Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Thinking Harder

Old 05-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #41
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

I can safely say I have never had a fry up. Sounds like a buffet at a country diner I guess... well, minus whatever "black pudding" might be....
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #42
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

My first husband was from Queensland, Australia and I spent my first year there on what we'd call a cattle ranch...

Lots of heavy labor, and lots of food to provide fuel...so I got used to making (in this order)....

Breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and, finally, tea

I also learned how to make lamingtons, and pikelets, and steamed puddings.....but not black pudding *gag*
Old 05-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #43
StillettoDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 3,879 Times in 1,485 Posts
StillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST Reputation

What is that breakfast thingy not sure what it's called , Ten soldiers,? I saw it on a food channel it looked good . I want to try that to make it.
I know I asked Incubus awhile back but I ready forgot.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #44
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
I can safely say I have never had a fry up. Sounds like a buffet at a country diner I guess... well, minus whatever "black pudding" might be....
Black pudding is delish. It's blood sausage, made with pigs blood (well my local one is)

The famous Bury black pudding is made in my home county of Lancashire and the town of errrm Bury.
http://www.buryblackpuddings.co.uk/
http://www.manchester2002-uk.com/eat...al-dishes.html

There are national versions and variations. I personally love morcilla from Spain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding
Old 05-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #45
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillettoDoll View Post
What is that breakfast thingy not sure what it's called , Ten soldiers,? I saw it on a food channel it looked good . I want to try that to make it.
I know I asked Incubus awhile back but I ready forgot.
Do you mean boiled egg and soldiers?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #46
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

My eyes are glazing over, lol...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
Black pudding is delish. It's blood sausage, made with pigs blood (well my local one is)

The famous Bury black pudding is made in my home county of Lancashire and the town of errrm Bury.
http://www.buryblackpuddings.co.uk/
http://www.manchester2002-uk.com/eat...al-dishes.html

There are national versions and variations. I personally love morcilla from Spain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding
I read those links (well, not so much the Bury link) and I've gotten quite the education... dunno why the whole blood thing squicks me out; I'm an omnivore... I guess the blood's always been an incidental thing, though, and never the focus of the food.

It just wasn't part of the culture I was raised in to even admit that meat has blood in it, and isn't that silly? I don't know if that was just in my area, or if it was real common in the US to be raised that way. Surely kids from families who hunted would know better...
Old 05-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #47
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
My eyes are glazing over, lol...

I read those links (well, not so much the Bury link) and I've gotten quite the education... dunno why the whole blood thing squicks me out; I'm an omnivore... I guess the blood's always been an incidental thing, though, and never the focus of the food.

It just wasn't part of the culture I was raised in to even admit that meat has blood in it, and isn't that silly? I don't know if that was just in my area, or if it was real common in the US to be raised that way. Surely kids from families who hunted would know better...

You are not alone Bit...Here and from what I gather, there in the US, many kids don't now about where their food comes from anymore. Is the organic and free-range eggs/meat market a hot potato on your side of the pond?

I don't touch or eat chicken or fish skin but I will eat cooked blood. We're odd creatures aren't we?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #48
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Quote:
I don't touch or eat chicken or fish skin but I will eat cooked blood. We're odd creatures aren't we?
Indeed we are! Gryph won't eat skin at all, except for the very crackly turkey skin from a holiday bird, but he will eat salmon bones. And me, well, I LOVE rare meat dripping with juice... heh, that's the blood, I know that... but just the thought of black pudding squicks me out.

Maybe it's all in what one gets used to, and maybe also in the relative amounts of things.

Is organic a hot potato? Depends... do you mean hot potato as in highly controversial? Yes. It's also BIG business, so big that all the major food companies are jumping on the band wagon. These days the catch-phrase is "natural" and people have had to be educated that "natural" is literally meaningless as a food label, just like "cage free" is meaningless. Companies are bound by law to use the term "organic" in very particular ways, but the other terms are not regulated at all and a lot of products were labeled that way to mislead people into thinking they were as good as organic.

I suspect that organic food will gradually gain more and more market share as the years go by, but I don't expect any kind of big changes all of a sudden. What I think will happen instead is that as the economy continues to be difficult, more and more people will start gardening.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:34 AM   #49
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

i have been to England, but the only traditional, i assume, thing i ate was fish and chips in a cone of newspaper. It was good. Beer was good too.

My stereotypes of English food come from the James Heriot books. God, i would love to have had some of those meals. The one thing he hated i think i would have loved, solid fat bacon (no strips of meat) fried till it was crunchy on the outside but oozy on the inside. i can't turn down anything pork.

Has anyone had that? Was it good?
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #50
Merlin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Knight in shining armour.
Relationship Status:
Spoken for

Merlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST Reputation

Sounds like belly pork ?

I don't like black pudding it squicks me out.

Yet I am a carnivore in every other way.

Beans with cheese grated on the top is beaut.
I like poached free range eggs on toast.

In think you would love cider farms .. A ploughman's lunch with cider and crusty bread .. Relish !!
Old 05-10-2011, 01:49 AM   #51
Merlin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Knight in shining armour.
Relationship Status:
Spoken for

Merlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST Reputation

Ploughman's lunch .. Years ago English fields were ploughed by horses dragging ploughs This is what the ploughmen would have for lunch.

