Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > LGBT Activism, Allies, ETC.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Admin
Administrator

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 5,633 Times in 1,013 Posts
Admin has disabled reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default LGBT Activism, Charities, Political Actions:A Community Resource

Hello All,

We need your help

Eight months ago when we started this site, we had a loose gameplan to get up and running, implement some new ideas, and eventually expand the social model of our website to include a scholarship and support component.
The time has come for us to start laying the groundwork for how we want to proceed with that. I would love to have some community input and involvement in this process.

Essentially, after all the bills are paid for this website (which includes hosting, domains, software, Reunion costs, taxes, etc), we would like to look at the funds that are available and allot a percentage toward scholarships and grants within this community as well as donations to organizations that will directly impact the larger LGBTQIA community.

I would like to start a resource list to do that.

Many of you may not know this but ButchFemmePlanet.com, with your support, made its first charitable donation to the National Center for Lesbian Rights back at the beginning of May.
(will be reflected for May's financials and will have those up in the next few days)

I am interested in organizations that have a specific LGBTQIA focus. (ex: LAMBDA Legal, NCLR, etc. Not organizations like PETA or The Salvation Army).
They can be National or Local but need to have 501c3 non-profit status. We are also looking specifically to support organizations that focus on differently-abled individuals, individuals of color, individuals who have been the victim of a hate crime, domestic violence awareness, youth communities and other initiatives that will benefit the under-served communities.

If you would like to help, please post in this thread and include the following information:
Name of Organization, Contact info or website, a brief synopsis of their work, any personal experiences you have had with them, why you think ButchFemmePlanet.com should make a donation to them in the name of this community, and any other information that you feel might help us with our decision.

We can't make any promises yet about the size of any donations or specifics about who we will donate to. This is an information-gathering time and hopefully will also become a community resource to help other folks see opportunities to support this community, as well as the LGBTQIA at large.

I am also interested in hearing from individuals who have experience with 501c3 charities, grant proposals, and technical writing as ButchFemmePlanet looks toward our own future and the possibility of forming our own 501c3.

Again, we are merely gathering information right now and will keep the community in the loop on any decisions that we make. We will also have an open discussion platorm at the upcoming Reunion and continuing discussion in the financial threads area for any members interested in the process.

Thanks so much for your continued love and support,
Admin
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Admin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,993 Times in 2,596 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Omg y'all are so freaking awesome I could squeel.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I want to hug Jack, and kiss Medusa! You are my heroes! I love you both so much!

Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default Great Idea--thank you!

The first one that came to my mind (and personally affects us) was Immigration Equality. There are thousands (over 30 000 couples I read at one point) of LGBTQ people who are affected (separated, living in exile, living illegally) due to DOMA preventing USA folks to sponsor their partners for immigration. This organization helps couples who are facing discrimination on a variety of immigration fronts including asylum seekers, trans issues, and those affected with HIV.

Immigration Equality

Mission Statement:

Immigration Equality is a national organization that works to end discrimination in U.S. immigration law, to reduce the negative impact of that law on the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and HIV-positive people, and to help obtain asylum for those persecuted in their home country based on their sexual orientation, transgender identity or HIV-status. Through education, outreach, advocacy, and the maintenance of a nationwide network of resources, we provide information and support to advocates, attorneys, politicians and those who are threatened by persecution or the discriminatory impact of the law.

Our Members:

Our members come from every continent in the world and are deeply affected by the issues we address. Members include asylum seekers and asylees, partners in binational same-sex couples, transgender immigrants, immigrants living with HIV or AIDS, and the friends and families of anyone affected by immigration discrimination. Members receive our monthly e-bulletin with valuable information about immigration issues, along with invitations to special events and community forums. Most importantly, members provide crucial support for the work of Immigration Equality. All donations to Immigration Equality are fully tax deductible.

-----

Thanks for the donation to NCLR which is a fantastic organization who has done so much for our community!

Last edited by Soon; 06-22-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Admin
Administrator

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Member Photo Albums

GREAT suggestion, HSIN!
The Following User Says Thank You to Admin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
She thinks all my jokes are corny

Thanked 1,839 Times in 500 Posts
Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation

How awesome. Y'all rock.

Dylan...wearing his cheerleading outfit
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
Admin
Administrator

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
How awesome. Y'all rock.

Dylan...wearing his cheerleading outfit

THAT should be worth a huge donation to some organization on its own
Old 06-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Transgender Law Center

Mission Statement

The Transgender Law Center (TLC) is a civil rights organization advocating for transgender communities. Every day we connect transgender people and their families to technically sound and culturally competent legal services, increase acceptance and enforcement of laws and policies that support California's transgender communities, and work to change laws and systems that fail to incorporate the needs and experiences of transgender people.

TLC utilizes direct legal services, public policy advocacy, and educational opportunities to advance the rights and safety of diverse transgender communities. TLC uses the term "transgender" to represent all of the innumerable genders and forms of gender expression that fall within and outside of stereotypical gender norms. TLC also understands, acknowledges, and resists non-gender based oppressions which limit people's ability to live in peace.

History

TLC, begun in 2002 as a fiscally sponsored project of the National Center for Lesbian Rights, is California's first fully staffed, state-wide transgender legal organization. We were created, with early support from NCLR, Pride Law Fund, and the Echoing Green Foundation, to respond to the overwhelming discrimination that transgender people and their families face in nearly every institution in California. In the spring of 2005, we became an independent, tax-exempt organization.

Since we opened our doors in 2002, TLC has provided individualized legal information to between 750 and 1,000 community members and their families each year. Annually, we work directly with about 150 people who need more direct representation or advocacy. For example, we regularly work with clients who are: going to court to get recognition of their name and/or gender; filing asylum applications; trying to prevent or address workplace discrimination; protect their families; access complete and competent health care; respond to discrimination in the criminal justice system; or fix problems at their school. You can find out about getting help here.

TLC has also increased the community's capacity to respond to discrimination by holding more than 400 transgender law workshops providing legal information to community members and their families, attorneys, government employees, and other social service providers. TLC has also produced one of the nation's most complete libraries of original transgender rights and advocacy materials and distributed them in both paper and electronic form to thousands of community readers. You can see our list of publications in English here and in Spanish here.

In addition to our direct service and public education work, TLC is involved in significant, socially transformative public policy initiatives. In the past, we've worked to: draft and pass local and state anti-discrimination ordinances; help school districts create policies to protect transgender students; helped health care providers improve their services to transgender clients; and, worked with building owners and managers on issues related to public restroom access. Find out more about our ongoing projects here.

Everyday, we're working hard to make sure California is a state in which everyone, regardless of our gender identity, can fully participate. We have a long way to go to transform the state into a place where we are all proud to live, but with your help and support we know we can get there.

Donate

Each year the Transgender Law Center provides direct legal services to over 750 transgender people and their families throughout California. Another 1,200 people attend our transgender law workshops and thousands more are affected by our institutional change programs. And as one of only a handful of transgender civil rights organizations in the country, our work has a national impact. We believe that TLC is well positioned to expand on these and other successes in this coming year. If you believe in equality and dignity for all, please join me in investing in this work. With your help, we can leverage unprecedented opportunities to advance civil rights throughout California and the nation.

Every Gift to TLC Makes a Difference!

Your gift of….
$50 will help us purchase materials and supplies to conduct trainings throughout California, such as our Transgender Law 101 training.

$5 per month helps us pay for the day to day office supplies that are needed to file court cases, print information books, and mail name change forms.

$100 will support one month of our free "advice and counsel" helpline, serving almost 1,000 people a year.

$20 per month will cover monthly costs for a teleconference line to convene community members throughout California to plan legislative hearings to address school safety and prisoner rights.

$500 will purchase a new desktop computer for one of our new staff members.

$1,000 will cover the design, printing, and distribution of new fact sheets to help community members with issues related to asylum, Medi-Cal coverage, and identity-change documents.

$1,200 (or $100 per month) would cover the cost of purchasing a database to mobilize members and communicate with donors.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
Admin
Administrator

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Member Photo Albums

Another great suggestion, SF!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,327 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

Sigh.. Lovely..

Being that we are an international community.. I was wondering how we would go about donating to an international program..

I like the idea of giving resources to a youth program...

Something like Iglyo

International gay/lesbian/bi/transgenderedand queer
Old 06-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #11
Admin
Administrator

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Sigh.. Lovely..

Being that we are an international community.. I was wondering how we would go about donating to an international program..

I like the idea of giving resources to a youth program...

Something like Iglyo

International gay/lesbian/bi/transgenderedand queer
Good Question, Random!

I think we should be able to donate to an international organization in the same way that we donate to local ones. We are still a privately-owned entity at this point so we really can be free to donate at will
The Following User Says Thank You to Admin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
SassyLeo
Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Thanked 1,584 Times in 622 Posts
SassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST Reputation

YES and THANK YOU!

First walking in the Pride Parade this weekend with my employer (we had a big turnout 100+ people this year), and having supporters cheer for us as we walked by, then my friends cheering for me on the sidelines and then my honey giving me a big hug and smooch in front of everyone in my group walking...

And now this- outreach!!! Something I am so passionate about, for those who struggle with non-acceptance and discrimination and especially (for me) THE Youth!

...man I'm all warm and fuzzy.

I vote for >>SMYRC<<

Since 1998 SMYRC has created safety and support for LGBTQQ youth in Oregon, through youth empowerment, community building, education and direct services.

SMYRC is a program of non-profit Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare, Oregon's largest provider of community-based mental health and addictions treatment services.

SMYRC provides a safe, supervised, harassment-free, and alcohol- and drug-free space for sexual minority youth 23 and younger. Youth gather to participate in positive activities like art, music, community organizing, youth development, education, peer support, support groups, case management, counseling, and job readiness preparation.

SMYRC provides the only drop-in resource center for sexual minority youth in Oregon. We also bring safe space and developmentally appropriate programming to other youth environments through our community education and outreach efforts. SMYRC programs align with key youth development benchmarks, like increasing academic success, reducing poverty and preventing juvenile crime. The support that youth find at SMYRC helps them stay in school, become leaders in their communities, and make responsible personal decisions.
The Following User Says Thank You to SassyLeo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
Good Question, Random!

I think we should be able to donate to an international organization in the same way that we donate to local ones. We are still a privately-owned entity at this point so we really can be free to donate at will
can you donate to my new butch/femme hospital gear line?

something fashion forward and gender appropriate?

maybe you could just buy me a bedazzler?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
Admin
Administrator

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Member Photo Albums

Sassy! - SMYRC looks amazing! Definitely am glad to see them on the list!

SF - Something that closes all the way in the back, I hope
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Admin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
She thinks all my jokes are corny

Thanked 1,839 Times in 500 Posts
Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation

I'm thinking tight, neon pink spandex, so patients can feel more like super heroes

Just Add A Cape,
Dylan

And really...who doesn't look good in pink spandex? It's just so damned flattering.
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dylan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #16
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
Sassy! - SMYRC looks amazing! Definitely am glad to see them on the list!

SF - Something that closes all the way in the back, I hope
i like Dylans idea with the cape and pink spandex.

i wanted to take it a step further and not only have something that closes in the back, but in the areas of the garments that cover genitalia? i'd like to silkscreen in pictures of people like ted haggard, sarah palin, rush limbaugh, anita bryant....
Old 09-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
crashhere4eva

How Do You Identify?:
Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, hym...I'm not gonna bite your head off about it
Relationship Status:
Busy... Teaching a hott professor

crashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputation

I'm not sure if this is the best spot for this post but I will post it here and if I need to move it let me know. I put it here because I sent it to Curves Magazine during the time weddings were being considered in my home state of MA. I was part of the activism that helped lobby for marriages. It was also during that time when religious people were flying flags saying "Give God His Rainbow Back". Like I said, if it's in the wrong place let me know.

12/07/06
I understand that there are people who do not "believe" in same sex marriage and am not trying to change their beliefs. We all have different convictions; which is my point. We all should be able to have our convictions without infringing on the basic rights of others. Anyone has the right to disagree and to speak but not the right to take my happiness away from me nor I from them. Exhibiting hatefulness (by either side of the issue) will not make the world a better place.

In terms of "voting" on "same sex marriage" if we do that, what is next? Shall we "vote" on how many marriages heterosexuals are allowed to have? Shall "the people vote" that once heterosexual people marry they shall never divorce? Shall we take away that loop hole in case the "one man and one woman" isn't happy after all? Shall "we the people of America" "vote" on banning divorce or remarrying because we know how negatively it can affect children? Shall we "vote" on which religion the United States should follow? Does anyone divorcing, remarrying, exercising their religious freedom etc. take away my own personal rights? No, of course it does not. This country is big enough for people who are different from each other but let us all respect each other. We all do not believe exactly alike. My rights end where yours begin and vice versa.

On a personal note, I would like to offer some insight and say that for years I suffered by not understanding my sexuality but then when I finally came to terms with it... it made me free. If I do not marry a woman (which is natural for me); is it proposed that I shall not marry at all or that I shall marry a man (just for the sake of him being the opposite gender and that some people in America "voted" that I should)? Further more, shall I marry him knowing full well that my mind, my soul, my body, my spirit and my heart is not with him? I do not think that is respectful and loving to men and they deserve those things just like anybody else. To a woman those things come naturally for me and I know that not everyone in the world understands or accepts it but that's my (and others) reality of it. It's a reality that I'm not ashamed of or sorry for anymore.

I realize that the Bible speaks of "Adam and Eve" per say but not everyone in the world believes exactly like the person next to them. Who is any human to judge another? I would like to respectfully address the infamous "Give God His Rainbow Back" banner and say that you have the right to free speech but may I ask who is anyone (including me) to say that that rainbow is not for a group of people? Yes, the rainbow is a specific icon for my community but we are not telling anyone that it's not for them, that it's just ours to enjoy or that "God" gave it to us only. We are not asking to be married in churches who exercise their right not to marry us because of their religious beliefs. We all have different journeys in life and only love (whatever form that may take on) is going to heal us from whatever scars that individual journey has left for us. It's my understanding that no matter how different we all are the message "God" wants us to know is that love is a desirable attribute over hate.

Let me also say to my fellow GLBT "family" that we should be careful in representing ourselves to be kind and loving to our different neighbor who may or may not "believe" in our "lifestyle" so to speak. Let us be strong and stand for our cause but let's do it by treating others in the way that we are anticipating them to treat us. Let us set a standard for ourselves and how we overcome bigotry and hate.

Respectfully Submitted