Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 10-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,594 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation
Default Your Death and Post-Death Preferences

I know it sounds morbid, but we are all facing eventual death. Sometimes we know it's coming and sometimes we don't. It's the one area where we have little control over when or where or how.

Today, it's on my mind. I'm not sure why, and I am. It's not coming from a morbid place. It's just that it's been on my mind lately. Maybe it was beautiful sweetcalico's clothes at the femme clothing swap and the feeling she is still with us, that her memory lives on among us. Due to a long break from the community, I wasn't aware she was sick. But she was one of my favorite posters on the dash site, and it was saddening to know she had passed over. But the clothing swap was beautiful and part of the reason for that was the passing on of her clothes to her sister femmes and the honoring of her spirit in that sweaty half-naked, warm frenzy.

And I've been thinking about the funerals and other memorials I've attended. I love cemeteries - especially the older ones.

So I guess this thread is a chance to think about what you'd like to leave behind, how you'd like your death handled, what you want to happen with your body, how you'd like to be remembered. Of course these ideas are like to change over the years. So, I will post my own thoughts later. Hopefully death is a long long way away for most of us, but I don't think it would be ad to have an idea in mind for the time when it comes. For those facing death at closer range, I assume you may have begun to think about these things more than those of us may have.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Turtle

How Do You Identify?:
A mixity
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatever
Relationship Status:
chillin

Thanked 4,531 Times in 1,222 Posts
Turtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hey Nat...

I spend a lot of time in the midst of death and grief and I am very aware if it...

I try to live my life being with other people as best I can...

When people hear of my passing, my preference would be for people to just smile and think how nice it was to know me. But it's not that simple, I can't run other people's feelings or their grief, but I'd rather they weren't in pain...so I'd rather just evaporate over time from people's consciousness and that they never hear of my death...just be glad to have known me...
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Turtle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

I know enough about what funeral parlors do to bodies to know that I want to be cremated.
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
stargazingboi

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~

Thanked 8,321 Times in 1,626 Posts
stargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputation

I know it’s a painful thought for many to think about losing the person they love, a friend, a lover, a sister, a brother, etc.

As for the actual funeral the arrangements they have been all set up and placed in writing…everything is selected so that no one has to sit and wonder what to do during such a time. My hope is that if there is anything left worth using to save another, that they take it…then send me off for the services and then cremation. I update it often…music lists change, I grow each year and tweak the message I want to sent to those I leave behind.

I am aware of my mortality, as I have faced death several times, and know that in the future one day I will not be able to escape my fate. I live each day grateful for being able to spend one more day with those I love, and I pray they know just how much love I hold for them.

Much like Turtle, I would like people to smile when they think me, to know that I impacted them in a positive way…remember me fondly and gently, remember my strength and desires to live a love filled life. However, yet again Turtle points out a fact that remains…I cannot control their response. So, I sit and I pray that the love I gave will be enough to last through the years they remain.
stargazingboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stargazingboi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,144 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

I would like for my body to be buried in a biodegradable bag so that my body can provide nutrients for the earth and the living plants around it. I don't care where. Everybody can party and have a good time around the burial sight. I would prefer for people to celebrate my life and not mourn my death. And no one is allowed to wear black.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

I want to be rolled and smoked... but since I can't have that I supposed cremation will do, kind of the same thing I guess..

As to what I want to leave ppl with, just that I am remembered fondly... my possessions are to my gal and family.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 4,261 Times in 677 Posts
Words Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST Reputation

I want a traditional Muslim burial. Ideally, it should take place within 24 hours of my passing although I appreciate that for practical reasons, that's unlikely to happen so I've made it clear that even if I have to spend a few days 'on hold' elsewhere, I want to spend the night before the burial at home. (I used to work in a hospital and often had cause to visit the mortuary...the impersonal nature, the sterile environment, are probably why I want this.)

A bit strange, I know, but it's important to me.

Words
Words is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Words For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Thanked 11,917 Times in 2,700 Posts
Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation

When I pass ~

I've heard that there are a couple of
questions folks have just before they pass.

Was I loved, and did I love well.
I can honestly say that I can say yes to both of these.

I am of the Philosophy that when we are born, we begin to die.
From that moment on, it is the inevitable and we should all act accordingly.

Take the physical being I reside in and sift through the ashes when I'm gone.
You will not find me there, I will be in the same place I always have been.
In the hearts of those who shared My life with me.

Mrs Day would like to wear an amulet with my ashes in it.
I told her to feel free to have mah ashes added to ink.
She tiled her head...and I said...for a tattoo.

I probably didn't answer the questions,
but I'm not high yet so there that is.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #9
Hack
Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort

Thanked 3,783 Times in 960 Posts
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation

I read an article several months ago about the "green" funeral movement. If you think about it, when we bury the dead in a cemetery, we put a lot of stuff in the ground that is not good -- heavy metals, chemicals, treated wood products, etc.

I tried to find a link to the article (it was in Audubon Magazine), but I can't locate it. Here is a good link, though, to an organization that espouses "green" funerals. http://www.greenburialcouncil.org/

As for me, personally, I have to admit I haven't given much thought to it. I am a very much a "day at a time" type of person. I do know I'm not big on a church thing. I'd just rather it be some sort of non-denominational memorial type thing with a nice party afterward.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2011, 04:30 AM   #10
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

columbarium?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:38 AM   #11
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Donate whatever can be donated, and then cremation.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2011, 04:42 AM   #12
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I read an article several months ago about the "green" funeral movement. If you think about it, when we bury the dead in a cemetery, we put a lot of stuff in the ground that is not good -- heavy metals, chemicals, treated wood products, etc.

I tried to find a link to the article (it was in Audubon Magazine), but I can't locate it. Here is a good link, though, to an organization that espouses "green" funerals. http://www.greenburialcouncil.org/

As for me, personally, I have to admit I haven't given much thought to it. I am a very much a "day at a time" type of person. I do know I'm not big on a church thing. I'd just rather it be some sort of non-denominational memorial type thing with a nice party afterward.

Six Feet Under had a few episodes about green burials. There were some pretty visceral details, but seemed good to me. (I think I read that the land might be a problem--is it that it shouldn't get into the water table or something?) I don't know, but it's an interesting topic to research.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,543 Times in 4,141 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

I have a will and all my loved ones already know this. Just in case here is my desires. Take all the parts you want , cremate the rest. But here is the most important part. Instead of a wake and a funeral, I want a huge party! Catered in a huge place with a big dance floorand lots of tables and chairs. Free open bar. With a champagne fountain. I want a band or a real good DJ. They can request any song or music they want. But they must play these 2 songs, and when they do everyone must get on the dance floor and dance. Even if you are in a wheelchair. The Hokey Pokey, and the chicken dance. Because you can't dance to those songs without laughing or at least smile. I promise if I can be there somehow come back for a few minutes to be with you for those two songs I will. Then at the end of the evening after everyone has eaten well , drank their fill and danced, they will go outside for one awesome fireworks show. And those who know me, know if I can be there with you for that, I wouldn't miss it.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
Gina

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady, Her, she...etc..
Relationship Status:
Single

Gina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGG View Post
I have a will and all my loved ones already know this. Just in case here is my desires. Take all the parts you want , cremate the rest. But here is the most important part. Instead of a wake and a funeral, I want a huge party! Catered in a huge place with a big dance floorand lots of tables and chairs. Free open bar. With a champagne fountain. I want a band or a real good DJ. They can request any song or music they want. But they must play these 2 songs, and when they do everyone must get on the dance floor and dance. Even if you are in a wheelchair. The Hokey Pokey, and the chicken dance. Because you can't dance to those songs without laughing or at least smile. I promise if I can be there somehow come back for a few minutes to be with you for those two songs I will. Then at the end of the evening after everyone has eaten well , drank their fill and danced, they will go outside for one awesome fireworks show. And those who know me, know if I can be there with you for that, I wouldn't miss it.

I am with you on the party Jagg!!! And there will be one...

Gina (too busy to stay here)..
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #15
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Ol Butch Bones
Preferred Pronoun?:
Old Thing
Relationship Status:
Too old to play.

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

My parents as well as my teachers from India, have tried to teach me to remain even-minded through all the vicissitudes of life. If I saw a movie that made me cry I was told to stop, it is only a movie. If someone was sick or dying, I was expected to sustain positive vibes or be scolded. When I saw my parents dying I cried, and was told to leave the room. Death and suffering were hardly talked about in my house or among my family unless, it was to give medicine and sympathy in soothing whispers, or practice opposition positivity. At funerals and such, there was no partying or crying. I was to give honor and respect. So when it is time for me to kick off this frame, I want to do it quietly and disappear. The way I am living now. No drama or I miss you.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #16
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,879 Times in 2,477 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am a United States Marine and I've always been very proud of that fact and of the bond I share with my brothers and sisters who also wear that title proudly. Some of the most special moments of my life have been spent in the company of my fellow Marines and when I die, I'd like to rest in their company for all time. I can think of no higher honor and no finer place to rest in peace. So, with that in mind, here are my final wishes.

I am an organ donor, so I'd like whatever I might have left and useable to be donated to help another live or have a higher quality of life, if possible. After that, I want to be cremated and have my ashes interred at the Beaufort National Cemetery, outside the gates of Marine Corps Recruit Depot at Parris Island, South Carolina. I'd like a military funeral with a small detachment of Marines present to present the flag to my family members present. Also, Beaufort, SC, is only 35 miles from my home town of Savannah, GA., so that will mean that I am finally home.

Theo ...via Blackberry.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #17
chai~

How Do You Identify?:
Self possessed Aquarian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Don't call me baby~
Relationship Status:
Deliciously single and loving it.

Thanked 3,383 Times in 864 Posts
chai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputationchai~ Has the BEST Reputation

I will bookmark myself here, and come back with my take on my "wrap party"!

What I DO know is this, donate everything that can help someone else out, eyes, heart, liver, etc.

As a non smoker, non drug user and non drinker, I have some pretty good spare parts for someone else to use!! If I do say so myself!!

Cremate the rest. I don't want $ wasted on a fancy wooden box, with a chunk of carved marble.

Sprinkle me in the sea, then I can travel the world and be everywhere!

If family and friends are worried about not having a grave site to go visit me at, then I suggest to them, light a delicious candle for me in their living room, and take a moment to just talk to me. If they wish they could take flowers to my grave, then please, buy the biggest bouquet, and enjoy them beside the candle. In your own home, share them with me, so they can enjoy them also.

I don't have a lot of "things" to leave behind. But let me think about it some more!
chai~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chai~ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2015, 09:07 PM   #18
Tuff Stuff

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,318 Times in 506 Posts
Tuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
I know it sounds morbid, but we are all facing eventual death. Sometimes we know it's coming and sometimes we don't. It's the one area where we have little control over when or where or how.

Today, it's on my mind. I'm not sure why, and I am. It's not coming from a morbid place. It's just that it's been on my mind lately. Maybe it was beautiful sweetcalico's clothes at the femme clothing swap and the feeling she is still with us, that her memory lives on among us. Due to a long break from the community, I wasn't aware she was sick. But she was one of my favorite posters on the dash site, and it was saddening to know she had passed over. But the clothing swap was beautiful and part of the reason for that was the passing on of her clothes to her sister femmes and the honoring of her spirit in that sweaty half-naked, warm frenzy.

And I've been thinking about the funerals and other memorials I've attended. I love cemeteries - especially the older ones.

So I guess this thread is a chance to think about what you'd like to leave behind, how you'd like your death handled, what you want to happen with your body, how you'd like to be remembered. Of course these ideas are like to change over the years. So, I will post my own thoughts later. Hopefully death is a long long way away for most of us, but I don't think it would be ad to have an idea in mind for the time when it comes. For those facing death at closer range, I assume you may have begun to think about these things more than those of us may have.
No matter what you think of death,its morbid just thinking about it.Yeah,it's there at times,somewhere in the back of my mind...of course right now its up front and center.
My lady worries more about it than me.My job sometimes requires I leave home and hit the roads around 1-3 am in the morning.The roads here are dark and winding and I have escaped a few catastrophes where I had to literally breath a loud sign of relieve that I had escaped death once again.

I have been up close and personal with death.I have seen people die right before my eyes.It doesn't scare me when i'm out there in the world.

Death will frighten me only when i'm like laying in bed at night and my mind is relaxed and I start thinking about people,friends,loved ones who have passed on and I start to let my mind wander about life and death.And its like, when I die that's it,life will be over...and I wonder if it will hurt to die..I mean,you stop breathing and that starts to scare me and I think of something else real quick.

Some tell me death is like birth,like the baby doesn't want to leave its mothers womb,its like people don't want to leave our mother earths womb.I mean what is really on the other side?..anywhere,that's probably another thread.

It's in my Will that I want to be cremated and taken to the family cemetery.That cemetery dates back to the late 1800's and I suppose i'll have plenty of family kin to hang around with...see I don't know..what happens after...and don't tell me it doesn't matter what happens after you are dead,because it dose..you leave behind family,some that will miss you.Btw,i'm not saying that to anyone here in particular.

My death,your death dose matter...I think i would not want to leave any heartbreaks and sorrows behind me..no funeral,plz.
If they must,write an obituary and put it in the paper..and talk about the good stuff,not so much of my passing.
Tuff Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote