Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 03-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #281
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Paleo Walnut Crackers

http://elanaspantry.com/paleo-walnut-crackers/
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2015, 11:41 AM   #282
femmeandstrong

How Do You Identify?:
just me...imperfect but warm-hearted me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I am alright and still smiling - keeping my eyes on what lasts and matters

Thanked 1,040 Times in 279 Posts
femmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I make my mac and cheese with white wine in the sauce...7 min pasta ( with well salted cookg water ) and some hot sauce in it...
then I bake it with the topping of... stale baguette into food processor with rosmary and chives....then tossed in melted butter ...
add to top of pasta ... bake on 400 for maybe 20mins ( assuming u just made the pasta and sauce )

if I ever find time... I can add a photo...
)
femmeandstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to femmeandstrong For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 06:09 AM   #283
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmeandstrong View Post
I make my mac and cheese with white wine in the sauce...7 min pasta ( with well salted cookg water ) and some hot sauce in it...
then I bake it with the topping of... stale baguette into food processor with rosmary and chives....then tossed in melted butter ...
add to top of pasta ... bake on 400 for maybe 20mins ( assuming u just made the pasta and sauce )

)
How do you make that low carb? Do you use a specific pasta or baquette that is designed to be lower in carbs?

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 06:37 AM   #284
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,800 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
How do you make that low carb? Do you use a specific pasta or baquette that is designed to be lower in carbs?
I was wondering that too, Gemme.

Sounds delicious but I could not figure out how it could be low carb with bread and pasta. Oh and the sauce and butter.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #285
Cailin

How Do You Identify?:
Female.. and it's pronounced "cah-leen", not cay-lin
Preferred Pronoun?:
You
Relationship Status:
In one

Thanked 2,630 Times in 739 Posts
Cailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
I was wondering that too, Gemme.

Sounds delicious but I could not figure out how it could be low carb with bread and pasta. Oh and the sauce and butter.

just off the top of my head, i think you could do low carb pasta, BUT!

You could probably do this to make it low carb: use cauliflower instead of the pasta, and use low carb bread OR use almond flour and add seasoning. that would give it a crunch to it. As far as the wine sauce, there is no way to make alcohol low carb, so you'd have to pass it entirely and probably substitute just heavy cream, butter, and the cheese. toss the cauliflower and cheese sauce together, and put the almond flour and butter stuff (or low carb bead crumbs with butter) ontop and bake.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #286
femmeandstrong

How Do You Identify?:
just me...imperfect but warm-hearted me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I am alright and still smiling - keeping my eyes on what lasts and matters

Thanked 1,040 Times in 279 Posts
femmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputationfemmeandstrong Has the BEST Reputation

It is low carb by eatg it in small quantities... with a huge salad to balance it all out ...and some fresh fruit...

)
femmeandstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to femmeandstrong For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #287
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
It is low carb by eatg it in small quantities... with a huge salad to balance it all out ...and some fresh fruit...

)
Hi femmeandstrong and thank you for joining us.

Generally speaking Paleo folks and low carbers try to stay away from breads, pastas etc. as much as possible. Salad and fruit have carbs as well so even if you eat the mac n cheese in small quantities, the carb intake for that meal is going to be high.

For example: 1 apple has 25 grams of carbs. This is why many who stick to a Paleo/low carb eating plan do not eat a lot of fruit, but do eat many different vegetables, meats, and healthy fats like coconut oil, nuts, olives etc. There is more information on the back pages if you are interested.

“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #288
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,579 Times in 2,649 Posts
ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

Well we (wife and I) finally started the Whole30-- we're on day 2. Actually we started Sunday, but didn't officially start recording our progress till Monday. I haven't noticed much of change from things except of how many cups of vegetables I'm eating and what I haven't been eating in the past. It's really insane.

Of what I've read about the whole30, I'm hoping it will help with a few issues I've been dealing with as of lately with my health. I don't share much but I've been out of work since November 2014 due to lung issues and have been on oxygen since. I'm hoping that by cutting out the inflammatory foods such as dairy (butter, cheese, cream), sugars (cane sugar, maple, honey) that I'll see or feel a difference within myself. I have also had issues in the past with elevated blood sugars. When I first started my paleo way of eating, I did notice that my levels started to decrease. But I hit a plateau and haven't moved much since then. My goal is to drop to normal ranges-not high normal but in middle of NR. I also would love to lose more weight-- but I'm not putting that as an high goal because I don't want to be let down if I don't lose the ideal weight I have in my mind. I think because it's a number and the larger the number the more one would freak- but I think how we feel and how our body image is a whole should matter. Before starting- I didn't step on scale or measure myself, but I did take a picture of what I look like in a mirror.

