Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #41
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation

Grilled Veg Sandwich

Grill:
Cut red onion rounds
Seed & cut red pepper in half & squish flat
Lengthwise eggplant & zucchini
Toss in oil, salt & pepper

Process til smooth:
Sundried tomatoes (packaged in oil)
Black olives
Capers
Fresh basil

Spread any bread/wrap with puree, add grilled vegs & top with alfalfa sprouts

~LadyBlue
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 2myladyblue For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #42
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation
Default haven't tried this yet, but it looks yummy...

Carrot-Ginger-Coconut Soup

Sauté carrots & onions
Pour in a can of coconut milk
Add red lentils & rice
Add enough liquid (stock or orange juice) so soup isn’t too thick
Grate frozen* ginger into soup (*frozen ginger keeps well & grates easily!)
Sprinkle with a little salt

Puree with a hand blender & serve.
Garnish with cilantro.

~LadyBlue
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2myladyblue For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #43
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

Lentil Salad

Mix:
2 Tbsp. Olive
2 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
19 oz. Can lentils, drained & rinsed
12 c. chopped cucumber
1 chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tbsp. Chopped fresh dill
Crumble feta over the top.

~LadyBlue
Old 07-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #44
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

Default Kale

Ounce for ounce, kale has more of the vitamins A, C and K than spinach (though spinach exceeds kale in folate). The leaves also have higher levels of lutein and zeaxanthin than spinach, two antioxidant carotenoids that play important roles in protecting our eyes from cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. Plus, Harvard scientists have found that for every extra daily serving of vitamin C-rich fruit and vegetables, there was a six percent reduction in risk of heart disease—but for every incremental serving of dark-green leafy vegetables, there was a 23 percent reduction in risk.

Prep tip
Some may find raw kale too bitter to include in salads. Instead, gently sauté it with sesame oil, garlic and a splash of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar for three to four minutes, and serve as a warm side dish.

~LadyBlue
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 2myladyblue For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #45
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

Default Quinoa

This powerhouse whole grain has more protein than other grains (eight grams per cooked cup/250 mL) and, like brown rice, is bursting with fibre, B vitamins, copper, manganese and magnesium. And because quinoa—which is pronounced “keen-wah” and is hailed as “the mother grain” in its native South America—has no gluten, it’s safe for people with celiac disease. Plus, researchers at North Carolina’s Wake Forest University concluded that people who eat 2 1/2 servings daily of nutrient-dense whole grains are 21 percent less likely to suffer from cardiovascular disease than people who consume less.

Prep tips:
To cook quinoa, simmer one part dried quinoa with two parts water or broth for 10 to 15 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. (Quinoa cooks more quickly than brown rice.) Toss cooked quinoa with olive oil, lime juice, chopped roasted vegetables and fresh herbs for a great lunch or side dish.

~LadyBlue
Old 07-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #46
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

Default I HAVE to try this!

Pear and Pomegranate Salad
Servings: 4

2 Asian or Bartlett pears
1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
3 cups (750 mL) torn leaf lettuce or Boston leaf lettuce
3 cups (750 mL) frisée lettuce
1/4 cup (50 mL) pomegranate seeds

Warm Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
2 tbsp (25 mL) pomegranate juice
2 tbsp (25 mL) lemon juice
1 tbsp (15 mL) grainy mustard
2 tsp (10 mL) liquid honey
1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper

Preparation:
Core pears and thinly slice; toss with lemon juice. Divide among 4 plates, arranging in overlapping circles. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.)

Warm Vinaigrette: Meanwhile, in small saucepan, whisk together oil, pomegranate juice, lemon juice, mustard, honey, salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking, until thickness of maple syrup, about 2 minutes. Drizzle about 1 tbsp (15 mL) over pears on each plate.
In large bowl, toss leaf and frisée lettuces with remaining vinaigrette to coat; mound attractively on pears. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.

~LadyBlue
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2myladyblue For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2010, 11:58 PM   #47
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

Default Heavenly breakfast, snack or dessert!

Ambrosia

Mix:
½ c. coconut
1 pkg. Dessert tofu (almond, banana, or coconut)
2 oranges broken into segments
1 c. pineapple chunks
1 banana
1 apple
1 pear
1 tsp. Vanilla

(Obviously, you can make this with ANY of your favourite fruit....but I also like to sprinkle it with poppy seeds...)

~LadyBlue
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2myladyblue For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2010, 12:20 AM   #48
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

Default My new favourite squash...

Butternut Squash Soup

Melt 2 Tbsp. Butter & lightly brown:
1 small onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 med. Carrot, chopped
2 med. Potatoes, chopped
1 med. Butternut squash, peeled, seeded & cubed

Pour in enough chicken stock to cover veggies & bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 40 min, or until veggies are tender.
Blend until smooth.
Season with salt & pepper.

~LadyBlue
The Following User Says Thank You to 2myladyblue For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2010, 12:24 AM   #49
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

Default SOYBEANS!!!

Edamame has higher levels of protein, vitamin K, manganese and folate than kidney and black beans. A 2008 study of more than 60,000 women, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, suggests that upping whole soybean intake can slash the risk of type 2 diabetes. Researchers believe soy protein and isoflavone antioxidants in soybeans may improve insulin sensitivity, providing an anti-diabetic effect.

Prep tips:
For a healthy snack, boil shelled edamame for four minutes and then toss with a dash each of sea salt, lemon juice and cayenne pepper. Shelled edamame is also good in bean salads and mixed into quinoa.

Replace the chickpeas in humus with edamame.
Roasting edamame brings out the nutty flavour & can then be substituted for peanuts in brittle.

~LadyBlue
The Following User Says Thank You to 2myladyblue For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2010, 12:29 AM   #50
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

Hempseeds, like flaxseeds, are a source of omega-3 essential fatty acids—but unlike flaxseeds, they also contain omega-6. Derived from the same plant species as marijuana, but with barely measurable amounts of psychoactive THC, hempseeds may help prevent blood clots. A 2008 Harvard School of Public Health study suggests that consuming foods with the omega-3 fat alpha-linolenic acid reduces heart-attack risk. In addition to good fats, hemp has more protein than other seeds and is an excellent source of magnesium, vitamin E, potassium, zinc and plant sterols, which have cholesterol-lowering abilities.

Prep tips:
Add hempseeds to cereal, yogurt, salads and trail mix. Unlike flaxseed, shelled hempseeds don’t need to be ground for proper absorption.

~LadyBlue
Old 07-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #51
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

shitake happens

Vegetarians are sprouting up all over....

I'm a VAGatarian

~LadyBlue
Old 07-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #52
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

Default almond butter

This sweeter-tasting alternative has more calcium, magnesium and phosphorus—three minerals that work to strengthen bones—than peanut butter. Plus, a California study found that including 3  1/2 ounces (100 grams) of almond butter in a plant-based diet over four weeks reduced harmful LDL cholesterol, while slightly raising heart-protective HDL cholesterol levels in both men and women. “Even though almonds are high in fat, it’s mostly monounsaturated fat, which helps to drive down unhealthy cholesterol levels,” says registered dietitian Wendy Bazilian, co-author of The SuperFoodsRx Diet. Almonds also have more of the antioxidant vitamin E than peanuts and are spared the hydrogenated oil and sugars that are added to most processed peanut butters.

Prep tip:
Mix equal amounts of almond butter, soy sauce, lemon juice and honey, and drizzle on top of your greens.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2myladyblue For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #53
Laerkin

How Do You Identify?:
Girlie with a touch of bossy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, but not hung up on the details
Relationship Status:
Parenting our furry family with SmoothButch

3 Highscores

Laerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST Reputation

I just tried a new recipe that I love!

Roasted Garlic and Caramelized Onion, White Bean Dip

Roast 1 head of garlic and use 2-4 cloves (to taste)
Caramelize half of one Vidalia onion
One can of white cannelloni beans
2 TBSP EVOO
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp cardamom

Combine all in a food processor and run until smooth and creamy. I would add a little more pepper than you would think.

Spread on crackers, veggies, or eat with a spoon.

Just watch out because you'll have some charming breath afterward!

Laerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laerkin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #54
squeak

How Do You Identify?:
femme!
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
making one butch sweat

squeak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputation

Hi y'all!

