Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > LGBT Activism, Allies, ETC.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
citybutch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to "hey you" (either works for me!)
Relationship Status:
19 years together- Very Married for 10 years

Thanked 1,196 Times in 355 Posts
citybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Barbara Grier founder of Naiad Press dies

An icon, a tough woman, and a mother of the Lesbian community has died. For those who knew her knows what I am talking about... The impact of Naiad Press on our community was profound ... Although totally formulaic, the fact that she picked up lesbian novels (and authors) from the 50's and 60's and mass market them...

If you don't know who she is then I would do some reading. Our community would not be where we are if she hadn't had the courage to bring to market the books she did...

http://www.shewired.com/lifestyle/20...n-icon-dies-78

Take care of your body, take care of your health... You never know when the walls cave in and it all changes for good.
citybutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to citybutch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
NorCalStud

How Do You Identify?:
gaea's Daddy and Fiance
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ours
Relationship Status:
Engaged with gaea:-)

Thanked 1,465 Times in 359 Posts
NorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST Reputation

I did not know that. She was huge with those of us in the seventies at San Jose State. She spoke in the bay area and was just around and accessable. We worked on a small newsletter called Up From the Basement and those of us who wrote were amazed with that press

More than one of us had crushes on her...you should know this Barbara! Go well ,sister, into that Goodnight.

Che
NorCalStud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NorCalStud For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2011, 04:48 AM   #3
ButchBowWow

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, she and all those in between. Makes no difference to me.
Relationship Status:
In love with me, does that count?

ButchBowWow Has the BEST ReputationButchBowWow Has the BEST ReputationButchBowWow Has the BEST ReputationButchBowWow Has the BEST ReputationButchBowWow Has the BEST ReputationButchBowWow Has the BEST ReputationButchBowWow Has the BEST ReputationButchBowWow Has the BEST ReputationButchBowWow Has the BEST ReputationButchBowWow Has the BEST ReputationButchBowWow Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybutch View Post
An icon, a tough woman, and a mother of the Lesbian community has died. For those who knew her knows what I am talking about... The impact of Naiad Press on our community was profound ... Although totally formulaic, the fact that she picked up lesbian novels (and authors) from the 50's and 60's and mass market them...

If you don't know who she is then I would do some reading. Our community would not be where we are if she hadn't had the courage to bring to market the books she did...

http://www.shewired.com/lifestyle/20...n-icon-dies-78
In the late 80's - early 90's I was just coming to grips with being queer. I was driving a cab in Philadelphia when I found Giovanni's Room. I think I went shopping there 3 times a week for 2 years buying books, magazines, etc. Most of the books were from Naiad and yes, they were formulaic but that was what I needed at the time because me being queer certainly hadn't figured into any formula I had come up with.

To say that Giovanni's Room and Naiad Press played an important role in my acceptance of myself is an understatement.

Thank you Barbara and Donna.

"It"s called the American dream because you have to be sleeping to believe it." - George Carlin
ButchBowWow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ButchBowWow For This Useful Post: