EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Anyone else done the CBC's political compass thing for these elections? Apparently I should be voting Green. That won't get Harper out of office, though lol

If anyone wants to do it for fun: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...1/votecompass/
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #42
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
Anyone else done the CBC's political compass thing for these elections? Apparently I should be voting Green. That won't get Harper out of office, though lol

If anyone wants to do it for fun: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...1/votecompass/
Yeah, I did that a while ago. I also got Green - which is strange cuz I thought I was "orange".
Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #43
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

I missed the first half of the election debates last night, but from what I saw of the second half Ignatieff and Duceppe were well ahead of the others...and Duceppe made some hilarious comments. Honestly, if I lived in Québec I'd vote for him. I loved one of his comments on Harper's anti-gun registry spiel that went something like: "With the Conservatives you register the dogs, you register the ducks, you register everything except for the gun!"

Also, I wish Layton would stop trying to pick at Ignatieff, that kind of left/liberal division is not what this election needs. We need to get rid of Harper, not pick at other liberal/left parties. We need a left/liberal coalition, and barring that Ignatieff is the best shot we have. But looking at the polls, it'll probably be another minority government. Since last time it looks like the Liberals have won 3% from NDP to give them a greater edge on the Conservatives.

Anyways, in case anyone else missed a part of the debate, they are apparently on youtube. Will be sure not to miss the French language debates tonight.

First part:

Second part:

Third:

and beyond that you can listen to the rest of the parts (there are 12 in total) through this guy's channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/chrisgratton#p/u
Old 04-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #44
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

I like the compass, I heard about it on the Strombo show. I love Strombo, he has to be one of the hardest working Canadian men in show/talk business.

Anyway, I was only able to catch parts of the debate, but I did catch the CBC wrap up. I personally don't like Iggy, he creeps me out. I really like Layton, as a public speaker and a leader. And Harper looks like a poster child for Valium. He is such a wet noodle.

I am a greenie through and through and ONE DAY the greenies will be on the debate. Even if I am not a huge fan of Elizabeth May, I am a fan of their policies. It is my hope that one day Canadians will wake up and vote... and maybe, just maybe, we will have more than a two party freaking political system...ooh look we are conservative...oh no we are liberal... oh no now we are conservative again...

okay off my rant

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #45
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

I know some folks I know were having problems finding the French language debate. It's on CBLFT/Radio Canada for those looking for it (and everyone should watch!).

Also, Ignatieff needs to spruce up his French a little "Il faut dire des choses vrai à des gens!" Lulz :P

Harper is robotic as usual...but somewhat more hesitant in French which throws of his "look at me, I shall be calm yet belittling...beeeliiieevveee mmeee! Pretty please!", lol. I don't think he's staring as creepily at the screen as last night though...but continues to lie outright about everything.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #46
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

I came out liberal on the compass. This riding is always conservative, so I guess I'll just get out there and vote. Liberal about fits I guess, but only in regards to their stated positions. We all know that the reality doesn't necessarily fit the description. Don't have television, so didn't see the debates. Thanks for the links Ender. I didn't even think to look online. I'll take the time tomorrow to watch them "comme il faut".
Old 04-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #47
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Shit Harper Did - and none of it is any good.

Don't forget to vote, people.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #48
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Lots and lots of news! And most of it fucking sucks these days!

On the topic of Shit Harper Did: These elections have resulted in some pretty skeezy moves the Conservative Party and highlights how important it is that we get them the fuck out of office!

One of the biggest issues: On Thursday April 14th, Students at the University of Guelph were lining up to vote at the special ballot station on the UofGuelph campus when Conservative party members stormed onto the scene questioning the legality of the voting station. One Conservative even tried to grab the ballot box, which is completely illegal. As such, there was a huge issue on whether or not Elections Canada would count the 700 votes placed by UofGuelph students. They've ruled that they will count the votes, but fell to Conservative pressure and have now stated that NO special ballot voting stations are to be placed on University campuses despite that they were legal before. This is a DIRECT blow to student voters and I hope its enough for my peers to realise how important this election is. Harper is systematically trying to dismantle democracy in this country, by discouraging young Canadians from voting; a vote that would almost certainly unseat him since only 21% of Canadians voted for Harper in the last elections and they were largely over 40 years of age, many organised into voting by leaders in Canada's religious right.

Many Canadians between the ages of 18-30 are often politically apathetic. And even Canadians in their 30s don't go out and vote as often as those over 40. These age groups are very often, albeit apathetic, supporters of Liberal and Left-leaning parties, moreso than their older counterparts (though that isn't to say there aren't those over 40 that support the Left...otherwise we might not have had a minority, but a majority)...they make up a chunk of the 50% of Canadians that didn't vote last election. So to I'll expand that 18-30 to 18-39...GET OUT AND VOTE!

I highly recommend that everyone vote strategically in their area. http://catch22campaign.ca/notes is a website that has detailed most/all uncertain ridings. If you live in one of these ridings under threat of a Conservative seat, then I'd encourage you to vote for the Liberal/NDP/Green leader who is closest to unseating the Conservative in your riding.

Ignatieff made an excellent speech yesterday in Sudbury telling Canadians that this is no longer about party politics, about who you vote for, but about ending the threat to democracy that Harper represents. He told Canadians to "Rise Up!" and that has quickly become the Anti-Harper slogan. So help secure your riding from the Conservatives!

In other news, the Jewish Defence League protested outside of the Toronto Pride office yesterday, throwing around homophobic slurs at mostly silent lgbt counterprotestors. Boo on them, and screw that idjiot Rob Ford...at least he has no excuse to cancel Toronto Pride funding without revealing himself even more as the bigot he is.

http://www.xtra.ca/public/Toronto/Je...nto-10031.aspx
Old 04-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #49
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

I just wanted to drop a link to Ignatieff's amazing speech yesterday:

Rise Up Canada! Levez-vous, le Canada!

and might I add a Vive le Canada libre!

Canadians are really starting to talk about this speech last night and today. I wonder how it'll affect the Conservative lead in the polls...negatively I hope!
The Following User Says Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #50
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Ok. I need someone to explain something to me. The Charter of Rights says the following:

Quote:
Source: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/c...-ga:l_I-gb:s_2

Democratic Rights

Democratic rights of citizens
3. Every citizen of Canada has the right to vote in an election of members of the House of Commons or of a legislative assembly and to be qualified for membership therein.
But Elections Canada says...

Quote:
Source: http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx...ec90540&lang=e

Canadian citizens temporarily residing outside Canada

Canadians who will be 18 years of age or older on polling day and are temporarily residing outside Canada may vote by special ballot in an election or referendum. They must have resided in Canada at any time before applying for registration, have been residing outside Canada for less than five consecutive years immediately before making the application and intend to resume residence in Canada.
The five-year limit does not apply to:
  • electors who are employed outside Canada in federal or provincial public administration or people living with them
  • electors who are employed outside Canada by an international organization of which Canada is a member and to which Canada contributes, or people living with them
  • electors living with members of the Canadian Forces outside Canada or with civilians who are teachers or members of the administrative support staff for a Canadian Forces school
So do I suddenly not become Canadian once the 5th year passes? I lose one of my basic fundamental rights as a Canadian?

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #51
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

@Linus...that is really strange, I've never heard of that before. I'd call their 1-800 number and ask them. I can't see why Canadians should have to stop voting after residing outside the country for 5 years...you still have Canadian citizenship. For some reason I always thought my relatives over in Europe with dual citizenship still voted in the elections. If that's true then that sucks arse!

On that note, to those who may not have been paying attention (but really, who wouldn't be!? lol) advanced polls are open today, tomorrow and Monday from 12-8pm. I have officially done my duty to help take Harper down

Now it's time for the massive link/video drop. Check here to see if your riding's a swing riding: http://www.stopthesplit.org/

Mocking Harper's attempt to get "the ethnic vote" lol:

And McGill vote mob cause UofT one (hellz yeah!) isn't up yet:

Had Enough Harper?

Ok, I'm done now :P
Old 04-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #52
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Smile My Riding

Recommendation: Vote freely

NDP 51.9%
Liberal 19.4%
Conservative 23.9%
Green 4.5%

http://www.stopthesplit.org/
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #53
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Harper's latest stunt now appears to be promising to create an Office of Religious Freedom. Canada seems to be turning into a dystopian novel and the perfect picture of a dictatorship. I've no doubt Harper will use this to get even more of his evangelical friends into office, maybe give Faytene Kryskow an official job...these people are nuts.

This is how our government continues to promote discrimination and abuse of individual's rights under the guise of "religious freedom." I don't know if anyone read Harper's Rediscovering the Right Agenda essay, but he's even gone as far as excusing parents physically punishing their children as "religious freedom." I'm sure same-sex marriage would come under attack as well under the guise of "religious freedom" as well as women's right to abortion and so on.

http://www.conservative.ca/press/new...ound_the_world
Old 04-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #54
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Am I reading right? The NDP are in second place? And gaining?

The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #55
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Am I reading right? The NDP are in second place? And gaining?
So the EKOS polls say, though some others say differently. Also, even pollsters have gone over the real problems with poll accuracy. They only poll people via landlines and only 1,000 or so at a time...so likely completely leaving out many demographics including youth and students. Only 15% of respondants actually agree to answer these things anyways. We won't know what's going on until May 2nd. That said, an NDP surge is better than a Conservative surge so it doesn't worry me too much. I just don't trust Layton that much, but I trust Harper 100 times less, lol.

I dunno, I'm kind of against polls in the elections cause I worry that they suppress votes by making people think their vote won't make a difference anyways. Then again, already they said the advance polls attracted far more than in the last few elections, so that's good news.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #56
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
So the EKOS polls say, though some others say differently. Also, even pollsters have gone over the real problems with poll accuracy. They only poll people via landlines and only 1,000 or so at a time...so likely completely leaving out many demographics including youth and students. Only 15% of respondants actually agree to answer these things anyways. We won't know what's going on until May 2nd. That said, an NDP surge is better than a Conservative surge so it doesn't worry me too much. I just don't trust Layton that much, but I trust Harper 100 times less, lol.

I dunno, I'm kind of against polls in the elections cause I worry that they suppress votes by making people think their vote won't make a difference anyways. Then again, already they said the advance polls attracted far more than in the last few elections, so that's good news.
Yes but Canada has far less polling than the US when it comes to elections and, IIRC, Elections Canada puts a limit on when the polls can be asked near an election (I think they can't ask within a 24-48 hour period before the election or something like that)

Old 04-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #57
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Yes but Canada has far less polling than the US when it comes to elections and, IIRC, Elections Canada puts a limit on when the polls can be asked near an election (I think they can't ask within a 24-48 hour period before the election or something like that)
Even so, I think the damage is already done by that point. Tbh, I'd support getting rid of them outright. They often seem self-prophecizing as far as how important many people think they are. Especially when it comes to getting the youth/student vote out I think it's important to realise how polls can affect results or suppress votes since many young Canadians are already under the impression that they can't make a difference. These elections things are going better what with vote mobs, social media etc., but still really hate how much weight the public puts on polls.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #58
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Oh and Rob Ford just said he endorses Harper. Surprised, anyone? Anyone at all? lol
Old 04-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #59
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Even so, I think the damage is already done by that point. Tbh, I'd support getting rid of them outright. They often seem self-prophecizing as far as how important many people think they are. Especially when it comes to getting the youth/student vote out I think it's important to realise how polls can affect results or suppress votes since many young Canadians are already under the impression that they can't make a difference. These elections things are going better what with vote mobs, social media etc., but still really hate how much weight the public puts on polls.
Not necessarily. Remember they only show how Canadians feel across the country as a whole and isn't reflective of local MP. Many vote based on that person alone, regardless of the overall party. Certainly there are those that "toe the line" but I don't think it's as prevalent as previously.

I think Canadians are not happy with Harper and if the advanced polls are higher than usual we may be seeing something entirely new. IIRC, when the NDP won in Ontario years ago the same thing happened: backlash against a PC gov't and deciding to give someone new a chance in the ridings.

I've heard a few of the ads on CHUM-FM (listening Live Online) and have to said that some of them are just bad, like really bad. They treat Canadians as if they are children and I don't think I've really heard any ads by any party state what they are going to do for the country. They've all been about what's wrong with the other guy (negative ads like that are why people don't vote).

Old 04-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #60
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Here's the solution for the election:

The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:

Tags
canada