra to help with this is the malic acid and tartaric acid found in apple cider vinegar, since they help to bring the acid content into balance, while killing off unwanted and unfriendly bacteria in the digestive tract.

Muscles
Lactic acid in muscles is the cause of the muscles feeling sore and stiff, but by adding some apple cider vinegar to your diet, it could assist the body to get rid of it at a faster pace, since it will help to break down the acid crystals, making it much easier to be flushed out the body.

Stiff joints
A shortage of potassium in the body may cause stiff joints. Apple cider vinegar could help in relieving this problem when ingesting it, since it is a good source of the needed nutrient. Another remedy is to relax in a warm tub, with some apple cider vinegar added to the water.

Weight loss
Apple cider vinegar has been used as a weight loss remedy for centuries, and although the mechanics are not always clear on how it works, it really does work.
It has been suggested that the apple cider vinegar works because it makes the body burn calories better, that it reduces the appetite or simply that it gets the entire metabolism working at top efficiency.
But whatever the reason, the fact remains that it has stood the test of time as a fat-busting supplement, and has helped countless people to achieve their ideal weight.
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #32
LaDivina

How Do You Identify?:
Lady-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady-ones

Thanked 1,729 Times in 413 Posts
LaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST Reputation

I've made this spray, and they aren't kidding about the "tingle" the first few times. It actually stings. Unfortunately, my attention span is such that I haven't used it more than a couple nights in a row because I forget about it, so I can't say how well it works.

Now I have a container of magnesium chloride flakes and would be happy to send 1/2 c to anyone who wants it, but I don't know how they'd travel. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge-Smile View Post
Excerpted from: http://wellnessmama.com/5804/how-to-...magnesium-oil/

How To Make Your Own Magnesium Oil

[....]Every cell in the body needs magnesium in some way, and it is vital for bone, tooth, muscle, and joint health as well as for optimal sleep and stress reduction.

Deficiency of magnesium is widespread because many of us have lifestyle factors that actively deplete magnesium such as lack of sleep, excess stress, or alcohol/caffeine/sugar consumption. On top of that, many natural sources of magnesium are becoming depleted (such as the soil due to over-farming and high pesticide use) and water filtration systems remove much of the naturally occurring magnesium in water.

The ocean is still a wonderful source of magnesium and trace minerals, but for those of us who don’t have daily access to a beach, transdermal magnesium oil can be the easiest and most effective way to increase magnesium levels. I’ve recently seen some research that adequate magnesium can do everything from reduce stress to improve sleep and even eliminate morning sickness!
[....]

What you need:

1/2 cup Magnesium Chloride Flakes
1/2 cup distilled water
A glass bowl or glass measuring cup
A glass spray bottle (plastic will work too)
What to do:

Boil the distilled water. It is important to use distilled to extend the shelf life of the mixture. Put the Magnesium Chloride Flakes in the glass bowl or measuring cup and the pour the bowling water over it.

Stir well until completely dissolved. Let cool completely and store in the spray bottle. Can be stored at room temperature for at least six months. I keep in my bathroom to use daily.

To Use:

Spray on arms, legs, and stomach daily. I use 10-20 sprays per day. It will tingle on the skin the first few times it is used, and this is normal. It should fade after a few applications, but you can dilute with more water if it bothers you too much.

You can leave on the skin or wash off after 20-30 minutes. I usually apply after a shower and then use coconut oil or a lotion bar to moisturize about 5 minutes later.

As I sit here after yet another sleepless night, I've decided that I'm going to make this spray. I thought I would share with anyone else who might be interested in trying this. I like the idea of transdermal absorption rather than swallowing a pill. Just my preference; you may feel differently.
LaDivina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LaDivina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #33
Smiling

How Do You Identify?:
with a distinct flair

Thanked 4,382 Times in 1,009 Posts
Smiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Novelafemme,

I hope this will help answer your question. Just some basic stuff I quickly dug up, but similar to what I have come across in reading...

Would an addiction event be a very rare occurrence? Yes, of course; but anytime you are introducing a foreign substance into the body; natural or otherwise- especially one that works on chemical responses in the brain in a similar fashion as many pharmaceutical drugs - I think it is a good idea to just at least be aware of all the potential problems it may create.

Mentioning that Valerian can be (not "is;" small, but important distinction) addictive was just meant as a heads up and not to alarm anyone.

See below:

Scientists aren't sure how valerian works, but they believe it increases the amount of a chemical called gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain. GABA helps regulate nerve cells and has a calming effect on anxiety. Drugs such as alprazolam (Xanax) and diazepam (Valium) also work by increasing the amount of GABA in the brain. Researchers think valerian may have a similar, but weaker effect.
Source: Valerian | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed...#ixzz2r8jPkk19
University of Maryland Medical Center
Follow us: @UMMC on Twitter | MedCenter on Facebook

Source: http://csuvets.colostate.edu/pain/Ar...ian%20Root.pdf

Valerian has an affinity for GABA receptors, likely due to the relatively high GABA content in valerian itself. The amount of GABA present in valerian extract is sufficient to induce release of GABA in synaptosomes and may also inhibit GABA reuptake.

Valerian is used for insomnia and other disorders. Other believed mechanisms of action in valerian include inhibition of the catabolism of GABA by valerenolic acid and acetylvalerenolic acid and affinity for the 5-HTA receptor by another constituent of valerian, called hydroxy pinoresinol.

Valerian side effects may include addiction similar to that which occurs with drugs, reports Medline Plus. Valerian withdrawal has been noted in chronic users: confusion, delirium and rapid heartbeat. Another side effect of valerian use is a drug "hangover," reports Medline Plus.

Valerian has the potential for negative side effects on the heart and liver, according to Aetna Intelihealth. Liver toxicity has occurred with the use of herbal preparations that contain valerian, reports Medline Plus. Also, valerian may interact with anti-seizure medications.
Source: http://survivingantidepressants.org/...valerian-root/

[I could not locate the original Medline article containing these quotes, so I used excerpts from a discussion board; not the best source, but I'm not writing a paper, so bear with me]

Hitting submit before I lose this post again. My iPad keeps crashing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelafemme View Post
I am not sure where you got your information on Valerian Root being addictive, but as a former Health & Beauty Aids buyer for our local health food co-operative, this is news to me.

Valerian root is appropriate for those suffering from mild anxiety and sleeplessness related to menopause/hormonal fluctuations/depression, etc.

That being said, if you are on prescription meds for any of the above, there very well may be contraindicational information that you may want to look in to.

If you drink alcoholic beverages on a regular basis, Valerian can impact your liver/kidney function in a negative manner. When I was having daily panic attacks and taking large doses at night to help me sleep, I noticed a yellowing of my iris' which is an indicator that one's liver/kidneys are being compromised.

As with *any* supplement/additive, when taken for long periods of time, when suddenly discontinued, side-effects can be quite noticeable. Titrating is always the best method, unless otherwise directed by a doctor.

Last edited by Smiling; 01-22-2014 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Screen cap was incorrectly sourced. I corrected it.
Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Smiling For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #34
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Hi, Ms. Holistic Health Counselor (easygoingfemme)! I appreciate you being here.

What is the dosing one should take for the apple cider vinegar? Medusa mentioned one tablespoon two times per day, is that the recommended dose?

Miss Virgin Bride, I see you "thanking" around here and know you have lots to add. Tell us your favorite supplements/herbs for health!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #35
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,115 Times in 2,999 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Dapper: For a morning elixer drink (warm water, raw honey, lemon, acv) I usually recommend A pint of water with 1-2 Tbsp cider vinegar (two is fine, but can be too intense for some) with 1 tsp honey, 1-2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice. You can also add in some cayenne for extra kick.

I also find that, for those who enjoy the flavor, a little bit added to your water during the day can be really nice, and extra good for you.

So if you have low tolerance for the flavor, 1 tbsp a day, twice a day for best results.

Some people I work with who really don't like the flavor will do a shot glass of just the acv, honey, lemon, and a little water, and then chase it with a tall glass of warm water.
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #36
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you for sharing your information, Huge-Smile (I love your name BTW)!

While I am a big advocate of herbal medicine and Eastern medicine in general, since there is so little up to date research on the long term effects of many herbs, I am always a bit cautious. Especially when mixing them with prescription drugs.

Here at the University of Arizona we have the Center For Integrative Medicine, run by the one and only Dr. Andrew Weil. He implemented the program for reasons such as we are discussing; to dispel rumors and reinforce the positive components of holistic medicine and health. The program has really taken off!

I see him on campus every now and again. Homey needs to slim down a bit
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #37
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Angel * Femme * Lesbian * Girl * Woman * Slut * Bitch *
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
No longer a Virgin Bride to Dreamer ~ May 17th, 2014

Thanked 18,160 Times in 3,633 Posts
Julie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Here at the University of Arizona we have the Center For Integrative Medicine, run by the one and only Dr. Andrew Weil. He implemented the program for reasons such as we are discussing; to dispel rumors and reinforce the positive components of holistic medicine and health. The program has really taken off!

I see him on campus every now and again. Homey needs to slim down a bit
Wow.. I came in here to discuss homeopathic and alternatives medicines and the last statement I read was rather fat phobic. I wonder how the esteemed Dr. Andrew Weil would feel about this? I've had the honor of dining with him at a night of fine raw food's with mutual friends who are his colleagues. Oh, and homey to describe such a fine human being. Just lost on this whole last statement.

Feeling a bit disgusted

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps4d9fb6c0.jpg

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #38
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

I, too, have met with and spent time with Dr. Weil, and I know he has a wonderful sense of humor. As do I. He even joked with me about the time I caught him eating an entire pack of SmartDogs in the Tucson Co-Op parking lot.

No fat-phobia-ness intended and I'm sad you chose to take only that away from my post. Have a wonderful day, Julie!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #39
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Angel * Femme * Lesbian * Girl * Woman * Slut * Bitch *
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
No longer a Virgin Bride to Dreamer ~ May 17th, 2014

Thanked 18,160 Times in 3,633 Posts
Julie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
I, too, have met with and spent time with Dr. Weil, and I know he has a wonderful sense of humor. As do I. He even joked with me about the time I caught him eating an entire pack of SmartDogs in the Tucson Co-Op parking lot.

No fat-phobia-ness intended and I'm sad you chose to take only that away from my post. Have a wonderful day, Julie!
It is one thing to joke privately with your friend or the one in which the comment was intended. But to publicly speak about this fine gentleman in the way you did, was completely dishonorable and yes, quite fat-phobic. I wonder how he would feel knowing you made such public statements about him? All one has to do is google his name and the thread will be pulled up with your fat phobic comments. Call it what you will Novella, but often, without our even realizing we are doing it, we show our true-selves.

Julie

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps4d9fb6c0.jpg

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #40
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
It is one thing to joke privately with your friend or the one in which the comment was intended. But to publicly speak about this fine gentleman in the way you did, was completely dishonorable and yes, quite fat-phobic. I wonder how he would feel knowing you made such public statements about him? All one has to do is google his name and the thread will be pulled up with your fat phobic comments. Call it what you will Novella, but often, without our even realizing we are doing it, we show our true-selves.

Julie
I couldn't agree more about showing our true selves, Julie. I am all about living as authentically as I possibly can. Let's do this; how about the next time I see Dr. Weil I let him know that 1. I called him a homey on a queer website and 2. I joked publicly about his weight. Seeing as though I know for a fact he jokes very publicly about his own weight, I really, really doubt there will be a problem. And, just to show how authentic *I* am, I will even come in here and apologize if he feels my comment was inappropriate.

As for me, I kindly disagree with your assertion and your accusations. They have no impact on my integrity whatsoever. As I said before, Julie, have a lovely day.

I am looking forward to more dialogue about herbs and their use in everyone's lives.