Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
vagina
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian

vagina Has the BEST Reputationvagina Has the BEST Reputationvagina Has the BEST Reputationvagina Has the BEST Reputationvagina Has the BEST Reputationvagina Has the BEST Reputationvagina Has the BEST Reputationvagina Has the BEST Reputationvagina Has the BEST Reputationvagina Has the BEST Reputationvagina Has the BEST Reputation
Default Women in Science

How many of you like science? I know for sure I do, otherwise I probably wouldn't have a career as a Science Professor.

During my PhD days, I noticed the difference between the old school and new school education. The new school education encourages women to be scientists and in fact more than half of my graduate school cohort was women. Because let's face it, women are brilliant.

As a female scientist I have been discriminated against on many occasions. On several occasions being told by the male advisor to clean up messes made by a male student in my lab. On another occasion having a male professor disrupt my class to flirt with me and embarrass me. These kinds of behaviors are overlooked in science because it is still a man's sport. However women scientists have existed prior and continue to grow in numbers.

So, here's a thread dedicated to all the women that struggle in the fields of Math and Science and yet continue to bring us the beautiful gift of knowledge.

The first entry is dedicated to Maryam Mirzakhani of Stanford University, California, the first woman to receive the Nobel Prize in Mathematics. And speaking of new scientists, this article is from newscientist.com

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.U_44dygRjao

Iranian woman wins maths' top prize, the Fields medal

20:32 12 August 2014 by Dana Mackenzie
A woman has won the maths world's "Nobel prize" for the first time. Maryam Mirzakhani of Stanford University, California, will receive the Fields medal tomorrow at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Seoul, South Korea.

The medal is awarded once every four years to at most four recipients, who must be aged under 40 at the start of that year. All the previous 52 Fields medallists, dating back to 1936, have been male.

Mirzakhani, who is Iranian, studies the geometry of moduli space, a complex geometric and algebraic entity that might be described as a universe in which every point is itself a universe. Mirzakhani described the number of ways a beam of light can travel a closed loop in a two-dimensional universe. To answer the question, it turns out, you cannot just stay in your "home" universe – you have to understand how to navigate the entire multiverse. Mirzakhani has shown mathematicians new ways to navigate these spaces.

Mirzakhani first attracted international attention as a high-school student in 1995, when she was the first Iranian student to achieve a perfect score in the International Mathematics Olympiad.

"She is very, very well known in Iran, where she is held out as an example for younger students," says Ingrid Daubechies, the president of the International Mathematical Union, which selects the Fields medallists.

"Speaking as a woman myself, it is a wonderful thing to see her win," Daubechies adds. "It will lay to rest the often-quoted fact that a woman has never won." In future, she says, the idea of a woman winning the top maths award will no longer seem exceptional.

The three other winners are Brazilian-born Artur Avila of Denis Diderot University in Paris, France, who studies how chaotic systems evolve when constrained by certain rules; Manjul Bhargava, a number theorist at Princeton University; and Martin Hairer, an expert in partial differential equations at the University of Warwick, UK.
vagina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to vagina For This Useful Post:

Tags
education, knowledge, math, science, women