GraffitiBoi

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male ones
Relationship Status:
Playing around and having fun

Thanked 3,663 Times in 824 Posts
GraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
I voted for Aydian. He is also a good guy.
Garamone was his top surgeon, by the way. Double incision.
I also voted for him. After checking the leaderboard, he isn't just in the lead, he's crushing his competition!
GraffitiBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GraffitiBoi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #462
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

This is the story that got the Aydian Dowling celebrity started. Hopefully, he doesn't get a big head from all of this.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jasonrobertb...levine-p-1c4ex

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #463
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

I'd love to see how people reacted to him, if he ever walked into a women's bathroom, here in Florida!
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2015, 07:48 PM   #464
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeest View Post
I'd love to see how people reacted to him, if he ever walked into a women's bathroom, here in Florida!
haha Indeed!

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #465
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,908 Times in 1,861 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

Army soldier becomes first openly trans person in the military! Sgt Shane Ortega
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2015, 10:56 PM   #466
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

I am glad to see some massive positive posts about trans folks!

I wish there were more positive lately then negative to read about.

Albert Einstein
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2015, 06:43 AM   #467
Hominid

How Do You Identify?:
Male with interesting historical perspective
Relationship Status:
Taking Applications

Hominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Fantastic -- back in the day, I had an appointment to West Point. I blew it off, much to my dad's chagrin, because I couldn't stand being in those clothes, as a woman ... seems so silly now. Nobody ever said 17 was a smart age.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hominid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2015, 10:02 PM   #468
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Default Penis transplant

This is the first time I have seen a penis transplant research team mention the potential for FTM patients.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...nor-180954639/

I personally can't see myself doing this, but I thought others might find it interesting.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2015, 05:58 PM   #469
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Transgender Teen Settles with DMV

Chase Culpepper denied a driver's license photo, citing 'altering appearance.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2015, 05:43 AM   #470
Feasting Panther

How Do You Identify?:
Trans Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Feasting Panther is on a distinguished road
Default Document Change

In Australia each State seems to have differing laws concerning name change, gender etc.
In Western Australia you cant legaly change from M2F without undergoing SrS, however i was given an exemption due to medical issues, i can also tick 'other' or have Intersex registered on some forms, documents etc.
Its a bit complicated and annoying, but Australia never seems to take a step forward in anything, just 3 steps backwards...
Feasting Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feasting Panther For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #471
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Testosterone Shot Risks

A study finds links to strokes, acute coronary syndromes, hospitalization, and death from short-acting testosterone injections.

I'm curious; have those that take T injections been given the option of gel or patches? This study says that those that used gels or patches didn't have these elevated risks.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #472
GraffitiBoi

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male ones
Relationship Status:

GraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Testosterone Shot Risks

A study finds links to strokes, acute coronary syndromes, hospitalization, and death from short-acting testosterone injections.

I'm curious; have those that take T injections been given the option of gel or patches? This study says that those that used gels or patches didn't have these elevated risks.
I was given the option but I chose the shots. I've been injecting once a week for 12 years and no problems at all. I get checked twice a year for everything.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GraffitiBoi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #473
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraffitiBoi View Post
I was given the option but I chose the shots. I've been injecting once a week for 12 years and no problems at all. I get checked twice a year for everything.
Thanks for the response! I'm not aware of how many brands there are of injectable T but they specifically mentioned Bolus.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #474
GraffitiBoi

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male ones
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Thanks for the response! I'm not aware of how many brands there are of injectable T but they specifically mentioned Bolus.
Bolus is what happens when you inject. I copied this from a site regarding T injections since I didn't know how to explain it: "When you inject your T, it forms a bolus in the middle of your muscle (if it’s an intramuscular injection) or fat (if it’s subcutaneous). A bolus is a big lump of T that will release into your bloodstream over time."

The main risk of long term injectable T is developing polycythemia, which is a high increase of red blood cells. It can lead to clots which can cause the strokes and coronary syndromes you mentioned. It's usually treated by taking one baby aspirin per day and quitting smoking, if you smoke.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GraffitiBoi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #475
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
Bolus is what happens when you inject. I copied this from a site regarding T injections since I didn't know how to explain it: "When you inject your T, it forms a bolus in the middle of your muscle (if it’s an intramuscular injection) or fat (if it’s subcutaneous). A bolus is a big lump of T that will release into your bloodstream over time."

The main risk of long term injectable T is developing polycythemia, which is a high increase of red blood cells. It can lead to clots which can cause the strokes and coronary syndromes you mentioned. It's usually treated by taking one baby aspirin per day and quitting smoking, if you smoke.
That was a perfect explanation and makes a ton of sense. Thanks!

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #476
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:

To clarify, though, you aren't saying that transmen who take T are at any higher risk for developing this than natal men, correct?

As an aside, you have been doing IM for all 12 years, I assume? Have you considered trying out sub-q?

I can't imagine doing IM. I am glad sub-q was available when I started.

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 08:59 PM   #477
GraffitiBoi

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male ones
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
To clarify, though, you aren't saying that transmen who take T are at any higher risk for developing this than natal men, correct?

As an aside, you have been doing IM for all 12 years, I assume? Have you considered trying out sub-q?

I can't imagine doing IM. I am glad sub-q was available when I started.
I doubt transmen are at a higher risk, but I don't know the specifics. I can look into it more.

I was off of T for one of those years due to medical reasons not related to being on T or being trans.

I did try sub-q a few times but my moods seemed to shift. I went back to IM and no more mood shifts. I assume that's because the dosage for IM vs SQ are different and mine wasn't adjusted correctly.
The Following User Says Thank You to GraffitiBoi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 09:37 PM   #478
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Testosterone Shot Risks

Gemme, I was given the option of gel and I did use it a bit at first. I didn't like it. It was sticky and with the brand I had (Testim), you weren't supposed to have contact with a person until you washed it off (not the two hour wait some gels state). The cost is higher than injections. It is true that daily application keeps a more steady dose of T in the body. Historically, FTMs would inject every two weeks intramuscular. Now every 10 days for intramuscular or every 7 days for sub-q is the most common.

Sub-q is started to gain some acceptance and validity in the U.S. Like other new medical approaches it started in the urban areas (due being close to research hospitals and such)and slowly moving out. This is what I do. Weekly shot into the fat. Painless (pretty much...it is like giving yourself insulin, I suspect).

I know of only one guy that is on the patches. He is in Europe.

Europe's most common testosterone method is undecanoate (less shots, longer acting). I personally wouldn't even consider being open to doing that until at least a year of being on a consistent dose.

I snagged this dosing schedule for undecanoate off this site

DOSING: Males over 18 years of age: The recommended dose of testosterone undecanoate is 750 mg (3 ml) intramuscularly; followed by 750 mg (3 ml) intramuscularly after 4 weeks, then 750 mg (3 ml) intramuscularly every 10 weeks thereafter.

Even if I had been taking the same dose for a long period of time, I would hesitate on signing up for an injection of a medicine that I could have problems with taking...but I would have to wait to get rid of it? 10 weeks? All just for convenience? No thanks.

I worry about this being prescribed for early transitioners. Everyones response to T is different. One guy may need half the dose tht the other guy needs. It take some to figure it all out. I have read cases of a guy having his first injection and then a week later going onto nebido. I would they would at least wait to change after his blook work (at 3 months), to tell you if his levels are in the right place.

Anyway, I am dozzing off here, actually even closing my eyes while I am typing. ha. night.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2015, 04:57 AM   #479
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

I've been injecting T intramuscularly for 16 years now, (.5cc weekly) without any problems...knock on wood. I admittedly take it less often now, no special reason other than I sometimes simply forget about taking it until I realize I am long overdue. At this point I doubt I would consider switching things up and trying the sub-q route, as interesting as it sounds, simply because why fix what's not broken? The intramuscular method has worked well for me.

I am interested in hearing from guys who do try the sub-q, and of their personal experiences using that method of injection.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2015, 06:24 AM   #480
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I've been injecting T intramuscularly for 16 years now, (.5cc weekly) without any problems...knock on wood. I admittedly take it less often now, no special reason other than I sometimes simply forget about taking it until I realize I am long overdue. At this point I doubt I would consider switching things up and trying the sub-q route, as interesting as it sounds, simply because why fix what's not broken? The intramuscular method has worked well for me.

I am interested in hearing from guys who do try the sub-q, and of their personal experiences using that method of injection.
I can see myself being less than eager to change if something has been working for me and I am comfortable with it. The concern with IM is scar tissue buildup in the muscle. Since subq it is injected into the fat, that is not an issue.

I like the small needles, and hardly feel the needle going in. However, like I said in my other post, I have never tried IM.

You may enjoy this article:

http://transguys.com/ref/research/su...ous-injections

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: