Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 11-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #1021
uglyboi

How Do You Identify?:
As the 'The Bourne Identity'
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cheerful pessimist
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,213 Times in 327 Posts
uglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputationuglyboi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Non Puff

I am coming up on my 2 year anniversary!! December 17th. Wow, I never thought I could stop smoking, so if you think you can't you CAN. It's hard but it is worth the agony that eventually goes away!!
uglyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to uglyboi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #1022
Scuba

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Flying Solo

Thanked 8,048 Times in 1,618 Posts
Scuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST Reputation

I agree with Uglyboi!! Been smoke-free for 3.5 years. Keep up the hard work. It's truly worth it!!!

~~Bob Richardson~~
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scuba For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #1023
Daktari

Ditto

Just over 3 and half years and so worth it. I'd be carrying portable oxygen by now if I hadn't.

You can, you can, you can!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #1024
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
Ditto

Just over 3 and half years and so worth it. I'd be carrying portable oxygen by now if I hadn't.

You can, you can, you can!
Yes, TF and I just hit 4 this past November. I love not being a slave to nicotine!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #1025
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Yes, TF and I just hit 4 this past November. I love not being a slave to nicotine!
Me too. The freedom from being in thrall to a 'drug' and that smoke in the ole lungs that ultimately makes me really, really ill is wonderful...as my story is posted here y'all know I'm an example of 'worst case scenario' consequences of smoking.

It just ain't worth it folks. If you end up like me, aged 50, and unable to do even simple things that you really, really like to do; With a lung disease that impinges negatively on your life every ducking day, you too can live with a massive regret that you damaged yourself beyond any repair

Smoker's lung disease; the 'gift' that keeps taking every damn year.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #1026
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

6 years in May. I don't have cravings or even want them.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #1027
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,909 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

Four years here; I get cranky with the folks smoking on the sidewalks now! I truly am happy to be a non-smoker, and I have no desire to smoke anymore.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #1028
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

just popped in a sec to say sorry for my abse but health created so couldnt be helped.

Still smoke free here. A when people are on the side of the road smoking, I remind myself they they couldnt understand the impact of the smoke..i surely didnt untill now.

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #1029
grenade

How Do You Identify?:
Full Flavor Femme

Thanked 8,062 Times in 2,121 Posts
grenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputation

Still smoke free! Almost 19 months now. Even smelling it on others makes me a bit nauseous now. No craving at all.

Happy Thanksgiving.
grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to grenade For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #1030
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,268 Times in 1,633 Posts
TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation
Default Stepping into the world of quitting my nasty smoking habit.

Hey ya'll. I"m in need of quitting smoking and support. Have any of you tried using the vapor cig. to quit, I mean the one that doesn't have nicotine in it. The smallest dose of nicotine I can get is 6% which is slightly close to the ultra lights I smoke. I bought the vapor cig yesterday with the 0 nicotine fluid to use for that hand to mouth habit. I am hoping this will work for me to help me quit. I've tried using chantix rx but that med makes me so depressed I can't get out of the black hole it puts me in and I'm already taking antidepressants so that's not an option to help.
I want to quit, I have asthma that is affected by the cold and heat, and I am required to smoke outdoors where I live. It's freaking colder than a well diggers ass out there and I"m tired of coughing my damn head off anymore.
I'm not sure if I am doing this right, but I'm giving it the good old try adn putting it in my mind that I need to quit and must quit. I could save several hundred dollars and put that stuff to use elsewhere in a months time. I don't smoke indoors, so my my things don"t smell like smoke nor does my apt. YAY for that much !!
Anywho, help a butch out with any tips you may have and root root root for me to help me quit. Thanks and I appreciate y'all in advance.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #1031
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruTexan View Post
Hey ya'll. I"m in need of quitting smoking and support. Have any of you tried using the vapor cig. to quit, I mean the one that doesn't have nicotine in it. The smallest dose of nicotine I can get is 6% which is slightly close to the ultra lights I smoke. I bought the vapor cig yesterday with the 0 nicotine fluid to use for that hand to mouth habit. I am hoping this will work for me to help me quit. I've tried using chantix rx but that med makes me so depressed I can't get out of the black hole it puts me in and I'm already taking antidepressants so that's not an option to help.
I want to quit, I have asthma that is affected by the cold and heat, and I am required to smoke outdoors where I live. It's freaking colder than a well diggers ass out there and I"m tired of coughing my damn head off anymore.
I'm not sure if I am doing this right, but I'm giving it the good old try adn putting it in my mind that I need to quit and must quit. I could save several hundred dollars and put that stuff to use elsewhere in a months time. I don't smoke indoors, so my my things don"t smell like smoke nor does my apt. YAY for that much !!
Anywho, help a butch out with any tips you may have and root root root for me to help me quit. Thanks and I appreciate y'all in advance.
I have heard those vapor things help people quit. I did it cold turkey, Chantix, and chewing on coffee stir straws.

Good luck!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #1032
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

When I logged on and saw this thread pop up on the screen it reminded me that today marks 3 years since I last smoked a cigarette. Quitting that habit is one of the best things I have ever done for myself.

I have faith in those of you who are trying to quit, just don't give up on yourself!

Congrats to those who have quit!

- Jesse
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2014, 12:35 AM   #1033
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,579 Times in 2,649 Posts
ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

Tomorrow marks my 6th year!
Congratulations to Jesse and others.
Every day gets easier.

Some fun facts--
  1. 20 minutes after you smoked your last cigarette, your HR (heart rate) will have alread started to return back to normal.
  2. After 2 hours without a cigarette, your heart rate and blood pressure will have decreased to near normal levels. Nicotine withdrawal symptoms usually start about two hours after your last cigarette. Early withdrawal symptoms include:
  3. intense cravings
  4. anxiety, tension, or frustration
  5. drowsiness or trouble sleeping
  6. increased appetite
  7. In just 12 hours after quitting smoking, the carbon monoxide in your body decreases to lower levels, and your blood oxygen levels increase to normal.
  8. In 24 hours, the heart attack rate for smokers is 70 percent higher than for nonsmokers. But, believe or not, just one full day after quitting smoking, your risk for heart attack will already have begun to drop. While you're not quite out of the woods yet, you're on your way!
  9. After 48 hours without a cigarette, your nerve endings will start to re-grow, and your ability to smell and taste is enhanced.
  10. 3 days--At this point, the nicotine will be completely out of your body. Unfortunately, that means that the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal will generally peak around this time. You may experience some physical symptoms such as headaches, nausea, or cramps in addition to the emotional symptoms mentioned above.
  11. To fight the mental symptoms, reward yourself for not smoking; use the money you would have spent on cigarettes to treat yourself to something nice.
  12. After a couple of weeks, you'll be able to exercise and perform physical activities without feeling winded and sick.
  13. One to 9 months-- About a month after you quit, your lungs begin to repair. Inside them, the cilia—the tiny, hair-like organelles that push mucus out—will start to repair themselves and function properly again. With the cilia now able to do their job, they will help to reduce your risk of infection.
  14. The one-year mark is a big one. After a year without smoking, your risk for heart disease is lowered by 50 percent compared to when you were still smoking!!
  15. 5 years -- A number of the substances released in the burning of tobacco—carbon monoxide chief among them—cause your blood vessels to narrow, which increases your risk of having a stroke. After five to 15 years of being smoke-free, your risk of having a stroke is the same as someone who doesn't smoke.
  16. Ten years after quitting, your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas also decreases.
  17. Fifteen years of non-smoking will bring your risk of heart disease back to the same level as someone who doesn't smoke.

Keep fighting!!
ahk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2014, 03:21 AM   #1034
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

As of the 4th I have been smoke free 23 months...Wasn't able to post.

For everyone else trying or who have quit, KEEP UP THE GREAT JOB!

Blessings to you as well.

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #1035
Loren_Q

How Do You Identify?:
Loren. If you want to know about me, just ask.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her, but I'm not that picky.
Relationship Status:
it's complicated...

Loren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
First off, go you! Getting to the place of "I gotta quit" is hard, I'm glad you're making that choice.

I'm one of those folks who quit via vaping. I started vaping December 22nd 2012 and I've had 6 cigarettes since then (all in Jan/Feb while going through some tough personal times).

Most of my liquids are 0 or 6mg. I started at 12mg and still have one "just in case" bottle of 12mg.

So far, this has been the only thing that works at keeping the craving at bay. In the past I've tried cold turkey, patches, nicorette, Zyban, Chantix. I may have stopped smoking but the craving never really left and would eventually get the best of me.

For me vaping satisfies about 90% of the craving, I can handle the rest. This is the most comfortable I've been about not smoking. I haven't had any ill effects and don't foresee them.

I hope vaping helps you. There's a (not active) thread about vaping here http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...ead.php?t=6228. It's got a lot of good info.

I've gotten some flack about 'substituting' but I'm okay with substituting burning, toxic material know to cause cancer with vaporized 'generally known to be safe' material used in food products and asthma inhalers.

"Everything in the world is about sex, except sex. Sex is about power."
Oscar Wilde
Loren_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Loren_Q For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #1036
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Cold turkey, a lot of carrots and keeping my hands busy. 2 weeks of welbutrin (sp)
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #1037
Redsunflower

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Redsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST Reputation

I started a cold turkey quit on 29th December 2013.

Day 9 almost completed.

This time I have the help of a sponsor and he's making all the difference.

I'm doing it this time.

Redsunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Redsunflower For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #1038
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,579 Times in 2,649 Posts
ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

I quit cold turkey.
And....
LOTS of Juicy Fruit gum. Everytime I wanted a cig I qould pop some gum in my mouth.

Good luck TruTexan - every day gets easier at first its hard but once you get past the craving stage you will feel awesome!
ahk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2014, 06:14 AM   #1039
Redsunflower

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Redsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST ReputationRedsunflower Has the BEST Reputation

Day 11 and I'm still going strong.

Today is not easy. In fact I feel a little bit nuts. I'm going out for a run in a minute to burn up adrenalin and try and feel a bit calmer.

Well done to everyone in the process of quitting and trying to get to a more comfortable place. We can totally do it.
Redsunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redsunflower For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2014, 06:34 AM   #1040
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsunflower View Post
Day 11 and I'm still going strong.

Today is not easy. In fact I feel a little bit nuts. I'm going out for a run in a minute to burn up adrenalin and try and feel a bit calmer.

Well done to everyone in the process of quitting and trying to get to a more comfortable place. We can totally do it.
Redsunflower, you can do this! Exercise definitely helped me. It burns off the restless. Good for you for quitting!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: