kannon

How Do You Identify?:
bloke
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Happy is the heart that believes in angels

Thanked 2,067 Times in 584 Posts
kannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputation

this was my most feared creature as a child

Somehow I always managed to have a stare off or a show down with one. They could sense the fear in me. I was frozen with fear. And it always, always ended with them JUMPIN. I never saw them land. I just assumed they were in full on attack mode and jumped on me to start their physical assault. My reaction was to run screaming to my mom and have her do a full body search.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #42
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation

Love these. They make me smile every time I seem them, especially if they jump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
this was my most feared creature as a child

Somehow I always managed to have a stare off or a show down with one. They could sense the fear in me. I was frozen with fear. And it always, always ended with them JUMPIN. I never saw them land. I just assumed they were in full on attack mode and jumped on me to start their physical assault. My reaction was to run screaming to my mom and have her do a full body search.
SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #43
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
It's funny that nat should start this thread cause one of my least fav animals are

Gnats

Those pesky little flying monkeys.

These smaller flies are worse than the bigger versions cause you can't see them coming or anticipate their flight paths.
Ah yes, gnats, the bane of my existence from preschool through adolescence. Thanks for the reminder.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2011, 01:05 AM   #44
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBoi View Post
Bats would fit into this category. I personally think that they are kinda cute. AND I love the fact that they eat mosquito's (which is a WONDERFUL friend to have in the south) Bat's eat around 250,000 pounds of insects a night. I suppose many people are scared of them due to rabies or Ozzy lol. I haven't heard of a rabid bat swarm, targeting humans however.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-02-...17_1_bat-house
The rabies thing is a deal with them, but I've had my rabies shots. I had a job for a while catching and releasing wildlife that had gotten into buildings on campus. Bat exposures were the most stressful because you often cannot tell if you've been exposed. If they brush against you, it's considered exposure. If you wake up and there's one in your room it's considered exposure. Their tiny teeth don't make much of a mark. All but one of the bats I caught were released back into the wild. But one bat I had to take down to animal control to have tested - which means killing the poor little guy. He'd crawled into a trash can, and one of the custodial staff reached into the bag and received what could have been a scratch or a bite. I'm sure it was quite a surprise to her! But the bat's little life was sacrificed to reveal no rabies. It's really sucky to drive an animal down to his own death. But rabies is serious. Once you have symptoms, you're already a goner.

I do love the cute little guys. The kind we had were the Mexican Free-tails.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2011, 05:21 AM   #45
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,620 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

I do love rodents.

Capybara

The world's largest rodent.

It's like a giant hamster.

Interesting side note for catholics - papal dispensation has made the capybara a fish. So this lent don't forget the capybara burgers.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #46
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
Thought it might be interesting to have a thread regarding the creatures people tend to dislike almost on instinct. My definition of animal here does not include humans or plants or fungi, but would include any other living entity that feeds on living things that feed on other living things.
In the spirit of living entities feeding on living things that feed on other living things I thought this article was interesting.

Bugs and Krill, the Other White Meats: Time to Start Eating at the Bottom of the Food Chain

http://www.alternet.org/food/153359/...he_food_chain/
The Following User Says Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #47
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

Omg I luved luved luved my rat Peebo, he was a Black Hooded Rat and was so sweet and curled up on my shoulder every night for tv time... they are terrific little friends. =)

I've had snakes, rats etc. for buds and never been biten... I have however pulled my truck over to help a teeny tiny kitten on a remote highway and had my hand savagely attacked (I literally had to shake it off, lol) and ended up getting rabies shots... who knew kittens did crack? Not me apparently...

o.@
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #48
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett View Post
have however pulled my truck over to help a teeny tiny kitten on a remote highway and had my hand savagely attacked (I literally had to shake it off, lol) and ended up getting rabies shots... who knew kittens did crack? Not me apparently...
o.@
Well that must've sucked. You don't expect to be attacked by a kitten. It's not the same thing I know but this reminded me of the day when I was bitten by first a dolphin and then an emu. I felt like a bizarro world Dr Doolittle where all the animals hate me.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #49
Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:
Dreamily contemplating some outrage against conventional morality

Thanked 4,767 Times in 1,144 Posts
Venus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST Reputation

I like king snakes, well I like most all snakes but king's have a special place in my heart. In the culture I grew up in, when someone gets a new house, it is traditional to give them a king snake to put under their house. King snakes eat other snakes, even venomous ones. So they are a snaky friend. They are also quite docile and easy to feed and handle in captivity. As an added bonus they look like coral snakes so other predators leave them alone.

"So you'll die happily for your sins. You'd rather die in guilt then live in love?" Timothy Leary
Venus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Venus007 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #50
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

You can make your own home-made, low-fat, powdered protein drink if your hungry by cutting off the wings, arms, legs, and heads of insects, roast them over fire until crunchy, rub them between your palms, then stir your insect powder in water, etc. Or you can drypress them in a coffee filter and make cowboy coffee. Yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tick View Post
In the spirit of living entities feeding on living things that feed on other living things I thought this article was interesting.

Bugs and Krill, the Other White Meats: Time to Start Eating at the Bottom of the Food Chain

http://www.alternet.org/food/153359/...he_food_chain/
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #51
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Adorable!! I LOVE bats...can't wait to set up my bat box after the move!

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #52
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

Ahh! Snake! Could be poisonous, but maybe not. How does that saying go....Let's see, red next to yellow, kill a fellow, red next to black, friend of Jack. Hmm, okay, be still, snake, lemme see... check! Friend of Jack! This one's okay!

But who the heck has time to do that?? If I see a snake with red, yellow and black stripes, I'm running either way!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus007 View Post
I like king snakes, well I like most all snakes but king's have a special place in my heart. In the culture I grew up in, when someone gets a new house, it is traditional to give them a king snake to put under their house. King snakes eat other snakes, even venomous ones. So they are a snaky friend. They are also quite docile and easy to feed and handle in captivity. As an added bonus they look like coral snakes so other predators leave them alone.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #53
1QuirkyKiwi

How Do You Identify?:
BBW. Unique femininity that does not encompass the western paradigm.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything Respectful!
Relationship Status:
Single, Happy, not Desparate or Looking, but Open to Possibilities...

Thanked 6,035 Times in 1,617 Posts
1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Bats are cute! I live in a semi-rural area and the Bats here have attitude, either that, or they are drunk! LOL! When walking out at night they will fly directly into you....no biting, no excuse me, either, lol! Living surrounded by farms the area is crawling with wee bugs for them to feast on.

1QuirkyKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 1QuirkyKiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #54
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorninthesofa View Post
You can make your own home-made, low-fat, powdered protein drink if your hungry by cutting off the wings, arms, legs, and heads of insects, roast them over fire until crunchy, rub them between your palms, then stir your insect powder in water, etc. Or you can drypress them in a coffee filter and make cowboy coffee. Yum!
I gotta ask. I get the wings, but why don't I want to include the arms, legs and heads? I mean protein is protein no?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #55
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Hammerhead sharks attack humans on an average of once every 11 years.

Dogs bite more than 4.7 million people a year.

Still I'd rather be bitten by a dog.
Once a year.
For 11 years.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #56
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #57
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Quote:
And he rocks. Who knew bats self stim. I had a few in my life but none that did.

That might be the cutest bat ever.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #58
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tick View Post
And he rocks. Who knew bats self stim. I had a few in my life but none that did.

That might be the cutest bat ever.
Yes he rocks after he gets his little belly full (and good to see you my friend, now that I know who you are... heh =)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #59
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation

This is one of the most amazing and frankly hopeful things I have seen in a while. Thank you.

Quote:
SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #60
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
Open to healthy possibilities...

Thanked 1,628 Times in 393 Posts
Elijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST Reputation
Default Javelina

The collared peccary, or javelina, evolved in South America and migrated north, only recently arriving in Arizona. Javelina bones are not found in Arizona archaeological sites and early settlers made infrequent references to their occurrence. It's possible that the peccary spread simultaneously with the replacement of Arizona's native grasslands by scrub and cactus. The collared peccary has one of the greatest latitudinal ranges of any New World game animal, occurring from Arizona to Argentina. The range of the peccary is still expanding, primarily northwestward. In the United States, the collared peccary only occurs in Arizona, Texas, and New Mexico.

~Washington Irving
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elijah For This Useful Post: