Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

View Poll Results: What is Your Employment Status?
I am employed full time. 84 53.85%
I am employed part time. 7 4.49%
I do freelance work. 7 4.49%
I am on unemployment. 6 3.85%
I am not currently employed. 4 2.56%
I am not currently employed but looking for a job. 7 4.49%
I am currently employed and looking for a better job. 7 4.49%
I work more than one job. 6 3.85%
I am on disability. 15 9.62%
Other: See thread for explanation 13 8.33%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #141
Happyfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Thanked 5,013 Times in 1,509 Posts
Happyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST ReputationHappyfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I am the clinical director of a program for children and families. I supervise 24 clinicians and case managers. I always end up working over 40 hours per week but I love it. I am also in a PhD program that I am enjoying as well. It's very busy but I really enjoy my work and my PhD program.
Happyfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Happyfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2015, 09:07 PM   #142
randrum

How Do You Identify?:
Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
Just call me G
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 3,063 Times in 668 Posts
randrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputation

I'm a mechanical engineer. Well, actually I'm an aerospace engineer working in the capacity of a mechanical engineer. I work for a telecommunications company that manufactures various GPS and antennas. I'm sort of the "fireman" around the office. On any given day, I could be designing a new product, building prototypes, testing, troubleshooting a customer issue, or fixing a problem on the production line. I spend a lot of time drawing and working with various equipment and power tools. Each day is a bit of an adventure because I don't know what the day will bring.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:18 PM   #143
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,931 Times in 9,910 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

My field of work is in Public Safety and I work along side with engineers, executives and property management owners. I work more than full time. I am usually on site, working complex 12 hour rotations of duty. I love where I work and will stay with this career, until I retire.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #144
Chad
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Loved Caregiver

Thanked 20,326 Times in 5,678 Posts
Chad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST Reputation
Default Career

Hi,

I am an Environmental Scientist. My specialties include aquatic biology and endangered species. I conduct field surveys for endangered species and aquatic systems. The purpose of my work is to identify and catalog existing conditions then determine the impacts on that habitat or aquatic system by an action. In addition, I recommend and manage mitigation projects to improve the habitat or aquatic system.

I love my work and have spent almost 20 years walking across the US to survey the indigenous flora and fauna including the flora and fauna found only in aquatic systems.

Currently I am focused on coastal processes, restoration, and mitigation.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Chad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #145
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I'm a store manager for a national company. I work full time and am fortunate to have some nice benefits even if my schedule and time off is at the mercy of the company. It's a job requiring the wearing of many hats and can sometimes be very physically demanding but I've been here for almost 5 years now so I'm pretty much used to it.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #146
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,815 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

I love reading about everyone's jobs and careers!

I am a behavioral health nurse and as an RN, have done everything from director of nurses to utilization and case management, in management level positions.

Now, I work directly with clients that have dual diagnoses of mental illness and substance abuse.

I feel good about what I do and have never regretted leaving management.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 07:33 PM   #147
Ascot

How Do You Identify?:
Preppy Butch artist
Relationship Status:
She’s wild about me.

Thanked 2,487 Times in 549 Posts
Ascot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST Reputation

I am an artist. I've been working with stained glass for about 15 years. I design and fabricate custom pieces. Doors, windows, etc. i've made signs for a few businesses. I am the go-to repair person for several of the antique shops in town. I was recently contacted by the Unitarian church to do some restoration on a couple of their windows. I really dig restoration work even though it presents some really tough challenges. I get into thinking about the original artisan, wondering if this window I'm touching that they produced 100, 150 years ago was just a job for them, or did they appreciate that they were creating a beautiful piece of art. I also make kaleidoscopes and re-create children's art in glass. Working with kids' art is really fun because it reconnects me to whimsy. My business is called What A Pane Glass Studio.

When life demands that I get a real job, I work in marketing.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #148
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Femme-ish, tomboy lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Together a really long time

Thanked 12,914 Times in 3,079 Posts
Gayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST Reputation
Cool

I'm a cna in a nursing home. I used to really love what I do, but over the years I guess I kind of got burnt out? My spouse becoming disabled pretty much changed our life and now I really wish I could find a new line of work. But at my age and with her sick, the mortgage to pay, etc. that doesn't really seem like an option. I try to stay positive but some days it is so hard. Oh well, at least I HAVE a full time job, right? I know people that wish they did.....
Old 01-23-2016, 02:37 PM   #149
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,931 Times in 9,910 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Update

I am no longer in the field of Public Safety.

Super thankful for that. At one time I felt it would be a life long career, but I am grateful that life has blessed me otherwise.

I am employed full time, though.

However, recently I applied for an interesting field of work, which is based in the science of sustainability for eco-systems: I will be thrilled if this latest vocation becomes a reality.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 01:15 PM   #150
boioboi

How Do You Identify?:
Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
they/them or ze/zer
Relationship Status:
Happily Committed

boioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputationboioboi Has the BEST Reputation

I'm a student and do side jobs for income. Doing a lot of volunteer working mentoring youth and as a crisis counselor.
boioboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to boioboi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #151
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Red face but when I post I'm off duty so please don't judge!

Department Head of English/high school teacher
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #152
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
I am employed full time but have been at a 15% reduction in pay for the past year and a half. In January it will go to only a 10% reduction in pay.

I don't like it but I know I am still lucky and no matter what happens "out there," I will keep my self respect in knowing, I am doing what I can like most of us here are doing.
Wow, six years later things have changed a bit. I am retired from that career, in graduate school full time and working part-time. The sort of work I do part-time has been traditionally for entry level young people. Not anymore. I cannot tell you how many adults with higher education scramble for these jobs. Well at least here in the SF Bay Area. The economy still has a long way to go.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2016, 05:50 AM   #153
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,310 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation

I went from software contractor to permanent full time employee in 2009. I knew I'd get a healthy pay cut but with raises and promotions since '09, I have exceeded original contractor salary. I did not have as much what I call "play money" there for awhile but manageable. I like the stability I have being a permanent employee, good benefits, generous holiday and annual leave, Blue Cross Blue Shield ... I cannot complain at all ... but I will ... I miss the thrill and fast pace of the contract work even though it was terribly stressful at times and people seemingly were more back-biting. A big plus at my current job is that for someone like me who seems to get into trouble periodically for being "mouthy," you would just about have to snuff someone to get fired. Overall, I like the job I have today just fine.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #154
Zimmeh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Me
Relationship Status:
I am a human and not a possession

Thanked 13,441 Times in 4,316 Posts
Zimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST Reputation

I have had several jobs since I joined the planet nearly seven years ago. I currently work full time at Starbucks and even though the job doesn't pay well, I really enjoy it. I am becoming very good at latte art and talking to people about coffee. I have a bachelors degree in business information systems from DeVry University. I was never able to find a job in that field but I use my education in computers to help train my coworkers on point of sale computer programs.

Zimmeh
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zimmeh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #155
girlin2une

How Do You Identify?:
submissive queer stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her

Thanked 3,844 Times in 856 Posts
girlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputationgirlin2une Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am employed full time in work that I love and find very fulfilling but in a workplace that I hate. I am a teacher. It brings immense joy to me to know that I make a difference in the lives of the children I teach, but I yearn for a change. I realise just how blessed I am to have a full time job with benefits. After all, I have my own young children that rely on me.
I want to go back to school. Of course 40 isn't too old to go back to school right?
girlin2une is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to girlin2une For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #156
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

Right now I run my own petsitter and housesitting company. But will be looking to get back into the workforce in the next month or so.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #157
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

Other: I am a student

I work part time under the table in my area of study.

When I pass my boards I will be self employed. I'll have to pay rent for my biz, business licence, LTD license, malpractice insurance, college council fees, plus insure my hands, and pay my own holidays and sick days. If I am off more than a week I have to hire a Locum. I also have to hire an accountant familiar with this kind of practice, and pay a laywer for consultations over insurance companies issues and court requests.

And pay off my student loans of course.

But! I get to do a job I absolutely bloody love and I don't have a boss. I'm my boss. That's a big deal to me. After decades of shit management folk who micromanage and having to do things the way other people want it done (aside from when I did sex work, that was a brilliant aspect of that job, being the boss and telling people I didn't want to deal with to fuck off), I don't have to have someone breathing down my neck anymore. People thank me. People talk to me like I am a human person. Like I have a brain in my skull. They don't constantly interrupt me, talk over me, or ignore me. I feel valued and I LOVE my patients.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #158
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlin2une View Post
I am employed full time in work that I love and find very fulfilling but in a workplace that I hate. I am a teacher. It brings immense joy to me to know that I make a difference in the lives of the children I teach, but I yearn for a change. I realise just how blessed I am to have a full time job with benefits. After all, I have my own young children that rely on me.
I want to go back to school. Of course 40 isn't too old to go back to school right?
Nope! I was 43 when I started my full time program. I'm 46 now.

In class there was a 50 year old woman who had moved recently from China doing the program. Imagine that - being in a foreign continent, their language is a second language and now you have to learn medical terms and everyone is half your age. She had my deepest respect.

It's hard. But well worth it to go back if it's what you want
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #159
storyspinner70

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Babygirl
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

storyspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputation

I've worked virtually for over a decade now. It's the best. I'm operations manager for an entrepreneur. I do a bit of everything - management mostly, website creation, verification and maintenance including copywriting, cs for the customers no one else can handle, marketing campaigns, social media, chargebacks/bbb complaints, newsletter development, article writing, packaging development, and on and on and on. I just help where I'm needed if someone is out. Otherwise I'm pretty much just checking on employees. I'm very very lucky. I work relatively little and have total freedom to, say, post on BFP on my down times...lmao...
Old 03-26-2016, 07:17 AM   #160
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Femme-ish, tomboy lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Together a really long time

Thanked 12,914 Times in 3,079 Posts
Gayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST Reputation

Well soon I can add I am a kennel worker to my job title, as well as being a cna!!! I'm really looking forward to going back there and working again, even if it's only one day a week? Or whatever I can do. Any extra money helps, and it is only twenty minutes away from me, so it's not like what I make will be spent on gas, ya know? The extra cash will go to pay off bills so I can afford to work my full time job less, so I can be home with my spouse more. That is important since her health is slowly declining and I want to have as much time with her as possible. And a plus is I LOVE animals more than people, so it's really not a "job" to me, it's more like a hobby. I'm hoping it will cut back on some of my stress. My next door neighbor has agreed to check on my spouse while I'm gone so I won't have to worry about finding a sitter. I'm really excited!!!!

Tags
employment, job