Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 08-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #201
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Well I finally got to the gym and yes I did Zumba and it was hard and tiring..and I hurt for three days afterward but went back to do aqua fit and that was a workout too as well. Zumba is again tomorrow but I have this suckey internship for school as a MA so won't be able to get back until Saturday again and yoga on Sunday, trying to build core muscles as I read back in the thread!!
lipstixgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #202
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

These FiveFinger Vibrams have been awesome for my running. It used to take me a couple of days to recover from running and now it takes a few hours (ranges from 2-8 hours depending on how much water I've had over the course of previous days).

As of today, I'm down 15lbs. Not a lot but a good start. I did plateau for a bit and the running has been helping to break that plateau. The next few weeks should help more since I'm not caught up in teaching.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #203
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Help advice please..Im haveing a discusion with someone about soda..diet vs regular as well as on what else to drink besides water wich I can drink if I put some flavor in it.The water is fine its just after a fue glases I go back to something else.Anyhoo my question is about soda..the diet sodasa are suposed to be O's all the way down the ingreedence list regular soda has a bunch of carbs ,sodium,sugars ect.I hear diet sodas arent good either for u so whay call then diet of they casn be as bad as regular soda..come on,what gives?Thereason im asking is I hae gotten stuck on a palteau and cant drop below it no mater how hard I work out and cutting my food iontake down causes me to wipe out so...now what.I could exersise harder but will blow my back out .If I drink juices that have as much sugars and carbs as anything else..sports drinks,the ones ive tryed suck.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #204
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
Help advice please..Im haveing a discusion with someone about soda..diet vs regular as well as on what else to drink besides water wich I can drink if I put some flavor in it.The water is fine its just after a fue glases I go back to something else.Anyhoo my question is about soda..the diet sodasa are suposed to be O's all the way down the ingreedence list regular soda has a bunch of carbs ,sodium,sugars ect.I hear diet sodas arent good either for u so whay call then diet of they casn be as bad as regular soda..come on,what gives?Thereason im asking is I hae gotten stuck on a palteau and cant drop below it no mater how hard I work out and cutting my food iontake down causes me to wipe out so...now what.I could exersise harder but will blow my back out .If I drink juices that have as much sugars and carbs as anything else..sports drinks,the ones ive tryed suck.
Try adding a slice of lemon to your water or tea (sans sugar and actual tea leaves/bag -- could create "sun" tea). Diet sodas, with aspartame, screw up your body's response to glucose (sugar). It thinks it has sugar from it but doesn't. I've actually found that when I cut out all soda (at the time it was ONLY diet) I lost an additional 5lbs.

I recently started drinking it but I limit myself to no more than one glass a day. I do drink upwards of 4-6 32oz bottles of filtered water a day. If I stick with water specifically, I tend to lose weight easier.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #205
chefhmboyrd

How Do You Identify?:
man
Preferred Pronoun?:
beef
Relationship Status:
Uncle Daddy Snap

Thanked 2,845 Times in 898 Posts
chefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:

sodas are bad umkay!?!?

diet regular is doesn't matter. it isn't real food. it is chemicals, and things like aspertame and sucralose actually inhibit the breadown of fats into usable energy, and convert to dangerous chemicals in our system.

it has been a belief of mine that since the introduction of diet soda, more people have developed things like restless leg syndrome and fibromialgia.(sp?)
as well as the "rationalization" that if i eat a big fatty burger/fry meal, the Diet Coke will cancel out the bad stuff........

that being said, i do enjoy a nice ice cold soda, but i have weaned myself off diet mostly. drink the occasional energy drink, or "leaded" soda (reg)

the less i drink, the more i realize how yuck i feel when i do. same with wheat and potatoes and other high carb stuff. i like it when i am eating it cause it tastes good, but no sooner than it hits bottom, i am bloaty and miserable.
will i ever learn?

@

Last edited by chefhmboyrd; 08-09-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: fat dew claws
chefhmboyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chefhmboyrd For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #206
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Help advice please..Im haveing a discusion with someone about soda..diet vs regular as well as on what else to drink besides water wich I can drink if I put some flavor in it.The water is fine its just after a fue glases I go back to something else.
I would suggest cutting out the soda entirely and pretty much anything but water. I have a client who was the same way in that she didn't like water and needed to flavour it in order to drink it. That was two months ago and now she has no problems drinking 2-3 litres of unflavoured water a day, and she's also cut out diet soda (which she used to drink a lot of) completely. You just have to slowly adapt yourself to it. Actually I've had quite a few clients that have insisted to me that they can't drink unflavoured water when I've told them they need to drink more...few months later and they've got no problems with it.

Quote:
Anyhoo my question is about soda..the diet sodasa are suposed to be O's all the way down the ingreedence list regular soda has a bunch of carbs ,sodium,sugars ect.
What you're talking about are the nutritional facts, no the ingredients list. The nutritional facts may be all 0's but if you look at the actual ingredients list you'll notice they're just as full of crap. Same with anything that calls itself "diet" anything. The way they make a product into "diet" form is by taking out fat or refined sugar, and replace them with artificial sweatners. The problem, also, is that the nutritional facts do not cover sugar alcohols and other aritificial sweatners, nor the shit-ton of chemicals they pour in there. Read the actual ingredients list to get an idea of how healthy something is. If you can't pronounce half of it, you probably shouldn't be putting it into your body.

Quote:
I hear diet sodas arent good either for u so whay call then diet of they casn be as bad as regular soda..come on,what gives?Thereason im asking is I hae gotten stuck on a palteau and cant drop below it no mater how hard I work out and cutting my food iontake down causes me to wipe out so...now what.I could exersise harder but will blow my back out .If I drink juices that have as much sugars and carbs as anything else..sports drinks,the ones ive tryed suck.
Because those companies don't actually give a rat's ass about people's health. There's an entire multi-billion dollar business in artificial sweatners, artificial flavours (for example, did you know that ethyl-2 methyl butrate is what creates the apple flavour in many products) and "natural" flavours (which only differ from artificial flavours in the method of their production).

I'd stay away from sports drinks or that flavoured "vitamin water." Stick to water.

Think of your food and drink as living vs. dead. Even that blue menu stuff people go on about is not something I'd ever want to put in my body. What you put in is what you get out.

You said you'd blow your back out if you exercise harder. What is the issue with your back? Has your doctor suggested you stay away from exercise, that you should not perform certain exercises? Are you using proper form, particularly in strengthening the lower back (usually the culprit)?
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #207
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

Just popping in to say 'HI'.

I just started working out about 3 weeks ago. Very slowly, very low weights. I'm waaaaaay out of shape and want to do it right and not hurt myself. Chefhmboyrd56 is my trainer, since he's a beefcake and knows alot about this stuff.

Just in three weeks I can tell a major difference. I can do more weights and/or reps, I can walk longer and my legs don't ache, and I can notice a little difference in how my clothes fit.

I really enjoy the working out when I'm alone with some tasty tunes cranked on the iPod and usually spend an hour at the gym. Just figuring out where I can eek out more time as I add different equipment and my workout gets longer.

A
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #208
Ryobi

How Do You Identify?:
TG Stone Butch. Over all, I identify by living my life.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/His

Thanked 1,238 Times in 357 Posts
Ryobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST Reputation

I have been really crunched for time lately. I'm having a hard time "finishing" a workout. I can only get through one far enough to feel amped. I cant finish one to the point where I can find some relaxation during or after. One of the reasons I workout is because I refuse to be medicated for ADD, it does help. I bought a bicycle a couple weeks ago. when I work in town, I ride that thinking it would help me feel like I completed a workout. It's like I just started one when I get to work or get home. (average 10 miles). My normal is 60 to 90 minutes. I'm only getting about 20 to 30.

I'm wondering if Yoga would help. I don't know anything about it and don't have time to learn it in a class at the gym. I do know that I could do yoga just about anywhere. My questions are:

Can I learn yoga quickly? (I'm pretty well versed on how the body works. I've just never done yoga)
Is there a particular DVD someone could recommend for a beginner?

Thank you in advance.

"To choose a word is to choose a world" Anonymous
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryobi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #209
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation
Default Diet sodas:

Thanks to all that replyed about this subject,I use to drink a 12 or more of regular soda a day,now its diet...about 4 a day along with crangrape or sugar free kool aid now and then.Where I use to live the water was awful..yellow water ..really it came out of the tap that way and the watrer department says it ok to drink.Now,I live where the water out of the tap is really good to drink..I got some lemons at the store and have a picture in the fridge for when I want some.I am working on drinking less soda a day as quickly as I can.I quit bthe ciggys and I know I can quit the sodas.Oh about rls..I have it but never thought that sodas could effect it nor did I consider some of my muscel twitches and pain may be from sodas.I really though it was from my back injury.Intresting thought.
One more question...fruit..I eat a lot of it.Plums,oranges,bannas,peaches and apples.Could that be puting too much sugars in my system,I do eat veggies and not to much red meat anymore,mostly chicken,fish or pork sometimes.
Recently I met with the sergons about my back injury..if I can lose another 50 pounds I can avoid sergery.This weight has go to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #210
Ryobi

How Do You Identify?:
TG Stone Butch. Over all, I identify by living my life.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/His

Thanked 1,238 Times in 357 Posts
Ryobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Rockin,

Diet Vs. regular. Let me see if I can explain this,

Soda is just plain bad. Diet sodas have more "salts" in them, not just sodium. (will cause water retention, which in most cases is not as good as it sounds)Artificial sweeteners have the same effect on the "craving center" of the brain as sugar or high fructose corn syrup. (more so most of the time.) People then, think it's ok to drink more diet soda. and they crave it.

I for years drank at least 4 cans of diet pepsi a day. when I learned how bad diet sodas are, I cut soda out completely. Within the next month, I had lost an additional 15lbs to the 6lbs (I think) That I had lost for the 2 months prior without any additional effort. I believe it was because I cut out the soda. I wasn't trying to lose weight at that time, it was just a residual effect.

Another way to think of it is, are "light" cigarettes any safer that "full flavor". Surely the answer is no. However, the marketing folks at the tobacco companies would like you to think so.

Good luck to you.

Quote:

"To choose a word is to choose a world" Anonymous
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ryobi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #211
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Default EnderD

The issue with my back is ..marked dischernation at L4-L5..no extrudes fragments..degenerative change at L3-L4.On the docs report he sugested epidural injections before surgery to see how it worked cause the surgery will be extensive ad quite invasive.He also said other treatments before surgery.Why he didnt just go ahead and do some of what he sugested ..workmans comp shut down any response to him.he wouldnt do anything without it even tho he could have.I ask him if I could go thrue rehab he said NO wouldnt do any good..BS says I. Now im going to Lsu med center,it took me a year to get in the program,the rehab ppl gave me exersises to do many I already doing.Im lifting weights,rideing a bike..my butt goes numb after 2 miles then I cant feel my leg or foot for a while when I stop and get off the bike.The weights im useing are not over ten pounds hand weights but I do 4 to 5 sets of diffrent moves and am doing 75 to 100 modified sit ups every other day,30 to 50 depends on the day leg extions and a fue smaller things .I feel better with the exersise just stay sore and have poped my sholder out as well as my back gets spazed out if I dont pay attention to the warnings I get to back off a day or two or even a week.Any way thats the story on the back and workouts..I should be iun better shape and lost more weight by now.Im trying to fiugre out what to do next to shed more weight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #212
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,717 Times in 5,082 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation
Default Advice?

I had a setback to my working out a little over a month ago when I tripped and fell on my left knee (An item had been left in the middle of a store aisle, and I didn't see it.). After getting x-rays that looked fine, I waited ten days and then resumed working out. Unfortunately I felt that everything was all better so I happily went right back into long, high intensity work-outs. On the fourth day of that, my pain returned, so I've been resting since then, and my knee has been improving. Rest is seeming to really help it. Luckily I have this month off work, which is great because at work I am running up and down stairs all day (a five story walk-up school building). During this time of resting it, I have also had an MRI of my knee and this showed no tears but noted "mild arthritic changes." I am not sure what this means and will likely go to a doctor to try and find out what exactly this means in my case. My plan is to wait until I get to the point where it feels pretty much normal but then when I exercise again to take it easy this time. Usually I do very high resistance/intensity with lower speed on bikes and elliptical machines. I am going to try reversing the equation and doing lower intensity with higher speeds instead. My thought is that this will make it easier on my joints. I'm someone who is heavyset yet loves to exercise. Lifting weights and doing cardio just gives me a great mood lift and also helps me to manage my weight to some degree. Anyway, given my injury, I thought I would ask if anyone has any advice? Thank you for taking the time to read this. I have found people on this thread to be very wise and supportive.
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #213
Dutch Leonard

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch

Tournaments Won: 7

Dutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST Reputation

Most of the time I have doctored myself with RICE- rest, ice, compression and elevation. If you hurt something, stop working it, ice it, bandage it and if it's something like an ankle or knee, keep it raised as much as possible. When I get twinges, I back off.

Lately, I have had pain in one knee doing heavy leg presses. I tried backing the weight off and it actually felt worse. I took a good look at the picture on the leg press machine where they show you how to work it and the guy in the picture was doing his presses with his thighs above parallel. I had been putting the seat as low as it would go, because I had been taught to do full squats in a weightlifting (Olympic style) club back in the day.

