Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Thanked 1,584 Times in 622 Posts
SassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST Reputation
Default Tattoos and Piercings in the Workplace

I want to talk about piercings / tattoos and what you think is appropriate work attire and appearance in the workplace.

I work for a large healthcare organization in HR in one of the Administrative buildings. We frequently have staff from medical or dental clinics come to our building to pick up paperwork or attend meetings.

A few weeks ago, a woman in scrubs arrived at the reception area to pick up a check. She was a Medical Assistant (the person who talks with you before the doctor comes in – takes your BP, gets your medical info, etc)

She had a nose ring, an eyebrow piercing and lip ring.

I have to admit, as progressive as I think I am…I had some serious judgment about her appearance.

So I had a discussion with Erin about this. I told her that I feel like when someone is in a medical/clinic environment, appearance should be as “clean” as possible. Of course, how can I know how clean someone keeps their piercings? And is that a fair judgment? Then we talked about tattoos. Does that hold the same feeling? For me, no…because after tattoos are healed, they are really unlikely to get infected. But is it really about the cleanliness factor or the “clean” appearance? How would you feel about someone with tattoos or piercings working in your Dr’s office and potentially treating you?

I have an acquaintance who also works at my company…she has almost full sleeve tattoos. She works in a more “suited” environment and wears long sleeves every day. Even when it is really hot outside!

I have several tattoos, but I have always been careful about where they are placed on my body…because I have no idea what kinds of jobs I will have in the future and I wouldn’t want them to prevent me from obtaining a job.

In Portland, it is pretty liberal and casual, in terms of what companies expect (in general)…but we are like a bubble, in many ways. Especially when I compare to other states I have been (mainly the South).

I believe that there is appropriate attire for the workplace, especially in healthcare. Now if I worked in a clothing shop or tattoo shop or a creative type company… I’m sure I would have a VERY different feeling. So is it about the industry?

Erin says that we as a society need to progress, to be more accepting and progressive about what is considered a professional appearance. Or what is considered “OK” attire for an office. If someone is great at their job and/or highly regarded, what should it matter if they have tattoos or piercings?

So what do you think?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SassyLeo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

I often end up facing some pretty conservative types and have at least one visible tattoo (back of my neck) and my eyebrow piercing visible. Never had a complaint and if anything, it's created a great conversation piece.

Piercings are similar to tattoos in that once, healed they should be fine. If you have pierced ears, are they not clean and healed? (serious question)

As for health care, I'd be fine. I'm there for their knowledge and compassion -- not their looks. I've met some who have no tattoos or piercing and are worse in their behaviour/hygiene than those with.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Isadora

How Do You Identify?:
Momma, Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
I am in love. Truly Madly Deeply

Thanked 2,128 Times in 560 Posts
Isadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST Reputation

How people decorate their bodies is their own personal work of art is great. I remember telling Hawk once after hy had a conversation with someone with piercings all over her face to not look at the piercings and make judgments but to look at her eyes and listen to her. Then you can decide how professional she is or is not....

Believe me it is not just tatts and piercings..I have been told how I look (being zaftig) I would not be taken seriously as a professional. Ha!

Read me! www.leatherati.com
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Isadora For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Well Sassyleo I am a medical assistant and have no visible piercings except for the ears and no tattoos. The lady I'm doing my internship for is very conservative so is the practice. Its family medicine and geriatrics so I guess that the medical assistant doesn't care about her piercings or her job would be in jeopardy!! I for one am not going to get tatted or pierced in the future because I don't know what kind of job the future holds for me.
lipstixgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lipstixgal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
MrSunshine

How Do You Identify?:
The Gardner
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ummmm
Relationship Status:
Nah

23 Highscores

Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,154 Posts
MrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST Reputation

I don't want a surgeon with "KILLA" across their knuckles but other than that I could care less.
One of the girls that runs a primary care unit at a V.A I go to is covered in both. I think it's hot. But most of all she rocks at her job.
MrSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrSunshine For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

I wanted to add in one other thought: it may also depend on the kind of tattoo it is. Fairies, flags, plants, religious icons, etc. tend to be ok. More violent (e.g., swearing, killing, skulls, etc.) and/or "nekkid" tattoos in particular would probably cause some "backlash".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
SassyLeo
Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

SassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I often end up facing some pretty conservative types and have at least one visible tattoo (back of my neck) and my eyebrow piercing visible. Never had a complaint and if anything, it's created a great conversation piece.

Piercings are similar to tattoos in that once, healed they should be fine. If you have pierced ears, are they not clean and healed? (serious question)

As for health care, I'd be fine. I'm there for their knowledge and compassion -- not their looks. I've met some who have no tattoos or piercing and are worse in their behaviour/hygiene than those with.
Erin has visible tattoos and a nose ring...she also works in IT. And in her work environment, she also gets to wear shorts and t-shirts everyday. Do you think that IT has a different concept about these things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
How people decorate their bodies is their own personal work of art is great. I remember telling Hawk once after hy had a conversation with someone with piercings all over her face to not look at the piercings and make judgments but to look at her eyes and listen to her. Then you can decide how professional she is or is not....

Believe me it is not just tatts and piercings..I have been told how I look (being zaftig) I would not be taken seriously as a professional. Ha!

Isa- thanks for both comments. You always have great wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstixgal View Post
Well Sassyleo I am a medical assistant and have no visible piercings except for the ears and no tattoos. The lady I'm doing my internship for is very conservative so is the practice. Its family medicine and geriatrics so I guess that the medical assistant doesn't care about her piercings or her job would be in jeopardy!! I for one am not going to get tatted or pierced in the future because I don't know what kind of job the future holds for me.
Yes, I thought about that. I mean, we hired the person, piercings and all. We must have liked her enough to hire her. And she wouldn't have a job if we got complaints.

Good thoughts. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
SassyLeo
Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSunshine View Post
I don't want a surgeon with "KILLA" across their knuckles but other than that I could care less.
One of the girls that runs a primary care unit at a V.A I go to is covered in both. I think it's hot. But most of all she rocks at her job.
HA! Killa! I might agree on that point.

I think tattoos are hot as well! And it is interesting that I have less judgment about them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I wanted to add in one other thought: it may also depend on the kind of tattoo it is. Fairies, flags, plants, religious icons, etc. tend to be ok. More violent (e.g., swearing, killing, skulls, etc.) and/or "nekkid" tattoos in particular would probably cause some "backlash".
I would hope we wouldn't hire a nurse with a racist (or sexist, etc) tattoos, but who knows. I mean, RN's are in SUPER demand right now. I guess if they can be covered up and the person is willing to?

That brings up a good point... would folks be more offended or have more judgment if the tattoos were seriously gross or offensive?
Old 07-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyLeo View Post
Erin has visible tattoos and a nose ring...she also works in IT. And in her work environment, she also gets to wear shorts and t-shirts everyday. Do you think that IT has a different concept about these things?
Some parts of IT, yes. Parts that are not customer facing don't really care. They are more interested in ability than looks (the old BOFH was not know for hygiene or fashion sense).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Waldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST Reputation

My first thought was "how is a nose piercing any less clean/healed than an ear piercing"?

There is a strata. And it's stupid. Sorry Sassy. I hear that it's your gut reaction and I'm not trying to jump down your throat for it.

My feeling on the notion is as follows and this is from someone who's both been there and done that:

I no longer care to work for any company who places value judgements about their employees or potential employees based on physical appearance.

Know why? Cause it doesn't stop at tattoos and piercings.

It doesn't stop at fat
It doesn't stop at fey appearing
It doesn't stop at butch appearing
It doesn't stop at balding
It doesn't stop at short
It doesn't stop at women
It doesn't stop at latino/a
It doesn't stop at black
It doesn't stop.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
chefhottie25

How Do You Identify?:
boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy
Relationship Status:
happily taken

chefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I want to talk about piercings / tattoos and what you think is appropriate work attire and appearance in the workplace.

I work for a large healthcare organization in HR in one of the Administrative buildings. We frequently have staff from medical or dental clinics come to our building to pick up paperwork or attend meetings.

A few weeks ago, a woman in scrubs arrived at the reception area to pick up a check. She was a Medical Assistant (the person who talks with you before the doctor comes in – takes your BP, gets your medical info, etc)

She had a nose ring, an eyebrow piercing and lip ring.

I have to admit, as progressive as I think I am…I had some serious judgment about her appearance.

So I had a discussion with Erin about this. I told her that I feel like when someone is in a medical/clinic environment, appearance should be as “clean” as possible. Of course, how can I know how clean someone keeps their piercings? And is that a fair judgment? Then we talked about tattoos. Does that hold the same feeling? For me, no…because after tattoos are healed, they are really unlikely to get infected. But is it really about the cleanliness factor or the “clean” appearance? How would you feel about someone with tattoos or piercings working in your Dr’s office and potentially treating you?

I have an acquaintance who also works at my company…she has almost full sleeve tattoos. She works in a more “suited” environment and wears long sleeves every day. Even when it is really hot outside!

I have several tattoos, but I have always been careful about where they are placed on my body…because I have no idea what kinds of jobs I will have in the future and I wouldn’t want them to prevent me from obtaining a job.

In Portland, it is pretty liberal and casual, in terms of what companies expect (in general)…but we are like a bubble, in many ways. Especially when I compare to other states I have been (mainly the South).

I believe that there is appropriate attire for the workplace, especially in healthcare. Now if I worked in a clothing shop or tattoo shop or a creative type company… I’m sure I would have a VERY different feeling. So is it about the industry?

Erin says that we as a society need to progress, to be more accepting and progressive about what is considered a professional appearance. Or what is considered “OK” attire for an office. If someone is great at their job and/or highly regarded, what should it matter if they have tattoos or piercings?

So what do you think?

I tend to agree with you here. Some work enviroments should be more professional. I work in a kitchen...so tattos are acceptable. If we are in view of the guest we have to cover our tattos. I don't know how I feel about piercings in a work space that is handling food. I know that is not very progressive of me...and I don't know why I have this opinion about piercings. I hoping that someone here will enlighten or proselytize me about my view on the issue.
chefhottie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chefhottie25 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
SassyLeo
Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
My first thought was "how is a nose piercing any less clean/healed than an ear piercing"?

There is a strata. And it's stupid. Sorry Sassy. I hear that it's your gut reaction and I'm not trying to jump down your throat for it.

My feeling on the notion is as follows and this is from someone who's both been there and done that:

I no longer care to work for any company who places value judgements about their employees or potential employees based on physical appearance.

Know why? Cause it doesn't stop at tattoos and piercings.

It doesn't stop at fat
It doesn't stop at fey appearing
It doesn't stop at butch appearing
It doesn't stop at balding
It doesn't stop at short
It doesn't stop at women
It doesn't stop at latino/a
It doesn't stop at black
It doesn't stop.
Thankfully I know you well enough to know you are not jumping down my throat . And I get your point.

I'm still trying to figure out where my feelings on this stem from...because I also have feelings about general appearance in the workplace, not necessarily related to tattoos and piercings. Like, we have a woman here who, despite consistent reminders about the company policy, wears flip flops to work (the cheap kind you buy at Old Navy for $2- which I also own but do not wear to work...) I personally think it is unprofessional, given the kind of work she does...
Old 07-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #13
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Waldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Thankfully I know you well enough to know you are not jumping down my throat . And I get your point.

I'm still trying to figure out where my feelings on this stem from...because I also have feelings about general appearance in the workplace, not necessarily related to tattoos and piercings. Like, we have a woman here who, despite consistent reminders about the company policy, wears flip flops to work (the cheap kind you buy at Old Navy for $2- which I also own but do not wear to work...) I personally think it is unprofessional, given the kind of work she does...
Yeah, see there's the difference for me. Physical appearance versus accessories.

Shoes? easy peasy to change.

Tattoos and piercings? Easy to cover up most.

Clothing? Easy.

Jewelry? Easy.

Of course none of it is easy if leadership is afraid to enforce the rules it made.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
sweetfemme247

How Do You Identify?:
fem
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme, she, her, baby, sweetie
Relationship Status:
holding my heart close and putting back up a wall

sweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputation

I work in a wear house so i can wear what i want and i can have tattoos

Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present.
Jim Rohn
sweetfemme247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:04 AM   #15
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I currently live in the PNW but was born in the South. I've also always worked in customer service industries. These things together have molded my views of tats and piercings in the professional and public arenas, which is basically HAVE them but don't SHOW them.

Here's my personal experience:

I work for a hotel. We are situated in a military town. During months with higher turnovers, it is reasonable that I will come into contact with well over 25,000 people. These would just be those *I* came into contact with, no more than 8 hours a day for a month or so. These would be folks who are enlisted, officers, transients, corporate hounds, families and/or civilian contractors. They could be from Kentucky or Japan or Virginia or Hawaii (and have been, within the same hour, no less).

Each region and each culture has its own views on public displays of private choices. Some are obviously more conservative. Some are more progressive.

The hotel once hired a woman who was covered in tats. They started on her upper neck and were visible on her chest and arms and one thigh. First of all, she wore clothing that was too revealing or a number of those tats would not have been seen. Second, we lost business because of her. We lost a $15-20,000 stay with one of our long time contractors. He walked in and was horrified by her appearance and cancelled his reservations on the spot. Actually, I was too, but not just because she had so many tats (some of which were inappropriate...sexually aggressive, I'll call them), but because of her work ethic and resistance to the rules of the house (having nothing to do with the tats...she had authority issues).

Anyway, back to the contractor....as I mentioned, we had a strong relationship with him as he and his men had been coming to us for about 6 years. We couldn't get him back in until after she was fired (the tats were not the focus of her termination, for the record), during which we lost more than $60,000 in revenue from his company for all the stays he would have stayed with us.

If it seems as if I didn't care for this person, that would be correct. There were conflicts between her and every other clerk, management and most of the housekeepers. Perhaps my views of her taint how I view the tat situation. Perhaps I resent her for contributing to a very difficult time with the hotel (hours cut due to lost business, fostering poor relations within the Front Desk clerks...etc). Perhaps.

I feel similarly about our current maintenance assistant. He has tats on his arms, which is no biggie to me, as they can be covered and sometimes he does. But the piercings get me. I really wish he'd put in silver or clear diddly bobs instead of black. He has several piercings and the dark blobs and dots makes his face look dirty. If he did a fabulous job, I might not *see* the piercings as much but he doesn't. He is a lazy and a bum who would rather work less so he can collect more on his unemployment. He's also toked on the property.

Maybe I just need to find a job where my coworkers are good workers who just happen to have tats and/or piercings. Or maybe where the bosses have balls.

Anyway, that's how I see it. It's not very progressive of me, I suppose, but I have to put myself in the place of the guest who may be coming to us for the first time. They want to see a professional appearance. That doesn't mean I can't have tats (which I do), just that I need to present "cleanly", especially in an environment that they are going to sleep and eat in. This includes hair being pulled back and no dangly jewelry as well.

My ex husband works in IT and they give him a lot of leeway for his fro. *grin* He is a red-headed half Italian, half Puerto Rican man that looks like a nice Jewish boy. The last time I saw him, it was pretty wild. That's in central Florida, the retirement capitol of the world, so they tend to be pretty conservative. Granted, hair is not the same as tats or piercings, but he'd probably be able to get away with those too since he totally kicks ass at his job.

I definitely think that ability plays into jobs that are less forward-facing more than appearance and appearance plays a more important role in jobs that have more face to face interactions with guests/customers/clients/etc.

I'm misunderestimated.

Last edited by Gemme; 07-15-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

So what do you think?
I agree with the above. To me your appearance has absolutely nothing to do with how you do your job. Obviously if you're working in a hospital you want to be hygenic (hygene is always important unless you're a student and its exam time ) because you don't want to risk infecting anyone/getting infected. However, beyond general hygene (which, to me, has little to do with physical appearance) it shouldn't matter what a person looks like. Thoreau was right when he said that a man can walk into town with a patch on the knee of his pants and be looked down upon. That attitude still exists today, and is something that should change in my opinion. Someone can be dressed up to the nines and be completely incompetent and be given a job solely based on appearance, while someone with a mohawk will often be automatically shot down as incomptetent when the opposite may very well be true. Actually, that's how I feel about quite a few of the heads in my own company...very little knowledge, very little competence and riding off the success of their employees rather than having anything to offer. And why? Because they look "professional" and have learned the art of bullshitting.

Things are definitely changing these days, thankfully, and I hope they continue to. I don't think appearance has anything to do with how well you do your job. I also think tattoos/piercings have less of an impact on the customer's opinion of the employee than many people think, and I think that's being proven daily.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #17
SF_Boi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Human
Relationship Status:
Ask Me

SF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Tattoos in the work place

Times have and are changing pertaining to tattoos. Back in the day, to have a visible tattoo was a very big "no no". Nowadays, I don't know one friend or person who doesn't have a tat. I started getting my tats years ago. Some can be seen and some can not. In my profession, at the beginning, you could have a tat or two. Then as the years have gone by, I see more people with tats. Nothing was said for years, then little by little, agencies have restricted tats on their employees. I say, don't judge a book by it's cover.

On the same note, a year ago, I had a medical emergency (peanut allergy) about a year ago. My treating physician had tat sleeves on both arms, tats on his knuckles and neck. He was a great guy and I have never felt more relaxed around a physician.
SF_Boi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SF_Boi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #18
Write14u

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm easy
Relationship Status:
She's some kind of wonderful.

Write14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST ReputationWrite14u Has the BEST Reputation

I have three tattoos, none of which are visible unless I want them to be. I tend to lean toward that air of professionalism. When I'm out and about, I don't mind wearing a muscle shirt and showing off the tat on my bicep, but I don't feel as comfortable with it in the workplace.
That said, I don't have a problem with seeing tats on people in any environment. I'm pretty cool with piercings too, but in the professional areas I run around in, I don't see too many piercings.

Side note: The advertising side at my office is not allowed to wear flip flops. The editorial side is. Pretty freaking stupid. So, of course, I like to go down and see my graphic artist friend while wearing my flip flops! *grin*
The Following User Says Thank You to Write14u For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #19
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

SassyLeo, I hear you. Part of me tends to agree because that part is listening to old tapes from people who don't get to count any more.

I have seen some tattoos/piercings that took me aback but then I also have seen some clothing that was HIGHLY work inappropriate. Darlings, if I want to see that much of your breast, I'll take you to a nice dinner first, k? Now put on a jacket.

The most interesting tattoo I've ever seen was a customer service rep for a company I worked for in Denver. Dude had facial tattoos in blue ala a Pictish warrior.

My pagan self said, "Rock on, that's totally cool."
My manager self said, "Dude, be grateful this is a phone job."

Then I realized...it's not in my hula hoop. I simply don't get to dictate what others wear or display--even the low-cut clothing. If I were in management, I would have to say something if it were outside the written dictates of our dress code. But, I'm not, so I don't.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #20
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

I keep seeing words like professionalism, dress code or other words that imply the same things, and I can't help but wonder what is so unprofessional about tattoos, piercings or even certain articles of clothing? To me, professionalism is an attitude, not a dress code. I thought it might be interesting for us to examine why exactly we, as a society, see people with tattoos, piercings or who dress a certain way as unprofessional or inappropriate. Is it the connotations that such things have in modern society (or perhaps in a more conservative past)? On top of that, why exactly are certain articles of clothing, tattoos or piercings seen as "disrespectful" to some? Because they do not conform? Because they do not seem "neutral"? Do we need complete uniformity and the erasure of individuality/individual identity in order to be professional? If not, then what is it about these things that makes people deem them unprofessional? Again, I think back to Thoreau on this one. And, funny enough, to Booth from Bones and his colourful socks and Cocky belt buckle in his quiet rebellion against conformity

Last edited by EnderD_503; 07-27-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typos ftw
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post: