Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Finding Your People - Special Groups

Finding Your People - Special Groups Are you a member of AA? Neurodiverse? a Vegan? Find your people here!

Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #101
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,056 Times in 2,077 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonK View Post
Errr... I will be having a conversation...signing...and a sign isn't recognized, so I look it up, and its BSL. Though I don't know a ton of it, the fact that they are randomly popping up, I wonder if I had some BSL when I was little and learning.

Interesting tidbit: the sign for disappoint in ASL is the same sign for cold in BSL.

Anyone else find that ironic?
That is interesting. I have no idea? I assume you were raised in the states, and I don't know anyone who can sign BSL fluently. ASL was derived from LSQ (French sign) so there isn't a connection there. I have no idea? Can you think of any of the signs you are using that are BSL?

Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #102
DamonK

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 7,762 Times in 1,881 Posts
DamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyes View Post
That is interesting. I have no idea? I assume you were raised in the states, and I don't know anyone who can sign BSL fluently. ASL was derived from LSQ (French sign) so there isn't a connection there. I have no idea? Can you think of any of the signs you are using that are BSL?
Born and raised in Texas.

Ummmmmm.... I'm struggling to remember the ASL sign.

In BSL, the sign for wild is middle finger pointed in (think signing an 8 but not touching thumb). Both hands. Start at middle of chest. Go up and out. Left hand then right hand. Almost simultaneously. It will look similar to an upside down j if you were drawing the letter in the air.

I'm not positive of the ASL sign for wild.
DamonK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DamonK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #103
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Born and raised in Texas.

Ummmmmm.... I'm struggling to remember the ASL sign.

In BSL, the sign for wild is middle finger pointed in (think signing an 8 but not touching thumb). Both hands. Start at middle of chest. Go up and out. Left hand then right hand. Almost simultaneously. It will look similar to an upside down j if you were drawing the letter in the air.

I'm not positive of the ASL sign for wild.
WILD is a loan sign in ASL. So, it is fingerspelled but in a unique way (hard to explain in writing) BANK, STYLE and EARLY are other examples of loan signs.

Some people also sign crazy with a W for wild.

The sign you are describing is EXCITED in ASL. So, it works in certian contexts. Like, DOG MINE, EXCITED (my dog is wild!!!)

Hope that helps!

Starry
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #104
DamonK

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 7,762 Times in 1,881 Posts
DamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyes View Post
WILD is a loan sign in ASL. So, it is fingerspelled but in a unique way (hard to explain in writing) BANK, STYLE and EARLY are other examples of loan signs.

Some people also sign crazy with a W for wild.

The sign you are describing is EXCITED in ASL. So, it works in certian contexts. Like, DOG MINE, EXCITED (my dog is wild!!!)

Hope that helps!
Ohhhhhhhh! I knew I recognized it. Just had no idea what it meant in ASL.

Much help!
DamonK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DamonK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #105
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Quote:
Ohhhhhhhh! I knew I recognized it. Just had no idea what it meant in ASL.

Much help!
No worries!! I have studied ASL linguistics for the past 10 years... Always happy to help

Starry
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #106
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,138 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

My stepmom sent me an email about a phone for the hearing impaired and I found it to be quite an interesting phone and free to acquire by sending off the proper paperwork to this company. I'll leave the link for those that want to check it out...leave some feedback here and tell me what you think.

https://www.captioncall.com/captioncall

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #107
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,730 Times in 5,087 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

I went with my school kids to see an interpreted Broadway performance of Annie today. It was such great fun!

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #108
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,138 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
I went with my school kids to see an interpreted Broadway performance of Annie today. It was such great fun!
I often watch YouTubes that are in ASL and enjoy them even though I don't know ASL...someday, I will and will enjoy them even more then.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #109
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Just watched this video tonight: What it's like to be Deaf. I recommend it.

How do I... ?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #110
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Here's a sweet youtube video of a young butch femme couple:

How do I... ?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #111
curlyredhead

How Do You Identify?:
Female to Male "Straight"
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Taken

curlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
Just watched this video tonight: What it's like to be Deaf. I recommend it.

Thanks for posting these videos, I watched them both. I must say I understand a lot of what was being talked about in this particular video. Now I am not deaf but I live in both hearing / deaf cultures. As I am getting older and I am losing my hearing steadily by the year. I am growing more and more frustrated in not being able to hear. It's a rude awakening for me, because a lot of what the deaf culture experiences on a daily basis I am starting to experience. I know what it's like to see closed caption for the first time, I think I saw it at a house I was baby sitting for at one point. I was a teenager, the mom was hard of hearing. But none of the TVs at my parents house had them, so the first tv I was around that did was in college due to the ADA laws for TVs to have them as of 1995. I need to learn to sign and really crack down on it because I think I am going to need it in the future.
curlyredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to curlyredhead For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #112
Scots_On_The_Rocks

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, them, theirs
Relationship Status:
Owned by a few cats, Loved by one woman, and Looked up to by one child.

Thanked 1,095 Times in 388 Posts
Scots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST Reputation

While I am not deaf, HOH or otherwise hearing-challenged; I work with non-verbal special needs children and also at one point was married to a woman with a deaf son, so through both experiences, I picked up enough sign language (ASL and ESL) to carry on intermediate level conversations. I find deaf culture quite interesting, so, figured I would pop in here and leave a few words, and hope to perhaps make some new connections with members of the community.
Scots_On_The_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scots_On_The_Rocks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #113
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,418 Times in 6,879 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots_On_The_Rocks View Post
While I am not deaf, HOH or otherwise hearing-challenged; I work with non-verbal special needs children and also at one point was married to a woman with a deaf son, so through both experiences, I picked up enough sign language (ASL and ESL) to carry on intermediate level conversations. I find deaf culture quite interesting, so, figured I would pop in here and leave a few words, and hope to perhaps make some new connections with members of the community.
That's an admirable profession!

I used to work with developmentally delayed adults. I have a VERY basic ASL vocabulary....I LOVE the sign for socks!
Old 09-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #114
Scots_On_The_Rocks

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, them, theirs
Relationship Status:
Owned by a few cats, Loved by one woman, and Looked up to by one child.

Thanked 1,095 Times in 388 Posts
Scots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl View Post
That's an admirable profession!

I used to work with developmentally delayed adults. I have a VERY basic ASL vocabulary....I LOVE the sign for socks!
Thanks, it is definitely a difficult job some days. And others, it is a blast. I must add that I also work with other branches of special needs kids such as deaf and HOH as well as EBD (emotional behaviour disorders).

Which makes me think of when one of my EBD kiddos was doing their best to pick up sign from one of my deaf kiddos....and their signing penis instead of pink.

So yeah, trying to clear up that what was meant was "I like pink.", not "I like penis.", took several days and quite a few guffaws.
Scots_On_The_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scots_On_The_Rocks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #115
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
must be love on the brain

Thanked 4,248 Times in 1,297 Posts
cricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputation
Default page 10 is my bro in law

http://issuu.com/clerccenter/docs/odyssey2013/1
cricket26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cricket26 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #116
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
must be love on the brain

Thanked 4,248 Times in 1,297 Posts
cricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputation
Default so happy i found this thread

cricket26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cricket26 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #117
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation
Default Sony Access glasses

Has anyone checked out the captioning options at movies lately? Because of my hearing, I rarely go to movies, but that may well change (the movie attendance, not my hearing). Regal theaters have a deal with Sony, who has developed these nifty little "access glasses" that show the captions ON the glasses lens. They appear on the lower part of the lens, where you'd look if you have bifocal lens…which works out well, because I do. And since the glasses fit over prescription glasses, I can actually read it.

Attempts at making movies accessible for the deaf and hearing-impaired have not exactly been satisfying: Eight years ago or so, theaters started offering headphones that amplified sound. All of the sound. It left me feeling only slightly less frustrated, and did nothing to improve my movie attendance.

Later, I tried open captioned movies, where the captions are on the film and visible to all. But hearing movie-goers don't like seeing the captions, so this option wasn't available for every showing. And really, it wasn't such a great option. I found myself struggling to read the white text when the background was white, because the captioners hadn't bothered to make sure the text was always readable. For all I know, there could be brilliant dialogue in Julie and Julia that I just wasn't able to read. Then again, perhaps not.

And then there's Rear Window. What a joke. After picking up this plexiglass contraption in the lobby, lugging it into the theatre and placing the base into the cup-holder (because apparently deaf people do not get thirsty and don't need their cup-holder for any other purpose), the real fun begins. The name of the game is "See If You Can Catch the Reflection of the Captions on Your Teleprompter and Still See the Movie", and it's a surprisingly difficult game. The teleprompter-like plexiglass is on an adjustable metal stem that creaks and groans every time you adjust it…which is often. And the sound goes straight in to the base, and the drink-holder, and reverberates in my chair, and the chairs of those next to me. I don't have to hear to know this thing is loud and annoying.

Plus, the captions are pretty small, and red, and usually in the right-hand side; to read them, I'd often miss what was happening on the left side of the screen. I've tried to readjust my screen during the movie, but was met with the stares of hearing theatre patrons who thought I was adjusting my teleprompter so I could give my acceptance speech for World's Most Annoying Movie-Goer.

But now--thank the heavens-- there are Sony Access glasses. The text appears in Hulk Green- a safe bet that I'll see it against any background…even against the Hulk himself, since the captions are lighted. Yet they don't distract. And best of all, they appear in whatever direction I look. When conversation is bouncing back and forth among people on the screen, I'm no longer scurrying to read the captions off to the side, and try to place who is saying them. I can more naturally follow the action on the screen. I saw The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, where the action does a lot of bouncing back and forth, and the captions were right there where I needed them.

I did notice that I tend to tilt my head a lot, as the captions often appeared at a 30 degree angle to the screen. But that was easily remedied, and hardly Sony's fault.

It turns out these caption glasses are also available in 3D, to spare me the ridiculousness of having to wear 3 pairs of glasses. I'm thinking of going to see the new Hobbit movie in 3D this weekend just to try them out. I'm actually excited about going to see movies in the theaters again. This is big news.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #118
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

They found out when I was a baby I had hearing issues so I got aids as soon as I could even tho I took them out more than used them.I wen't to therapist for several years to learn to speak without stuttering or sluring words,it helped a fair amount but when i'm tired or in a hurry things run together.Reading was all so hard cause I have vision issues as well.The doctors finely agreed it was because of me being very much a premmie plus at that time they used pure oxygen to help me breath for a long time,this was in 1947 when they had no clue it caused problems.All this caused me all kinds of trouble in school from understanding the teachers to kids giving me a hard time because of my deafness.It was strongly suggested to mom I go to special ed class's but she wouldn't do it cause she really thought main streaming was better.What it did was make me a target for every bully in school,so finely I beat the crap out of one of them then I was in the office getting punished for it.I told her and the princeaple what was going on..nothing was done with the exception of the lecture of not fighting in school.Walk away they said,easyr said than done as we all know.I lip read well plus I started als but never finished.Life has been an adventure for sure both good and bad..I just wonder what would have happened if I had gotten the right kine of help when I needed it?To far down the road now to try new things.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2014, 05:18 AM   #119
tiaras-and-books

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
in a relationship with someone wonderful. :)

tiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputation

I took two years of college ASL just because I'd always been interested in it. I loved it, and secretly found it easier on my brain than spoken communication, even though it was a second language. Partway through my second year I was diagnosed with an auditory processing disorder. No wonder I feel like ASL conversations are a little easier for me - they ARE.
I joke often that if I could magically make everyone able to sign, or if that Google Glass project would work on developing captioning for everyday life, I'd have it made.
tiaras-and-books is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiaras-and-books For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #120
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

I prefer signing to speaking too.

If you don't mind, could you describe more about what an auditory processing disorder is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaras-and-books View Post
I took two years of college ASL just because I'd always been interested in it. I loved it, and secretly found it easier on my brain than spoken communication, even though it was a second language. Partway through my second year I was diagnosed with an auditory processing disorder. No wonder I feel like ASL conversations are a little easier for me - they ARE.
I joke often that if I could magically make everyone able to sign, or if that Google Glass project would work on developing captioning for everyday life, I'd have it made.

How do I... ?