Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
stone femme Daddy's girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
disinterested

Thanked 3,745 Times in 734 Posts
Nomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkeri1 View Post
If I am attracted to someone why should I have to question to whom or why I am attracted? There have been beautiful femmes in my past that I have been attracted to/involved with, and if the right femme came along, a woman of power, love and kindness, such an attraction might still occur. In my more recent history, however, it has been primarily ftm's with whom I have been involved, though relationships with two of them began as woman to (I thought) woman attractions and later I became aware of their gender discomfort.

I think butches, whether male or female identified are HOT and they attract me. I think FTM's are HOT and they attract me. But what really attracts me is self knowledge and self acceptance. I am attracted to butches who self identify as butches, who like being butch and who are attracted to femmes. For FTM's, it is fine with me that they live as male rather than trans, but they must have come out of the queer community and be attracted to femmes, because I want my own identity to be acknowledged at least by them. I do not want a ftm to be attracted to me thinking I am a straight women. I want my queerness to be acknowledged.

If I met a woman who (to me) was butch as hell, but who did not identify as butch, I would worry that her involvement with me would make her feel pressured to be "more butch" or could result in her pressuring me to be "less femme." This I do not want.
Smooches,
Keri
i get this. i really do. i dont want to be thought of as straight.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 03:38 AM   #22
Beloved

How Do You Identify?:
alive
Preferred Pronoun?:
um
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 1,653 Times in 298 Posts
Beloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
So I have a question for you. If you are with someone who is trans than he must be out to everyone as trans so other people don't think you could be a straight couple?

If the person I am with accepts that I am queer, that is enough for me. My ID isn't dependent on anyone else. I'm really unaffected how others may perceive me based on what kind of relationship they think I'm in.
Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beloved For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 04:09 AM   #23
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beloved View Post
So I have a question for you. If you are with someone who is trans than he must be out to everyone as trans so other people don't think you could be a straight couple?

If the person I am with accepts that I am queer, that is enough for me. My ID isn't dependent on anyone else. I'm really unaffected how others may perceive me based on what kind of relationship they think I'm in.
Oh god, I go through this all the time! I HATE outing my husband, but whenever I don't out myself to lesbians (I have a rule that I don't ever out him to str8 people or gay men) they immediately assume I've 'gone straight'. It doesn't matter if they know I was a lesbian for 15 years, or that I'm part of an LGBT organisation, or even that I was once married to a woman. The fact that I'm with a man now makes me 'straight'. Knowing he is trans however changes that, they are still confused but at least I can be queer.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #24
Nomad
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
stone femme Daddy's girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
disinterested

Nomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST Reputation
Exclamation

Quote:

this kinda pisses me off and i'm not sure why but i'm gonna make myself perfectly clear here: my i.d. isnt 'dependent' on anyone else either. if you re-read the part i highlighted in red in the post Keri wrote you'll see that neither her or my statement was about random "others". it was about the other person in the relationship.

Keri wrote: ... I want my own identity to be acknowledged at least by them. I do not want a ftm to be attracted to me thinking I am a straight women. I want my queerness to be acknowledged....

my statement was an agreement with what Keri said about the person i'm dating not regarding me as straight. if i'm dating someone who happens to be transgendered it had pretty damn well better be clear to them who i am or i havent done my job of getting to know them and letting them know me and we have no business dating. i am not straight, period and end of sentence. my identity and my identifying words are just as important as anyone elses and i wont be negated by them or anyone. having the chutzpah to follow your truth and become who you are isnt the property of transgendered people. why should my i.d. take a back seat to someone elses just because they may i.d differently than i do or because their process of becoming who they are was different or maybe harder than mine? i've had a journey in life too. i'm still standing and still active in my pursuit of that journey and i'm proud of that. i'm even more proud of it because i'm still standing in my truth as a queer femme. if the person i wanted to date (no matter who they are or what their own identity truth is) wouldnt accept who i identify as and wont make room for me to be who i am completely then they get their permanent walking papers and they can sort out their regrets over that on someone elses watch because i wont have it. been f*cking there, done f*cking that and got the f*cking trashed self-esteem!

