Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > BUTCHFEMMEPLANET.COM NEWS AND INFORMATION > Questions from Members/ Troubleshooting

Old 10-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,723 Times in 5,081 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation
Default Members Helping Members

Thought I'd start a specific thread for people who have basic questions that we can answer for one another.

E.G. "How do I post a picture in a visitor message?"

I thought it would be nice to have a home base thread where anyone could answer anyone's questions! And new members can also be directed here for asking and answering questions. I am hoping that with time it will have all the most commonly asked questions along with the answers provided by any member who has chosen to asnwer, kind of like a FAQ resource.

So please, anyone is welcome to ask or answer a question!
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,382 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Excellent thread idea.

I hate having to bug Linus for little things I know lots of other folks do all the time.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2012, 02:33 AM   #3
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default FAQ no. 1: How do I post a picture?

In order to post a picture, whether the post is a stand-alone picture or a picture you want to include as an addition to a text-based post, you can follow the steps below, so a picture is visible in the post you wish to post.

Long Form Directions:

1) above the empty text box, you will see a row of formatting icons. The 4th icon is a picture of a postcard with a stamp on it, is the icon you will select when desiring to include a photo in your post.

2) On the web page of the photo you wish to include in your post, place your cursor over the internet address of the photo, right click on the address and then select "copy". Your cursor will now remember the internet address of the photo you wish to include in your post here.

3) Now, go to the row of icons above the text box here, select the post-card with a stamp" icon and another text box will appear. Inside the new text box, you will see the following highlighted: "http://". Clear this preloaded text from the box, so that the new box is empty.

4) Now that the photo stamp icon box is empty, place your cursor inside the box and right click again. Choose "Paste." The internet address for the picture you want to post will appear inside this box. Then click "Okay" in that box and your picture will appear inside the grey shaded text box that will appear in your forum board post or in the post you create on a personal message board on a friends page.

5) To post your photo, now click the "submit reply" button that appears at the bottom of the grey shaded text box and your post will appear on the forum board or as a photo in a message post on your friends page.

Short Form Directions:

1) Right click on the internet web address bar of the photo you wish to post and select "copy".

2) Return to the Planet in the forum you wish to make a photo post or on your friends personal message page and select the "post-card with a stamp" icon.

3) In the drop down menu, clear out the hyper link provided and insert the web address of the photo you wish to post by right clicking your cursor and choosing "paste" to insert the web address into the drop down menu box.

4) Click "okay" on the drop down menu box. Inside the grey shaded text box, your photo will appear.

5) To publish your photo post you will finish by selecting the "submit reply" button at the bottom of the grey shaded text box. Your photo is now published on the forum board thread or in the personal message box located on your friends page.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #4
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default FAQ no. 2: How do I post a music video?

In order to post a music video, you will first need to select the "YouTube" icon which appears as the last icon in the row of icons provided in the text box provided to make a post.

1) Select the "YouTube" icon. It will appear as text inside the grey shaded text box and will look like this: [.youtube.][./youtube.]

Note: 'dots' were included in the illustration above so that the poster will know how the pre-loaded icon appears as text within the text box. There will be *NO* dots in your preloaded link.

2) Inside the youtube text, you will see a space between the bars. This is where you place part of the internet address of the link to the video post you wish to appear in your post. The portion of the video link that belongs in the space between the brackets is: everything that appears in the link after the "equal" sign.

I will use an internet link for a song by Sia, as an example
(except I removed the linking ability so you can see what I am talking about):

http:// www.youtube.com/watch? v = iRpzmAMsz90

3) Insert the characters that appear in bold lettering inside the brackets.
Click "submit reply" at the bottom of your text page and your video will now appear in published form.

_____ ______
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Red face FAQ no. 3: Sometimes the system logs me out when I'm making a post (....).

This was a question I recently asked because I was making a post and when I clicked the "submit reply" button at the bottom of the text box, I discovered that I was no longer logged into the website and I lost my post.

While I am not particularly skilled at simplifying answers to questions like these, this is what I found out about my situation.

The reason why I inadvertantly was logged out when I thought I was logged in, had to do with the "Browser" I was using and not the usual issue of needing to clear out the cache of cookies that your OS stores in the section of your OS called "history".

I'm a self taught technology geek and my notebook is not the notebook is was when I bought it. My notebook now has two different platform browsers. One platform is "Firefox" and the other platform is "Flock".

In my case, I needed to be in FireFox browser mode.
Not the other. I'm still working with the other browser
and learning what I can and cannot do with my other browser.

So, if you're having a browser issue, you might need help other than the tiny bit of help I left here. I had to ask a tech geek friend of mine about my issue because I just wasn't 'getting it' until they sat down with me and showed me, on the twin OS I have on my notebook, what my specific issues were.

I am healed, for now.

_____ ______
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,382 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

These are exactly the kinds of things everyone struggles with when getting started. I think it would be great if everyone subscribed to this thread so that when questions come up we can help each other as quickly as possible.

One issue that has happened to me, and without exception, everyone I have spoken to is the "disappearance" of a lengthy post and the frustration that comes with it. I wish I had a real answer, but some have said they thought it was a time issue, or like above, a mystery browser thing.

One habit I started after it happened to me was to just type up lengthy posts in some other text document and then copy and paste it over into the reply box. It can be a word processing document, or any note pad. I frequently use a draft in email and don't address it, just deleting it after it is posted. If I am out with just a phone, I use whatever default notepad app is handy.

*subscribed*
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation

also subscribing.

For photos, I use photo bucket and find and store images there. I find it is less likely that a photo will be deleted if i do that.

Photobucket also has an add on feature if you are using firefox you can get the add on and then right click on any picture upload it to your photobucket and then get the link codes, it is the "direct" link code you want to use for posting pics here on the planet.

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 04:22 AM   #8
Samurai Wanderer

How Do You Identify?:
It's cool!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cooky
Relationship Status:
In love

Samurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST Reputation
Question Visitor Message vs User Notes

What is the difference (if any) between Visitor Message and User Notes?
Someone posted a Visitor Message at my profile and I didn't know how to reply, so went to their profile and sent a User Note thinking it was the same thing
Samurai Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
Electrocell

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/hy

Thanked 2,770 Times in 983 Posts
Electrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Wanderer View Post
What is the difference (if any) between Visitor Message and User Notes?
Someone posted a Visitor Message at my profile and I didn't know how to reply, so went to their profile and sent a User Note thinking it was the same thing
It's according to how they have their settings set . If you can't post a visitor message it's because you aren't on their friends or contacts list. They will still get the message in their user notes however.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:55 AM   #10
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrocell View Post
It's according to how they have their settings set . If you can't post a visitor message it's because you aren't on their friends or contacts list. They will still get the message in their user notes however.
It's really to do with if you're on their friend list? I thought it was about their basic settings not about friends lists.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #11
Nomad
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
stone femme Daddy's girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
disinterested

Thanked 3,745 Times in 734 Posts
Nomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrocell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
It's really to do with if you're on their friend list? I thought it was about their basic settings not about friends lists.
i dont think this is right. in your Settings under Edit Options there's a place for you to check some boxes about accepting messaging. you can choose to do things like accept Visitor Messages from your friends and contacts ONLY if that's what you want, so if you dont check that box you can get Visitor Messages from anyone. AND you can also turn your Visitor Messages off completely. people can only leave you User Messages or Private Messages after that. (i think there's also a User Option to only get PMs from Admins. might be wrong.)
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #12
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
i dont think this is right. in your Settings under Edit Options there's a place for you to check some boxes about accepting messaging. you can choose to do things like accept Visitor Messages from your friends and contacts ONLY if that's what you want, so if you dont check that box you can get Visitor Messages from anyone. AND you can also turn your Visitor Messages off completely. people can only leave you User Messages or Private Messages after that. (i think there's also a User Option to only get PMs from Admins. might be wrong.)
I too thought that this was the case.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:41 AM   #13
Electrocell

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/hy

Electrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST Reputation

Visitor MessagingThis forum features a visitor messaging system that allows members to send messages to one another publicly.

If you do not want to receive visitor messages, you may disable the visitor messaging system.
Enable Visitor Messaging

You may limit the usage of your visitor messages to just moderators and your contacts.
Limit usage of Visitor Messages to Contacts and Moderators
Old 10-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #14
Daktari

So it's about the users personal settings? Check!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #15
Electrocell

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/hy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
So it's about the users personal settings? Check!
yep lol............
Old 10-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
Hominid

How Do You Identify?:
Male with interesting historical perspective
Relationship Status:
Taking Applications

Hominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Chat ....

I know it's been a recurring issue for some, but I haven't seen any recent topics, so I'm starting this one -
I've tried Chrome (my default browser) and Explorer - both have the same result, a generic "error" page with a list of possibilities for the error (maintenance, server issue, etc). Both browsers are up to date and pop ups not blocked for this site.

Any ideas?
Hominid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hominid View Post
I know it's been a recurring issue for some, but I haven't seen any recent topics, so I'm starting this one -
I've tried Chrome (my default browser) and Explorer - both have the same result, a generic "error" page with a list of possibilities for the error (maintenance, server issue, etc). Both browsers are up to date and pop ups not blocked for this site.

Any ideas?

Where are you trying to access chat from: front page or from within the forum area (not front page)?

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #18
Hominid

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Taking Applications

Hominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Where are you trying to access chat from: front page or from within the forum area (not front page)?
Within the forum area, mostly. Let me try from the front page.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
Hominid

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Taking Applications

Member Photo Albums

Nope. Didn't work. Here's the Chrome message I get:

The website encountered an error while retrieving http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/addonchat.php. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #20
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hominid View Post
Within the forum area, mostly. Let me try from the front page.
No.. don't (it never works from the front page and is a known issue). I'm trying to determine what the possible error is. You say it's a generic error. Are there any details that you can give? It sounds like a java issue (since the Chat uses java), either with an incorrect/incomplete version installed or the side-effect of anti-virus blocking it from running.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote