Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 12-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #1461
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post
Florida's Pam Bondi has filed an appeal with the SCOTUS, asking that the stay on same sex marriage be extended past January 5th, after the Federal appeals court told her no. Clarence Thomas will make that decision within the next few days.

Tennessee has decided that they are very happy since their appeals court upheld the ban on same sex marriage, so they have asked the SCOTUS to stay out of state buisness! Asshats.....

There are now 4 pending cases before the SCOTUS, making it a strong possibility that they will rule on marriage equality before the end of this term.
The SCOTUS today refused to extend the stay on same-sex marriage in Florida, past the date
of 1/5 which was set when the ban was overturned. Marriage equality begins in Florida on 1/6; wtg Florida!!

Iamkari, did you ever think you would see the day?
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #1462
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default SCOTUS news....

Quote:
The SCOTUS has distributed the appeal of the Louisiana decision, upholding the state marriage ban, for a review at thier conference on 1/9. As of now, it is the only case out of all Marriage equality cases pending that will be reviewed.

A review does not mean the case will be heard...the SCOTUS can decide to not take up the issue, at which time Louisiana's ban will stand. I personally think this case was choosen to put an end to all of the bans currently in place, but it could be wishful thinking.

If the court is going to review any of the other cases currently pending, they will advise by the close of business on 12/23.
The SCOTUS has distrbuted 4 other cases for review at the 1/9 conference, all from the 6th district where the Federal appeals court upheld the voter approved marriage bans.

At the review they will vote on whether or not to take up these cases before the June 2015 end of term. If they vote to hear the cases, they will do so by April, and then post the decisions by close of term.

With the confusion going on in several states, I hope they will do the right thing and speak up
on this issue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2014, 11:42 PM   #1463
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
The SCOTUS today refused to extend the stay on same-sex marriage in Florida, past the date
of 1/5 which was set when the ban was overturned. Marriage equality begins in Florida on 1/6; wtg Florida!!

Iamkari, did you ever think you would see the day?
The last that I heard, most county clerks down here are waiting for further clarification from the judge, as to whether his ruling was meant to apply to all of Florida, or just the county in which the original case was filed. Until that clarification is issued, the word is that most county clerks will NOT be issuing marriage licences.
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2014, 02:05 AM   #1464
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeest View Post
The last that I heard, most county clerks down here are waiting for further clarification from the judge, as to whether his ruling was meant to apply to all of Florida, or just the county in which the original case was filed. Until that clarification is issued, the word is that most county clerks will NOT be issuing marriage licences.
Very true.

Like Florida, there are several states still fighting the fight; which makes it that much more critical that the SCOTUS steps up and resolves the question of same-sex marriage one and for all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #1465
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeest View Post
A Federal Judge ruled on Thursday (yesterday) that ALL courthouses are required to begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples on 1/6.

At this time, 5 counties have said they will issue the licenses, but in order to avoid having to marry same-sex couples, they will CEASE all marriages at the courthouses.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #1466
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default Luxembourg and Scotland

On Thursday 1/1/15, Luxembourg was added to the countries with marriage equality!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #1467
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

All I want to know is when I can color in Florida on my HRC map stuck on my refrigerator as one of the states that recognizes gay marriage. They don't have it marked on the HRC map site, so I am uncertain as to what to do.

This is very complicated and my highlighter is waiting.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #1468
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
All I want to know is when I can color in Florida on my HRC map stuck on my refrigerator as one of the states that recognizes gay marriage. They don't have it marked on the HRC map site, so I am uncertain as to what to do.

This is very complicated and my highlighter is waiting.
I think you are pretty safe to color in Florida as of 1/6, as the SCOTUS has refused to extend the stay past that date, and the Federal Court ruled yesterday that all counties must issue licenses.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:18 PM   #1469
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default Florida

Quote:
I think you are pretty safe to color in Florida as of 1/6, as the SCOTUS has refused to extend the stay past that date, and the Federal Court ruled yesterday that all counties must issue licenses.
The Florida Judge who put the stay in place, lifted it today ahead of schedule and marriages have already begun.

Congratulations to Florida, the 36th state where we have marriage equality!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #1470
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

Ms T.
Thank you once again for all you have done, for years now, to keep us all in the know about the growing universality of legality of same sex marriages.

Same sex marriages are legal in Florida!!! I am overwhelmed by this, as I never believed it would happen in my life time.

In 1971, in Kalamazoo, Michigan, I was a member of the Gay Liberation Front. We were doing class room information sessions at colleges, and providing speakers for clubs and organizations who would agree to work with us. At that time, homosexual acts were still illegal in many states. Police officers sweeping through a gay bar, arresting all patrons, particularly male patrons, was common. Our brothers and sisters were hauled off to jail, fined or imprisoned. Many lost their jobs and their families. Some lost their lives.

They, and those of us who survived; who marched, protested, voted, wrote letters, opened our hearts to our friends and families, celebrated every little victory, and wept over every little loss, have made much progress. Today I am proud and happy. It is satisfying to know that in some very small way, I contributed to this progress. It is another time to celebrate.

Now there are other things that I dare to hope to live to see happen: Marriage equality in the remaining states, SCOTUS decisions that federalize and confirm this equality, elimination of job. housing, healthcare and all other forms of discrimination against and among LGBTQ folk, etc

This is a happy and blessed day for me. Whether or not you are interested in marrying, Brothers and Sisters, in my state and most others, you are free to make that choice. May it soon be true for all people in all places.
Many many Smooches.
Keri

iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #1471
Cailin

How Do You Identify?:
Female.. and it's pronounced "cah-leen", not cay-lin
Preferred Pronoun?:
You
Relationship Status:
In one

Thanked 2,630 Times in 739 Posts
Cailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST Reputation

The news reports that Texas (yes... Texas) may have same-sex marriage by easter. Im not holding my breath, but it will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:40 AM   #1472
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,268 Times in 1,633 Posts
TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailin View Post
The news reports that Texas (yes... Texas) may have same-sex marriage by easter. Im not holding my breath, but it will be interesting to see what happens.
OMG I thought I would NEVER Live long enough to EVER see this happen in this southern redneck state in my lifetime. I cannot wait for the change to happen and I'm gonna have a sign up on my wall showing a Texas symbol with an Equal sign right smack dab in the middle of it. (not that I'm getting married mind you, but anything could happen while I'm still alive )
Old 01-06-2015, 03:20 AM   #1473
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babe, she, her, ella

Thanked 6,524 Times in 1,697 Posts
Canela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST Reputation
Default This couple in Iowa finally weds after 72 years of waiting....

Happiness is like a butterfly which,
when pursued, is always beyond our grasp,
but, if you will sit down quietly,
may alight upon you

~Nathaniel Hawthorne

Canela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #1474
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default Federal marriage

The Respect for marriage act was re-introduced yesterday in both the Senate and the House, by the Democrats and one lone Republican. The Bill was first introduced in 2009, BEFORE the SCOTUS decided on section 3.

Most of DOMA is still in place, and needs to be repealed through the Legislature. With the heavily Republican House and Senate currently seated, there will be slow, if any, progress on the bill.

While I am glad that Senator Feinstein (democrat california) continues to fight for us, I personally feel it will take the SCOTUS to bring marriage to all states, and to put a stop to all of the discrimination allowed in jobs, housing and other areas of importance in our lives.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #1475
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default This couple in Iowa finally weds after 72 years of waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canela View Post
Canela, Bless you. This needs repeating...
This couple in Iowa finally weds after 72 years of waiting.

WOW,
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #1476
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
Canela, Bless you. This needs repeating...
This couple in Iowa finally weds after 72 years of waiting.

WOW,
Iowa has had same sex marriage since 2009, I'm not sure what else might have held them back...unless this is an old file picture.

In any case, they were able to marry in their lifetimes, and that is indeed a blessing.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #1477
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babe, she, her, ella

Canela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST Reputation
Default Yay!

After 42 years together, Lily Tomlin and her longtime girlfriend Jane Wagner finally tied the knot on New Year's Eve 2013.

Chicago Tribune columnist Liz Smith first broke the news, writing that "My longtime friends, Lily Tomlin and her love, the writer Jane Wagner, got married on the eve of 2014 … My wish is that their happiness will be as great as their combined talents."

Tomlin, 74, has hinted that nuptials might be on the horizon after the historic Supreme Court ruling in June 2013 striking down the Defense of Marriage Act.

"You didn't think that would happen," Tomlin told E! News in September. "It's pretty remarkable. You don't really need to get married, but marriage is awfully nice."

http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainme....1568794#bmb=1

may alight upon you

~Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2015, 02:07 PM   #1478
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babe, she, her, ella

My Texas is up for a vote today on marriage equality. I've got my fingers crossed....

may alight upon you

~Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #1479
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default More news from the courts

Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi are up for a 5th District Federal appeals court hearing tomorrow, whlie the SCOTUS will decide tomorrow if they will take up the case of marriage equaility within the current term.

The decision for the 5th District could take months to determine, while we could know as early as tomorrow, ( but more likely on Monday) if the SCOTUS will hear the cases.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #1480
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default Georgia

Yesterday in Georgia, a Federal Court Judge refused to dismiss a lawsuit asking that the ban on same-sex marriages be ruled unconstitutional; no date is currently set for the case to be heard.