Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Finding Your People - Special Groups

Finding Your People - Special Groups Are you a member of AA? Neurodiverse? a Vegan? Find your people here!

Old 03-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #81
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,621 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I use to love playing raquetball! But the action is too fast for me now and I hit with my bad arm, so no can play anymore. Someday!

We just got back from hauling huge boxes of every kind of hanger you can imagine, into the store's storage. And fixtures. So many diff ways to hang clothes! I got a special gold bar and chain so i can hang it off the ceiling high to hang my wedding and evening gowns. Beautiful!

I still have another load to do. The couple I am getting this stuff from were scrabbling so I had to call it a day. If I tried to do a second load I think they would have divorced,lol. Moving things out from one's dream crashing (she had to close down her store) is so stressful. So Monday I go back...

I was dancing with the mannequin's yesterday. Tralalalala....my own music, my own theme song...a cross between Rocky and Bambi's theme songs..lol
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #82
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

thanks to a wonderful benefactor, I was able to layaway two beautiful showcases for my jewelry. Not only am I selling store bought jewerly, I have local artists who are making/designing special lines for my store that cannot be purchased anywhere but in my store!

Here is what one of them looks like! They light up and lock!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #83
1QuirkyKiwi

How Do You Identify?:
BBW. Unique femininity that does not encompass the western paradigm.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything Respectful!
Relationship Status:
Single, Happy, not Desparate or Looking, but Open to Possibilities...

Thanked 6,035 Times in 1,617 Posts
1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation

My Doctors Surgery has recently been taken over by a new set of GPs; there's a part of me this is nervous because they see my size and weight and automatically assume I'm unhealthy.

The precious GP at my practice was a locum covering for my old GP who has sold the practice after having a baby. He was insisting my weight was an issue on two grounds;
1. Was my blood work (he reckoned my Cholesterol would be high and my Liver Function Tests would be high also).
2. That I had Arthritis in my Spine.

He sent me for another MRI and I cheekily added to the request form that a copy of the results go to my Consultants.

My MRI test results do not show any signs of Arthritis at all! Both my Consultants showed me the scan of my Spine. What is clearly seen is my complicated form of Spina Bifida Occulta. My joints (including my Pelvis) are clear; meaning no sigh of deterioration leading to Arthritis.

Both of my Consultants have said that my Spine (despite my SB) is very strong and well looked after.

My blood results (except my Hb, RBC and Ferritin levels due to my Alpha-Thalassaemia, which are always in my boots, which are down stairs in the shoe cabinet, lol!) are well within normal and healthy ranges. My Cholesterol is 3.3 and my fasting Glucose Serum is 3.6. The UK range is 2.5 - 7.8.

My hope is that my new GP will see these results and not judge me on my size and weight!

I've always believed that being a BBW doesn't mean that the woman's health is bad. It's not possible to see what's going on inside our bodies, but, being fat is not necessarily a time bomb waiting to go off!

Mis Tia, Good Luck with your new venture! I hope the shop is a great success!

Last edited by 1QuirkyKiwi; 03-18-2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: To add...
1QuirkyKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 1QuirkyKiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #84
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

So true! And I am so happy to hear your news. Thanks so much for sharing.

Luckily I don't have medical issues that require frequent trips to the doctor, but for those who do, many doctors take the easy way out of helping us, blaming weight on issues that have nothing to do with the actual issue. I wouldn't say I have a "fat positive" doctor per se, but he also has never used my weight as a reason not to successfully address any problem that I've had over the years. My weight is not brought up unless I bring it up. I'm thankful for that, and it's a big reason why I keep him! What a danger it is for all the people who have to go to doctors and hear the same trite diet advice and fat phobic, ignorant shaming, while treatable problems are left not addressed. It's no wonder fat people sometimes avoid the doctor because of this! Each of us is worth finding the right doctor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuirkyKiwi View Post

I've always believed that being a BBW doesn't mean that the woman's health is bad. It's not possible to see what's going on inside our bodies, but, being fat is not necessarily a time bomb waiting to go off!
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #85
istolurboxers38

How Do You Identify?:
redneck femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her, she, babygirl
Relationship Status:
single

istolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputation
Default fluffy and happy

I have struggled with my weight most of my life. My parents were one that filled my plate and made me finish everything. I am so happy that the kids are participating in my new transformation. I dont want to loose that much or be a stick but become healthier. I have a hard time playing raquetball with my knee it has the arthritis and have to experiemtn with cortozone shots. Has anyone had those? I need to know what to expect. I told the doc I would try it once if it didnt help I wouldnt go back. I am trying to leave my old life and my past and become a new person. Does anyone else have a list of things they want to change?
istolurboxers38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to istolurboxers38 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #86
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

when I had no medical coverage after first returning to Ohio, I went to a free clinic. I could barely move, the pain was excruciating. I shuffled. I couldnt sit for any period of time and actually had to lay on floors if i went places, if the time last more than an hour. Life was horrible for me and I was so depressed. I needed medication to ease the back spasms and to get me back on thyroid meds, anti depression meds, etc. medicines that would allow me to live without feeling like a walking tomb of pain.

I had a Dr at this free clinic who would not focus on my symptoms. He focused on my fat. He said he wanted me to lose weight before he would give me meds. I was told to give up all animal products and go on a vegetarian diet. That was all nice but I had no money for food at the time and was getting free food from the churches and veggies was not part of their plan. He scolded me everytime I came in. I wept often. I begged for meds. He gave me synthroid finally and that was it.

When i got into the Bureau of Vocational Rehab, BVR, my case manager took one look at me, picked up the phone and ordered my medicines for me thru that Dr and paid for them. If not for her intervention, he would have punished me forever for being fat. As soon as I had my meds in me and they were working, I started losing weight. I was more active and my metabolism increased. But it wasnt the weight. i had MEDICAL CONDITIONS that caused my pain. My weight didnt cause them!

I look back on those days and wonder how I survived. And its amazing I survived and how far I have come in a few years! Fatopia now! LOL
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #87
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Hi, I am a cortisone success story. It was a miracle for me. Years ago I developed a progressively more excruciating pain in my left hip such that I began to use a cane! This went on for a year! Of course, family and "friends" told me I'd better lose weight or expect to live this way forever. I went to my doctor, and he told me I had bursitis in my hip and gave me a single quick shot of cortisone before I could even think twice about it. The pain went away what felt like over night, and it NEVER came back, EVER (Everyone still told me that this was only temporary, that I really needed to "lose the weight" or it would come back. Guess what, it's been almost ten years and not a moment of pain!). It was a reminder to me not to avoid a doctor because everyone around us ascribes our health problems to our weight. And, for those who don't yet have one, finding a doctor who doesn't only see through the "fat is the problem" lens is worth all the frustration so that we can be healthiest as possible at whatever weight we are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by istolurboxers38 View Post
I have a hard time playing raquetball with my knee it has the arthritis and have to experiemtn with cortozone shots. Has anyone had those? I need to know what to expect. I told the doc I would try it once if it didnt help I wouldnt go back.
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #88
istolurboxers38

How Do You Identify?:
redneck femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her, she, babygirl
Relationship Status:
single

istolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputationistolurboxers38 Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you NYC Femme I been a CNA and worked around ppl that have gotten the shots, but they have all had other things wrong with them too. I never knew if it helped or didnt and I know one person it didnt help. I really hope that it helps. My weight goes up and goes down, I think I just have gotten to the point I need to stop fighting it. If I loose it I loose it if not then oh well. It just gets hard sometimes because some people wont stop to see the person on the inside if you dont look a certain way on the outside.
istolurboxers38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to istolurboxers38 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #89
1QuirkyKiwi

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything Respectful!
Relationship Status:

1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
So true! And I am so happy to hear your news. Thanks so much for sharing.

Luckily I don't have medical issues that require frequent trips to the doctor, but for those who do, many doctors take the easy way out of helping us, blaming weight on issues that have nothing to do with the actual issue. I wouldn't say I have a "fat positive" doctor per se, but he also has never used my weight as a reason not to successfully address any problem that I've had over the years. My weight is not brought up unless I bring it up. I'm thankful for that, and it's a big reason why I keep him! What a danger it is for all the people who have to go to doctors and hear the same trite diet advice and fat phobic, ignorant shaming, while treatable problems are left not addressed. It's no wonder fat people sometimes avoid the doctor because of this! Each of us is worth finding the right doctor!
Thank you!

I’ve had Doctors in the past that have been more accepting of Plus Size patients. There is a trend in the UK in recent years where children and adults of normal weight and above are being targeted as unhealthy with no existing health issues.

A recent trend here is GPs being Fat phobic and using it as a prognosis for a person’s ill health. They have targets to meet on certain health issues; for every target they achieve they receive a large sum of money. Healthcare here has changed for the worst.

Back home, we have a 3 tier health system with those who can’t afford health care being subsidised. Unfortunately, a lot of health care professionals prefer to work overseas. When I decide to return home to live, I will be forced to lose weight, yet, NZ is one of the countries with the highest population of people who are Plus Size. The majority are Polynesian. Somehow, I’m expected to change my DNA and lose weight to live in my home country. It’s ludicrous!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1QuirkyKiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #90
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
What is clearly seen is my complicated form of Spina Bifida Occulta.
I have this too!!! Do you find that when your back hurts, it hurts really, really, really bad?

Old 03-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #91
1QuirkyKiwi

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything Respectful!
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by istolurboxers38 View Post
I have struggled with my weight most of my life. My parents were one that filled my plate and made me finish everything. I am so happy that the kids are participating in my new transformation. I dont want to loose that much or be a stick but become healthier. I have a hard time playing raquetball with my knee it has the arthritis and have to experiemtn with cortozone shots. Has anyone had those? I need to know what to expect. I told the doc I would try it once if it didnt help I wouldnt go back. I am trying to leave my old life and my past and become a new person. Does anyone else have a list of things they want to change?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Tia View Post
when I had no medical coverage after first returning to Ohio, I went to a free clinic. I could barely move, the pain was excruciating. I shuffled. I couldnt sit for any period of time and actually had to lay on floors if i went places, if the time last more than an hour. Life was horrible for me and I was so depressed. I needed medication to ease the back spasms and to get me back on thyroid meds, anti depression meds, etc. medicines that would allow me to live without feeling like a walking tomb of pain.

I had a Dr at this free clinic who would not focus on my symptoms. He focused on my fat. He said he wanted me to lose weight before he would give me meds. I was told to give up all animal products and go on a vegetarian diet. That was all nice but I had no money for food at the time and was getting free food from the churches and veggies was not part of their plan. He scolded me everytime I came in. I wept often. I begged for meds. He gave me synthroid finally and that was it.

When i got into the Bureau of Vocational Rehab, BVR, my case manager took one look at me, picked up the phone and ordered my medicines for me thru that Dr and paid for them. If not for her intervention, he would have punished me forever for being fat. As soon as I had my meds in me and they were working, I started losing weight. I was more active and my metabolism increased. But it wasnt the weight. i had MEDICAL CONDITIONS that caused my pain. My weight didnt cause them!

I look back on those days and wonder how I survived. And its amazing I survived and how far I have come in a few years! Fatopia now! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
Hi, I am a cortisone success story. It was a miracle for me. Years ago I developed a progressively more excruciating pain in my left hip such that I began to use a cane! This went on for a year! Of course, family and "friends" told me I'd better lose weight or expect to live this way forever. I went to my doctor, and he told me I had bursitis in my hip and gave me a single quick shot of cortisone before I could even think twice about it. The pain went away what felt like over night, and it NEVER came back, EVER (Everyone still told me that this was only temporary, that I really needed to "lose the weight" or it would come back. Guess what, it's been almost ten years and not a moment of pain!). It was a reminder to me not to avoid a doctor because everyone around us ascribes our health problems to our weight. And, for those who don't yet have one, finding a doctor who doesn't only see through the "fat is the problem" lens is worth all the frustration so that we can be healthiest as possible at whatever weight we are!

After my accident last year I was given an Epidural Cortizone Injection. It's not usually done on SB suffers and only has a 50% of success; on my it only worked about 30%, lasting for a few days. I suffered the worst headache I've ever had for nearly a week afterwards. I'm not sure if it was an allergic reaction to the steroid used or from the actual Epidural itself (a common side affect). Either way, I'm in no hurry to have any more in the future, although I've been refered for pain management.

Both my Consultants admitted that my size prevented my from being permenantly paralysed or worse!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1QuirkyKiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #92
1QuirkyKiwi

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything Respectful!
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneyDoll View Post
I have this too!!! Do you find that when your back hurts, it hurts really, really, really bad?

When my back is in spasm the pain is unbearable! Then I need crutches to walk and I'm a hooligan on them! LOL! I have constant pain which is managable a lot of the time. I have a tethered Spinal Cord which caiuses further issues.

I'm fortunate that I have a strong back and I do a lot of Yoga to help with pain management. When I was a competitive swimmer in my teens, I would get severe cramp in my back and legs. I took up Iyengar Yoga which helped to relax my muscles.

May I ask; have you had any treatments for your SBO?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1QuirkyKiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #93
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
When my back is in spasm the pain is unbearable! Then I need crutches to walk and I'm a hooligan on them! LOL! I have constant pain which is managable a lot of the time. I have a tethered Spinal Cord which caiuses further issues.

I'm fortunate that I have a strong back and I do a lot of Yoga to help with pain management. When I was a competitive swimmer in my teens, I would get severe cramp in my back and legs. I took up Iyengar Yoga which helped to relax my muscles.

May I ask; have you had any treatments for your SBO?
No, I have not. I am in between primary care MDs at the moment and really am so stretched for time that I keep putting it off.

Typical for me

Old 03-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #94
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

so my landlord STILL has not done the carpets but he has made me a key finally. Progress! LOL.

I got to spend an entire day with horses yesterday. if you know me, you know how much I love horses and need them in my life. Well, today I cant walk. I cant sit up. I am in so much pain but its glorious pain! People who knew me before my surgery all squealed over the weight I had lost.But then they all said, "gee, we thought you would get skinny"

seriously? Another round of "your surgery was a failure. Doesnt matter that I can breath and my stumach isnt coming out of my mouth anymore...geee...

so tomorrow I go into my store ("my store" omg..it sounds so good!) and start to put together my office. Photos, files, decor, etc. I need to make it my special place.

Maybe i am emotional...but honestly I just wanted to cry when i typed "my store"...

I am so glad I have this place to come to and talk about it too. It means so much to me that there is a group of people who understand and can relate to why this is so important to me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #95
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Thank you!

<snip>

A recent trend here is GPs being Fat phobic and using it as a prognosis for a person’s ill health. They have targets to meet on certain health issues; for every target they achieve they receive a large sum of money. Healthcare here has changed for the worst.

Back home, we have a 3 tier health system with those who can’t afford health care being subsidised.

<snip>

What you are saying about how GPs are paid is not really true. Here is a link that explains how docs in the UK are being paid under the new contract.

http://www.bma.org.uk/press_centre/p...p#.T2jtiBHy_Qg

How general practice is funded

Almost all funding in the current contract is practice-based. This means that payments are made to the practice and not to individual GPs. Expenses - for example, rent, utility bills and staff wages - are taken out of this funding pot and the amount remaining, after the cost of providing clinical services has been taken out, makes up the pay available to the GP partners.

The funding formula is extremely complex and funding is distributed to practices according to the weighted needs of their population - for example a practice with a large elderly population, and therefore a greater workload, will get more funding than a practice with a relatively young, healthy population.

GP practices receive their funding through several major streams, though the main ones are the Global Sum, the Quality and Outcomes Framework (QOF), and Enhanced Services:

Here is an abstract from Health Affairs (www.healthaffairs.org)

Quality Incentives: The Case Of U.K. General Practitioners
Peter C. Smith and Nick York

Abstract

The United Kingdom is implementing major changes to the national contract for general practitioners (GPs). A central plank of the new arrangements is an ambitious scheme to reward high-quality care. Each general practice will be scored on 146 performance indicators according to the measured quality of care it delivers, and its accumulated score will determine the magnitude of the quality payment it receives. About 18 percent of practice earnings will be at risk. This paper describes the incentive scheme, discusses its potential benefits and risks, and draws out the implications for evaluation.

One of the things that has happened under this new contract is the significantly increased number of folks being diagnosed with diabetes. It has been written up in several medical journals.

It is my understanding that New Zealand has a two-tiered payment system, although I have not done recent research on their system. (I lived in NZ in early 2000 and received health care there...)

There are plenty of inaccuracies about how nationalized health care works in other countries being said in the US. I just hate seeing more put out there.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #96
1QuirkyKiwi

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything Respectful!
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
What you are saying about how GPs are paid is not really true. Here is a link that explains how docs in the UK are being paid under the new contract.

http://www.bma.org.uk/press_centre/p...p#.T2jtiBHy_Qg

How general practice is funded

Almost all funding in the current contract is practice-based. This means that payments are made to the practice and not to individual GPs. Expenses - for example, rent, utility bills and staff wages - are taken out of this funding pot and the amount remaining, after the cost of providing clinical services has been taken out, makes up the pay available to the GP partners.

The funding formula is extremely complex and funding is distributed to practices according to the weighted needs of their population - for example a practice with a large elderly population, and therefore a greater workload, will get more funding than a practice with a relatively young, healthy population.

GP practices receive their funding through several major streams, though the main ones are the Global Sum, the Quality and Outcomes Framework (QOF), and Enhanced Services:

Here is an abstract from Health Affairs (www.healthaffairs.org)

Quality Incentives: The Case Of U.K. General Practitioners
Peter C. Smith and Nick York

Abstract

The United Kingdom is implementing major changes to the national contract for general practitioners (GPs). A central plank of the new arrangements is an ambitious scheme to reward high-quality care. Each general practice will be scored on 146 performance indicators according to the measured quality of care it delivers, and its accumulated score will determine the magnitude of the quality payment it receives. About 18 percent of practice earnings will be at risk. This paper describes the incentive scheme, discusses its potential benefits and risks, and draws out the implications for evaluation.

One of the things that has happened under this new contract is the significantly increased number of folks being diagnosed with diabetes. It has been written up in several medical journals.

It is my understanding that New Zealand has a two-tiered payment system, although I have not done recent research on their system. (I lived in NZ in early 2000 and received health care there...)

There are plenty of inaccuracies about how nationalized health care works in other countries being said in the US. I just hate seeing more put out there.
My cousin works for the same NHS I’m talking about and has done for many years. He has known of the financial incentives being paid to GPs. Several Locum Doctors have been prosecuted in recent years for misusing funds.

In NZ Primary Care (GPs) and medications on the list of the New Zealand government agency require co-payments, but are subsidised, especially for patients with community health services cards or high user health cards; low income families and the disabled. Surgeries and other medical treatments are paid for by health insurance schemes for members privately. Those that can be for treatment, do.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1QuirkyKiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #97
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Me in this color

Quote:
My cousin works for the same NHS I’m talking about and has done for many years. He has known of the financial incentives being paid to GPs. Several Locum Doctors have been prosecuted in recent years for misusing funds.

This statement is different from your original statement. Fraud exists in every health care system and is a very small percentage of the cost of health care. There are fraud task forces in the UK that address that issue. It's not some huge percentage of GPs that commit fraud. It's more like several as you said. If I remember correctly, in the entire US, the large overwhelmingly majority of fraud is committed by less than 100 clinicians.

In NZ Primary Care (GPs) and medications on the list of the New Zealand government agency require co-payments, but are subsidised, especially for patients with community health services cards or high user health cards; low income families and the disabled. Surgeries and other medical treatments are paid for by health insurance schemes for members privately. Those that can be for treatment, do.

My picky point was you said a 3 tiered system. My understanding (and what you describe) is a two-tiered system. What you describe is pretty much the same as it was when I lived there. I had co-pays for both primary care and prescriptions and all I payed was the co-pay. I thought overall I received great care in NZ.

As I said I hate inaccuracies. Anyway....back to the fat positive talk
I will not assimilate

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #98
1QuirkyKiwi

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything Respectful!
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Me in this color

As I said I hate inaccuracies. Anyway....back to the fat positive talk
No disrespect intended in this discussion; having been raised in NZ and living in the UK for the past 5 years my statements are not inaccurate. They are based on my own knowledge and experience as well of that of my cousin, as I mentioned before.

He has asked several of the Doctors he works with, how the system ‘really works’ and not what is detailed on the internet.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #99
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Quote:
No disrespect intended in this discussion; having been raised in NZ and living in the UK for the past 5 years my statements are not inaccurate. They are based on my own knowledge and experience as well of that of my cousin, as I mentioned before.

He has asked several of the Doctors he works with, how the system ‘really works’ and not what is detailed on the internet.

I do believe the British Medical Association.....they negotiated the contract with the government on behalf of doctors..........is a highly reputable organization. What they say is factual.

Health Affairs is the leading journal of health policy thought and research. The peer-reviewed journal was founded in 1981 under the aegis of Project HOPE, a nonprofit international health education organization. Health Affairs explores health policy issues of current concern in both domestic (US) and international spheres.

Neither of my references are from just any place on the net. Both are highly respected and are factual. Your opinion is not fact.....no disrespect intended.
I will not assimilate

The Following User Says Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #100
1QuirkyKiwi

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything Respectful!
Relationship Status:

Quote:
I do believe the British Medical Association.....they negotiated the contract with the government on behalf of doctors..........is a highly reputable organization. What they say is factual.

Health Affairs is the leading journal of health policy thought and research. The peer-reviewed journal was founded in 1981 under the aegis of Project HOPE, a nonprofit international health education organization. Health Affairs explores health policy issues of current concern in both domestic (US) and international spheres.

Neither of my references are from just any place on the net. Both are highly respected and are factual. Your opinion is not fact.....no disrespect intended.
On this matter, it’s best if we just agree to disagree! …And as you say; back to the fat positive talk.