Old 07-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up Lesbians and Politics

LPAC – First of Its Kind Lesbian Political Action Committee – Launches Today

PAC to elect pro-lesbian, pro-women candidates to public office in 2012

July 11, 2012—Today a group of activists and donors launched LPAC, the first of its kind lesbian political action committee. The values-based committee sets out to positively influence policies that impact women by electing candidates who champion issues that impact lesbians and their families.

“This year we have seen politicians repeatedly support policies that harm women,” said actress and supporter Jane Lynch. “It is important to me to elect leaders who care about issues that impact women and their families. That’s why I support LPAC.”

After decades of being a small subset of players in women’s rights and LGBT rights political efforts, the women of LPAC are stepping up to get organized like never before, aiming to give lesbians a real and meaningful seat at the table. With significant resources, LPAC plans to make a true impact for lesbians in the 2012 election cycle and beyond.

“Frankly, we created LPAC because we were shocked by this past year,” said LPAC Chair and Treasurer Sarah Schmidt. “Lesbians could no longer stand by and witness continued attacks on reproductive freedoms, marriage equality, and be immersed in a political sphere where women are not given a meaningful voice in politics.”

LPAC plans to take advantage of the dramatic window of opportunity that exists to counter this onslaught of attacks by electing strong pro-women candidates to office.
LPAC will support candidates who champion a range of issues that impact lesbians and their families, Democrat or Republican, male or female, gay or straight. These values include:

-Ending discriminatory treatment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals and their families;
-Protecting access to reproductive freedom and quality healthcare; and,
-Furthering social, racial, and economic justice for all Americans.

“Members of the LGBT community are inspirational leaders and role models in every aspect of American life—from education to entertainment, from sports to science,” said sports icon and social justice pioneer Billie Jean King. “The formation of LPAC provides lesbians and the entire LGBT community a new, stronger voice and a real and respected seat at the table when politicians make policy that impacts our lives.”

LPAC will give directly to federal candidates and will also engage in key city, state, federal, and ballot campaigns through independent expenditures. LPAC is working with both women’s and LGBT political organizations in order to be most strategic and effective with its resources.

“I support LPAC because courageous elected officials who support women’s rights, fairness, and equality for all of us deserve our unconditional support,” said Laura Ricketts, LPAC advisory board member and director and part owner of the Chicago Cubs.

Longtime LGBT movement leader, and LPAC advisory board member, who helped spearhead the effort, Urvashi Vaid, said: “I’m involved in starting LPAC because I want to create fresh politics, one in which the lives of ordinary working women and men, LGBT people and people of color matter, and because I believe lesbians must step up and lead in solving our country’s challenges.”

For a full list of advisory board members, see below.

LPAC is a political action committee dedicated to one goal: influencing elections by giving lesbians a meaningful seat at the political table. www.teamlpac.com
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote