Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Give me a break. It is just putting up one more obstacle to deter women from having an abortion.

They must sit for hours thinking up new and more innovative ways to discourage women from having abortions and to hound women into carrying an unwanted fetus to term.

I don't call them the right-to-lifers.

To me, the appropriate name is the forced-child-bearing faction.

Chip, chip, chip-little by little, state by state; a woman's right to control her own goddamn body is being taken away.

Welcome to America. Circa 2012.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #2162
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,662 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

What is happening to women via these misguided elected officials is nothing short of disgusting. We seem to all agree on this.

I have a harder time calling the new requirements a rape thing tho. I do see it as a terrible mind fuck morality thing. I do see it as a power gone wonky in service to certain beliefs thing. I do see it as an imposition and a means of a deterrent.

Rape? I cant see that. I cant see the professionals now charged with this requirement as being anything but sensitive to the fact that this is intrusive, unnecessary, and a moral rather than a medical thing. I cant see these professionals being anything but kind and gentle in explaining this to women just as they would explain any other aspect of the process. I cant see them being anything but gentle in doing the actual procedure itself.

I have had one. In my experience it was less uncomfortable than a regular gyn exam. Spectulums are not fun things especially in male hands. If you use a regular dildo device or have sex with a penis.....same thing, same shape, only longer.

I also have in the back of my mind that to do the actual abortion, they have to stick scary looking instruments up the same canal and into the uterus itself.

Consent is something you give to a procedure which includes a process. If you dont consent, I have a hard time envisioning anymore forcing the issue. No consent, no procedure.

So, what am I missing here? Are we reacting to the fucked up requirement being imposed? Are we reacting to the shape of the instrument? I really feel like I am missing something here.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #2163
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

What is happening to women via these misguided elected officials is nothing short of disgusting. We seem to all agree on this.

I have a harder time calling the new requirements a rape thing tho. I do see it as a terrible mind fuck morality thing. I do see it as a power gone wonky in service to certain beliefs thing. I do see it as an imposition and a means of a deterrent.

Rape? I cant see that. I cant see the professionals now charged with this requirement as being anything but sensitive to the fact that this is intrusive, unnecessary, and a moral rather than a medical thing. I cant see these professionals being anything but kind and gentle in explaining this to women just as they would explain any other aspect of the process. I cant see them being anything but gentle in doing the actual procedure itself.

I have had one. In my experience it was less uncomfortable than a regular gyn exam. Spectulums are not fun things especially in male hands. If you use a regular dildo device or have sex with a penis.....same thing, same shape, only longer.

I also have in the back of my mind that to do the actual abortion, they have to stick scary looking instruments up the same canal and into the uterus itself.

Consent is something you give to a procedure which includes a process. If you dont consent, I have a hard time envisioning anymore forcing the issue. No consent, no procedure.

So, what am I missing here? Are we reacting to the fucked up requirement being imposed? Are we reacting to the shape of the instrument? I really feel like I am missing something here.

Denying a woman her right to have an abortion and calling it anything other than power over a woman's body and then telling her if she wants her rights she must have this unwanted non medically needed procedure, is rape. I don't care if it looks like a cuddly panda bear it is intrusive and non consensual.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)

Last edited by Corkey; 02-16-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: 's
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #2164
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
EXCUSE ME................

inserting any object in the vagina or anus of a women without her consent IS RAPE. PERIOD.

inserting any object in a vagina under coercion (which is what requiring it to get an abortion) IS RAPE

to suggest otherwise is utter bullshit and smacks of the patriarchy.....

and I'm outta here or I will get timed out again.......
I am in full agreement, and we all have to stand up and fight this! First this, then what? What else will we give them the right to decide? How else will we let them rape us? What will we let them take from us? OMG people, stop being nice, stop being politically correct when it matters! Yell and scream about thebrights we will lose, or the hoops we have to go through to have control over our own bodies!

Last edited by MsTinkerbelly; 02-16-2012 at 11:32 PM.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #2165
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation

Taking a break from regularly scheduled news programming for this message -

SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #2166
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation
Default Bad bad bad - thousands of signatures and this still happens

House passes Keystone bill, Senate action uncertain
Reuters By Roberta Rampton | Reuters – 3 hrs ago

The Keystone Oil Pipeline is pictured under construction in North Dakota in this undated photograph released on January 18, 2012.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The House of Representatives passed an energy bill on Thursday that would wrest control of a permit for the controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline away from President Barack Obama, who has put the project on hold. The bill, part of a broader House Republican effort to fund highways and infrastructure projects, would also expand offshore oil drilling and open up parts of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drilling.

While approval of the Keystone measure by the House was widely expected, what happens with a similar proposal in the Democratic-controlled Senate is not yet clear. Senate leaders were still negotiating on Thursday whether to allow a vote on Keystone as part of debate on a highway funding legislation, said Senator John Hoeven, a Republican from North Dakota who has been a key advocate for the $7 billion Canada-to-Texas project.

"I think on the merits we're going to get it done. I don't know when. I hope in the highway bill, but if not, we'll stick with it," Hoeven told Reuters.

Hoeven developed legislation that would see Congress grant TransCanada a permit for the project, and filed the bill as an amendment to the highway funding package.

PUMP PRICES SURGE

Republicans have seized upon the Canadian oil pipeline as a way to criticize Obama for his job creation and energy policies in the 2012 election race.

After massive protests from environmental groups, Obama last month said the pipeline needed more environmental review for the portion running through Nebraska, where the state government had rejected an initial proposed route. Republicans said the project would create thousands of jobs. Environmental groups, who want to kill the project because they argue Canada's oil sands produce too much pollution, also say the numbers are inflated. Republicans have seized on surging gasoline prices as another way to make their case for Keystone.

In the long term, increasing oil supply from North America would help improve energy security and moderate volatility in gasoline prices, Hoeven said.

"I think we need to approve the Keystone XL project because that brings oil to us from our closest friend and ally rather than the Middle East," Hoeven said. The pipeline will also carry oil from Hoeven's home state of North Dakota, where production has surged but infrastructure has failed to keep pace.

STEEP CLIMB

Even if the Keystone legislation makes it to the Senate floor for a vote, getting it passed will be difficult. There are currently 47 Republicans in the U.S. Senate, and they would need to find at least 13 Democrats to agree to move it forward. The Senate and House would also need to agree on a highway bill, which could be difficult given major differences in size and scope between their proposed packages. And the bill would still need to have Obama's approval to become law. Obama has already threatened to veto the House package, due in part to the Keystone provision.
SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #2167
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,620 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

I also doubt that the medical professionals forced to meet these requirements will be less than kind and gentle. But personally I don’t think that’s the point. Nor is it the point that the actual abortion requires a procedure, most likely vacuum aspiration, and that will necessitate something inserted in the vagina. Just because one thing has to go up someone’s vagina does not mean it’s a free for all and let’s just see how many things we can force her to have to put up there. Consent is something you give to a procedure that includes a process developed using medical reasoning. That is the point. You may as well add the requirement of forcing the woman to dress in 17th century garb and wear a scarlet letter on her chest. Perhaps she could be required to wear this for nine months. It is about as medically necessary as a vaginal ultrasound. Or really any ultrasound.

The fact that choice is illusionary is where the consent thing falls apart. A woman really has no other option but to do whatever is required no matter how ludicrous. So to me it is not the shape of the instrument, nor is it that it is to be inserted in one’s vagina, although I think this is the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back. To me it is that there is no option for real consent here.

For you it is the word rape in this context that is problematic. And it also seems that you see a woman as still having a choice here. I could give you the rape thing in its most literal sense, I suppose, although I still see it as state sanctioned vaginal violation. But consent is most definitely non existent. To say one still has the choice to consent or not is to misunderstand the meaning of choice. And to totally miss the predicament of a woman who wants or needs an abortion and the urgency as well as the time sensitive nature of the decision a woman has to make. And technically if you remove any real choice, it's a form of coercion. I imagine coercing someone into letting you insert something into her vagina skirts uncomfortably close to rape. So I understand the feeling that it is rape. But I don't think the whole focus needs to be on this. In fact I think it may be counterproductive to focus exclusively on vaginal ultrasounds.

So I do agree that it is not only this vaginal ultrasound that is the issue. It is all the prerequisites being added to make abortion more and more difficult and costly. And since the U.S. Supreme Court, with Roe vs. Wade, declared a pregnant woman is entitled to have an abortion until the end of the first trimester of pregnancy without any interference by the state, this crap violates federal law. That needs to be the focus. Because those in control of the state, while screaming about the horrors of second and third trimester abortions, are focusing all their power on interfering with first trimester abortions. If you are saying that then I agree. Because it seems to me that it is very feasible that what you described with pregnancy tissue not being classified as medical waste would easily be the state’s next move. Women could soon be required to take home the results of their vacuum aspiration and pay for a burial or a cremation. That would certainly make the cost of an abortion out of reach for many.

We can’t afford to be separated over semantics. We need to unite against this very real threat to women’s rights. We need to look no further than Komen’s move against Planned Parenthood to understand the far reaching depth and seriousness of the coordinated forces unified against the contraceptive rights of women. So I do agree that the focus needs to be on stopping this continued chipping away at a woman’s right to control her body. I don’t care what you chose to call it. Call it rape or call it state sanctioned insanity but call it over. It needs to stop now.
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #2168
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

I think my admiration meter just tipped right off of the "You ROCK!!!" end of the scale... Thank you Miss Tick.
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #2169
Truly Scrumptious

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
She's my mirror twin, my next of kin

2 Highscores

Thanked 1,855 Times in 564 Posts
Truly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST Reputation

I recently read a book (fiction) called When She Woke, by Hillary Jordan. It takes place mid-21st century, when the line between church and state has been dissolved. Roe v Wade has been overturned, and women who have abortions are guilty of murder. Criminals have their skin color genetically altered to reflect the class of their crimes for the duration of their sentences, and murderers are turned bright red. Probably the most disturbing thing about the book is how easy it is to imagine it becoming reality.

I have never had an abortion, so I am not going to claim to understand the feelings around it, though obviously I can assume I understand them. I am, however, a survivor of sexual abuse, and I am intimately acquainted with the feelings surrounding it. I also know I can’t be the only one reading this thread who is a survivor, so I guess my question to the other survivors is, do you believe this can be called rape?

I don’t. I can see why some people do, I can see that it’s coercion, I can see that it’s force, but for some reason, the word just doesn’t sit well with me. Somehow (for me) it seems to diminish the word rape, somehow (for me) it takes away some of the horror, somehow (for me) it allows a tiny bit of minimalization, and (for me) that can never happen.

I have also had the displeasure of enduring 2 transvaginal ultrasounds. Were they pleasant? Not one bit. Were they necessary? Turns out they were. Would I want to have another one? I’d rather have a root canal. Would I have one if medically necessary? Yes.

The point here is that a transvaginal ultrasound is not medically necessary prior to having an abortion, I believe we all agree on that. The point here is that our rights are being taken away one by one, I believe we can agree on that as well. But while we argue over what to call it, an all male panel of witnesses speaks at a congressional hearing on contraception coverage. While we argue over semantics and choose our opposite corners, our choices are being stripped away. And while we argue, Kobi’s point about the next steps goes largely unanswered, but strikes a deep chord of fear for me because it doesn’t seem so far fetched to imagine a woman being told she is responsible for the burial of the fetus.

It doesn’t even seem so impossible to imagine her being genetically altered so that her skin is bright red.
Truly Scrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Truly Scrumptious For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #2170
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,943 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tick View Post
<snip>...
We can’t afford to be separated over semantics. We need to unite against this very real threat to women’s rights. We need to look no further than Komen’s move against Planned Parenthood to understand the far reaching depth and seriousness of the coordinated forces unified against the contraceptive rights of women. So I do agree that the focus needs to be on stopping this continued chipping away at a woman’s right to control her body. I don’t care what you chose to call it. Call it rape or call it state sanctioned insanity but call it over. It needs to stop now.

Exactly!

Conservatives have launched a war against women, all women, every woman, and as such, we must band together and fight the fight of our lives.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #2171
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,620 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollylane View Post
I think my admiration meter just tipped right off of the "You ROCK!!!" end of the scale... Thank you Miss Tick.
I had trouble getting my toque over my swelled head this morning. But thank you it was worth it.
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #2172
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation
Default http://thinkprogress.org/

I found an attachment in my email this morning about Missing Women and all of the information came from this site. I scanned through the site and found a plethora of information.

You might be able to find this all on Huffington Post but I like the detail this site provides. FYI, I am a life long member of the Democratic Party and my politics are moderate.

My horse in most races is to get you to at least think about the various issues, vote, advocate, donate resources to the cause of your choice, do something.
  • Woman prevented from testifying at 2.16.12 House Oversight Committee Hearing addressing the Obama decision to require employers/insurers to provide contreceptive coverage.
  • Virginia's New State Law forcing women seeking an abortion to be "Vaginally Probed."
  • Major Donor to the Santorum campaign advises "Gals" to put an aspirin between their legs for a contreceptive.
  • 1994 Congressional Violence Against Women Act Reauthorization being being held hostage by every Senate Rupublican Member of the Senate Judiciary Committee. Why? Protesting protections for LGBTQ, Immigrants and Native Americans.
  • Kansas considering immigration measures similar to Arizona, Mississippi and Alabama.

http://thinkprogress.org/
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #2173
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Miss Tick,

You said everything my post was meant to convey but got lost in the passion of "OMG are you fucking kidding me!" Thank goodness there are people like you who can focus on the bottom line, and can put it out there in a calm and rational manner.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #2174
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tick View Post
I also doubt that the medical professionals forced to meet these requirements will be less than kind and gentle. But personally I don’t think that’s the point. Nor is it the point that the actual abortion requires a procedure, most likely vacuum aspiration, and that will necessitate something inserted in the vagina. Just because one thing has to go up someone’s vagina does not mean it’s a free for all and let’s just see how many things we can force her to have to put up there. Consent is something you give to a procedure that includes a process developed using medical reasoning. That is the point. You may as well add the requirement of forcing the woman to dress in 17th century garb and wear a scarlet letter on her chest. Perhaps she could be required to wear this for nine months. It is about as medically necessary as a vaginal ultrasound. Or really any ultrasound.

The fact that choice is illusionary is where the consent thing falls apart. A woman really has no other option but to do whatever is required no matter how ludicrous. So to me it is not the shape of the instrument, nor is it that it is to be inserted in one’s vagina, although I think this is the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back. To me it is that there is no option for real consent here.

For you it is the word rape in this context that is problematic. And it also seems that you see a woman as still having a choice here. I could give you the rape thing in its most literal sense, I suppose, although I still see it as state sanctioned vaginal violation. But consent is most definitely non existent. To say one still has the choice to consent or not is to misunderstand the meaning of choice. And to totally miss the predicament of a woman who wants or needs an abortion and the urgency as well as the time sensitive nature of the decision a woman has to make. And technically if you remove any real choice, it's a form of coercion. I imagine coercing someone into letting you insert something into her vagina skirts uncomfortably close to rape. So I understand the feeling that it is rape. But I don't think the whole focus needs to be on this. In fact I think it may be counterproductive to focus exclusively on vaginal ultrasounds.

So I do agree that it is not only this vaginal ultrasound that is the issue. It is all the prerequisites being added to make abortion more and more difficult and costly. And since the U.S. Supreme Court, with Roe vs. Wade, declared a pregnant woman is entitled to have an abortion until the end of the first trimester of pregnancy without any interference by the state, this crap violates federal law. That needs to be the focus. Because those in control of the state, while screaming about the horrors of second and third trimester abortions, are focusing all their power on interfering with first trimester abortions. If you are saying that then I agree. Because it seems to me that it is very feasible that what you described with pregnancy tissue not being classified as medical waste would easily be the state’s next move. Women could soon be required to take home the results of their vacuum aspiration and pay for a burial or a cremation. That would certainly make the cost of an abortion out of reach for many.

Again we agree on most everything.

I look at processes. And, to me, in a process, the words we use to define something have both a very powerful impact on how we define something as well as an influence on the behavior which follows.

What I see happening here is a systematic, deliberate, organized force determined to impose their multifaceted moral agenda on other people using the very process that is in place to protect this from happening.

That, to me, is the forest we had better not lose sight of.

What is happening to women reproductive rights is a tree in that forest. As a tree, what is happening is absolutely horrible. What is more horrible is one state managed to get these restrictions imposed. Other states have followed and added more idiocy to the requirements as they went.

This assault on the reproductive rights of women, is a very complex social, emotional, political, theological, legal, legislative, psychological, sociological (and probably more) process to undo evolution in service to the beliefs and wishes of a certain group of elected officials who feel they can impose their morality on an unsuspecting public by abusing the power that was entrusted to them.

How does simplifying all that to the word "rape" or even "consent" help us? Does it even define the problem? Can holes be poked in the rationale for using these words simply by invoking a different train of thought and focus? Is it going to get us where we need to go? Or is it going to hamper us?

The idiots who are doing this shit, I think, are very much counting on us getting lost in the trees of what they are doing. The more they can get us to focus on the trees, the more we lose sight of the bigger picture. And, their attacks are multi faceted - atacks on women per se, attacks on the right of women to control their own bodies, attacks on womens intelligence, blatant sexism in the words of those in and running for office, the rights of queers, the rights of the poor, the rights of POC, immigration - they are hitting every single area where rights have been established. And they are seeking to dismantle them, little by little, using the legislative and legal process. And, they are doing one hell of a job.

We can use rape, a very emotionally laden word. The word, itself, makes some angry and that anger can be motivating. To some, the word envokes fear and fearful people turn inward. The word rape also creates a divide between women and men. One word can affect millions so differently.

To me, how we define a problem or frame it is crucial. The words we use in doing this can influence the direction of our thinking and actions, and the reactions we evoke in others, both positive and negative.

We can define it as a legislative process that legalizes rape of women by medical professionals. To me, that takes the process off the idiotis who are doing this and turns the focus on the people who are stuck having to enforce the law. This in turn sets up an adversarial thing between patient and caregiver.

We can define the problem as a gross error in judgement in electing the people we did. Here the strategy might be to look at who did we elect and why? What were they saying that intrigued us enough to vote for them while ignoring other aspects of their message that we should have paid attention to? How can we rethink our voting strategies to get these idiots out of office? How would we evaluate the best way to decide who we should vote for?

We could just say we need to fight this! Yeah we do! Fight what? If you havent defined it, how do you fight it?

To me, this is big, big, huge shit. It is about cause and effect. Women not being allowed to testisfy at a contraception hearing? Really? Vaginal probes before abortion? Cuz women are too stupid to know what they are doing and need to be force fed reality? Aspirin as a contraception? How sexist and demeaning. Gay marriage will lead to marriage with animals. Come again? More states jumping of the immigration wagon. Uh huh. Work requirements for the unemployed - so what if there are no damn jobs, we need to get their lazy asses moving - yes Sheldon that was sarcasm.

I dont want to downplay what is happening to the trees in the forest. The trees are a symptom of a much bigger problem. I am fearful if we get caught up in just the trees, the forest is going to come crashing down on our heads.

And, to me, the words we use matter, a lot.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #2175
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Scrumptious View Post
I have never had an abortion, so I am not going to claim to understand the feelings around it, though obviously I can assume I understand them. I am, however, a survivor of sexual abuse, and I am intimately acquainted with the feelings surrounding it. I also know I can’t be the only one reading this thread who is a survivor
i am a rape survivor

Quote:
my question to the other survivors is, do you believe this can be called rape?
no

Quote:
I can see that it’s coercion, I can see that it’s force, but for some reason, the word just doesn’t sit well with me. Somehow (for me) it seems to diminish the word rape, somehow (for me) it takes away some of the horror, somehow (for me) it allows a tiny bit of minimalization, and (for me) that can never happen.
exactly

for example- i was taken to the emergency room after a car accident b/c i reported neck pain.

once you do this, you are not allowed to move.

before doing x-rays, they had to know whether i was pregnant.

i told them i was a lesbian and could not possibly be pregnant.

They said "lots of women say that and then turn out to be pregnant"

since i wasn't allowed to move, plus i was menstruating, they had to catheterize me to get a urine sample to check for a pregnancy that could not exist

catheterization HURTS LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER

it was painful, traumatic, invasive, and uneccesary...

but when i compare it with being abducted from a parking lot and drivien into the wooods for a stranger's sick thrills

not so much
Old 02-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #2176
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

I am not going to split hairs here or debate over words. What is going on is a systematic assault on the rights of women to control their own bodies and their own destiny.

I have had an abortion. I have never written those words anywhere, nor have I ever admitted it to a soul that knows me.

The very last time I ever had sex with a biological male was in 1978. I would call it date rape. I did want to have sex with him at first and wanted to put my diaphragm in but he would not allow me to do so. He did hold me down against my will and I became pregnant. This was after finally getting off of welfare after 5-years, working full-time and raising two small children with no child support. It was impossible for me to have that baby.

I knew it was the only choice for me. I called a clinic, spoke to a counselor for 5-minutes, was asked if I was sure, had an exam, pregnancy test and the date for the procedure set. I coughed up the $225 it cost, took a taxi, was sedated, had it, took a taxi home and dealt with the aftermath by myself.

Would it have felt like another rape to be forced to undergo a phallic-probe ultrasound before I could have the procedure? I seriously doubt it but why in the fuck should anyone have to experience it to undergo a legal medical procedure for any reason at all besides hoping somehow the woman changes her mind and decides not to have the abortion?

All of us should care about this systematic dismantling of a woman's right to chose what to do with her own body! LGBTQ's are raped and assaulted-it is not just a straight woman's problem-it is a problem for all of us and for our daughters as well.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #2177
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation
Default On a lighter note...

Miranda Lambert Is Chris Brown's #1 Enemy

Country singer Miranda Lambert has become the most outspoken celebrity about Chris Brown's Grammy win. Go Miranda!
Old 02-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #2178
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Default Denied jobs, blacks in Iowa test new bias theory

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — In a case closely watched by civil rights activists, an Iowa judge will soon decide whether to grant thousands of black employees and job applicants monetary damages for hiring practices used by Iowa state government that they say have disadvantaged them.

Experts say the case is the largest class-action lawsuit of its kind against an entire state government's civil service system, and tests a legal theory that social science and statistics alone can prove widespread discrimination.

The plaintiffs — up to 6,000 African-Americans passed over for state jobs and promotions dating back to 2003 — do not say they faced overt racism or discriminatory hiring tests in Iowa, a state that is 91 percent white. Instead, their lawyers argue that managers subconsciously favored whites across state government, leaving blacks at a disadvantage in decisions over who got interviewed, hired and promoted.

Implicit bias. Fascinating strategy. If it works, the implications are astounding.

http://news.yahoo.com/denied-jobs-bl...080416196.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #2179
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

I am posting because this pissed me off
I know it isn't normal news but all the same needs to be looked at

It upsets me that the elderly are treated so poor and have become a throw away generagtion in so many eyes.

In other countries and some states, this would NEVER happen.

These people deserve respct and protection. They brought us to where we have come so far. They struggled to get us to where we are at.
And more and more we are seeing stuff like this.

People who have influence and a voice need to speak up. It is our duty to do so.

In my opinion that is.
We as well as the media should shame those doing it. Step up to help where we can. And places that can assist should.

Sorry for ranting but it pissed me off.

Having worked in the medical field and a long time with elderly, I have seen my share.

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2012/...36614#comments

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #2180
Vlasta
BFP Sentinels

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 1,002 Times in 286 Posts
Vlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Pamela View Post
I am posting because this pissed me off
I know it isn't normal news but all the same needs to be looked at

It upsets me that the elderly are treated so poor and have become a throw away generagtion in so many eyes.

In other countries and some states, this would NEVER happen.

These people deserve respct and protection. They brought us to where we have come so far. They struggled to get us to where we are at.
And more and more we are seeing stuff like this.

People who have influence and a voice need to speak up. It is our duty to do so.
you are absolutely right to be angry and vent out here . It's the shame how elderly people are being treated in this country . I myself being in the medical field experienced so many situations when I was disgusted . Just vent here it's safe . I personally understand and I hope so others . I hope things get better for you .

In my opinion that is.
We as well as the media should shame those doing it. Step up to help where we can. And places that can assist should.

Sorry for ranting but it pissed me off.

Having worked in the medical field and a long time with elderly, I have seen my share.

you are absolutely right to be angry and vent out here . It's the shame how elderly people are being treated in this country . I myself being in the medical field experienced so many situations when I was disgusted . Just vent here it's safe . I personally understand and I hope so others . I hope things get better for you .

Hence , I have to add it's not just here in America , but many other countries.

Vent , Vent and Vent here are people to understand .
Vlasta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vlasta For This Useful Post:

Tags
breaking news, news