Apple,pork pie,crusty bread,cheese,pickle maybe a bit of salad and no doubt a cheeky bottle of scrumpy cider to wash it all down
Old 05-10-2011, 05:12 AM   #52
Daktari

Yes Bit, I meant hot potato in that slightly contraversial way. I suspect we're a little further down the 'free-range' 'organic' route than you lot are. Labelling is pretty strict here too. It's the food we used to eat before the advent of the massive agri-business 'intensive' farms and farming practice.

June, beans on toast is indeed very 'Osbourne' fare and pretty standard everyday snacky food. We called it skinheads on a raft when we were kids in my house.

Martina I'm not quite sure what you mean by the solid pork fat - it doesn't sound like belly pork which does have meat amongst the fat. My Ma used to fry the bacon rinds until crispy which were delicious but I guess most generic bacon is now sold sans rinds (skin)

Merlin you're not a cider drinker are you? Ya Wurzel! It's vile stuff, I haven't drunk it since I was a teenager. Not even artisan scrumpy is to my palate. However give me a good Belgian lager like Leffe Blond or Duvel or English 'champagne' and I'm a happy chap.

A ploughmans lunch is not a traditional English meal, although it is often served in Brit pubs and has been for years. It's origins are infact unknown and the latest thinking is that it was 'invented' as a marketing ploy in the 60s and 70s by the Milk Marketing Board as a way to encourage the Brit public to eat more cheese. Go figure huh?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 05:43 AM   #53
Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:
Dreamily contemplating some outrage against conventional morality

Thanked 4,767 Times in 1,144 Posts
Venus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST Reputation

I grew up eating an Ulster fry on weekends and holidays but my family is Irish (Antrim). We also added fried potatoes with onion because it wasn't heart attackie enough, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Have any of you Americans had a fry up or a Sunday dinner ??

"So you'll die happily for your sins. You'd rather die in guilt then live in love?" Timothy Leary

Last edited by Venus007; 05-10-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Venus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venus007 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #54
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Roast parsnips are yum and a must with Sunday lunch.

Now here we get what I think is a funny usage of UK English...

Do you 'mericans (to include all the races and nationalities who inhabit North America where this website is based) have dinner at lunch-time and tea at dinner time? Or is it always lunch in the middle of the day and dinner or supper at the end of the day?

Merlin I bet you have dinner and tea don't ya? I do at home but with Un-Mrs.I we have lunch and dinner.

How about you other Brits here too?
I love parsnips too. But my former partner and her sisters did not, hence the incognito.

On holidays and Sundays I have dinner late-midday and occasionally tea (tea the meal, not the drink in the evening. Otherwise it is breakfast/lunch & dinner. Or brunch & supper on the weekends when time and schedules are more fluid.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #55
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
I love parsnips too. But my former partner and her sisters did not, hence the incognito.

On holidays and Sundays I have dinner late-midday and occasionally tea (tea the meal, not the drink in the evening. Otherwise it is breakfast/lunch & dinner. Or brunch & supper on the weekends when time and schedules are more fluid.

Did they eat the roasted parsnips with no mention of the different taste? To be honest Un-Mrs.I has a time of it disguising all the veggies she has me eat.

So, we have brunch, lunch, dinner ...and... tea, dinner, supper

Here's another one to add to the mix. My Pops, a solid working class bloke who has dinner and tea, also has 'afters' instead of pudding or dessert. No accounting for some folks!

All the fry ups, English, Scottish, Welsh, Ulster fry are basically the same with variations according to region/country and personal taste. I love toasted Irish soda bread toasted with my Full English.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_breakfast

The wiki page shows a Full English with bubble and squeak, I have never seen a fry up with bubble and squeak......maybe they do that in 'posh' establishments!

I love the Somerset Maugham quote on the Wiki page

"To eat well in England you should have breakfast three times a day."

Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #56
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

They did notice the difference in taste (between the parsnips and the potatoes) but not until they'd already eaten one. Which brought Lyn no small amount of glee.

I miss yorkshire pudding and rich tea biscuits, of all things.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #57
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
They did notice the difference in taste (between the parsnips and the potatoes) but not until they'd already eaten one. Which brought Lyn no small amount of glee.

I miss yorkshire pudding and rich tea biscuits, of all things.

Hah! That would give me a little evil glee-ness too

Yorkshire pudding is a food of the gods and goddesses isn't it. I'm crap at making it though and will usually buy it in ready made if having individual yorkies for Sunday lunch. I will make it myself if making Toad in the Hole with onion gravy. Do you 'mericans eat Toad in the Hole?

Rich tea biscuits? Not had those since I lived at home. This link might interest you.
http://www.britsuperstore.com/cgi-bi...=-1&TB=A&SHOP=
Old 05-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #58
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Blood sausage I have tried and just can't do it.

Bacon in England (London at least) is what we would call Canadian Bacon in the US and rashers? I think is what bacon is in the US and sooooo much better than in the US, as are the free range eggs!

Bubble and squeek?

Pims and Lemonade...YUMMY

Salmon....ultra yummy!

my favorite of all?

Percy Pigs from Marks and Spencer.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #59
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

oh and
Victoria Sponge!

It cracks me up that people in the US think Tea is fancy and must include hats and gloves.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #60
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Oh and crisps. Which we would call potato chips come in all flavors like Chilean Sea Bass and Shrimp.