So-- I've been blogging everything down in my whole30 experience via fb and sharing pictures of what I've been eating and writing down how I'm feeling. It's only day 2-- nothing really to report as of yet. Only that I feel more full when I eat more veggies, and I am craving less 'snacks' during the day. It's especially hard because I'm home and I get bored so of course I just want to eat-- but nope, haven't felt that way yet.

Some meals we've been enjoying-- pork carnitas (crockpot) served over lime, cilantro cauliflower rice with green chile and topped with spinach/baby kale mixture. Rainbow chard w/ apples, sweet potato/zucchini hash, and chicken chunks. Spaghetti sauce w/ mushrooms, basil, beef, onion, garlic served over zucchini noodles. Tonight- I'm making a frittata or quiche w/ sweet potato crust, eggs, broccoli, garlic, green chile sausage served with either a salad or cucumbers.

Do you have any suggestions of recipes that are whole30 compliant? Don't know what the heck I'm talking about-- and want to know more, read here ---> whole30.

I'll try to report back more often--

Oh and Jesse, those crackers are good. Have you made them yet? They are super good with bacon & onion jam!
ahk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 05:58 PM   #289
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Ahk,

I haven't tried them yet. I just found the recipe a few days ago, but everything I have made from that her site has been good, so I figured these would be too.

Sorry to hear you have been having health issues. I hope you are able to resolve them in the near future.

I've read up on the Whole 30 but have not tried it. I have, however, gotten back into juicing (mostly vegetables) and find that I feel best physically and emotionally when I drink a 16 oz glass of that everyday. The other added benefit is that I have lost weight since I started doing this.

Do take care of yourself,

Jesse
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #290
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahk View Post
Well we (wife and I) finally started the Whole30-- we're on day 2. Actually we started Sunday, but didn't officially start recording our progress till Monday. I haven't noticed much of change from things except of how many cups of vegetables I'm eating and what I haven't been eating in the past. It's really insane.

Of what I've read about the whole30, I'm hoping it will help with a few issues I've been dealing with as of lately with my health. I don't share much but I've been out of work since November 2014 due to lung issues and have been on oxygen since. I'm hoping that by cutting out the inflammatory foods such as dairy (butter, cheese, cream), sugars (cane sugar, maple, honey) that I'll see or feel a difference within myself. I have also had issues in the past with elevated blood sugars. When I first started my paleo way of eating, I did notice that my levels started to decrease. But I hit a plateau and haven't moved much since then. My goal is to drop to normal ranges-not high normal but in middle of NR. I also would love to lose more weight-- but I'm not putting that as an high goal because I don't want to be let down if I don't lose the ideal weight I have in my mind. I think because it's a number and the larger the number the more one would freak- but I think how we feel and how our body image is a whole should matter. Before starting- I didn't step on scale or measure myself, but I did take a picture of what I look like in a mirror.

So-- I've been blogging everything down in my whole30 experience via fb and sharing pictures of what I've been eating and writing down how I'm feeling. It's only day 2-- nothing really to report as of yet. Only that I feel more full when I eat more veggies, and I am craving less 'snacks' during the day. It's especially hard because I'm home and I get bored so of course I just want to eat-- but nope, haven't felt that way yet.

Some meals we've been enjoying-- pork carnitas (crockpot) served over lime, cilantro cauliflower rice with green chile and topped with spinach/baby kale mixture. Rainbow chard w/ apples, sweet potato/zucchini hash, and chicken chunks. Spaghetti sauce w/ mushrooms, basil, beef, onion, garlic served over zucchini noodles. Tonight- I'm making a frittata or quiche w/ sweet potato crust, eggs, broccoli, garlic, green chile sausage served with either a salad or cucumbers.

Do you have any suggestions of recipes that are whole30 compliant? Don't know what the heck I'm talking about-- and want to know more, read here ---> whole30.

I'll try to report back more often--

Oh and Jesse, those crackers are good. Have you made them yet? They are super good with bacon & onion jam!
If you are avoiding foods that may cause inflammation, you'll want to stay away from nightshade foods. Some of them you already do, due to the nature of Paleo/etc.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #291
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

True Dat! Good call, Gemme!

Quote:
If you are avoiding foods that may cause inflammation, you'll want to stay away from nightshade foods. Some of them you already do, due to the nature of Paleo/etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #292
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Ahk,

I haven't tried them yet. I just found the recipe a few days ago, but everything I have made from that her site has been good, so I figured these would be too.

Sorry to hear you have been having health issues. I hope you are able to resolve them in the near future.

I've read up on the Whole 30 but have not tried it. I have, however, gotten back into juicing (mostly vegetables) and find that I feel best physically and emotionally when I drink a 16 oz glass of that everyday. The other added benefit is that I have lost weight since I started doing this.

Do take care of yourself,

Jesse
Thanks Jesse. Zenbelly also has really good crackers. Check them out!!

Quote:
Nightshades don't bother me so much as dairy does-- but thank you for the headsup.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #293
Cailin

How Do You Identify?:
Female.. and it's pronounced "cah-leen", not cay-lin
Preferred Pronoun?:
You
Relationship Status:
In one

Thanked 2,630 Times in 739 Posts
Cailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST Reputation

I don't follow a lot of people/sites on facebook, but one that I do is "Low CarbZen". They posted a Pizza Spaghetti Squash Casserole. We finally made it the other night, and even though my arteries were clogging as I put all the ingredients together, the final result was delicious!

and in all honestly, the ingredients aren't all that clogging. it's 1 cup of cheese for the entire 9x9 pan, and I only used 11 large pepperoni slices (I get them fresh sliced from the deli). However, never time I think i'll add some marinated artichokes to the dish, just to give some extra vegetables. The servings are pretty big, and great with a side salad.

http://holisticallyengineered.com/20...casserole.html

Net Carb Count*: 8.05 g net carbs (for 1 serving)--makes 6 servings

Total Carb Count: 11.12 g total carbs (for 1 serving)
Old 03-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #294
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Good article.

http://whole30.com/2015/03/whole30-spiralize/

Enjoy!
Old 03-19-2015, 01:57 PM   #295
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Well we're 18 days into our whole30-- and it's going good.
I've learned how to make things from scratch -- bbq sauce w/ no sugar, ketchup, homemade nut milks, homemade nut butters, mayo, stir fry sauces, mustard.
I'm learning that I don't have headaches as I use too.
I'm learning that I didn't eat enough vegetables and fruit before.
I'm learning what my stomach actually does when its digesting food or when I'm actually hungry.
It's been fun-- but annoying too.

How is everyone doing? Ready for spring/summer foods and if so, like what? I've been eating asparagus like it's going out of season. and dill chicken salad.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #296
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,088 Times in 8,590 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation
Default An Easy Salmon Recipe for Weeknight Meals

Salmon and Anchovy Butter

I love salmon and anchovies, so I'm dyin' to make this. Gonna give it a shot this weekend.

Maybe I'll add asparagus or turnips on the side—something mild, I think.
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2015, 05:08 AM   #297
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,088 Times in 8,590 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation
Default Friday Five from the Slender Kitchen

Friday Five: High Protein Low Carb Breakfast Ideas

From the SlenderKitchen.com:

Lately it seems that more and more people are moving towards lower carbohydrate diets in some form. For some this means severely limiting carbohydrates and cutting out grains, legumes, breads, and even most fruit. For others it means making a more concerted effort to consume less carbohydrates, eliminate gluten, or just make smarter decisions about what types of carbohydrates they consume. Personally I try to make smarter choices about carbohydrates – choosing whole grains and unprocessed foods and also try to make sure they are more of a “side dish” to my meal as opposed to the main focus.

One meal I am doing this most days of the week is breakfast. I usually try and prepare a high protein, low carb dish and pair it with some fresh fruit. Reaching for something with a lot of protein is the key for staying full all morning. Here are some of my favorite high protein, low carb breakfasts? What are yours?

1. Turkey Sausage, Spinach, and Egg Wrap, 262 calories, 6 PointsPlus®

2. Greek Yogurt and Flax Pancakes with Berries, 235 calories, 5 PointsPlus®

3. Low Carb Almond Joy Pancakes, 266 calories, 7 PointsPlus®

4. Yogurt Chia Seed Pudding, 251 calories, 5 PointsPlus®

5. Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes, 118 calories, 3 PointsPlus®
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #298
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

My new favorite food is Mini Pepper Nachos! You know, those multi-color mini peppers in the produce section? Well, I wash them & then cut them in half and fill them with diced chicken, or cooked ground meat, diced tomato, green onions, black beans, diced avocado, a little salsa...really just whatever veggies you have on hand than can withstand being plopped into half of a mini pepper, sprinkled with cheese and placed under the broiler for 2-3 minutes. If you need a recipe just Google- Mini Pepper Nachos, there are numerous step by step recipes, but I prefer to do my own thing in this case. Enjoy!

P.S. Yes I realize beans aren't Paleo, but I like black beans and they are high in protein, so I eat them on occasion.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #299
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

This is a good salad for breakfast or any other time. I add raw baby spinach to mine.

http://fedandfit.com/2014/01/28/the-breakfast-salad-2/
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2015, 11:04 AM   #300
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

I'm into Kale right now.

Kale chips.
Kale sauteed.
Kale in smoothies.
Kale that is massaged.

MMM, kale.

Thank goodness for farm markets open now. Our fridge has about 3 bags of kale in it-- and it had 4 bunches of rainbow chard but that was sauteed with green apples and onions. We eat that for breakfast.

Tags
carbs, healthy fats, high protein, low carbs, paleo