Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 09-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #241
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,543 Times in 4,141 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsAndKisses View Post
I think this fact will fit in here.. did you know that body odor is created when bacteria on your body eat sweat then release gas. My first post on this website and I choose farting bacteria, job well done! This is the only interesting thing I have ever heard on ESPN
I love it fart facts!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #242
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/...cean+crossing/

Another 16 yo attempts circumnavigation.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #243
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
"Based on Friday's closing price of $30.10 per ounce, the trove would be worth more than $210 million today. Odyssey Marine said it would be 'the largest known precious metal cargo ever recovered from the sea.'"

Wow....
Old 09-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #244
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15...-26790237.html

Tsunami pods.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #245
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,377 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I want one
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #246
BugsAndKisses

How Do You Identify?:
ladybug, lover of little things
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Settled

BugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST ReputationBugsAndKisses Has the BEST Reputation
Default Galaxy's centre tastes of raspberries and smells of rum, say astronomers

Astronomers searching for the building blocks of life in a giant dust cloud at the heart of the Milky Way have concluded that it tastes vaguely of raspberries.

The unanticipated discovery follows years of work by astronomers who trained their 30m radio telescope on the enormous ball of dust and gas in the hope of spotting complex molecules that are vital for life.

Finding amino acids in interstellar space is a Holy Grail for astrobiologists, as this would raise the possibility of life emerging on other planets after being seeded with the molecules.

In the latest survey, astronomers sifted through thousands of signals from Sagittarius B2, a vast dust cloud at the centre of our galaxy. While they failed to find evidence for amino acids, they did find a substance called ethyl formate, the chemical responsible for the flavour of raspberries.

"It does happen to give raspberries their flavour, but there are many other molecules that are needed to make space raspberries," Arnaud Belloche, an astronomer at the Max Planck Institute for Radio Astronomy in Bonn, told the Guardian.

Curiously, ethyl formate has another distinguishing characteristic: it also smells of rum.

The astronomers used the IRAM telescope in Spain to analyse electromagnetic radiation emitted by a hot and dense region of Sagittarius B2 that surrounds a newborn star.

Radiation from the star is absorbed by molecules floating around in the gas cloud, which is then re-emitted at different energies depending on the type of molecule.

While scouring their data, the team also found evidence for the lethal chemical propyl cyanide in the same cloud. The two molecules are the largest yet discovered in deep space.

Dr Belloche and his colleague Robin Garrod at Cornell University in New York have collected nearly 4,000 distinct signals from the cloud but have only analysed around half of these.

"So far we have identified around 50 molecules in our survey, and two of those had not been seen before," said Belloche.

The results are being presented today at the European Week of Astronomy and Space Science at the University of Hertfordshire.

Last year, the team came tantalisingly close to finding amino acids in space with the discovery of a molecule that can be used to make them, called amino acetonitrile.

The latest discoveries have boosted the researchers' morale because the molecules are as large as the simplest amino acid, glycine. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins and are widely seen as being critical for complex life to exist anywhere in the universe.

"I wouldn't be surprised if we find an amino acid out there in the coming years," said Belloche.

Previously, astronomers have detected a variety of large molecules, including alcohols, acids and chemicals called aldehydes.

"The difficulty in searching for complex molecules is that the best astronomical sources contain so many different molecules that their 'fingerprints' overlap and are difficult to disentangle," Belloche said.

The molecules are thought to form when chemicals that already exist on some dust grains, such as ethanol, link together to make more complex chains.

"There is no apparent limit to the size of molecules that can be formed by this process, so there's good reason to expect even more complex organic molecules to be there," said Garrod.

source : http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...s-astrobiology

Isn't that kinda romantic in a Trekkie sort of way <3
BugsAndKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BugsAndKisses For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #247
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

http://news.yahoo.com/hairy-crazy-an...150823360.html

Crazy ants, we will never, live in the south, ever!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #248
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation

I had the misfortune of being bitten by the well named "fire ant" when I lived in Texas and made the mistake of resting my hand on a log as I was videotaping a scene. I won't soon forget that feeling.

Disturbing story, Corkey.

Quote:
http://news.yahoo.com/hairy-crazy-an...150823360.html

Crazy ants, we will never, live in the south, ever!
SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #249
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNotHer View Post
I had the misfortune of being bitten by the well named "fire ant" when I lived in Texas and made the mistake of resting my hand on a log as I was videotaping a scene. I won't soon forget that feeling.

Disturbing story, Corkey.
My wife was bit in Texas as well, she is allergic to them, like I said never will go south.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #250
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

http://news.yahoo.com/scientists-wor...184040262.html

Arctic ozone levels.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #251
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technolo...224503447.html

Electric airplane wins NASA prize.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #252
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

http://news.yahoo.com/3-weird-alien-...200007406.html

News from the Kepler telescope.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #253
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/snapsho...318537744.html

I just thought this was pretty flippen cool.
Milky Way a meteor and the Northern Lights all in one shot.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #254
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

http://news.yahoo.com/debris-doomsda...164605072.html

Near earth comet this Sunday.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #255
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Just to be clear (because there's some Internet memes that are taking this pass altogether the wrong way) what is going to pass us is the debris of the comet. It's dust, rocks, little bits at this point. A solar storm broke the comet up in August so what's going to go by us is what is *left* of the comet.

Remember that comets are, essentially, large space snowballs. As they approach the inner solar system they start to melt which is why comets have tails--the tail is the melting ice and the dust that is going with it. As they exit the solar system, provided they had enough mass to survive the trip to the inner solar system, they refreeze the further they get from the Sun. Don't know what this comet will do on its way out but if anyone tells you that there is the least thing to be concerned about, you can tell them with confidence that there's absolutely *nothing* to worry about. Nothing. As one of the scientists quoted in the article said, your *car* exerts a whole lot more gravitational influence on the Earth than this comet will.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #256
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadgeek View Post
Just to be clear (because there's some Internet memes that are taking this pass altogether the wrong way) what is going to pass us is the debris of the comet. It's dust, rocks, little bits at this point. A solar storm broke the comet up in August so what's going to go by us is what is *left* of the comet.

Remember that comets are, essentially, large space snowballs. As they approach the inner solar system they start to melt which is why comets have tails--the tail is the melting ice and the dust that is going with it. As they exit the solar system, provided they had enough mass to survive the trip to the inner solar system, they refreeze the further they get from the Sun. Don't know what this comet will do on its way out but if anyone tells you that there is the least thing to be concerned about, you can tell them with confidence that there's absolutely *nothing* to worry about. Nothing. As one of the scientists quoted in the article said, your *car* exerts a whole lot more gravitational influence on the Earth than this comet will.

Cheers
Aj
Yep just a minor comet that has been blasted away essentially, one will be hard pressed to see it.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #257
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Neutrino speed may have been miscalculated

A few weeks ago, quite a bit of buzz was created when CERN announced that preliminary results from an experiment ran clocked neutrinos moving faster than light. As it turns out it may be that this is a calculation error having to do with using a time signal from a GPS satellite to synchronize the clocks. The problem is that the *satellite* is in motion in relationship to the Earth which means it's in motion relative to the detector. The upshot of this is that there was an error of ~32 nanoseconds on both the sending and detector ends of the experiment. That would equal an error of ~64 nanoseconds. The FTL-neutrinos were arriving ~60 nanoseconds ahead of the light. Meaning that in reality the neutrinos were likely moving at a substantial portion of the speed of light but not exceeding it.

It appears that once again, Special Relativity has stood up to yet *another* challenge. As I hear more I'll post here.

Full article is here.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #258
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

http://news.yahoo.com/rapidly-inflat...142805969.html

Rapidly inflating supervolcano creating mystery.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #259
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

http://news.yahoo.com/2-000-old-supe...203402466.html

Supernova mystery solved.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #260
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/ar...145206810.html

Kublai Kahn's fleet found off Nagasaki Japan.