Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > In The News

View Poll Results: Do you think Huck Finn should be revised?
It's a classic and it should stay as written during Twain's time. 80 94.12%
It's time for an update to get rid of any racial slurs or references. 2 2.35%
Well all considered, logic says Gone With The Wind should be updated too. 3 3.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2010, 02:01 AM   #41
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
study shows gay people to be more detail-oriented, discerning
Oh crap, I'm straight. Now they tell me.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:32 AM   #42
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDemeanor View Post
Oh crap, I'm straight. Now they tell me.
haha by those standards so am i. at least way straighter than my straight best friend.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #43
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Tiny turtle causes taxiing plane to return to gate

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Tiny-t...92999.html?x=0
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #44
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation
Default Man Killed By Horse Cock on youtube

Yuck.. Puke... I'll have nightmares tonight!
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #45
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

The turtle is 10 yo that Jet is referring too. All the turtles I have found, I released to the wild. I want one now. The problem is Dino, and the 3 cats. I don't think they could take on anything else right now.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #46
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post

The turtle is 10 yo that Jet is referring too. All the turtles I have found, I released to the wild. I want one now. The problem is Dino, and the 3 cats. I don't think they could take on anything else right now.
My mom has a bunch of 3 toed box turtle babies. she's not planning on re-homing any, but she may be looking for homes in the future for any more who spring up.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #47
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

I thought this was interesting....

Content provided by WENN.com
06/28/2010,

The four year old was Angelina Jolie's first biological child with her partner Brad Pitt, and in recent months has been seen sporting a cropped haircut in place of her long blonde locks, and wearing more masculine outfits.

Shiloh's new look won the couple praise from parenting coaches, who applauded them for allowing the youngster to express herself.

Jolie admits her daughter is completely obsessed with her boyish appearance, telling Vanity Fair magazine, "(Shiloh dresses) like a little dude. Shiloh, we feel, has Montenegro style. It's how people dress there. She likes tracksuits, she likes (regular) suits. She likes to dress like a boy. She wants to be a boy. So we had to cut her hair. She likes to wear boys' everything. She thinks she's one of the brothers."

But the actress isn't worried about the youngster, insisting she was much the same when she was Shiloh's age.

She adds, "(She's) goofy and verbal, the early signs of a performer... I used to get dressed up in costumes and jump around. But at some point, I got closed off, darker. I don't remember anything happening. I think you just get hit with the realities of certain things in life, think too much, start to realize the world isn't as you wished it would be, so you deepen. Then, as I had kids and got older -- being goofy, lighter -- it all came back."
Old 07-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #48
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Woman wins multi-million dollar lottery four times defying astronomical odds

Maybe the odds of winning the lottery would be a lot better if Joan Ginther would stop buying all the good tickets.

By now you may have heard of the Las Vegas resident, who you probably want sitting next to you when an asteroid, slungshot by aliens, is aimed at your plane. She recently cashed in a winning $10 million scratch-off ticket, making the lucky woman a four-time lottery winner.

More...
http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/93820?fp=1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #49
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Restaurant Bans Screaming Babies

In the latest burst of anti-kids-in-public news, a North Carolina restaurant is making headlines with signage that does not quibble. “Screaming Children Will NOT Be Tolerated!” read signs at the the Olde Salty restaurant in Carolina Beach, N.C. And while some parents have expressed concern that they are singling out disabled kids, most patrons have responded well.....

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/paren...lowed-2388887/
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #50
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

In the latest burst of anti-kids-in-public news, a North Carolina restaurant is making headlines with signage that does not quibble. “Screaming Children Will NOT Be Tolerated!” read signs at the the Olde Salty restaurant in Carolina Beach, N.C. And while some parents have expressed concern that they are singling out disabled kids, most patrons have responded well.....

I heard about this on the radio earlier in the week. Interesting.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #51
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Arlington opens graves, finds 2 misplaced bodies

AP
WASHINGTON – Two people were buried in the wrong graves at Arlington National Cemetery, the Army said Wednesday, as it followed up an investigation into bookkeeping problems and burial mix-ups at one of the nation's most hallowed sites...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_arlington_cemetery
Old 09-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #52
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

My kind of place.
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #53
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Arlington opens graves, finds 2 misplaced bodies

AP
WASHINGTON – Two people were buried in the wrong graves at Arlington National Cemetery, the Army said Wednesday, as it followed up an investigation into bookkeeping problems and burial mix-ups at one of the nation's most hallowed sites...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_arlington_cemetery
Oy vey.

I'm misunderestimated.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #54
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Facelift Planned for US Currency

The American dollar is in bad need of a makeover. Thanks to the Dollar ReDe$ign Project, we may now have some options. More from the Huffington Post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/721294
Old 09-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #55
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
Facelift Planned for US Currency

The American dollar is in bad need of a makeover. Thanks to the Dollar ReDe$ign Project, we may now have some options. More from the Huffington Post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/721294
Of all the cockamamie things to waste money on.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #56
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Of all the cockamamie things to waste money on.
the idea that a "redesign and rebranding" of the US dollar will help the economy is simply ludicrous.

OH so that's why the economy is fucked! Unattractive money! *headdesk*
Old 09-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #57
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Bed Bug infestation at Nike et. al. forces closures across America

ABC News....
http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749...etown-21990658
Old 09-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #58
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation
Post Maybe Just "Off Beat" to Me.

The Canadian who invented basketball

By Sian Griffiths
BBC News, Ottawa

When Dr James Naismith invented basketball in 1891, he couldn't have dreamed that the game would become the world's second most popular sport, played in more than 200 countries, and a multi-billion dollar industry. Now his Canadian hometown is set to honour him with a statue.

The monument in the city where James Naismith invented basketball, in Springfield, Massachusetts, is the 40,000 sq ft Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

Continue reading the main story “Start QuoteIn Canada, we seem to be understated as a nation in terms of our heroes”

End Quote Allen Rae Dr James Naismith Basketball Foundation
The museum in his hometown of Almonte, Ontario, is, well, rather more compact.

A large boulder - the "Rock" - stands like an altar at the heart of the museum.

It's a tribute to the inspiration for James Naismith's invention - "Duck on a Rock" - a game he played growing up.

Nine-year-old Warner Giles demonstrates the game by lobbing a rock in a familiar overhand arcing motion - knocking a stone, or "duck", off the boulder.

This was the type of throw that brought the world basketball.

Born in 1861, Dr Naismith's early life was marked by tragedy. His farmer parents died of typhoid, and he and his siblings were raised by an uncle who instilled in them the values of hard work, self reliance and determination.

Athletic prowess

A high school drop-out who worked as a lumberjack, Dr Naismith later embraced education with enthusiasm. He obtained a degree in physical education from Montreal's McGill University, a diploma in theology and - after moving to the US - qualified as a medical doctor.

He demonstrated great athletic prowess as a star football player and gymnast while at McGill, rising to became the university's first director of athletics. He was even credited later, by some, with having invented the forerunner of the football helmet.

The first basketball team made their bow in 1891
A deeply religious man, Dr Naismith believed that sport "could be used to lead young men to a good end".

In the winter of 1891 after moving to Springfield, Dr Naismith was faced with a challenging class of "incorrigibles". This antagonistic group had to be kept fit indoors through a harsh New England winter.

After failing to occupy the men with popular indoor sports of the day, he turned to "duck on the rock" for inspiration.

Instead of a rock, the players would throw a soccer ball at two peach baskets nailed high up at each end of the gymnasium. The janitor later punched holes in the bottom of the baskets after he became tired of climbing up to retrieve balls.

The first game - comprising two teams of nine - took place on 21 December 1891. The final score was 1-0.

As Dr Naismith later recalled: "It was the start of the first basketball game and the finish of trouble with that class."

Olympic moment

From there, the game grew. There were suggestions that the new game be called "Naismith ball" - but the modest inventor settled on "basketball" instead.

Dr Naismith lived just long enough to see basketball introduced as a new sport at the Berlin Olympics in 1936. He died in 1939.

Dr James Naismith's hometown recognises his genius
But basketball aficionados might accuse Almonte of hiding its light under a bushel.

"We should be shouting it from the rooftops," says Stephanie Kolsters, curator of the Naismith Museum.

The museum is funded by the Dr James Naismith Basketball Foundation. President Allen Rae, a referee during several Olympic basketball games, thinks the low-key remembrance might be characteristically Canadian.

"In Canada, we seem to be understated as a nation in terms of our heroes," says Mr Rae.

Even now Almonte is honouring Naismith "big in a small way", according to Al Lunney, the mayor of Mississippi Mills, which today includes Almonte.

"It's long overdue," admits the mayor.

A larger-than-life bronze statue depicting Naismith with a ball and a peach basket will soon be dedicated in the town square.

Special VIP

Kansas Sculptor Eldon Teft produced three identical versions from the same mould - one for Almonte, one for Springfield and one for Kansas, where Dr Naismith coached the University of Kansas basketball team.

While organisers planto invite Dr Naismith's descendants, as well as the Canadian prime minister, to the dedication, Mr Rae has his eyes on a special VIP.

"We could invite President Obama, too," he says of the basketball-loving US leader.

Mayor Lunney doubts that Almonte will become the new epicentre of basketball heritage. A large themed shrine is just not Almonte's style.

He wants to "keep Almonte the way is: a nice quiet town where Naismith grew up".

"It won't be like Springfield," says a doubtful Mayor Lunney.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11348053?print=true
Old 10-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #59
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Millionaires collect unemployment

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work...rklife_balance
Old 10-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #60
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

McDonald’s Happy Meal resists decomposition for six months

Story and more...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot...for-six-months