(Intro: vegan femme recently transplanted from the deep south to LA, so my head and waistline have been exploding with the abundance of completely brazen and out-in-the-open vegan stuff here.)

If you are in the SoCal/Los Angeles area, there are a few vegan and vegetarian meetup groups that meet regularly and have quite the respectable turnout:

Vegan Drinks is the biggest:
http://www.meetup.com/vegandrinks/

Vegan/Veggie Women's Meetup:
http://www.meetup.com/Vegan-Ladies-Meet-Up/

----

The newest cookbook to my collection is the American Vegan Kitchen and it has been pretty reliable when it comes to home-cookin' like foods. Call me a less evolved vegan, but I still fancy a good, greasy Hamburger Helper recreation now and again.

xosqueak
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squeak For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #55
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeak View Post
Hi y'all!

(Intro: vegan femme recently transplanted from the deep south to LA, so my head and waistline have been exploding with the abundance of completely brazen and out-in-the-open vegan stuff here.)

If you are in the SoCal/Los Angeles area, there are a few vegan and vegetarian meetup groups that meet regularly and have quite the respectable turnout:

Vegan Drinks is the biggest:
http://www.meetup.com/vegandrinks/

Vegan/Veggie Women's Meetup:
http://www.meetup.com/Vegan-Ladies-Meet-Up/

----

The newest cookbook to my collection is the American Vegan Kitchen and it has been pretty reliable when it comes to home-cookin' like foods. Call me a less evolved vegan, but I still fancy a good, greasy Hamburger Helper recreation now and again.

xosqueak

I think we'll have to check these out (especially since I just moved to L.A.). Although I think the 2nd meetup would be out for me... wonder if there is a queer vegan/veggie meetup...

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #56
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Whole foods has a lot of vegan foods for those who are looking and also I think Trader Joe's I just get the kebob which is vegan...don't have any recipes but will peruse the thread for some!!
lipstixgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #57
chanale

How Do You Identify?:
femme

chanale is on a distinguished road

I recently spent a week at a conference in Santa Cruz and was surprised the UC campus wasn't more vegan-friendly. I ended up making several trips to Whole Foods, which wasn't exactly nearby, just to I could get something besides the salad or spaghetti that the dining hall offered.
chanale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chanale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #58
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,406 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

With the weather changing, people will begin using their ovens more, so I thought I'd share this recipe now.
I saw it on a Jewish website I belong to that is filled with wonderful recipes like this one.

Sweet Potato Kugel
This deliciously healthy twist on traditional potato kugel has all of the "Jewish soul-food" street cred
as the standard recipe, without all the heavy baggage.

Adapted from Aviva Allen's The Organic Kosher Cookbook

Kugel Base:
6 small sweet potatoes, grated
3 apples, peeled, cored, and grated
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup raisins
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt (sea salt is best)
1 and 1/2 cups water

Topping:
1 and 1/2 cups pecan halves, chopped
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons butter
Pinch of salt
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground ginger

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together (except for the topping), then press into a large glass baking dish.

In a small bowl, mix together topping ingredients and set aside.

Place baking dish in oven and bake for 35 minutes. Remove and cover with topping mixture. Return to oven for another 20-25 minutes.

Remove from oven and let stand for about 15 minutes. Cut into 12 squares and serve.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #59
squeak

How Do You Identify?:
femme!
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
making one butch sweat

squeak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputation

For those of you in the SoCal region:

The bloggess, Quarrygirl, has been an unbelievably valuable resource in solving that age-old question, "Where do you wanna go for dinner?"

This question is typically the most vexing for vegans who want to have a night out on the town but don't wanna pay a ridiculous amount to cobble together a pitiful dinner of dry house salad, steamed broccoli and maybe, just maybe, chips and salsa. (Yes, this is my staple dinner back in Florida.)

http://www.quarrygirl.com/

Not only is QG a witty writer, but she also lets y'all know about upcoming specials, store openings and closings, venues that have questionable vegan menus, and what you NEED to try at least once. (Like Tony's Darts Away - the vegan beer brats and the chips, dear God, the chips!)

xo!
squeak
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to squeak For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2010, 12:58 AM   #60
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Smile crows, lady gaga, and vegan mac n cheese [squeak!]

http://www.beautiful-vegan.com/

violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post: