Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 12-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
HoneyedChrysanthemum

Question MIGRAINES!

what do YOU do for migraines? i noticed that i've had a lot of misspelling on my posts tonight. i believe that is due to a migraine. i KNOW that i should not be on the 'puter when i have, one just that i'm so bored and in pain and hoping to distract myself!
the first thing that i do is take my migraine meds (non-triptan, i am allergic to them), aaply some aromatherapy to my forehead and temples, and laydown in a cool, dark place and listen to ocean waves or other soothing sounds while i try to meditate.
if after 4 ours has passed, i take more meds and an aniti-nausea med, b/c by now i'm feeling nauseated. then i lay down , listen to soothing music or nothing at all, and try to sleep til the migraine passes.
How do YOU know it's a migraine?
i get an aura: flasshing lights and one haf of my vision goes.
my teeth on whichever side the migraine is hurt.
the veins in my temple start to throb.
my R side hurts like h%ll.
pres
Old 12-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I'm fortunate in this regard. I tend to get very mild migraines that are nothing that I can't handle while out and about or at work. With mine, I get the teeth aching, a very specific pain, light sensitivity (though my eyes are naturally very sensitive, so it's nothing extreme) and a queasy tummy. I do tend to get a bit short-tempered too.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Because you get the aura, you need to talk to your Doctor, medications will help. Ice to the base of your head and to your eyebrows will help with the nausea. Pinch between your thumb and forefinger, in the web of your hand...hard. Go lay down and rest in a no light room, take some form of anti inflammatory such as ibuprofen, over the counter. And tomorrow call your Doctor.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

I've got a migraine and it's been over 48 hours. I've tried a trick my dad told me, which is to put my feet in very hot water/cold water, to see if it's from vasso-dilatation or vasso-restriction. the ice water makes it worse, the hot water better: vassorestriction caused. however, the relief only lasts about 10 minutes and the NSAIDs I have don't even touch the sides of the pain. If I do manage to get some sleep, I dream about my brain getting razor cuts. I will be seeing the doctor in the morning but I was rather hoping anyone had any more/tricks suggestions (no nausea, just blurred vision, kicking pain, side of face/teeth/sinus/back of head) - ? I've not been able to "rest" because I've had it about 60 hours now and I do have to get on with things and the pain is becoming a bit surreal (and yes dark does help but doesn't stop it).

I'll be able to call the doc's in about another 6 hours.

suggestions anyone?
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybarbara View Post
I've got a migraine and it's been over 48 hours. I've tried a trick my dad told me, which is to put my feet in very hot water/cold water, to see if it's from vasso-dilatation or vasso-restriction. the ice water makes it worse, the hot water better: vassorestriction caused. however, the relief only lasts about 10 minutes and the NSAIDs I have don't even touch the sides of the pain. If I do manage to get some sleep, I dream about my brain getting razor cuts. I will be seeing the doctor in the morning but I was rather hoping anyone had any more/tricks suggestions (no nausea, just blurred vision, kicking pain, side of face/teeth/sinus/back of head) - ? I've not been able to "rest" because I've had it about 60 hours now and I do have to get on with things and the pain is becoming a bit surreal (and yes dark does help but doesn't stop it).

I'll be able to call the doc's in about another 6 hours.

suggestions anyone?

Ice at the occipital (base of the skull) and a neck massage with gentle but firm stretch of the neck. Hand under the neck supporting the curve of the neck. Or use a rolled towel under your neck. The stretching will help the tension in your nerves.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

I used to have them for five out of seven days of the week. So I've tried just about everything. The ice pack to the back of the head/back of the neck (where ever provides you the most relief) is actually what worked the best for me. And if you've been taking any pain killer/anti-inflammatory (which I'm sure you have if you've had it for a couple of days - stop immediately. If you go into rebound - or are in rebound now - it won't get better until you stop taking them. I take a maximum of three dosages of Advil and then just tough it out, because any more and it's just a revolving door: pain --> Advil --> more pain caused by the Advil.
It's strange, but eating helps too. One theory is that the blood has to go to the stomach for digestion, so it helps relieve the dilation of blood vessels in the head that's the cause of pain.
There are a million little things. But those are the couple that I have reduced my treatment to, because they are simple, work the best and cause no other symptoms. Quiet, dark - I think that goes without saying for any migrainer.
Feel better Barb!

Sue
Old 02-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,354 Times in 2,670 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

I have used a bag of frozen peas instead of an ice pack.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 07:40 PM   #8
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
I'm fortunate in this regard. I tend to get very mild migraines that are nothing that I can't handle while out and about or at work. With mine, I get the teeth aching, a very specific pain, light sensitivity (though my eyes are naturally very sensitive, so it's nothing extreme) and a queasy tummy. I do tend to get a bit short-tempered too.
This is how it is now. Back in the day, I used to get doozies with all kinds of symptoms that were not fun. I read a book called Your Body's Many Cries for Water and started drinking a lot more water. As it turned out, I was perpetually dehydrated, which does all kinds of bad things to the body. Once I started taking in more water, my migraines got a lot easier to manage.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 07:05 AM   #9
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I started getting migraines a few years ago that would last a day and then I was fine. Starting about 2 years ago they changed so I now have it for 3 days with a 4th needed for recovery. I've kept a food journal, sleep journal, water intake record, etc. and there is nothing that shows a common element. It's not hormone-related either. I had decided that it was due to perimenopause but there is no change in my hormone levels so that isn't it. They are so debilitating. The hangover after feels like there I have brain damage. I just had an MRI done Thursday and they found nothing of concern, just some gliosis which is apparently common for people who get them. I am concerned because not only is it awful to go through, but preventative meds don't work and I am getting ready to start my year-long clinical placement, plus continue my full-time job and schoolwork and I cannot miss work or time off from my placement. I am really worried about this. So, I am seeing a neurologist in a couple of weeks and I know that botox shots in my head and neck may be an option. I am wondering if anyone has had this done and how it worked, or is working out for them. Thanks.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post: