Old 08-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #81
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,354 Times in 2,670 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation
Question

I am starting to get anxious about returning to work full time.

I don't want to wear shoes, or get up early, and

I don't want to deal with several of my colleagues.

The jury is still out on the new administrators, but

Though I don't really like change, fresh ideas and energy can be great.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #82
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Well if pigs don't fly... the principal came to our special education team meeting, we agreed on a goal and actually got clear directions. It was such a relief to know what is expected and not have to guess. hee hee! I could just flap!

Made my to-do list and organized myself some tonight. sigh I have a goal... it is amazing.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2012, 03:44 AM   #83
bkisbutchenuff
PPoA - Southern Gentle Butch

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, he, him, handsome, Daddy
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Thanked 10,845 Times in 2,247 Posts
bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

So....here's the update...7th grade has 61 students (one class), 8th grade 62 (one class), 6th grade 25 in one, 35 in the other...I'm now at the 'bring it on' stage of rediculous...with that many students they want me to do Advanced Orchestra, Intermediate Orchestra and General Music at the same time - 75 minutes a day....just crazy...I don't even have enuff chairs...the General Music students will rotate out every 9 weeks...
The thugs have been no problem - as they really don't want to draw attention to themsleves...not good for their groups...its the many attention seeking wannabe's that are the problems...Still moving forward toward my plan....
Have a good day Educator's...it's almost Friday!

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Randy Pausch.
bkisbutchenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #84
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

BK your story reminds me of one of the reasons for moving to NH. I put up with the small towns, -isms of people that are very isolated (they are everywhere though, just more outspoken in the town I work in), grocery stores that close at like 7pm on Sunday, bugs, humidity (although compared to other places it isn't that bad), crappy winters for....

My daughter entering elementary school that has music, art, pe, technology, library as specials and a class size of like 20. We were leaving class sizes of 30 and music once a week and pe once a week and no art, tech or library.

For myself I was leaving a case load of 40 for a case load of 16.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:25 AM   #85
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

The biggest problem we have is a State Law which prohibits State employees from unionizing...therfore continuous:
BOHICA (Bend Over Here It Comes Again) and
FUBAR (Fucked Up Beyond Recognition)

B

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Randy Pausch.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #86
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkisbutchenuff View Post
The biggest problem we have is a State Law which prohibits State employees from unionizing...therfore continuous:

B
Totally Agree BK... unions are good for working conditions. I know folks have varying opinions about unions. I am at times more involved than others yet I am consistently happy to pay my dues.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:42 AM   #87
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

I think it stinks that you don't have a union to look out for your professional and personal well being.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2012, 04:54 AM   #88
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

I'm leaving for school in a little while.

The school year hasn't started officially, but

I have so much to do to set up my classroom!

There aren't enough disinfecting wipes in the world for

The Grime of One Hundred Teenagers.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:20 AM   #89
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thumbs up Good for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancie View Post
I want to develop a better relationship with one of my administrators.

I want to learn to lean on him more, and

I definitely want to stop talking smack about him.

<snip>
I had something on my mind, so I went to talk to this administrator.

He made time to listen to me and he validated my concerns.

I really appreciated his time and effort.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2012, 04:38 AM   #90
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
I had something on my mind, so I went to talk to this administrator.

He made time to listen to me and he validated my concerns.

I really appreciated his time and effort.
It is nice when they take the time to listen! I also finally got to sit down with my Principal...she listened, saw my frustration and Got the picture (I hope). I told her - If I don't get some help -I will not make it through the year at this rate...It's not even Labor Day and I go in exhausted everyday...
Being caged in a room for 75 minutes with 60 students and no resources wears you down...Differentiated Instruction x's 9. On my left - Adv. Orchestra students, in the middle - Inter. Orchestra students and on my right - 25 General Music Students....within each group - students who do not, do and exceed standards as well as special needs...no technology, no books for GM, and no instruments for gen. music....I get one group engaged, the other side goes bonkers...I get everyone one engaged, actually try to instruct - turn my back and something goes flying across the room...did I mention - not enuff chairs for bout 20 -25 per class...(2classes like this)

The best part is I do have approx. 60 beginners on 6th grade who actually signed up for the class...
I also told her that under the current conditions - no one was getting served or justice...she was my evaluator 2 yrs. prior to getting the Pricipalship...she knows that is not acceptable for me...
We shall see...

Old 08-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #91
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2012, 05:44 AM   #92
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkisbutchenuff View Post

B
How can it be illegal to belonging to a union????? I just don't understand that.

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #93
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation
Default It's raining ...

Yeah, I know, this is Malaysia, tropical country = rain, no big deal right? I have 5 primary schools, 4 of which are kampung (village) schools. A whole lot of kids will be absent from school today, especially kids from the "last" classes.

At our last team meeting I mentioned this to my colleagues, saying I wish the schools would fundraise for raincoats or umbrellas. One of my colleagues (American, elementary school teacher) laughed at me saying that some of them don't even have pencils. Well, if the kids aren't in school, doesn't matter if they have pencils or not.

*sigh*

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #94
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Yesterday: Had an awesome day compared to the last two weeks....I got to teach!!!!
Both 7th and 8th Grade were able to play...Addressing the other half of the class, I talked about vibrations, sound waves, techniques, accessories needed to play, etc.
Well wishes, vibes, prayers...all came through...Thank you friends on the Planet! Still lots to work out and manage...buts its a start!!!!

The counseling dept. is willing to set up a class within the classes...will make grade book a hell of a lot easier!

The 6th grade beginners...2 classes - 70 strong...love them!

I'm gonna make this work until change comes!....

Old 08-28-2012, 04:03 AM   #95
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Today is the first day for students at the school I work at and my daughters school. I was up before my alarm clock this morning and oh so tired last night.

Both schools had back to school activities where students could meet their teachers yesterday. Both schools are title one schools. The one that is in the small town is where I teach. The General's school is in a medium sized town (pretty big for NH). The differences were amazing.

I think of where I work right now as in a time warp. As another teacher friend of mine described it... The town is an isolated town in NH by choice. Back to school activities happened from 2-3pm and loaded the families up with papers. The diversity is limited to economic diversity. The kids largely have new clothes for schools start, brought mountains of supplies (because what the teachers wanted was too much to fit in backpacks tomorrow) and took home mountains of form to fill out. The families spent their time in the classroom talking to the teachers.

Where my daughter attends school our neighborhood school is seen as the more lower SES school. Back to school included popsicles and was from 3-4:30 (thank goodness from the bottom of my working mom heart). The diversity is economic and racial/ethnic. The families and kids congregated on the playground talking to each other long after they visited the classrooms. No one brought in there supplies since the teachers asked for like 4 small items. The classrooms are clean but not overly cutesy. I am grateful for The General's school. It has it's challenges and it seems real.

We didn't talk her new teacher's ear off, it is my personal preference to let her get to know The General on her own a bit. I will send a coaching guide via email today or tomorrow. The General got to see her kindergarten teacher. Oh that was the best.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:12 AM   #96
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzerJ View Post
Today is the first day for students at the school I work at and my daughters school. I was up before my alarm clock this morning and oh so tired last night.

Both schools had back to school activities where students could meet their teachers yesterday. Both schools are title one schools. The one that is in the small town is where I teach. The General's school is in a medium sized town (pretty big for NH). The differences were amazing.

I think of where I work right now as in a time warp. As another teacher friend of mine described it... The town is an isolated town in NH by choice. Back to school activities happened from 2-3pm and loaded the families up with papers. The diversity is limited to economic diversity. The kids largely have new clothes for schools start, brought mountains of supplies (because what the teachers wanted was too much to fit in backpacks tomorrow) and took home mountains of form to fill out. The families spent their time in the classroom talking to the teachers.

Where my daughter attends school our neighborhood school is seen as the more lower SES school. Back to school included popsicles and was from 3-4:30 (thank goodness from the bottom of my working mom heart). The diversity is economic and racial/ethnic. The families and kids congregated on the playground talking to each other long after they visited the classrooms. No one brought in there supplies since the teachers asked for like 4 small items. The classrooms are clean but not overly cutesy. I am grateful for The General's school. It has it's challenges and it seems real.

We didn't talk her new teacher's ear off, it is my personal preference to let her get to know The General on her own a bit. I will send a coaching guide via email today or tomorrow. The General got to see her kindergarten teacher. Oh that was the best.

Sounds like you both are in good environments! Best wished to you both having an awesome year!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #97
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Lightbulb I am so tired.

I was happy to read both of your posts.

I hope some other teachers will share their experiences too.

Today was my first day with ninth graders.

I planned a nice hands on activity

And I learned a lot about where my students are at.

Don't worry. We administer plenty of norm referenced tests, but

For me, nothing beats checking in while we work.

Seniors start tomorrow, and

Because of a whole series of beaurocratic snafus,

I don't know who will be in my robotics class.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #98
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Quote:
I was happy to read both of your posts.

I hope some other teachers will share their experiences too.

Today was my first day with ninth graders.

<snip>

Because of a whole series of beaurocratic snafus,

I don't know who will be in my robotics class.
PS I think I had a hot flash during first period.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #99
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzerJ View Post

How was the first day for both of yous?

The Following User Says Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #100
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusciouskiwi View Post
How was the first day for both of yous?
The General had a great day.

I had a day that reminded me why I prefer children to grown ups! With 16-20 kids in a class you'd think a couple of the teachers could gripe less. Sigh. Just get to know each other for one day. We can chase their "need to grow in" areas tomorrow. Oh and I can not be in 6 class rooms at the same time to support math in class. Folks are going to have to submit to pull out or deal with once a week support. Both options will go over like lead balloons.

Wine where is my wine!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:

Tags
careers, educators, gltb, network