Once I raised the seat on the leg press machine so my thighs were just above parallel, I could go heavy again without it bothering my knee.
Dutch Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dutch Leonard For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #214
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,763 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks to all that replyed about this subject,I use to drink a 12 or more of regular soda a day,now its diet...about 4 a day along with crangrape or sugar free kool aid now and then.Where I use to live the water was awful..yellow water ..really it came out of the tap that way and the watrer department says it ok to drink.Now,I live where the water out of the tap is really good to drink..I got some lemons at the store and have a picture in the fridge for when I want some.I am working on drinking less soda a day as quickly as I can.I quit bthe ciggys and I know I can quit the sodas.Oh about rls..I have it but never thought that sodas could effect it nor did I consider some of my muscel twitches and pain may be from sodas.I really though it was from my back injury.Intresting thought.
One more question...fruit..I eat a lot of it.Plums,oranges,bannas,peaches and apples.Could that be puting too much sugars in my system,I do eat veggies and not to much red meat anymore,mostly chicken,fish or pork sometimes.
Recently I met with the sergons about my back injury..if I can lose another 50 pounds I can avoid sergery.This weight has go to go.

Hey you!

Try this: get yourself a Brita filter and use that for your water. It will end up being cheaper than bottled and taste WAY better than tap. Then, go to any store...grocery....Walmart....etc and go to the Koolaid aisle. Find the drink mixes to put into your water. Buy some. Use them and you'll be able to drink more water, which is better for you. I like Ocean Spray's White Peach Cran and Great Value's Orange and Great Value's Fitness Mix (has added vitamins 'n stuff but that's not why I buy it) Strawberry Kiwi. I drink a LOT more water when it doesn't taste like water.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #215
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
He’s my scorpio boo bear.

Thanked 32,039 Times in 9,966 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
I had a setback to my working out a little over a month ago when I tripped and fell on my left knee (An item had been left in the middle of a store aisle, and I didn't see it.). After getting x-rays that looked fine, I waited ten days and then resumed working out. Unfortunately I felt that everything was all better so I happily went right back into long, high intensity work-outs. On the fourth day of that, my pain returned, so I've been resting since then, and my knee has been improving. Rest is seeming to really help it. Luckily I have this month off work, which is great because at work I am running up and down stairs all day (a five story walk-up school building). During this time of resting it, I have also had an MRI of my knee and this showed no tears but noted "mild arthritic changes." I am not sure what this means and will likely go to a doctor to try and find out what exactly this means in my case. My plan is to wait until I get to the point where it feels pretty much normal but then when I exercise again to take it easy this time. Usually I do very high resistance/intensity with lower speed on bikes and elliptical machines. I am going to try reversing the equation and doing lower intensity with higher speeds instead. My thought is that this will make it easier on my joints. I'm someone who is heavyset yet loves to exercise. Lifting weights and doing cardio just gives me a great mood lift and also helps me to manage my weight to some degree. Anyway, given my injury, I thought I would ask if anyone has any advice? Thank you for taking the time to read this. I have found people on this thread to be very wise and supportive.
I hope your knee gets better Jennifer!!!!! ((( YOU )))

I just started a new regimen today: I'm off for three weeks until my final semester that begins the end of August (leading into September) and I live about a mile (or more) from a great place to do a morning walk! The hiking trail surrounds a heavily forested golf course and it's about a two mile distance, doing the course one time. So I walk to the site, do two laps and then walk home - for a total of about 4-5 miles. I wanted to jumpstart my physical activity again because when I am busy with homework duties, I often end up sitting for hours just to read -- and then if that isn't enough, I often sit for hours just typing out my items that are due. What I consume for food is heathy and I get plenty of water in (during the course of the day - about 2 qts?), so I am focusing on revving up my exercise and since today was day one - my legs were on fire today, but they are better tonight. I think I will do a series of stretches before I head out in the morning and then do a little rest break between my laps and stetch a bit more, then see if this helps socialize me into my new routine. I've decided that if I can lose about 25 pounds between now and the end of October and then see if I can lose another 25 by the Christmas/New Years holidays, I figure that I will be in the best shape I have been in quite awhile. My wieght tends to yo-yo, but I think it's due to inactivity and having to sit for extended periods of time. I hope my plan of action succeeds (where weight loss is concerned) and also, to help me to feel better and to instill a stronger ethic for taking care of my physical health needs.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #216
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Ive been drinking water for the most part for a couple of days and found its not so bad at all,Today I got some lemons to put it it to gove it some taste.I only have drank less than two cans of soda beleave it or not since I started with water for the most part.I aso got some drink flavore but am stayig away from anything with sapertaine in it,at least as much as humanly possable.I have been hearing a lot of bad stuff about what it dose to ones system and realise I am haveing some of the digestive probs they r talking about and r takeing two meds to deal with it..now if I dont injest any I should over time have that solved..I hope.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #217
deeperstill

