Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > LGBT Activism, Allies, ETC.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
alexri

How Do You Identify?:
-

Thanked 2,799 Times in 468 Posts
alexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputation
Default National Coming Out Day

So today, October 11th, is National Coming Out Day. Do you celebrate it? Do you have any activities tied to the day? Have you done anything in the past? Does it feel less relevant today than it did maybe 10 or 5 years ago? Have you never heard of it?

http://www.hrc.org/resources/entry/t...-of-coming-out
http://www.hrc.org/resources/entry/n...coming-out-day
alexri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alexri For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
Daktari

My newspaper says it's International Coming out Day.

Don't think I've ever celebrated it or owt. I will be thinking of all those in the world who are unable to come out for fear of their lives.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow OUT!

Our youth center (JASMYN) had a breakfast Sunday for Coming Out Day, they focused on young POC youth, cultural divides when coming out.

Happy Comimg Out Day Everyone!!!!
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

It does feel less relevant than it did 20 years ago. I was wondering why until I looked and read the article that reported that the first National Coming Out Day was in 1987. Now it makes more sense to me!

I know someone (not on this board), whose first visit to a clinic for her hormone therapy is today. She wasn't even aware it was NCOD until I told her. I am excited for her!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
pinkgeek

How Do You Identify?:
that grrl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, grrl, piranha, monkey
Relationship Status:
captured....

Thanked 1,456 Times in 311 Posts
pinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputation

Every year this day is as relevant if not more so because every year that passes someone, somewhere has been killed or committed suicide or been beaten or harassed or felt unloved because they came out. Almost every year I get unfriended by some family member who had their head in the sand about my queer "lifestyle" (cause God knows I got a toaster and gogo boots for choosing to be queer! wtf?) and happened to read facebook today and got a clue.

Somewhere there are people who fear loosing their jobs and loved ones if they are true to themselves and do come out. In most of the world getting married is illegal and in many places being queer will get you locked up or killed.

So yes, this day is without a doubt important. I live as out as I can because somewhere, probably not far from me is a queer who can't. Color me political, perhaps it's my age or my red hair or my tattoos or the swish of my queer ass hips, but equality is both far away and around the corner. Yay for today!

"I‘m heir to madness. Vessel of perversion. Your nightmare should you cross me."

((Want to read about my life in Hawaii and my ongoing war against the roosters and my pony size dog and my wedding?)) http://www.alohafemme.wordpress.com/
pinkgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pinkgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
pinkgeek

How Do You Identify?:
that grrl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, grrl, piranha, monkey
Relationship Status:
captured....

Thanked 1,456 Times in 311 Posts
pinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputation

OMG I have to do this next year!!!!!!! Fabulous idea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
Our youth center (JASMYN) had a breakfast Sunday for Coming Out Day, they focused on young POC youth, cultural divides when coming out.

Happy Comimg Out Day Everyone!!!!

"I‘m heir to madness. Vessel of perversion. Your nightmare should you cross me."

((Want to read about my life in Hawaii and my ongoing war against the roosters and my pony size dog and my wedding?)) http://www.alohafemme.wordpress.com/
pinkgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pinkgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
Dance-with-me

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 1,926 Times in 378 Posts
Dance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST Reputation

The relevance is only relativ, even in the U.S. - to give some perspective, my rural college just had its first ever meeting of a gay-straight alliance less Han a month ago.
Dance-with-me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dance-with-me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,115 Times in 2,999 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

My best ever was ... 16 years ago? I was hanging out with Leslie Feinberg. It'll never get better than that, but I do still enjoy the day.

Actually it was the night before National Coming Out day that I was with Leslie but still, I count it. It was a pre-party event.
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
Abigail Crabby

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Princess
Relationship Status:
Single, but sociable

Thanked 9,667 Times in 2,484 Posts
Abigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST Reputation

Candles
For all our brothers and sisters who live in fear of death for coming out.
We in this nation fought hard for this freedom - I pray everyone everywhere can come out of the closet one day and into the sunshine.

Turns whatever happens to you into a positive...
Abigail Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Abigail Crabby For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance-with-me View Post
The relevance is only relativ, even in the U.S. - to give some perspective, my rural college just had its first ever meeting of a gay-straight alliance less Han a month ago.
I don't understand.

"...relative, even in the U.S.."?

Sorry if I'm being dense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
Dance-with-me

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Dance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
I don't understand.

"...relative, even in the U.S.."?

Sorry if I'm being dense.
Sorry - was posting in haste.

Some folks questioned if Coming Out day was even still relevant.

It may seem irrelevant in larger cities where it appears that coming out is no big deal, but in some areas of the US (as in, not just highly discriminatory countries overseas) it's still a really big deal to come out and to publicly identify yourself as part of the LGBT community. As one of the faculty advisors for the GSA (and the first openly gay employee on this campus) it broke my heart to have to discuss - in 2012, 35 years after I first walked into the women's center on my college campus and picked up a Lesbians United newsletter - things like choosing meeting spaces where outsiders couldn't see who was in the room, what photography policy was needed, and the issues we're having with our fliers disappearing from or being defaced or turned around on the bulletin boards around campus.

Not only that, but even in cities with a large queer population, it's still very relevant for those who come from cultures and communities where being gay is decidedly not ok. Kids are still kicked out of their homes, and people of all ages are still disowned by their families, ostracized from their communities, made unwelcome in their houses of worship, bullied at work or school, harassed in their homes, and fired from their jobs. Until those things diminish, Coming Out Day will continue to be highly relevant.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dance-with-me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
stepfordfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Femme-inist.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female ones :)
Relationship Status:
I really really like someone.

stepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputation
Default Why it matters.

I will explain to you why days like this matter to me in the form of a story from my life.

I grew up in a very very very small town. Rural. Religious. Where everyone knew your business, your parents and has watched you grow up.

I met R in high school. R was one of those guys that drove me insane with rage from day one. He was a religious zealot, rude, and a bit of a chauvinist. He would spew off at the mouth with reasons for women to stay at home in the kitchen and why gays were evil. We were like fire and gasoline for arguments. I was feminist queer girl and I had a temper to back it up.

Mind you, R was also effeminate, loved Elton John, and a whole slew of gay stereotypes.

We had one of the weirdest friendships. Mainly formed from being outcasts and a shared off class in our high school schedules. One day R frustrated me so much I said “R, I know what your problem is, you’re so f*cking far in the closet, you can’t even see it.” And he just looked at me, and he got up and walked away with tears in his eyes.

R became one of the most flamboyant gay men that I have ever met. R was Elton John the next Halloween at school. We all knew, but it was never talked about. R and I became closer than ever. Like an odd couple.

R’s family kicked him out later that year (I never knew the exact details). We would have been around 16/17. He moved along between homelessness,living with older men, working three jobs to live in a dive apartment. His family were religious fanatics (they were JW/Baptists or something similar, I can’t remember). They cut off all ties to R. He was shunned completely.

Within a few months of our high school graduation a friend sent me an email saying that she had bad news. R had committed suicide. He couldn’t leave the small town. He couldn’t get away. Coming out/being gay/dealing with all of the repercussions made him feel like he had to take his life.

Not all of us have the privilege to be out and proud in all areas of our lives. Not all of us care to. Not all of us will ever be able to life our authentic lives. The closets still exist. My prayer today is that young people stay strong. Get out of the small towns if you need to. Find others. Be a friend.

I support the “It gets Better” project. I think one thing that we need to do is be there for people when they do come out. Whether they are 14 or 41. Let them all know that there is a happy, fulfilling life out there for them. It just takes being brave.

So today I miss him. I will listen to some Elton in his memory. Maybe you will too.

Rich, I hope there’s a bit more sparkle in heaven because of you.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
Stud_puppy1991

How Do You Identify?:
butch, gentleman
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy, Hym, "Hey Handsome", and also throwing in a "Sup man" or a "You're sexy" will work
Relationship Status:
Back to Bachelorhood

Stud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST ReputationStud_puppy1991 Has the BEST Reputation

Well, I know that the group I mentor is having a brunch and we are going to watch videos of other youth and their journey, as well as teach them some of the movements that took place. Then, I myself am thinking of doing a couple of video blogs.
Stud_puppy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stud_puppy1991 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
Little Fish

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
female ones, will also respond to babe, boi and Romeo
Relationship Status:
Happy :-)

Thanked 1,886 Times in 321 Posts
Little Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up Chris and Patty--sister/friends

I came out in the Fall of 1981--31 years ago now.

I came out to my two best friends at the time--Chris and Patty. I remember sitting with them at a table in our high school library before school started. I didn't plan it--or even really think about it actually. (I had known for years, finally understanding why I felt "different" from about age 4 or so-)

I said simply, "Hey. I wanna tell you guys something--I'm gay." ------
p a u s e...
Chris: "okay" * smiles*
Patty "yeah, okay.....umm, did you do your Social Studies homework?? I need to copy yours..."

And that was it. There was no surprise when I brought a (stunningly handsome) gay boy from my acting class to the Junior Prom--or a year later to the Senior Prom. (and wore a tux with him too lol-)

I came out in the SF Bay Area. Comparatively speaking, it was easy. (I'm thinking of stepfordfemme's post above and the many painful stories we still hear.) But it was still hard enough for 1981.

When I read here that it was National Coming Out Day (thanks alexri)--I thought about Chris and Patty; they remain among my closest friends and I speak with them regularly. I just joint emailed them, thanking them for being so easy and thus paving the way and calibrating my expectations of coming out, for the rest of my life.
Little Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Little Fish For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
laruss

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She or Goddess
Relationship Status:
Settled in

Thanked 5,328 Times in 1,045 Posts
laruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputation

I think this is an important day in that we are still fighting for rights to be equal. In Canada it is less of a problem then the States and in the States much less of a problem then a lot of parts of the world. But until we have equal rights we have to have days like this to remind people that we are equal and that we are always fighting for that equality.

I grew up in a gay home, my mother had her first female partner in 1979, and she died in 2004, she never came out. She never felt safe to do so. She worked in the non-profit sector and her last job was with Catholic Social Services, I often asked her why she would work for people who she couldn't be herself with and she couldn't be honest about her life partner to. She said it didn't matter because her friends and family knew. But her mother never acknowledged it, her partners mother still to this day won't acknowledge it. Her partners family won't acknowledge their own daughter is gay and my mother was never invited for Christmas as she was only the "roommate". After about 10 years my mother put her foot down and she started doing Christmas and inviting her partners parents. They came but it was always so phoney.

Back in the 80' during jr high and high school it was not acceptable, and to be a child of gay parents meant being very isolated and not being able to have friends home or talk about your home life. I left home at 14 my brother at 16, it was just easier then pretending.

When my brother came out at 18 he was actually afraid to tell us (like we didn't already know). I think mostly because of the shame and hiding we had grown up with.

I didn't officially "come out" until more recently although I have always been with women. But my visible long term relationships were with men. I kept relationships with women hidden for the most part. I had grown up with the shame of being gay and so you didn't let people know. I think so much so that I didn't even admit it to myself until more recently.

I have had 4 different people this summer that didn't know who to talk to, where to meet people, how their friends and family would react. They or a friend of theirs contacted me to help. Coming out is difficult at any age, and no matter what gender or where you live.

I am a strong advocate of gay rights/equal rights and I now won't hide from anyone. Until we have equality, days like today are very important.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to laruss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #16
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,435 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

we aren't doing anything special here that i know of. our youth group meetings have been kinda sporadic since school started back up.

for me i find that i don't feel as strongly (or in the same way) about coming out as a lot of people i've talked to because of cultural differences. i did a lot of safe space panels in college and i always felt out of place because i didn't have the quintessential "really great" or "really awful" coming out experience and nothing has ever tied up neatly in my life. i had a really mediocre and painful and unresolved coming out experience. and i found that being from a rural, poor, mixed-race background, honestly - being queer was not always the biggest struggle or priority for me. i know a lot of people for whom it is, especially folks who are also from the rural south, specifically because of the isolation, etc. but that wasn't my experience.

i do think it can be really helpful to talk about coming out (not just about being queer, but about all kinds of struggles and identities) because i don't think anyone should ever feel isolated or alone or like they are the only one. i do think people should know that it can get better and you can have community and you can be accepted for who you are. but i also think that that needs to be wedded to a better sensitivity to cultural differences and needs that people have around coming out/not coming out/not prioritizing coming out. and it needs to be wedded to a deeper sense of commitment to (practically and materially) supporting people who face violence, homelessness, etc. for coming out.

so...i like national coming out day. i think it can be good to tell our stories and some of the complex feelings i (and others i know) have about national coming out day can be a good starting off point for deeper discussions about the multiplicity of experiences we have or the changes we want to create.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #17
Dance-with-me

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

I first said out loud that I was interested in women in the spring of '78 - to my best friend who had just told me that he was bisexual, who became my lover within that month and who I married later that year because despite what I knew about myself, I still could not fathom not following the path that was laid out for me - I come from a culture where 16 year old girls get cedar chests from their Granny and household gifts from their other kin, to put the pressure to marry into perspective.

I came out as a lesbian in the fall of 1980. I have been blessed since then with the economic and personal privilege that has made it possible to be mostly out since then at work, in my neighborhoods, within my extended family, and in my personal life.

However, I acknowledge that there are different levels of being out. I really struggled on many levels when I have dated transmen or TG male-ID'd butches. If I referred to them as males in conversation, and allowed others to presume I was straight, I felt as if I were hiding behind that assumption of heterosexuality, and yet it was rarely appropriate to clarify. If I referred to them by pronouns that reflected their biology instead of who they really were, I was sacrificing their identity so that I could be more easily out.

I also am not widely out with regard to my primary identify as a queer femme, and instead allow the default assumption to be that I identify as a lesbian. Even lesbian is hard enough to explain at time - and queer femme is a struggle to explain even within the LGBT community and our allies (which is why this community feels so much like "home" to me - you get me, you really really get me! ).
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dance-with-me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #18
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation

I always knew i was different somehow.....just didnt understand until later in life that i was ok and by later i mean 25

I remember speaking with my aunt and her partner in 1979 and i distinctly remember my mother calling my aunts partner a husband talk about a confused little girl as i adamantly distressed that my Aunt had a wife and how dare my mother call my aunts wife a husband ...

When i was in junior high i didn't understand crushes on boys...so i never participated in the "boy" conversations my friends had with each other

In high school and a new city, all my friends were out...(i wasn't yet)

I came out in 1995 after a marriage and 3 kids....blew the doors off as i wasted no time telling anyone who would listen ...when i told my dad he said "about time", when i told my mom she said "it's a phase"

As a femme i have to come out all the time.....

I have recently found about 30 cousins i had no idea existed and they are all on my facebook....I post a lot of things on fb regarding gay rights and such however today just for my cousins in case they didn't know already I came out yet again....

I do not live my life in the closet i haven't since 1995 and i will never again because prior to coming out i was a most unhappy girl...

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #19
Dance-with-me

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

I wanted to acknowledge another type of coming out -- when people who are otherwise politically or religiously conservative come out in support of marriage equality and anti-discrimination laws. They do so in the face of an often deeply hostile response from those who would call them a traitor to their political party or faith. I admire their willingness to distance themselves from the homophobia and take a stance that is challenging and difficult for them.

(Now if only they'd distance themselves from a lot of other nonsense...)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dance-with-me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
SaltyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Old School Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/she/hey you.....
Relationship Status:
open to the possibilities

2 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 5

Thanked 1,635 Times in 301 Posts
SaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST ReputationSaltyButch Has the BEST Reputation

Although I think it is wonderful that this day exists to encourage people to embrace who they are, it saddens me that we in fact have to have a day like this. I've spent some of the day defending myself and other "gay" folk to heterosexuals who wonder why must we have yet another day...we have Pride, we have wear Pink to work day...I said if society would just accept people for who they are no matter who they sleep with, what politics they hold what "God" they wish to serve...we could have Joy 365 days out of the year. I am fortunate that my workplace celebrates diversity in all it's forms and in fact our intranet site spoke to National Coming Out day which is what prompted the discussion. I celebrate daily who I am, an intelligent, confident, caring woman that is the core of who I am, the fact that I am a lesbian is but one facet of me and yet it is this that is constantly questioned, harassed and ridiculed. I would gladly celebrate a "We are all Equal Day" if only we could get others to believe it....so I stand tall today and acknowledge who I am and will gladly hold the hand of any other person who wants to take this journey but is unsteady on their feet.
SaltyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SaltyButch For This Useful Post: