Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 01-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #2881
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybear View Post
Ok I have a question for all of you who have been excerising on a regular basis. I have NO idea where to start on the strength training. How many reps I should do and how often should I increase the reps?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for all the support I have gotten for y'all already.
Here's an answer direct from a personal trainer. 12 to 15 is the magic range for reps (repetitions) in each set. The weight should be heavy enough that you feel the work it takes but not so heavy that you can't bang out 12 to 15 in good form. If your form is suffering, then you need to drop the weight.

Personally, I stick with 12 reps per set. When my trainer trains me, he has me do 15 reps per set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybear View Post
Randrum

I am assuming here that you are talking about free weights. If your not then please explain to me which machine. The gym I belong to has so many machines I have NO clue where to start or how to even use them.

I keep reading where some are talking about a circuit. Is there a certain circuit to follow? If so what is it? Do you have to do everything on the circuit everytime?

I have so many questions and don't want to hurt myself or break a machine. I promise to try and not overwhelm y'all with questions.

Thank you for your patience
The circuit is a designated section where you can get a full body workout of the major muscle groups in a reasonable amount of time (usually 30 minutes or so). For PF, like Randrum goes to, there is a traffic light. When the light turns green, you start your lifting and when the light turns red, you wipe the machine down and move on to the next machine in the circuit. I usually ignore the lights (unless it's crowded and then I'll obey the rules out of time consideration for the other gym goers) and do 2 to 3 sets of 12 reps for each machine.

You can hop in and out of the circuit as you please. It's your body, your workout so it's up to you how you do it.

That's a fair question about breaking the machines. Most of them you shouldn't have any worries about but those that can be mounted may have a weight limit on them.

Injury is a definite concern. It's very easy to hurt yourself if you use improper form and/or lift too much weight too fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
I suggest talking to the management at the gym. They should walk you through the machines and should give a general outline for what to machines to use to reach your goals. It is also important that they show you how to use the machines correctly so that you don't hurt yourself.
This is an excellent suggestion. Also, some gyms will offer one free training session or a free orientation to familiarize you with the machines. If yours does, take advantage of it. If not, it could be worth your while to pay for one training session to get you started. If you do that, make it very clear that you are a beginner and are not positive of how much weight would work for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrum View Post
Dapper is right. It is a good idea to talk to the gym staff about how each machine is used so that you use it properly. They may also be able to give advice as to where to start.

Personally, I usually lift, when healthy, 2-3 times a week. And I tend to focus on muscle groups. Upper body (chest, arms, shoulders, and back) and lower body (legs & abs). I use a combination of free weights and machines.

Occasionally I'll throw in a circuit for variety. I go to Planet Fitness and they have a 30 minute express circuit that makes it easy.
I lift differently than Randrum. Nothing wrong with that; it's our individual bodies with individual issues, obstacles and goals, so we're bound to go about things differently.

Abs can be worked more often than other muscle groups as they heal faster, so when I'm in a routine, I'll work my abs every day. I just work different parts of them on different days. For example, upper and lower abs one day and obliques (sides) the following day.

Give yourself at least 48 hours between working out the same muscle groups. If you work your lower body (quads, hammies, glutes, hips) on Monday, don't work them again until Wednesday at the earliest. Give yourself more time at first because your body's not used to regular training. You may want to start with one day for upper body and one day for lower body each week for a couple of weeks and then add in one more day the third week.

One of my programs was upper body (chest, triceps, biceps, back, shoulders) on day 1, cardio on day 2, training lower body on day 3, cardio on day 4. Rest day then repeat.

One of the simplest and cheapest things you can do for yourself is to watch youtube videos of beginner weight training videos. If you want to start at home, go to Walmart or a discount store and get yourself some resistance bands and free weights. You can do those workouts at home if you are shy about the gym or if you can't make it to the gym one day or night but want to get some work in. You can do simple lifting while watching TV.

Maybe one of these might help:

Don't forget to warm up properly for about 5-10 minutes doing cardio or jumping jacks before you do any weight training. It warms up the muscles and minimizes your chance of injury. Lifting with cold muscles is a bad idea. Also remember to stretch and cool down afterwards.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #2882
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Today was rough. The didn't let me get hardly any sleep so I was sluggish when the alarm went off, I didn't anticipate the ice on the car so I had to scrape that off and I wound up a smidge late to my training session. I had to do a bunch of jumping jacks in the back of the bathroom to warm up. lol I didn't realize someone was drying off in the showers and scared her and she startled me when she pulled back the curtain. That's one way to get my cardio, right?

30 minute training session. I'm not positive of the proper name of all of machines and exercises but this is what happened to my body:

machine: worked back, quads, glutes, hammies
free weights: bent over row
repeat
machine: core twists
machine: triceps dip
repeat
free weights: bicep curl combo with forearm twist
core twists
repeat
bicep curl combo
machine: shoulder pull back
repeat
machine: worked back, quads, glutes, hammies
triceps
planks

I suspect I forgot something but that's the gist of it. Around the 12 minute mark is when the sweat really kicks in.

I followed that up with 35 minutes on the recumbent bike.

Precor 846i, cross training program

150 cal, 5.85 mi

Got lucky and found the cardio room dark and empty so I stretched in there.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #2883
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Yesterday: 1.5 hour walk in the park with my brother, leisurely

Today: 30 min stair master, manual 2-4

Strength training is my favorite part of exercise because it's the most energizing and the most results oriented imo. I do all free weights, lifting and calf strap-ons (no giggling), always two sets of 15 (my own preference).

Forgot to add: also love using medicine balls (lots of ideas on that available on the Internet).

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #2884
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfem View Post
Yesterday: 1.5 hour walk in the park with my brother, leisurely

Today: 30 min stair master, manual 2-4

Strength training is my favorite part of exercise because it's the most energizing and the most results oriented imo. I do all free weights, lifting and calf strap-ons (no giggling), always two sets of 15 (my own preference).

Forgot to add: also love using medicine balls (lots of ideas on that available on the Internet).
's Anyway
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #2885
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,159 Times in 3,019 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

There was no time to exercise today and there might well be no time tomorrow. But it's okay. A lot of my exercise right now is focused on loosening up/breaking up scar tissue in my chest and sides and I know I need to give muscles time to heal between exercise days. I'm content with my endurance and muscular strength for right now. I tried to remember to roll back my shoulders and stretch a lot today between things.
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 11:35 PM   #2886
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I had to go to my chiro appointment, then pay some bills then off the grocery to pick up a few things. This time I didn't use the handy cap buggy I walked the store nice and easy, not the normal stuff but enough I was tired when I got home.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2016, 08:05 AM   #2887
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

This is my last day off for several days so my gym visits may get sporadic during this time. I wanted to do a really good workout today but the had other ideas and when the alarm went off, I wasn't as refreshed as I hoped to be so it wound up being a standard workout.

Precor EFX 576i elliptical
315.1 cal, 2.53 mi, 35:00 min

For some reason, I felt a twinge in my left knee. This is the knee that goes first if either of them is going to go, so maybe I'll stay off the ellipticals for a little while when I do make it to the gym.

I stretched good afterwards and got spin-pimped in the locker room. A lady introduced herself to me and asked if I was new, et cetera, general chit chat, more et cetera and then she asked if I'd taken any of the spin classes. Ten minutes later, I was able to extract myself. I'm not saying she wasn't nice, because she was, and I'm not saying her information wasn't sound, because it was. I'm just saying I've never been spin-pimped before and I'm not sure if I like it or not.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #2888
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation
Default It's not a New Year's resolution...I swear.

Now that winter is finally getting to the Northeast I'm taking my activities indoors. I wouldn't call it a New Year's resolution, but I do need a regimen to keep me disciplined and active.

Regimen includes alternating cardio and weights - 6 days a week going forward. Short term plan - 2 months of this and then switch it up.

Tues - Spinning class 1 hour
Wed - Weights (will detail this later on a weight day)
Today - Treadmill - inclines and intervals 30 min
Tomorrow - Weights

Gemme - your posts are a wealth of knowledge - thank you! I was spin-pimped and now I'm into it 1 day a week. LOL

Last edited by Fancy; 01-07-2016 at 08:29 AM. Reason: typo
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #2889
angelface
Timed Out - Identity Issues

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

angelface Has the BEST Reputationangelface Has the BEST Reputationangelface Has the BEST Reputationangelface Has the BEST Reputationangelface Has the BEST Reputationangelface Has the BEST Reputationangelface Has the BEST Reputationangelface Has the BEST Reputationangelface Has the BEST Reputationangelface Has the BEST Reputationangelface Has the BEST Reputation
Default 1st Week...DONE!

On the 5x5 stronglift programme mixed with HIIT cycling. Sore the first week but already seeing improvements all over.
angelface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to angelface For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #2890
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

45 min. stairmaster 2.5 floors per minute, levels 2 through 4, 350 cal, 115 floors
15 min. stretching and light light leg/ab work

I go after work and was EXHAUSTED after work but I made it there, and the exercise reinvigorated me.

How do I... ?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #2891
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Hey, friends,

Today I did a 1.5 hour walk in the park with my friend, Hope. She's my cat sitter and my old college roommate. I told her to come over after her morning pilates class, and then when she came over, I was still laying in bed in my jammies with BB. She petted the cats while I got ready. I kind of turned her into a drill sergeant without the yelling. I asked if she minded that I'd arranged for her to be the catalyst that got me out of bed, and she said she didn't. So... more power to me.

This afternoon I went to the gym and did half an hour on the stair master, 2.5 floors per minute, 88 floors, levels 2-4, 270 calories. I'm still watching Making a Murderer on Netflix. I really enjoyed watching Season 2 of Transparent. I loved it!

How do I... ?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #2892
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

I dragged myself out into it today and had an okay workout. I didn't feel super pumped or excited about it, but it was good.

Concept 2 rower
113 cal, 2189 meters, 12:00 min

I tried a fitness program but apparently it only runs for two minutes despite the display that shows peaks across the screen.

Fitness Test
4.5 cal, .25 mi, 2:00 min

That was a bust.

Precor 846i recumbent bike
111 cal, 3.75 mi, 20:00 min

Finally, I hopped onto a treadmill to stretch out the legs.

Technogym ?
22 cal, .21 mi, 6:00 min

I stretched and it was pouring cats, dogs and an aardvark when I left.

I'm misunderestimated.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #2893
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

I had a nice work-out at the gym today. I did 30 minutes on the StairMaster, 94 floors, levels 2-4, 290 calories, 2.5 floors per minute. Then 30 minutes of yoga, stretching, and weight lifting, and ab/leg exercises. Those last 30 minutes were especially relaxing. It was a cold and rainy night outside and somehow a breeze was coming into the gym, and it felt kind of magical.

How do I... ?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #2894
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfem View Post
I had a nice work-out at the gym today. I did 30 minutes on the StairMaster, 94 floors, levels 2-4, 290 calories, 2.5 floors per minute. Then 30 minutes of yoga, stretching, and weight lifting, and ab/leg exercises. Those last 30 minutes were especially relaxing. It was a cold and rainy night outside and somehow a breeze was coming into the gym, and it felt kind of magical.
One thing's for sure, you'll never get trapped in burning building.

Dang girl, that's a lotta stairs!
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2016, 09:50 PM   #2895
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

I had a really stressful day, a bunch of life stresses hitting me at once. I decided to get to the gym and "work it out" . It did actually feel good. Today: 30 minutes StairMaster, Levels 2-4, 89 floors, 270 cal., 2.7 floors per minute. Then: 30 minutes floor exercises (legs, light abs), weight lifting, stretching, and yoga. Again there was that nice cool night breeze coming from outside, making me feel extra zen

How do I... ?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 02:16 PM   #2896
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Weights during lunch break - weight amounts written in my journal at the gym, but basically 3 sets / 10 reps each increase weight with each set.
Leg press
Leg extensions
Bicep curl
Tricep pushdown
Seated Row
Crunches

Had to take chest press and lat pulldown off my routine because of a rotator cuff issue. Still working to get mobility back first before adding weight.

Felt kinda too easy today. But I'm not sure if it would be better to increase weight or reps at this point.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #2897
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,159 Times in 3,019 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Trying to block out time later- should be on the rowing machine for 3-4 miles. Yesterday and the day before I exercised too late in the day- after 9pm- and it made me too wired for sleeping...
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #2898
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Good workout this morning, exercisers!

I hit the Precor EFX576i elliptical and went to town.

325.1 cal, 2.58 mi, 4460 strides, 35:00 min

Then I stretched on the mat, made a couple of appointments with my trainer and left.

While I was there, a woman climbed up on the elliptical next to me and apparently had some sort of a sneezing issue. She kept sneezing tiny, cute little sneezes. I said 'bless you' after the first few but gave up after the 4th or 5th one. Maybe she has some sort of exercise induced sneezing fits.

Like this:

Not like this:

And this is just for fun:

I'm misunderestimated.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:59 PM   #2899
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Today I took a two hour walk by the river with my brother Dave, his husband Jan, and our friend Eli... All some of my favorite people.

Then I went to the gym and did 30 minutes on the stair master, levels 2-4, 270 cal., 88 floors, 2.6 floors per minute. Then I did 30 minutes of floor exercises: abs, weight lifting, stretching.

The last half of my gym work-out was extra special because it was a Saturday night so it was pretty empty so it was just music, city lights out the window in the dark, and a reflection for a mirror when lifting weights. It made me feel so peaceful.

How do I... ?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 12:33 AM   #2900
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

<Gemme sneezing post>

Back in the day, when Mr. Potato was living with his sister, one would sneeze, and then the other would sneeze, and then the first would sneeze, repeat.

Now, Mr. Potato sneezes, then I fake sneeze, then he sneezes, repeat.

This actually happened today, minutes before I hit the elipitical, and then he hit the treadmill (I only have one inside extension cord).

Mr Potato 18 minutes, .9 miles per hour.

Mr. DapperButch, 30 minutes, 400 calories burned.

Two bachelors, but happy.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:

Tags
exercise, weights