How Do You Identify?:
femme

deeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputation
Default *closing my eyes, humming loudly, not hearing you*

Dear Ryobi,

bustin my bubble dude!
i love my diet coke.
LOVE
*pouting big time*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryobi View Post
Hi Rockin,

Diet Vs. regular. Let me see if I can explain this,

Soda is just plain bad. Diet sodas have more "salts" in them, not just sodium. (will cause water retention, which in most cases is not as good as it sounds)Artificial sweeteners have the same effect on the "craving center" of the brain as sugar or high fructose corn syrup. (more so most of the time.) People then, think it's ok to drink more diet soda. and they crave it.

I for years drank at least 4 cans of diet pepsi a day. when I learned how bad diet sodas are, I cut soda out completely. Within the next month, I had lost an additional 15lbs to the 6lbs (I think) That I had lost for the 2 months prior without any additional effort. I believe it was because I cut out the soda. I wasn't trying to lose weight at that time, it was just a residual effect.

Another way to think of it is, are "light" cigarettes any safer that "full flavor". Surely the answer is no. However, the marketing folks at the tobacco companies would like you to think so.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #218
shadows papa

How Do You Identify?:
With a Warning Label
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her Bastard
Relationship Status:
Peaceful Easy

Thanked 1,644 Times in 485 Posts
shadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputation

In an attempt to maintain what sanity I have left during the hectic next 9 months of school I have started back working out.I am running with my classmates 4 days a week,lifting weights 3 days a week and arranging more time to ride my mountain bike. I am entering an 11 mile mountain bike race in October,so I need to get as much ride time in as possible between now and then. It's a charity event for an organization called Ride for Reading and consists of an 11 mile trail race and eating donuts for time reduction! I have the eating part down to a science,now if I can just do the race without become real good friends with any trees along the trail I don't have the luxury of time to do many long road bike rides right now,but I am planning on doing more as the hot weather abates.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #219
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows papa View Post
In an attempt to maintain what sanity I have left during the hectic next 9 months of school I have started back working out.I am running with my classmates 4 days a week,lifting weights 3 days a week and arranging more time to ride my mountain bike. I am entering an 11 mile mountain bike race in October,so I need to get as much ride time in as possible between now and then. It's a charity event for an organization called Ride for Reading and consists of an 11 mile trail race and eating donuts for time reduction! I have the eating part down to a science,now if I can just do the race without become real good friends with any trees along the trail I don't have the luxury of time to do many long road bike rides right now,but I am planning on doing more as the hot weather abates.

OMG.. that sounds dangerous almost. Reminds me of the International Messenger Race they held once in Toronto. It consisted of riding from pub to pub in the middle of February during a storm. And as you hit each pub, you had to drink a whole pint of beer (some were Guinness).

I've been off the running since Little Rock and will start up again tomorrow, after dropping K off at the airport. I'll then be "working out" by doing the last of my packing and taking things apart. One more week...

The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2010, 12:36 AM   #220
ComparedToWhom

How Do You Identify?:
oh geez, a box... if I must, I"ll go with GeNdErQuEeR (100% all-natural, organic)
Preferred Pronoun?:
don't care as long as it's said respectfully
Relationship Status:
Rolling solo

Location: On the road/trail (see pic)... refuel in the Valley of the Sun (AZ)
ComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST Reputation

+1 on the Brita. I drink at least a gallon of water daily, 1.5 on days I workout. Don't know where I'd be w/o my Brita!

Surprised no one has mentioned Green Tea (as in iced green tea). Easy to make sun tea (well, least in these parts since the sun shines everyday). I buy decaf green tea bags in bulk, throw a few in a glass container (with the Brita water!). Once brewed, tea goes into individual Nalgene bottles in frig so I can grab & go. Oh, and sweeten it up w/Stevia. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post

Hey you!

Try this: get yourself a Brita filter and use that for your water. It will end up being cheaper than bottled and taste WAY better than tap. Then, go to any store...grocery....Walmart....etc and go to the Koolaid aisle. Find the drink mixes to put into your water. Buy some. Use them and you'll be able to drink more water, which is better for you. I like Ocean Spray's White Peach Cran and Great Value's Orange and Great Value's Fitness Mix (has added vitamins 'n stuff but that's not why I buy it) Strawberry Kiwi. I drink a LOT more water when it doesn't taste like water.
ComparedToWhom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComparedToWhom For This Useful Post: