Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Breakups, Lessons Learned, Healing

Breakups, Lessons Learned, Healing PLEASE do not use this forum for ugliness or nasty posts.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
proximitywithoutintimacy

How Do You Identify?:
Rocker Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
That One Girl ;)
Relationship Status:
Putting My Heart Back Together

1 Highscore

proximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputation
Default Second Chances?

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on second chances... what is forgiveable, what isn't, etc.? Are space and time really as important as everyone says?

I'm going through a very rough time right now; I don't want to pour out the details and upset everyone, but let's just say falling in love with someone, has proved not to be as scary as potentially losing them... </3
proximitywithoutintimacy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to proximitywithoutintimacy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,245 Times in 1,415 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

I've learned through many years on the planet that fear of losing someone else's "love" is never so great as the fear of losing myself in the wrong relationship.

I'm just mean and tough in my old(er) age. I set the bar high; miss it, and I'm out of there. Life's just too short.

ETA: That said, if it's your partner asking for time and space, all you can do is give it.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
proximitywithoutintimacy

How Do You Identify?:
Rocker Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
That One Girl ;)
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

proximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputation

I'm trying very hard to give her time and space. I know that I made a mistake, but I also know that we both love each other very much, and she jumped on the idea of us being friends because she was crying and torn between ending it and giving it another chance. Friendship is a safe landing ground for her to breathe, yeah?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to proximitywithoutintimacy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Chazz

How Do You Identify?:
cisBUTCH
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey
Relationship Status:
Single - gave up the farce

Chazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximitywithoutintimacy View Post
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on second chances... what is forgiveable, what isn't, etc.? Are space and time really as important as everyone says?

I'm going through a very rough time right now; I don't want to pour out the details and upset everyone, but let's just say falling in love with someone, has proved not to be as scary as potentially losing them... </3
Proximitywithoutintimacy, I'm sorry that you're going through a difficult time.

I'm going through a situation now, myself. Here's where I am with it.

Though we speak in terms of "second chances", they are after all, a form of forgiveness and let's begin again.

For me, second chances depend on both parties really knowing the nature of the wrong(s) done, and making a genuine commitment to never do them again. Even then, it must be understood that a period of healing and trust rebuilding is to be expected and respected.

Both parties have to fully face the damage done to one another and the relationship - not simply want things to snap back into place as if they had never happened.

Also, second chances should not be an excuse to switch an unhealthy power and control dynamic from one person to another.

It's been my experience that this is a lot to hope for. Trust once broken is hard to repair. It can cause a permanent shift in someone's feeling towards another.

Infidelity is often seen to be the deal breaker. It's my experience that infidelity is usually the fete de compli. The culmination of many less obvious betrayals. What about them? Is it ever possible to identify or agree on all of them? Are both parties honest enough, mature enough, well enough to take on that depth of work?

In reality, were things ever that terrific that so much time and energy should be put into healing and repairing a damaged relationship? Are one or both parties yearning for the impossible - a return to a honeymoon phase? Is codependency keeping two people together because they don't want to face their personal demons and get on with their lives?

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but I think these are important questions to ask oneself when considering a "second chance". For me, the answer was "NO".
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Chazz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Exclamation

There are no second chances in Snow's World, I hope you can come to a decision that is healthy for you Prox!! Good luck!!!
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Losing the person is preferable to loosing ones self. Do what is right for you, we can't tell you what that is.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,686 Times in 1,608 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
Infidelity is often seen to be the deal breaker. It's my experience that infidelity is usually the fete de compli. The culmination of many less obvious betrayals. What about them? Is it ever possible to identify or agree on all of them? Are both parties honest enough, mature enough, well enough to take on that depth of work?
I agree! I once forgave a cheater, and guess what??? They cheated again, and probably more than once. I will forgive a lot of things, but at this point, infidelity is not one of them.

@proximitywithoutintimacy, if they truly need time and space then it may be the trick. Use that time to focus on you and get yourself back into a better headspace. The main thing you need to do is to make a choice that suits you and your situation. What works for me, or anyone else here, may not necessarily work for you.

Best of luck to you!

Old 07-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

What kind of mistake was it?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
lillith

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, hey you!

lillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputation

As Chazz has pointed out, there are a lot of things to consider. I find that I can forgive, but I cannot forget. And, no time does not heal all wounds, just allows you the distance to see things without the fear of being exposed. Second chances are rarely ever what they seem. Most people give up half way through, and that is that.

Looking back on my life, there are maybe two people I would consider saying, "Hey, how about we try that again." Honestly, though, that possibility will never become a reality because neither of us want it. I agree with others, it is best that you figure out what is sane and healthy for you. Good luck, Prox.

now how can you ignore a dancing pink elephant?

and how i so wish it would rain here.
lillith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lillith For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

As many have said, if she's asking for time and space, then give it. And give it honestly, don't check in every other day to see if it's been "long" enough. LOL

It all depends on the transgression and, of course, the people. But I've know it to not work, and I've known it to work. I had to step away from a person for almost two years. Give her space. Work back into her graces slowly. Finally after two years we were able to see where it goes again. And I am in a much better place to move it forward, and I think the relationship is in a much better place, with much clearer disclosure.

So give her the time/space she needs. Take that time to look at yourself, like why you did whatever it was that you did. What You want from this or any relationship. etc etc etc

It will get better in time. Hang in there.

A
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

Time and space is not really yours to give or to withhold. Your focus should be on you - your needs, feelings, and boundaries.
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
proximitywithoutintimacy

How Do You Identify?:
Rocker Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
That One Girl ;)
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Replies... very... nice, thank you.

Ah, basically, I did a complete 180 - my last girlfriend was an abusive alcoholic, and this woman is so completely the opposite. She's absolutely amazing, and what did I do? Well, I pushed her away, time and time again. Thing is, I didn't exactly realise what I was doing until it was too late.

Isn't that how it always works, though?

Anyway, after many, many tears and "I love yous" we have mutually decided to be friends, and she is still planning on flying down here next week to see me - no promises, no expectations.

I'm just hoping that by showing her that I really do love her, and I never intentionally tried to hurt her, and that I'm going to be seeing someone to try and work out my issues with pushing away great people and trying to hold onto abusive people, maybe we can slowly work things out.

Again, thank you.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to proximitywithoutintimacy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,686 Times in 1,608 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

OK, I have got a good feeling about this. The fact that you plan to see someone about your relationship habits (I don't care for the word issue here) speaks volumes about your dedication to making things work. At worst, you may end up learning the signs that you are starting to push and at best, you will end up with a really great friend who is able to call you out on potentially self-destructive relationship behavior. And, who knows, in the end, you may even get the girl.

I truly wish you all of the best and will send good luck energy your way, that is, if you want it.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
proximitywithoutintimacy

How Do You Identify?:
Rocker Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
That One Girl ;)
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Thanks

I really love this girl, and I just want her to know that I'm still me, I'm still the person she started falling in love with - I just have some emotional relationship habits that I am more than willing to work on and ultimately change. She is potentially the most wonderful person I've ever known, and after mapping out my destructive behaviours, I've realised that she has done nothing but try to make our relationship work - and all I've done is, well, dig and dig until I find something to call her out on - when, really, everything I've gotten upset about has been so insignificant and unintentional. Trivial, really

I'm ashamed, but willing to talk about it in person, and see if we can repair this bad patch.

Does anyone else have thoughts on second chances? Or, hopefully, there's someone else out there who pushes good people away, too - something I can relate to, haha... <3
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to proximitywithoutintimacy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
MysticOceansFL

How Do You Identify?:
Butch,
Preferred Pronoun?:
People call me by my nic name.
Relationship Status:
Not Single, Not Desperate.

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,720 Posts
MysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST Reputation

Everyone deserves a second chance thats part of learning and growing and going forward that is if you both can work the "issues out."

It is said, " Some lives are linked across time.....

Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages "......
MysticOceansFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MysticOceansFL For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #16
proximitywithoutintimacy

How Do You Identify?:
Rocker Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
That One Girl ;)
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

It's not looking good, over here

I tried opening up to her, telling her how much I really do love her, and am working on myself... she said she is here to support me, but just as my friend, and that she feels like she had to change to become perfect for me.

Now, this is not the case, as I love her for exactly who she is - nothing more, nothing less. However, my fears and insecurities took over and led her to believe that she was never good enough for me

Funny thing is, everyone I talk to, seems to believe that if the feelings were in fact, genuine and honest, that time and space is going to help heal because we're both in very vulnerable states of mind. Talking to her may feel like running my head into a brick wall right now, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's suddenly over me - she's protecting herself?

Gah, I don't know. I just feel like we had something too beautiful to just throw away like this, and that what I did was awful - but not unforgiveable?

Sorry for the incessant rambling...
The Following User Says Thank You to proximitywithoutintimacy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #17
MissPriss

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
only lasting realtionship I have is with my job, my gun and my truck.

MissPriss Has the BEST ReputationMissPriss Has the BEST ReputationMissPriss Has the BEST ReputationMissPriss Has the BEST ReputationMissPriss Has the BEST ReputationMissPriss Has the BEST ReputationMissPriss Has the BEST ReputationMissPriss Has the BEST ReputationMissPriss Has the BEST ReputationMissPriss Has the BEST ReputationMissPriss Has the BEST Reputation

Depending on what happened, time and space may do the trick. Wait it out and if its right for both of you, it will return.
MissPriss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissPriss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #18
proximitywithoutintimacy

How Do You Identify?:
Rocker Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
That One Girl ;)
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Thank you...

Not really sure where to go from here.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #19
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Replies... very... nice, thank you.

Ah, basically, I did a complete 180 - my last girlfriend was an abusive alcoholic, and this woman is so completely the opposite. She's absolutely amazing, and what did I do? Well, I pushed her away, time and time again. Thing is, I didn't exactly realize what I was doing until it was too late.

Isn't that how it always works, though?

Anyway, after many, many tears and "I love yous" we have mutually decided to be friends, and she is still planning on flying down here next week to see me - no promises, no expectations.

I'm just hoping that by showing her that I really do love her, and I never intentionally tried to hurt her, and that I'm going to be seeing someone to try and work out my issues with pushing away great people and trying to hold onto abusive people, maybe we can slowly work things out.

Again, thank you.
Quote:
Thank you...

Not really sure where to go from here.
IN my opine only***From my side of the wagon where the wheels fell off...I know, for me, I try to figure out where I go, when the lights go out..and why I push away, or go away. I highlighted in red above what jumped out at me.

Learning about, and healing and understanding myself first is a work in progress, everyday, and in every way. I have learned that there are certain triggers, certain emotions that send me over the edge, and make me shut down, disappear and withdraw, thus pushing my love away.

So, in My opine, work on me first, no matter how long, how far, and how deep I love and want, and pay the huge price by ....being alone with myself.

Best wishes from the wagontrail
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #20
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

It all depends for me on if I think that person turned out to be someone entirely different from who I thought they were when I fell in love. If they have, then there are no second chances with me.

Misunderstandings and miscommunications are really tough. I have had people completely misread me and then reject me and never want to talk to me again. That hurt, but I always try to figure out what I might have done differently. Honestly, I never intend or try to hurt someone, and I NEVER cheat. Cheating is a deal-breaker with me, as is abuse (verbal or otherwise). I have had some romances end really badly for me, and it just makes me more cautious about committing to anyone. Look for the red flags, and you are less likely to get into a situation that won't turn out well. Above all, be HONEST!!
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post: