Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:06 AM   #1
Dance-with-me

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 1,926 Times in 378 Posts
Dance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST Reputation
Default Input needed for LGBT dance lessons weekend

With all the talk about the trouble finding dance lessons that are ok with LGBT folks in the class, I decided to chat with a local dance instructor I know about the issue, and she and I want to consider trying to organize a weekend-long event specifically for LGBT folk, maybe in early spring, which would include different types of lessons, some open dance time, plus time to do other things in the area.

Even if you'd never be able to attend this, could you give us some feedback on what we've thought of so far - and be very open with your comments if you feel that something wouldn't work?

Our initial thoughts on a possible schedule:
  • Start Friday evening with a one hour lesson on something easier and fun (two-step?) followed by some time to just dance, maybe lesson at 7, dance 8-10.
  • Saturday morning meet 10-12 for two one-hour lessons, then break for lunch 12-2.
  • Saturday afternoon for two one-hour lessons 2-4, then break for dinner 4-7
  • Saturday evening a new lesson 7-8, then just dance 8-10.
  • Sunday morning two lessons 10-12, break for brunch 12-2, then 2-3 another lesson and 3-5 a "tea dance" to practice skills.

So my questions:
1) How's the schedule -- too much lesson time?
2) Would the lesson and dance times work well for you?
3) What dances should we teach? I was thinking about sticking to two main ones (maybe east-coast swing and salsa) with one one-hour lesson in two-step and one in two-step Friday night, and a one-hour lesson in Tango Saturday night before the dance.
4) Better to do one bigger class (maybe 20) or two smaller class to offer more options or division by skill level, even if it raised the cost? Or maybe a combination, like in a two hour block do one hour with everyone going over the fundamental, then split to two groups by sill
5) Would it be good to offer some extra-cost private lessons for people who want them?
6) What else might be good for us to consider?
7) Better to let everyone go to Saturday night dinner on their own, or book a place where can all eat (and drink) then go right from eating to dancing?
8) What's the most you'd pay for this, not including your lodging and meals or private lessons, but including all the dance lessons (instructors, facilities, music, etc.)?
9) If this were within two hours of you, in the off-season of a resort area (so hotels are relatively inexpensive), and on-site child care and kids activities was available during dance time if you needed it, and you could afford both the time and cost, what would be your interest level?
10) Finally, if you live in the Mid--Atlantic area and the event was in Rehoboth Beach, DE, would you like to get more information if we decide to do this?
Dance-with-me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dance-with-me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 03:57 AM   #2
Daktari

Default I wish...

Given that I live across a large body of water that means I couldn't get there even if I wanted.

If I won the lottery or had a well paying job and could afford expenses prior to any dance lessons and wotnot I would be there in a shot.

There's a lot of dancing there. Not everyone is as physically capable as the next person. If proper lessons are the order of the day then those who're less able may not be able to keep up and have to sit a class or two out but if they wanted to rejoin a particular dance (style) class they'd be waaay behind those more able who've been able to attend each class. Just the sorta thang a person like me with physical stuffs that impinge on enjoyment sometimes thinks about.

Personally I'm not a morning person, also my meds take a wee while to kick in, so morning classes are never my preference. That is just a personal thang though.

Enough of my thoughts, I won't be attending sadly

I wish you luck if you manage to put this event on. It's just the sort of thing I would lurve to attend given the above mentioned circumstances.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,159 Times in 3,019 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I'll be back to this when I have a little more time but please register me for it right now. Squee!
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

i wouldn't be able to attend due to finances/distance, etc., but the only issue i really have with the schedule is the sunday afternoon schedule - it's a good idea to have class time followed by break, so i'd do a break before the tea. or just have a break in early afternoon followed by a social event to end the weekend. i'd also recommend short-ish breaks (at least) between the lessons 7-8 and dancing 8-10 earlier in the weekend.

re: accessibility - for me at least - the most accessible dance spaces have had chairs around the room in case i needed to take a break, people who use mobility aids were able to participate, and there was no shame about needing to take a break. that can sometimes be difficult to coordinate in classes where folks are partnered but it's not impossible - lots of folks do it. http://www.danceability.com/ has a lot of resources for folks trying to coordinate accessible dance spaces. i'd recommend talking with teachers who have experience coordinating mixed-ability dance spaces for the styles you're wanting to teach.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Question Where?

Is this up North? Classes that is?
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

I need dance lessons!! First I think what I need most is to know how to dance to top 40 songs. I need to know everything please do not say listen to the music and just flow with it. I need detailed instructions on how to move my arms and shoulders what to do with my hands when to move my head how my hips should turn or my torso . I need to know what my feet and legs are supposed to be doing during all of this . I need to know to incorporate them all together. Then I would like to know how to waltz and salsa . My two cents worth .
Old 10-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
Metro

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,916 Times in 733 Posts
Metro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST ReputationMetro Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up Begin the Beguine

Sounds like a fun idea, altho at this point I have no idea if I would be able to attend such an event. Below are a few ideas based on my own experiences…

For those who want to learn some basics of social dance at their own pace (at home and prior to any kind of event) it might be useful to check out instructional videos on YouTube or material from your local library. This is what I did (to understand form for Lead and Follow roles and basic step pattern of dances). It helped a lot -- so that I knew at least something prior to walking into a class.

Second thing I suggest (for beginners) is to choose either Lead or Follow role and learn one before adding the other -- this way you only have to focus on that role as you learn. Eventually learning both roles means you have more people with which to potentially enjoy a dance!

I know this may sound weird, but a really easy way to practice is while hanging on to a grocery cart at the store (be sure it is not too crowded when you go shopping). Bystanders tend not to notice what you're doing. Bonus is that there is often some kind of music playing in the background and a beat to try and match with your dance steps, and the floor makes sliding easy (tip: don't wear sticky rubber gym shoes, wear something with soles that allow gliding). Trying the slower beat songs before graduating to faster songs also helps in getting the steps down pat -- eventually you'll be able to improvise on the dance floor.

Last, have fun! Don't take yourself too seriously and don't be afraid to ask or accept an offer to dance. It's just dancing after all, not a marriage proposal!

Metro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metro For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

Yay! This is a great idea, near by, and I love to dance!
I grew up square dancing and Irish set dancing. I'd love to learn salsa. I've attended the Big Apple Ranch in NYC. They have a basic lesson in 2 Stepping and a line dance lesson before the dancing starts, that really helps.
I hope you make this happen. I'd be happy to help promote it
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,159 Times in 3,019 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Fun!
You know a little weekend event like this is what grew into the big one we have in Saratoga...

No, I think it's good. Folks will take breaks when they need/want and not everyone will want to take every lesson.

Yep

3) What dances should we teach? I was thinking about sticking to two main ones (maybe east-coast swing and salsa) with one one-hour lesson in two-step and one in two-step Friday night, and a one-hour lesson in Tango Saturday night before the dance.
Certainly the ones you mentioned. I'd personally add in some other sort of international dancing or contra dancing. I'd also elevate some so that there can be a beginner lesson in a style early in the weekend and an advanced level of it later in the weekend.

4) Better to do one bigger class (maybe 20) or two smaller class to offer more options or division by skill level, even if it raised the cost? Or maybe a combination, like in a two hour block do one hour with everyone going over the fundamental, then split to two groups by sill

Totally depends on your venue, event registration and participation goals and teacher preference.

5) Would it be good to offer some extra-cost private lessons for people who want them?

You might make this something you offer when you do it for the second year- unless your instructors want to put it out there not knowing how busy they will be- and planning space for them to teach if booked.

Will there be live or recorded music? Swing traditionally is going to have a live band, same with a lot of the other styles. How much will you need to bring in from ticket sales and sponsorships to cover cost of musicians, instructors, and booking dance space?
How will you market the event?
How many people can you have in attendance with your booked venue space?
Will there be different ticket prices for different age groups? Group rates?
Event insurance?
Volunteers on hand for troubleshooting?
Emergency protocol for injuries and other disasters

7) Better to let everyone go to Saturday night dinner on their own, or book a place where can all eat (and drink) then go right from eating to dancing?

You might give a handout of information for where folks can go for meals and/or see if food vendors can come on site?

8) What's the most you'd pay for this, not including your lodging and meals or private lessons, but including all the dance lessons (instructors, facilities, music, etc.)?

Let me think about that.

9) If this were within two hours of you, in the off-season of a resort area (so hotels are relatively inexpensive), and on-site child care and kids activities was available during dance time if you needed it, and you could afford both the time and cost, what would be your interest level?

High.

10) Finally, if you live in the Mid--Atlantic area and the event was in Rehoboth Beach, DE, would you like to get more information if we decide to do this?

Yes.
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Clarification

Just to boil this all down...the basics.

You are wondering if people would be interested in a weekend long dance clinic in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware for the LGBT community. It would be for learning dances like salsa, tango, two-step, etc. It will be with a cool ass dance instructor you know. It gives us queers who like to dance and learn lots of hours to, well, dance and learn!

The rest of your post is trying to get information from people as to how this could best meet their needs/desires, if they have an interest.

Right?

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
Dance-with-me

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 1,926 Times in 378 Posts
Dance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST Reputation

Exactly.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

So my questions:
Yes. My feet would be blistered and killing me. You have seven hours of dancing on Saturday. People who are not used to this kind of activity level will not be able to keep up.

Yes

Tango is a gorgeous sexy dance but is one hour enough to learn it? I would rather have more flexibility in what is offered so I could focus on one dance and doing it well.

4) Better to do one bigger class (maybe 20) or two smaller class to offer more options or division by skill level, even if it raised the cost? Or maybe a combination, like in a two hour block do one hour with everyone going over the fundamental, then split to two groups by skill
One larger class. Shy people like to blend into a crowd. And if I was split into a class of lesser skilled people, that might be hurtful/insulting etc

Yes, scheduled in advance to determine demand; pay by a certain deadline to ensure that instructors are paid even if people do not show.

How are you going to keep people hydrated during all of this? Let them bring water or are you going to sell/provide it. Personally I think it needs to be provided in the cost of the event.

Is there anyway to get a price break? If you volunteer for set-up/clean-up can you participate for a certain percent off? Not everyone who wants to do something like this can afford to.

Fred Astaire dance lets people take an initial one hour class-free of charge. That seems to be a good way to determine how much you can/want to do this. If someone is unable to keep up physically and wants out, what portion of a refund will they be entitle to-if any?

If I come to this event, will I get a discount on future offerings?

Both options. Tell everyone that they can venture off on their own OR go with the organizers to dinner. Not sure who all will want to dance immediately after eating though. With things on such a schedule, you will have some people who just want to be alone for a while.

$125 single person for the weekend; $50 Saturday only. Maybe a price break for a partner/spouse when they sign up together? And, if the music is pre-recorded it would annoy me to think that I was having to pay for music. I would rather see it listed as "instructors, facilities, and related expenses."

8 on a scale of 1-10

n/a I am not in the area