Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 05-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default Gulf Oil Slick

I'm surprised we don't have a thread on this. And I figured might be worthwhile to discuss. Reading HP today I found this:

Quote:
Scientists are finding enormous oil plumes in the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico, including one as large as 10 miles long, 3 miles wide and 300 feet thick in spots.

<snip>

BP has resisted entreaties from scientists that they be allowed to use sophisticated instruments at the ocean floor that would give a far more accurate picture of how much oil is really gushing from the well.
I think the gov't should slap them with a major fine and a cap on how far they can raise the prices due to the fine. This whole situation is appalling in how it's been dealt with and how the resolution to stop it has been going on. All 3 of the companies CEos should be made to swim through that crap.

More than ever, it has made me NOT want to get a license and drive a car.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I am absolutely SICK over this and completely PISSED OFF that these companies think they have the fucking RIGHT to keep scientists from observing, taking photos, or doing experiments while there are millions of gallons of oils just spilling out into the ocean.

I cringe to think of how many sea creatures and birds will be dead because of this. There already has been reports of dead dolphins, shrimp, and fish and many articles say that the fishing industry off the gulf may be so damaged it might never recover.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

I have to space my reading of articles on this tragedy out; it's too much.

Apparently, Obama gave the companies a piece of his mind the other day. I haven't watched it yet, though.

Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
BestButchBoy

How Do You Identify?:
Male ID

Thanked 5,459 Times in 2,038 Posts
BestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST Reputation

It is an oceanic holocaust that will have an exponential effect on all of life as we now currently know it. To think otherwise, I believe, is to delude oneself.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_oil_spill
BestButchBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BestButchBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

This oil spill will destroy Louisiana's Coastal Wetlands, and Estuaries for decades to come. Bayous full of generation after generation of shrimpers, and fisherman. All will be out of jobs. They don't know any other life. Many of them have never been out of the state of Louisiana. BP should have to pay dearly. It all brings tears to my eyes, and makes me sick to my stomach.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,851 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

This is much bigger than the gulf. The oil and chemicals will drift from the Gulf Stream out in to the Atlantic, where they will join with the North Atlantic Drift, eventually impacting the entire Atlantic Ocean, North America, and coastal Europe.

linkyloo
The Gulf Stream, together with its northern extension towards Europe, the North Atlantic Drift, is a powerful, warm, and swift Atlantic ocean currentGulf of Mexico, exits through the Strait of Florida, and follows the eastern coastlines of the United States and Newfoundland before crossing the Atlantic Ocean. that originates in the

Here's a nice visual linkyloo
Old 05-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,851 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

By the way, those chemicals being used to disperse the oil? The formulas and ingredients are protected, so we have no way of knowing what is in them. The companies refuse to divulge the information.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,401 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

I agree Linus the government should freeze gas prices coming from BP. It seems there should be something BP or the government could do to stop the leak. I can't believe nobody had a disaster relief plan in place for this. I mean we didn't just start drilling a few years ago, it's been a long time and most companies have a disaster relief plan or a OSHA regulated or EPA regulated plan for emergencies.

I'm about tired of paying $2.89 for gas and it is summer and it is going up. I was only paying $1.60 this time last year. Can you imagine how much they will jack up the price of gas when government fines and EPA fines and the cost of clean up effect their bottom line?
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Im admittedly pretty ignorant over the who and what of this situation but if BP is owned by the Brits at least in some part, are they required to help cleanup the spill and fix the leak?
Or is BP a private entity owned by a Brit, therefore making the British government not responsible for anything?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
Im admittedly pretty ignorant over the who and what of this situation but if BP is owned by the Brits at least in some part, are they required to help cleanup the spill and fix the leak?
Or is BP a private entity owned by a Brit, therefore making the British government not responsible for anything?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BP

They are private.. and they are a big private.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Unhappy

I am horrified over this oil spill. It is nothing like what BP originally stated, and then the pictures came out...my heart sank. Mother Nature is pissed. This has and will continue to change the face of our oceans, animals, and our way of life for generations.

This is just another example of corporate greed.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #12
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,401 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

Yes the ecological system has and will continue to take a huge hit from this. Sad thing is BP doesn't seem to care. I bet they'd give a rats ass if the Feds cut off their ability to sell gas until it was cleaned up. I know they wouldn't do that because that wouldn't be good for the unemployment since most stores are open 24 hrs and that would effect a lot of people economically.

Some where someone has an idea to get BP stepping up to the plate in a manner that will stop this leak and start the clean up and restoring of the ocean and its inhabitants.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #13
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BP

They are private.. and they are a big private.
Now see, this is what bothers me about them refusing to allow scientists to view the leak. If they are PRIVATE, who the fuck are they to tell someone that they cant go down to the ocean floor. BP doesnt own that part of the ocean, right?
Who the fuck are THEY to tell anyone that they can't observe all the damage that their company is doing to the environment.

Im crazy pissed about this and cant believe that its been gushing for 2 fucking weeks and still NO end in sight.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #14
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

No end in sight. And the latest with the long tube going into the sputing well failed as well. We are still at Ground Zero. I think BP needs to open up all connections and take the publics ideas. This is not the same world as it was 2 years ago or 5 years ago. I know I won't be buying their products.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #15
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,558 Times in 2,992 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks Linus for opening this thread!!!

I am intimately acquainted with the Gulf Coast. I have spent many a houseboat vacations putting up and down Cayo Costa seashore. I also have spent many September weekends diving for scallops in the Steinhatchee area of Florida. I gave a quick call to check in with the owners of the place I stay when I go scalloping. Now this is the Northern coast before the panhandle just along the south end of the curve of Florida panhandle. She told me they were already seeing birds and animal life coming in contact with oil. She said there will be no scalloping business for her this year. She was very upset. She was born and raised there. After getting off the phone with her I got pretty nervous calling the couple that owns the houseboat rental business I use when I go down there. They realized right away when this happened how it is going to ruin their business. I could hear her voice cracking when we talked about the animals and plant life that will be wiped out. I may not care for the politics of my state but I can say I have had a love affair with Floridas waterways and all they have to offer since i was a small child. I am sad over this!!!!
weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #16
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

When the platform sank they said there was NO leak,then we had a BIG leak and it has gone on far to long.They keep trying new things to stop it but I know they have got a centerfuge machine that can suck up sea water and oil and separate the two..WHY ARENT THEY USEING IT????The well owners, who ever they are,have screwd up the ecosysten of my state for generations to come.If they had used some things I have herd about like paper shreded that will soak up oil or big nylon bags to store the spill in by sucking up the oil and sea water into it.They store oil and gas in these things and float them out in the ocean..its should work for this as well.Now how do I know this..My X was,last time I saw him was into big oil as an exutive and has showd me the things mentioned..years ago.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #17
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Thanked 12,952 Times in 3,466 Posts
Spirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherboi View Post
Thanks Linus for opening this thread!!!

I am intimately acquainted with the Gulf Coast. I have spent many a houseboat vacations putting up and down Cayo Costa seashore. I also have spent many September weekends diving for scallops in the Steinhatchee area of Florida. I gave a quick call to check in with the owners of the place I stay when I go scalloping. Now this is the Northern coast before the panhandle just along the south end of the curve of Florida panhandle. She told me they were already seeing birds and animal life coming in contact with oil. She said there will be no scalloping business for her this year. She was very upset. She was born and raised there. After getting off the phone with her I got pretty nervous calling the couple that owns the houseboat rental business I use when I go down there. They realized right away when this happened how it is going to ruin their business. I could hear her voice cracking when we talked about the animals and plant life that will be wiped out. I may not care for the politics of my state but I can say I have had a love affair with Floridas waterways and all they have to offer since i was a small child. I am sad over this!!!!
WB
We were recently there in the Panhandle and yes there were brids and sealife coming to shore via the tides, dead covered in oil. my heart breaks for our sea life and the businesses. It's also true business is going to suffer BIG TIME the shrimpers were venting at the local Marina and it wasn't pleasant to hear.
Someone needs to step up PDQ and take accountability. Let whomever necessary tell BIG MONEY how to CLEAN this mess up.
Spirit Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Spirit Dancer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 07:49 AM   #18
torchiegirl

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 1,605 Times in 545 Posts
torchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputation

It is a shame that the eventual fine/cost will be ours to bear. Will it ever have an impact on those who are at the helm of the sinking ship, so to speak? Seems someone other than the responsible party ends up paying the price of recovery.
torchiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to torchiegirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #19
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Every day I get more depressed and ...angry about this...and think about how much my grand daughters love to fish and camp, hike, be among the trees. What will their lives be like 10 years from now... 15, 20.....? If they choose to be biological parents, will their kids be born healthy?
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #20
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Right. The underground spill is bigger than MANHATTAN. That is almost too much to think about, and it is heading over to FL and up the atlantic coast.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post: