The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default Photogs: Those who take 'em and those who love 'em

I figured it might also be nice to have a thread about photography, the art of, tricks and tips, sharing of photos, ideas, questions. Basically, anything and everything related to photography.

I have a nice Canon XSi and a smaller Canon Elph camera (thinking it may be time to retire this one and get a new one). Anyways, it's been a while since I've gone out to take photos on a regular basis and I think I need to get back into that habit. You can see what I did last year (and a few years before) from my flickr stream below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/syrlinus/show/

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass

Last edited by Linus; 01-14-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
mouthy but adorable; kinky Gerbera
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

daisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I figured it might also be nice to have a thread about photography, the art of, tricks and tips, sharing of photos, ideas, questions. Basically, anything and everything related to photography.

I have a nice Canon XSi and a smaller Canon Elph camera (thinking it may be time to retire this one and get a new one). Anyways, it's been a while since I've gone out to take photos on a regular basis and I think I need to get back into that habit. You can see what I did last year (and a few years before) from my flickr stream below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/syrlinus/show/
Those are truly lovely photographs, Linus!

btw: I love Canon products! I have a Canon Rebel--but a 35mm--and am lusting after its digital counterpart (I hear that my lens will fit both). For easy shooting, though, I carry around a Canon PowerShot.

Hold on to the lessons, let go of the pain.
--Leslie Feinberg
daisygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daisygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygrrl View Post
Those are truly lovely photographs, Linus!

btw: I love Canon products! I have a Canon Rebel--but a 35mm--and am lusting after its digital counterpart (I hear that my lens will fit both). For easy shooting, though, I carry around a Canon PowerShot.
The XTi is the latest dSLR Rebel release by Canon and has been getting excellent reviews. DPReview is a good place to read some in-depth reviews of pretty much any digital camera.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

*bumpity bumpity*

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

I posted a couple of photos I took this week here in Toronto after playing with the F stop. My camera can only go as low as F5.6. Now, someone correct me: F stop is how long the frame stays open to allow light in, no? This means that nighttime photos come in clearer?

The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,450 Times in 370 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation

A lower f-number denotes a greater aperture opening, which allows more light to reach the film or image sensor.

Aperture is literally just the size of the hole allowing light in.

Shutter speed is how long the image will be exposed to light.
Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Selenay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenay View Post
A lower f-number denotes a greater aperture opening, which allows more light to reach the film or image sensor.

Awesome and thanks. Now to figure out how to find the shutter speed on this thing.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
Odarlin

How Do You Identify?:
Undine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Sexy
Relationship Status:
Finding my immortal soul one giggle at a time.

Odarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
... Now, someone correct me: F stop is how long the frame stays open to allow light in, no? This means that nighttime photos come in clearer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenay View Post

To add to an excellent post:
When you have a lower f-stop(and wider aperture) you generally can have a shorter shutter speed because since more light is hitting the film at any given time you need less time(as stated above) and it can be super handy for no flash night picts that are not stationary or you can't use a tripod for. Add fast film and you have something formidable to play with at night.

When you do use a lower f-stop though you will have a smaller depth of field; the range surrounding the plane of critical focus in which the focus is acceptably sharp. A low f-stop is a common technique used to get those shots in which part of someone/thing is in focus and everything in front of or behind them is very unfocused.

My cameras are mostly manual 35mm SLR’s; on these there is color coding on the aperture adjustment ring that correlate the different f-stops to the distances on the focusing ring that give a general idea of what depth of fields will be available for what aperture settings. It might look very different on your cameras but it should have something. It isn’t hard to figure with a bit of play though. Maybe you know all this.

I just pulled out my cameras after not looking at them for a number of years. It is fun and inspiring to see what you are doing!

Last edited by Odarlin; 01-28-2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: I said something cornfuckling
Odarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Odarlin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
Daktari

fantastic! a photographers thread.

I run a Nikon D100 - a seriously ancient work-horse of a camera, built like a tank (I'm sure I could substitute the camera for a hammer at DIY time)...Haven't been shooting much recently but when I am have a passion for exploring and shooting abandoned buildings

like this at East Sussex Asylum

in 2008 I undertook a 365 project which meant I took a self portrait every day, this allowed me to be a 'bit daft' whilst having the excuse of taking pictures of said 'daftness'

a bit like this - that's me on the left

my girl is the serious photographer in the house, she comes from the fine art side of things and uses medium format film more often than not.

I hope you have fun playing around with the aperture/shutter/iso stuff on your camera Linus.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Default infared -

using an old tank i like old building photography with creepers growing on the outside, cemetery tombstones "floating" on high grass", statuary, and fixtures of all sorts - infared makes things a little more interesting.

i am thinking of minor white right now

food photography is of interest to me also.

http://www.nature-photography-centra...otography.html

http://www.vasculata.com/minor_white.htm
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
Odarlin

How Do You Identify?:
Undine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Sexy
Relationship Status:

Odarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to all
Default re: infrared

Quote:
Originally Posted by violaine View Post
using an old tank i like old building photography with creepers growing on the outside, cemetery tombstones "floating" on high grass", statuary, and fixtures of all sorts - infared makes things a little more interesting.
Yes! stunning.

Photographer: Allon Kira
Image Source: http://www.dphotojournal.com/wp-cont...hotography.jpg
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Odarlin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Default reappearances - photog/painting/drawing - what's yours ?

i really like the repetition of arches - branch, cloud-scape/sky, land-plant scape- and bridge, odarlin

structures/surfaces - tactical/tacit/tactile ! in water, cloud, tree, bridge - some are rooted in a sense of permanence, while others appear momentary, a glimplse.

a breeze may change direction of things above and below- and the reflection captures both.

Last edited by violaine; 01-31-2010 at 11:24 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odarlin View Post
Yes! stunning.

Photographer: Allon Kira
Image Source: http://www.dphotojournal.com/wp-cont...hotography.jpg
cor! worra picture - fantastic

Last edited by Daktari; 01-31-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: adding colour to text - so sue me I like green ;o)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #14
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

Default social commentary ; documerica ; humanistic photography

documentary photographers -

joseph rodriquez -spanish harlem ; east side stories: gang life in east LA-

donna ferrato - domestic violence; living with the enemy.

graciela iturbide - the indigenous of mexico; juchitan de las mujeres, en el nombre del padre-

<3 <3 <3 sebastiao salgado - workers; other americas; uncertain grace- i need to come back and put down some of his quotes/experiences here later!

so many to add ....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2010, 12:19 AM   #15
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Well, I added a few shots from here in Vegas. The water fountain at the Tropicana and the Lion from MGM are my favourite as is Bobcat playing with the string.

The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #16
Odarlin

How Do You Identify?:
Undine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Sexy
Relationship Status:

was about image protection:

...about dot com blurb on watermarking-----> here

...there is also a well known freeware program that could be utilized in watermarking-----> here
Old 03-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

Location: where the road goes on forever and the party never ends
Thanked 1,533 Times in 437 Posts
little man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputation

this may totally be the wrong place to post this, but what the hell.

i haven't been shooting much, but have begun to edit some stuff. i have a couple of new images here. feedback is always welcome.

i'm a rambling man
i ain't ever gonna change
i got a gypsy soul to blame
and i was born for leaving

--zac brown band (colder weather)
little man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to little man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2010, 03:14 AM   #18
Ingress

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her/she
Relationship Status:
Daddi's girl

Ingress will become famous soon enough

I really like your cloud photos little man.

Don't have much time to shoot myself these days, too busy teaching others how to do it but I hope to get some projects underway when work eases up in May.
Ingress is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingress For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2010, 05:33 AM   #19
BestButchBoy

How Do You Identify?:
Male ID

Thanked 5,459 Times in 2,038 Posts
BestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST Reputation

I have sporadically shot NY through a cell phone camera. A bit of retouching vis a vis photoshop to either add otherwise benign artistic interpretation or embellish what already existed.

Prior to the digital revolution, I would do "drive by" shootings using cheap disposable b/w cameras and have them developed on color paper. Very cool imagery as a result.

I guess I'm still doing that in some respect using a cell phone camera. I really dig the iPhone camera's output! Creates very cool output. Alas, I am currently using "Hello Moto".

Some of the imagery I've seen here on b.f.planet by those of you who are "shooters" is quite interesting and rather good.

Cheers for Queers!
BestButchBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BestButchBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #20
fuzzypinkego

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her majesty
Relationship Status:
Open for wooing

fuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputation
Default ooh ooh ooh ME ME ME!

I <3 photography. I'm actually starting a freelance business. Please feel free to check out my site! http://www.dreazalaquett.com/
fuzzypinkego is offline   Reply With Quote