Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Breakups, Lessons Learned, Healing

Breakups, Lessons Learned, Healing PLEASE do not use this forum for ugliness or nasty posts.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #41
Hack
Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort

Thanked 3,784 Times in 960 Posts
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting topic. I was just discussing friendships with someone last night.

I keep a very tight, small circle of close friends. All of whom I have known for more than 10 years. I know a lot of people because of the business I have been in for 20+ years now, but there are only a handful of people in my life who I know undoubtedly I can count on, who can count on me and who get me.

I like to think I do what is called preventative friendship. I am quite choosy 99 percent of the time with whom I spend my time with. I really don't befriend people who I think I are going to be drama-queens, emotional messes or who are just simply going to exhaust me. As I age, I notice more and more I am very stingy with my time. I really like to focus it on the people who mean a great deal to me.

Maybe this makes me a prick of sorts. Frankly, I don't care. My time is valuable, and how I spend it is completely up to me. As it should be.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #42
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,619 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

when I am toxic and not healthy, I hold grudges. Mainly because of resentments.And anyone in the Program know what resentments do to a person's serenity.

I am doing well lately and therefore havent held a grudge in a long time. I have however, let go of friendships, but again, mainly for my serenity. I have boundaries and I dont do well when people consistently push or cross them. I had to let a dear butch friend go last year because she wouldnt take no for an answer in regard to romance. After exhausting every damn effort I had in me, I finally had to say I couldnt be friends with her. I miss her. We had fun together but I just cant have someone not respecting me.

I have had to tap dance around someone as well. Its awkward and I hated it but I did it because it was MY space too. I handled it simply by going about my business and refusing to discuss any part of or anyone involved with the situation,saying gossip ends with me. I earned respect by doing so. It took time but eventually, as things always do, life moved on...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #43
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post

Have you ever held a grudge?

Yes, I occasionally hold grudges and, when I do, I hold them deep. I am incredibly close to my immediate family (parents + brother) but cut off contact with my father's family following my grandmother's funeral in early 1997. Positive interaction was resumed earlier this year at the funeral of my aunt because enough time had passed and I'd moved on .... but cutting off contact for fourteen years felt right at the time and, in the same situation again, I'd likely make the same decision.

Quote:

Ever had to let a friend go because they were toxic?

I've often let go of friends, some of whom were toxic but many who were not. I think that people and friendships are there for a purpose but it's not always an everlasting one ... sometimes it's good or necessary to move on.

Quote:

Ever had to tap dance around someone because they were in your circle of friends somehow?

Sometimes I'd like to be able to do this but it's just not my style. If I'm not enthused by someone, I find it hard to hide.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #44
oblivia
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married, treasured, and adored

Thanked 1,430 Times in 359 Posts
oblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
So what do you think? Have you ever held a grudge? Ever had to let a friend go because they were toxic? Ever had to tap dance around someone because they were in your circle of friends somehow?

How do you do it gracefully? How do you do it without turning it into a community/family/friends free-for-all?
First of all - great topic.

Secondly, I've really struggled with the loss of friendships and relationships over the last five to ten years.

I fully own that my biggest problem in this time-frame has been the lack of discernment in forging friendships and relationships in the first place. For the longest time I was so shy and had such low self-esteem that if anyone wanted to be my friend - for any reason - I would accept them with open arms into my life.

In addition to this low self-esteem lack of discernment, I also have difficulty creating personal barriers in how much of me I share with people. I am not very good at being selective about what I share. I like to feel I can be 100% myself with people and I almost feel like I'm lying when I am not fully disclosing. I know that's also something that needs working on but then again - maybe not. I like being authentic. I like being myself.

So anyway - this has led to a big-time recipe for disaster. When I was in my teens and early to mid twenties - anyone who wanted to be my friend would be. I would also fully be myself. Be fully trusting. And just naively assume that everyone had my back. Not so much. As you can imagine - I put a lot of trust into a lot of people that didn't necessarily deserve it, or who weren't prepared or interested in the type of friendship I offered.

The result was that I ended up with a whole lot of friends, only a few of them very close, but none of those relationships had any clear cut boundaries from my side.

And then I started to grow up.

I started to gain some self-esteem.

I started to notice all the ways I was used, abused, taken for granted, manipulated, tread on. .... all of them, I had some culpability in for I allowed these relationships to develop this way by my own complacency and lack of boundaries. I was a free-for-all kinda friend. I was a yes-girl. I said no, to no one. I felt guilty if I put myself first in anything.... so these relationships developed under these rules.

When I noticed this was bad.... unhealthy.... that the relationships were unbalanced or unhealthy... and began standing up for myself and setting boundaries - naturally many people were shocked. They felt like I changed the rules on them. They didn't understand why last week this behaviour was acceptable and this week it wasn't. They didn't see that my personal growth meant the rules had to change.

Was it fair to them? Maybe not. But it was still necessary. And in this process, that lasted at least five years, I lost almost all of my friends.

In hindsight, many of these people were never good for me. They never had my best interests at heart. They were not there for me. They appreciated or enjoyed what I had to offer - and offered little (if anything) in return.

But do I hate them? No. I just wasn't the person that I was when the relationships/friendships began. No one's fault, necessarily.

It really got hard for a while. I was letting go way more friendships than I was acquiring. My social schedule got really empty. I didn't have a bunch of people to call on to go do stuff with whenever.... but ... the very small selection of folks that were left - were healthy. They were good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post
It's funny how when we become self empowering, certain people drift away.
This pretty much describes, in a nutshell, my experience with friendships over the last decade. I have more self-esteem, more self-empowerment, and more self-love than I ever had before and many, many people surrounding me didn't like me now that I wasn't their Yes Girl anymore. This was hard. It was difficult for me to accept - but I did... and I learned from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyOne View Post
I have learned over many years and plenty hard knocks, family isn't always made up of blood relatives
As part of my personal growth process, and facing relationships that were toxic to me, I have had to come to terms with the unhealthy, unbalanced, power-over relationships from within my family.

I have a very firm no-contact boundary with my older Sister, right now. And limited contact with both of my parents.

This is REALLY hard for me, as I was raised to believe blood family comes first no matter what.

I have learned, that it is OKAY that I do not want my older sister in my life, or my parents. I love them. But they are bad for me. They hurt me. They abuse me. They take advantage of me. They trigger unhealthy behaviour in me. And it's okay that even though we are related by blood - that I do not want to allow them access to continue to do so.

I focus very heavily on chosen family, now. I have a supportive and loving butch Wife, two amazing adult step-children, an Unka, and a very select few close friends. And that is my Family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkieLee View Post
Most of my adult life, I've lived by the saying that people come into our lives for a reason, a season or a lifetime. Each person and/or relationship is meant to teach a lesson, for one if not both of us.
A friend of mine once gave me a beautiful analogy that really helped me when I was struggling with all the losses of people I thought were friends during my big growth spurt....

She said that it's like we're all climbing a mountain. Each of us is making our way up the mountain in the way that we choose. Some of us choose easier, slower, winding paths. Some choose steeper. Some move quickly, some slowly, etc. People make choices along the way to pause and rest for a while.... or even to go back down the mountain. The mountain, in essence is our personal growth. Now, throughout our trek up the mountain, we meet up with other people. We end up on the same path, sometimes for a short time, sometimes longer. But when the people we're travelling with decide to pause, or take a different path - what should we do? Is it fair to them, to ignore what they are choosing and "drag" them along with us because we don't want to let them go? Similarly, is it fair to ourselves to pause or take THEIR path just so we are not lonely? No. The kind thing to do - the healthy thing to do - is to allow them their path, and honour our own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Interesting topic. I was just discussing friendships with someone last night.

I keep a very tight, small circle of close friends. All of whom I have known for more than 10 years. I know a lot of people because of the business I have been in for 20+ years now, but there are only a handful of people in my life who I know undoubtedly I can count on, who can count on me and who get me.

I like to think I do what is called preventative friendship. I am quite choosy 99 percent of the time with whom I spend my time with. I really don't befriend people who I think I are going to be drama-queens, emotional messes or who are just simply going to exhaust me. As I age, I notice more and more I am very stingy with my time. I really like to focus it on the people who mean a great deal to me.

Maybe this makes me a prick of sorts. Frankly, I don't care. My time is valuable, and how I spend it is completely up to me. As it should be.
I am with you.

I now find it very difficult to really make friends. I have a very specific expectation for people I allow to get very close. I need to trust them in a way that is hard to describe. I need to trust them with the authentic me. And the authentic me is vulnerable - and sometimes struggles with boundaries. I'm getting better at boundaries, but this does require me to be very, very selective... because I choose NOT to repeat the pattern of my early twenties - where I let everyone in and let them walk all over me only to realize later that I'd helped create an unhealthy friendship. Now I don't begin one, unless I am relatively certain that it will be healthy. I tread carefully. I feel it out. And if it looks like I'm having issues with boundaries, or things are not being reciprocal... I back out before we get attached to each other.

I don't think I'm guarded. I'm just very, very choosy!

~*~*~*~*~

One interesting thing I experienced recently was a friendship break-up.

One of my very best friends and I were at an impasse. I was having big issues with her partner. I felt her partner was abusing her. She claimed to be happy and healthy. And, I knew, that it was technically none of my business.... but I also knew I couldn't spend time around him. His treatment of her was very upsetting and triggery to me - no matter how much she seemed to like/be okay with it. And so, I contacted her and made a date to sit down over coffee and own up to it.

All things considered, the conversation went well. She was obviously offended and hurt that I felt she was in a toxic relationship - when she feels she is in the best relationship she's ever been in, and hurt that with all we have in common (her and I) that I couldn't understand that she was happy. I let her know that I completely understood - and owned that maybe it was "just me" but I just couldn't seem to get over it. We discussed what our options were. For myself, I'd hoped maybe we could have a friendship but not hang out as couples.... but that didn't seem to be an option for her... and I had to respect that. We spoke kindly and lovingly to each other, even through the confusion and the inevitable hurt. And we essentially decided to end the friendship. Together. We sat over our coffee/tea and told each other we wished each other well and that it was sad to let each other go but that it was time. We even discussed going home and immediately unfriending each other on Facebook so as to not have any lingering weirdness while we each processed our feelings about it - and so that we could have space to grieve/vent whatever.

We basically "broke up".

This was the healthiest and most positive end to a friendship I've ever had. It was devastatingly sad. But it was healthy and loving. We had insurmountable differences. And we treated it as a loving couple might. These were things that we individually felt were out of our control. And we joked, while we chatted, that this is how friendships should end... that we should be able to sit down and tell each other "hey, it's been great, but it's not working now" the same way that we are expected to do with lovers.

So often, friendships either implode with a dramatic fight or end, or they just quietly drift with one or both parties always wondering what happened.

This experience, ending this friendship, was painful - but I am so grateful.... because I was able to walk away peacefully, knowing that we had been honest with one another, and both made the decision that felt right to us.
oblivia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oblivia For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #45
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Y'all so inspire me.

I love the idea of being stingy with my time and energy. Hack, that just makes so much sense to me.

Oblivia, hugs. I can't even begin to fathom how painful that meeting must have been for the both of you.

Ciaran, hugs to you for being brave enough to disconnect from blood relatives because it was healthy for you.

To everyone who has taken the time to post here, please know that I am learning and growing from each of you. I still feel very sad about this distance that I've had to create and maintain but I do know it's healthier this way.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #46
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Ciaran, hugs to you for being brave enough to disconnect from blood relatives because it was healthy for you.
Arwen - it wasn't healthy for me. The only healthy aspect was the reconciliation process.. Fourteen years is too long to hold a grudge - I know that to my pain / shame :-)

I'll make it up to my family in the long run.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #47
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I've held a grudge and I've let folks go. It depends on the situation as to which method is used.

Holding a grudge requires more energy and time then just letting someone go. When I let them go, I've dwelled on it and have come to the conclusion that it's best that I don't associate with them any longer. Like a thread being cut...snip....they are gone and I rarely give them the mental energy of thinking about them.

Grudges require mental maintenance and are usually short term for me. I get annoyed with keeping the fires stoked and will usually cut them out too, after I hit my snipping point. Whenever and wherever that is for them marks the end of the road for us as a unit, be it friends or lovers or family.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #48
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

On the topic of letting go or hanging on, there was a post on Oprah.com today.

What do y'all think of this?

http://www.oprah.com/oprahs-lifeclas...to-Let-Go-Of_1
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #49
Vlasta
BFP Sentinels

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 1,002 Times in 286 Posts
Vlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST Reputation

I cleaned my house of so called" friends" when I found out all the betrayal . I have very few friends now , but I am more happy . The relationships that I have are sincere not deceptive which I was so naive before to the point I was there for them financially , supportive and just being true friend .

A friends while they are giggling in your face and the same time they stab you in back have no place in my life .

Please go away if your only interest is you , jealousy and deception .
Vlasta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vlasta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #50
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Quote:
On the topic of letting go or hanging on, there was a post on Oprah.com today.

What do y'all think of this?

http://www.oprah.com/oprahs-lifeclas...to-Let-Go-Of_1
I'm not an Oprah fan but I do strongly agree that there are often very good reasons for hanging on to things or people that may make us uncomfortable or uneasy or that we just don't like.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #51
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,308 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation

Stumbled into here for the first time.

Arwen. I want to tell you "thanks" for the topic.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
community, friendship, hula hoop, love, toxic people