deep breath

sorry for getting all verklempt Beloved! i'm gonna ask your forgiveness here because i think i'm seriously having a flash back or something!

your question is a valid one it's just not at all what i was trying to convey. i should have been more clear earlier. i had an experience where someone else got to take up all the room when it came to gender identity and there wasnt any room for me. what i mean by that is that they stopped being able to see me when it came to identity because they were so intensely focused on themselves and their own identity that there wasnt room for anyone else in the same space. we couldnt even talk about it without serious tension taking over. i'm not talking about selfishness because i dont think of them as selfish. it just felt like who they were to the rest of the world, identity and character, was more important than who they were to me. writing my response to your post made me recall how i felt when i realized that they'd lost sight of who i am, both in identity and character too. it wasnt malicious or anything. it's just what happened. my friend also didnt see that who they were actually presenting to the world had nothing to do with their identity as they perceived it. there was so much tension around the issue of identity and gender that they didnt really show the world the warm and interesting person they were.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #25
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintease View Post
The first transguy I dated liked me partly as I wasn't attracted to transguys. In his eyes that made my attraction for him more 'genuine'. My current partner, my husband, partly liked me as I was attracted to a broad range of identities, therefore he felt safe that it was 'him' I was attracted to and not the novelty of his gender. I found both of these attitudes quite normal and understandable at the time.

Now I'm not so sure. What if we split and I discover in the future that I'm no longer interested in having a relationship with a cis-gendered woman? That I'm still not attracted to cis-gendered men and that what I really want is another transguy? What is the next transguy going to think when he discovers that I've purposely sought him out, not just because he's hot, but because he's trans? These are things I can't help but wonder. Will he think I'm a fetishising cowbag?

Susie Bright provided part of my answer by interviewing a long since transitioned transman (no idea of his name) who assured her readers that he was not offended by the idea of fetishisation. In fact he'd found it made lesbians more likely to consider him a potential partner. I know if I met a boy who demanded I be attracted to cis-gendered men also, or accused me of demeaning the entire trans community by only wanting to date a transman, then I probably wouldn't want to date him anyway.
Yeah, it depends on the individual. I'm definitely one of those guys who would prefer that a woman I'm with be attracted to transguys (hopefully in conjunction with another sex other than normative cismen..like, queer in some way or other). I won't date straight-identified women, personally. I prefer to date women who are somehow within the lgbt and/or queer spectrum. But at the same time it really depends not so much on someone identifies on the lgbtq spectrum, but how they see you.

Is part of the fetishisation the incorrect idea that transguys are "both a man and a woman" or or a man with whatever assumption about genitalia, or "or an x that used to be a y," or "the body and/or identity of this with the emotional capabilities of that" and so on? If so that's problematic to me...but not to other guys who might identify with that. So yeah, totally individual.

I think its trying to strike that balance between curiosity or interest and making sure to see someone as they see themselves and respecting who they are. So maybe the line isn't always between preference and fetishisation, but between the kind of fetishisation where other people place an identity on top of an individual instead of having a fetish for the identity the person actually has.

I think it depends on the politics of the transguy, too, and the way they see being trans. Some guys just want to be "a normal cis guy," see trans as a "period in their lives" or a "birth defect" and so identifying as straight and being with women who aren't into transguys or who are just into guys generally might make sense for them.

Other transguys prefer to be transguys and not seen as the same sex as cisguys (some hate being mistaken for cismen as much as they hate being mistaken for female and prefer to occupy a more transmale ground or an area that might be "confusing" to many people), with transmale as a different sex entirely than cismale or cisfemale. Just the way many lesbians are only into women or "straight"-identified women only into cismen, I think its logical that some people might largely be into trans people as sexes of their own or also into trans people in addition to other sexes/genders/identities or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Right there with you...but I hate how people always assume that if they interpret the people you fuck or have a relationship with as X then you must be Y. Which is why queer is so awesome. No little sex/gender criteria to meet to qualify for a sexuality lol Another transguy I know calls me straight sometimes just to piss me off...and it really fucking works, too. If you want to insult me, call me straight
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #26
Nomad
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
stone femme Daddy's girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
disinterested

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
Yeah, it depends on the individual. I'm definitely one of those guys who would prefer that a woman I'm with be attracted to transguys (hopefully in conjunction with another sex other than normative cismen..like, queer in some way or other). I won't date straight-identified women, personally. I prefer to date women who are somehow within the lgbt and/or queer spectrum. But at the same time it really depends not so much on someone identifies on the lgbtq spectrum, but how they see you.

Is part of the fetishisation the incorrect idea that transguys are "both a man and a woman" or or a man with whatever assumption about genitalia, or "or an x that used to be a y," or "the body and/or identity of this with the emotional capabilities of that" and so on? If so that's problematic to me...but not to other guys who might identify with that. So yeah, totally individual.

I think its trying to strike that balance between curiosity or interest and making sure to see someone as they see themselves and respecting who they are. So maybe the line isn't always between preference and fetishisation, but between the kind of fetishisation where other people place an identity on top of an individual instead of having a fetish for the identity the person actually has.

I think it depends on the politics of the transguy, too, and the way they see being trans. Some guys just want to be "a normal cis guy," see trans as a "period in their lives" or a "birth defect" and so identifying as straight and being with women who aren't into transguys or who are just into guys generally might make sense for them.

Other transguys prefer to be transguys and not seen as the same sex as cisguys (some hate being mistaken for cismen as much as they hate being mistaken for female and prefer to occupy a more transmale ground or an area that might be "confusing" to many people), with transmale as a different sex entirely than cismale or cisfemale. Just the way many lesbians are only into women or "straight"-identified women only into cismen, I think its logical that some people might largely be into trans people as sexes of their own or also into trans people in addition to other sexes/genders/identities or whatever.

a-freakin-men!

Right there with you...but I hate how people always assume that if they interpret the people you fuck or have a relationship with as X then you must be Y. Which is why queer is so awesome. No little sex/gender criteria to meet to qualify for a sexuality lol Another transguy I know calls me straight sometimes just to piss me off...and it really fucking works, too. If you want to insult me, call me straight
'qualify for a sexuality' i get this image of filling out forms, providing references , going for a series of interviews and then waiting to hear the decision: 'ms. nomad, the committee has decided that you qualify as................................................ ...... QUEER!!'
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #27
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

Quintease, I love your posts!
This is the journey I have been on since my husbands death, and like you, I gave it a lot of thought throughout our relationship, fully aware that it would be a dilema I would face if he died before I did. (The two of us breaking up was never a considertion.) Since his death I dated one ftm off and on for a couple of years and one stone butch LDR for a few months. My FTM partner felt the problem in our relationship was that he was not "queer" enough for me. I did not and do not agree, our problems lay elsewhere. He actually was the one who got me back face to face in the queer community where my previous queer world was strictly online. I am grateful to him for that, though we are no longer together. I am currently unattached and comfortable with that for the short term. I'm still trying to figure out who I am and where my attraction lies.

My SIL gave me this particular piece of wisdom and it steadies me in my search for myself and my future love. "Sweetie, don't stress about this. One day you will meet someone. You will know they are the right person for you and it won't matter to you whether they are male, female or somewhere in between. They will simply be the right person for you."

PS Q, you are not a cowbag of any variety. as my FTM partner used to say. "you're putting too much thought into it", LOL!

[QUOTE=Quintease;620306]
Now I'm not so sure. What if we split and I discover in the future that I'm no longer interested in having a relationship with a cis-gendered woman? That I'm still not attracted to cis-gendered men and that what I really want is another transguy? What is the next transguy going to think when he discovers that I've purposely sought him out, not just because he's hot, but because he's trans? These are things I can't help but wonder. Will he think I'm a fetishising cowbag?
QUOTE]
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #28
Beloved

How Do You Identify?:
alive
Preferred Pronoun?:
um
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 1,653 Times in 298 Posts
Beloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Nomad,

Whoa! My intensional was not to piss you off and I'm sorry about that. I was just trying to ask some questions to understand where you were coming from. I was trying I explain how I felt about the whole thing. I'm on lunch break at work and I am posting from my phone. I don't like posting from my phone so this will be short. For now I just want to apologize for making you so angry. More to come at a later time.

Edit: I've never had the experience of a partner not validating that I'm queer. So I guess I didn't really understand what you were talking about. And until you gave more of an example I couldn't really imagine it. I think that is the basis of my misunderstanding here.

Maybe I should stick to the fun and fluff threads. *sigh*. I don't think I do as well in serious discussions online as I do in person. Real time communication works so much better for me.
Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beloved For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #29
Nomad
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
stone femme Daddy's girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
disinterested

Quote:
Nomad,

Whoa! My intensional was not to piss you off and I'm sorry about that. I was just trying to ask some questions to understand where you were coming from. I was trying I explain how I felt about the whole thing. I'm on lunch break at work and I am posting from my phone. I don't like posting from my phone so this will be short. For now I just want to apologize for making you so angry. More to come at a later time.

Edit: I've never had the experience of a partner not validating that I'm queer. So I guess I didn't really understand what you were talking about. And until you gave more of an example I couldn't really imagine it. I think that is the basis of my misunderstanding here.

Maybe I should stick to the fun and fluff threads. *sigh*. I don't think I do as well in serious discussions online as I do in person. Real time communication works so much better for me.
i was apologizing to you. in my apology i acknowledged that i was unexpectedly triggered into feelings i thought were old news (pls note my flash back comment). i dont blame you for that and my apology is a sincere one. i didnt delete my original response because i felt there were valid points in it that were part of the original discussion but if you'll re-read the second half of my post you'll see that i apologized and i also said that i thought your question was a valid one and that i should have been clearer to begin with.

i feel like this is real time communication. it's real and it takes time. just like face to face conversation. there's no reason i can see that you should suggest that you dont do well in serious discussions on line. discussions are often uncomfortable and people make mistakes in them. i made a mistake. i apologized. i was sincere. that's all i can do.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2012, 05:37 AM   #30
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

This is hilarious! http://www.darcomic.org/2008/11/11/titles/
Old 07-26-2012, 05:45 AM   #31
Nomad
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
stone femme Daddy's girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
disinterested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintease View Post

this is hilarious! i'm definitely sharing!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #32
Tony

How Do You Identify?:
All Man (FTM if I must have a label)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male ones
Relationship Status:
She's my Southern Comfort

Thanked 1,241 Times in 326 Posts
Tony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST ReputationTony Has the BEST Reputation
Cool I like it

Hi all. Just stopping in to say hello. I'm the new guy & this forum caught my attention immediately. I'm glad I found this site.
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #33
Kent

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Single

Tournaments Won: 2

Thanked 2,058 Times in 720 Posts
Kent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Femmes That Love You...

Can we get a little love? Bump...
Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #34
GraffitiBoi

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male ones
Relationship Status:
Playing around and having fun

Thanked 3,663 Times in 824 Posts
GraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST ReputationGraffitiBoi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Can we get a little love? Bump...
A love bump... LOL
GraffitiBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GraffitiBoi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #35
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,164 Times in 3,021 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraffitiBoi View Post
A love bump... LOL
Ahahahaha...
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #36
WingsOnFire

How Do You Identify?:
Queer..femme.. .babygirl...girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female Ones...
Relationship Status:
Enjoying life but ready to meet someone

Thanked 12,476 Times in 3,357 Posts
WingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

subbing so I can find later to read. Great conversation!

Previously known as MidnightBlueEyes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://gailsforum.files.wordpress.co...-psd340941.png
WingsOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WingsOnFire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #37
Kent

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Single

Kent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST Reputation

Just a little Love Bump...
Old 10-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #38
Darbonaire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
MALE
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Working on myself, thank you

Darbonaire Has the BEST ReputationDarbonaire Has the BEST ReputationDarbonaire Has the BEST ReputationDarbonaire Has the BEST ReputationDarbonaire Has the BEST ReputationDarbonaire Has the BEST ReputationDarbonaire Has the BEST ReputationDarbonaire Has the BEST ReputationDarbonaire Has the BEST ReputationDarbonaire Has the BEST ReputationDarbonaire Has the BEST Reputation
Default Trans vs male or ftm

"VS" does not mean against..it means either/ or...I have been pondering this very question for awhile now. I do not identify or refer to myself as "trans". I am male...always have been. I had the benefit of being raised with the opportunity to explore my female side & that makes me an even more well-rounded person I think. Anyway, the other day a dear friend of mine & I were talking, & I was discussing a probelm I was having in my relationship...I have no idea what the problem was now but, my friend said, "Well sweetie...that's becaue you don't identify as a trans-man...you identify as a man." I thought about this & then got caught up in life & it went by the wayside. I do have to wonder though...for others....how do you see yourself or ID yourself? If you ID as "trans" what does that mean to you & why? If you ID as male...same thing....what & why?

I am curious since I never thought there was such a thing....lol....I do know that straight women bore me...plus, I have missed my lesbian & gay friends. So, even though I am male.....I love lesbians.....I look at it this way....

Lucky Me !!!

All responses are welcome...

Jonathan
Darbonaire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darbonaire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #39
Kent

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Single

I thought we were gonna have some femmes come in and love on us..
Old 10-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #40
Dance-with-me

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 1,926 Times in 378 Posts
Dance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
I thought we were gonna have some femmes come in and love on us..
You've got to EARN the love, cowboy.

This is an excellent conversation - thanks for bumping it.

(and I'll say in advance that I am tired, loopy from some Benadryl, I'm responding from my phone, so please excuse any nonsensical meandering rambles, typos, and weird auto corrects.)

I ID as a queer femme because I find myself attracted pretty much exclusively to very masculine butch's or trans guys, and not at all significantly attracted to more feminine or androgynous women - or to cis-guys. I have attempted at times to explain it or even just understand for myself, but really it just is what it is.

But when I have dated transmen in the past, and it definitely brought up in me some of the same issues that some of the other femme here have mentioned, especially in terms of the invisibility I face as someone who is queer. My own identity is never defined by my relationship to someone else, but at the same time, what I lose when dating a transman is the ability to just be myself and automatically be out about my own identity. When someone who looks like me discusses the person I'm seeing using male pronouns, and walks down the street with somebody who is coearly male, the only way to be out about my own identity is to be very deliberate about coming out - i lase the option of being out just by being myself.

But at the same time, I would absolutely respect my lover/partners/whatever's choice to notrelative as trans or with relating to him as simply male and not as trans.

There are just no easy answers for this, because of course I have just as much right to maintain and be clear about my own identity as any Transguy has a right to be clear about his own identity.

So I'm just really curious. This question is for the post transition guys who identify only as male and not as trans, and who completely pass as male. In what ways (if any) do you feel completely comfortable supporting your femme's assertion of her own queer identity. And in what ways would you like to see her handle the questions she would receive from her friends, community, family, coworkers, about why after so many years she has chosen to date/be partnered with a guy?

Please give your answer from the standpoint that your femme is 100% excepting and respecting who you are and how you identify.
Dance-with-me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dance-with-me For This Useful Post: