stephfromMIT
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Troll
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her
Relationship Status:
engaged to my fiancee Amanda

stephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST Reputation
Smile Calling all students

Come out, come out, wherever you are! Let's talk about the life of a student.
stephfromMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to stephfromMIT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
stephfromMIT
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Troll
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her
Relationship Status:

stephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST Reputation
Smile Bump

Just bumping to say I'm a Physics Ph.D candidate at MIT. Most interested in Plasmas and Astrophysics.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to stephfromMIT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

i love being a student!

right now i am trying to obtain a teacher certification in the bodywork modality that i do, Reflexology.

Got through the Anatomy and Physiology phase, now working on curriculum and some self work i have to do to satisfy my teacher.

i could have never had this opportunity before, so having the gift of time and funds to do so is something new to me, so i am heading forward!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
thedivahrrrself

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Sapiosexual Femme
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Grumpy Cat

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 4

Thanked 11,662 Times in 2,292 Posts
thedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I have determined that after my masters degree, I'm going to be functionally illiterate. I used to enjoy reading; now it is a chore.
thedivahrrrself is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to thedivahrrrself For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation

I've just started my Master's in TESOL online with the uni I graduated from. Not doing too well so far Not doing a very good job at focusing. (

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Student here!

Going back to school for my Masters. Just got my books yesterday and am feeling really nervous. I haven't been in school in about 8 years and am feeling rusty.

AND I lost my mind and am full time this semester with a 50-hour work week AND this site. I'm crazy.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

I have been looking into, and thinking for a long time now about going on to get my Masters and Nurse Practitioner license. For the past month i have had so many things come in the mail it's hard to not see the signs that maybe i should do this.

Hearing all of your stories and journeys are very inspirational.

I just signed up for more literature and that is a big first step for me.

Thanks for sharing all!!!!
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

I'm currently working towards my degree in Speech Pathology, was originally going for my Masters in nursing, but changed mid-stream when I decided that I needed a career change. And may I just say...I LOVE being a student! If I ever won the lottery, I would probably become a professional student...no major, just taking classes that interest me, about anything and everything! (and yes, I claim my Nerdy McGeekpants-ness proudly! LOL)

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation
Default bumping ...

What do you do to focus? Whether it's something you need to read or write...

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
The Following User Says Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusciouskiwi View Post
What do you do to focus? Whether it's something you need to read or write...
Unfortunately, I usually need a crushing amount of pressure. Ha!
I do my best work if I procrastinate until the very last minute. Something about the intensity of scrambling, the empty library at midnight, and the fear of imminent consequences all seem to do it.

It's a terrible strategy and I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure it's just pure dumb luck that I've never had something come up, or that there was a book or a research article that I desperately needed for my work that I couldn't get my hands on at the last minute.

This semester I'm taking two grad courses, and I'm determined to be better. For my two undergrad degrees I stayed in an area that I knew well, but now I've veered off my planned path and into a field where I'm not so surefooted and things may not come as easily.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
Unfortunately, I usually need a crushing amount of pressure. Ha!
I do my best work if I procrastinate until the very last minute. Something about the intensity of scrambling, the empty library at midnight, and the fear of imminent consequences all seem to do it.

It's a terrible strategy and I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure it's just pure dumb luck that I've never had something come up, or that there was a book or a research article that I desperately needed for my work that I couldn't get my hands on at the last minute.

This semester I'm taking two grad courses, and I'm determined to be better. For my two undergrad degrees I stayed in an area that I knew well, but now I've veered off my planned path and into a field where I'm not so surefooted and things may not come as easily.
What are you studying Ms Semantics? Your user id is funny since my Master's is under the School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies.

I think the key to procrastination is finding out the root cause of it. I know what you mean. Lots of us do it though eh? Not healthy though.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #12
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

I am going for my AAS in Culinary Arts, and will be studying some Baking and Pastry Arts as well. I don't know yet, though, if I am going to get an Associate's degree in Baking and Pastry, yet, or simply take a few classes to learn more about that side of the kitchen. I'll only need about 8 or 9 more classes to get my Associate's in that field, so I might end up doing that.
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
QueenofSmirks

How Do You Identify?:
Just Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Busy

1 Highscore

Thanked 2,920 Times in 879 Posts
QueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST Reputation

I, too, love being a student! It took me 18 years to finally be able to go back to college. Don't get me wrong, I bitch every week about having to do homework, but I know someday, when I'm done and have my degree in hand, I'll be lost LOL. It's just so much a part of my life, even when I have a break I feel like I don't know what to do with the extra time!

As someone else posted, I'm also a "pressure student". I wait until an alarmingly late hour to start on papers and other important assignments, then work like a fiend to accomplish the task. I've tried other ways, but always revert back - it's just part of my nature - I always perform better under stress.

Kudos to all of my fellow students!

Medusa, wow! I am sending positive energy your way - that is quite a load!

"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." Christopher Morley
QueenofSmirks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to QueenofSmirks For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
DamonK

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 7,762 Times in 1,881 Posts
DamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST Reputation

Been trying to go back for years. Assuming nothing goes wrong, I'm back for 3 math classes and one law.
DamonK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DamonK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
SleepyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Dude
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
Taken

Thanked 11,244 Times in 2,753 Posts
SleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST Reputation

I too am a student. After being a nurse for many many years, I am working on my bachelors in software engineering. It is challenging working a full time job and having to do the work but it will be worth it. I have one more year to go. I'm doing it online because I would not have the motivation to go to class every week.

I love learning new things and love that I am using my brain again.

You cannot embrace those things that will not embrace you back.
SleepyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SleepyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #16
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyButch View Post
I too am a student. After being a nurse for many many years, I am working on my bachelors in software engineering. It is challenging working a full time job and having to do the work but it will be worth it. I have one more year to go. I'm doing it online because I would not have the motivation to go to class every week.

I love learning new things and love that I am using my brain again.
Wow, that's quite a career change! Good for you Sleepy.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I thought about it. It's a great career and interesting. But it's just too long a haul for me at this age.

I am going to be taking online classes -- free -- this year in math and science. They will allow me to be highly qualified as a teacher in these subjects -- as a Special Educator.

When I finished my credential, which was harder for me than any academic work I had done before (because of my age probably), I was like "NEVER AGAIN!"

But I think I knew when I said that that I couldn't hold to that.

I haven't started the online work yet. But I think it will be fine. Fun, even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by always2late View Post
I'm currently working towards my degree in Speech Pathology, was originally going for my Masters in nursing, but changed mid-stream when I decided that I needed a career change. And may I just say...I LOVE being a student! If I ever won the lottery, I would probably become a professional student...no major, just taking classes that interest me, about anything and everything! (and yes, I claim my Nerdy McGeekpants-ness proudly! LOL)
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
stephfromMIT
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Troll
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her
Relationship Status:

Smile My fall classload

Quantum Field Theory III
Quantum Mechanics I
Statistical Mechanics I
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stephfromMIT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #19
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I'm planning on starting skool in Sept. I'm taking my pre reqs for the RN program but hoping to get into an LPN program next September. I've always enjoyed school and im VERY much looking forward to it
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #20
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

After reading the posts, I thought I would throw a question out there....how many are taking online classes as opposed to the actual classroom? When I got my nursing degree, many of my classes couldn't be taken online (for obvious reasons...a lot of them were clinical in nature). Luckily, I was able to transfer many of my credits, and CLEP even more...so now, I have the option to take a good number of classes online. I've always been a bit leery of online classes, because I felt that I needed the discipline of an actual classroom setting. However, this summer I took two online classes and, to my surprise, really enjoyed it! I'm thinking of perhaps splitting the rest of my remaining classes 50-50 between online and classroom. If you are taking online classes...what have been your experiences with them? Do you find them easier or harder? Are you online by choice, or is that all that is available?

My Fall classes:
Speech Science I
Sign Language
Aging and the Law
Intro to Physical Science

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi

Last edited by always2late; 08-19-2012 at 05:34 PM.
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:

Tags
student