Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 09-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Bill C-389 (Protecting gender identity/expression in Canada)

This is mostly a shout out to the Canadians on the forum, but any others who don't live in Canada who would like to show support I can imagine we need all the support we can get.

I made a post about it in the Trans history thread, and was hoping that they would have announced further news on the matter since it's now the end of September. No news so far, so I figure this bill could use all the support it can muster.

For those unaware, a new bill was proposed in Canada some months ago that would effectively add gender identity and gender expression to the Canadian Charter and Criminal Code. While trans folks are legally protected in the Northwest Territories as well as in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, there is no law that specifically protects transgender, transsexual and other non-traditional gender expressions/identities in the rest of Canada (not to mention, the legal protection currently available is typically considered "covered" by the fact that sexual orientation is already included in the Charter and Criminal Code, when discrimination based on gender identity/expression is a different kettle of fish altogether). This bill would change that. The bill passed its second reading in June and was supposed to go into its third reading this fall, however, it is now nearly the end of September and I haven't heard anything (if someone else has, lemme know!).

The proposed bill: http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicat...89_1&File=27#1

For those who would like to raise awareness on the bill, show their support etc. here's a link to do so http://billc389.wordpress.com/english/take-action/ If you're a Canadian resident and support this bill, I would definitely suggest writing your MP.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Update for those interested:
Quote:
November 16, 2010
Parliament expected to vote on transgender and transsexual rights in December

A private members bill that would prohibit discrimination on the basis of gender expression or identity will get a third and final reading in the House of Commons in December.

* Email your MP to support Bill C-389

C-389 is Burnaby MP Bill Siksay's third attempt to give transgendered and transsexual people protection under federal human rights and hate crime legislation.

For trans people – those whose gender identity and gender expression does not match their birth sex – using a public bathroom, applying for a driver's license, and similar daily interactions can trigger hostility, intolerance, discrimination and even violence.

But neither the Canadian Human Rights Act nor federal hate crimes legislation protect people from discrimination based on gender identity or expression.

PSAC has negotiated contract language prohibiting discrimination based on gender identity or expression and the Northwest Territories territorial human rights legislation, provides these protections to its residents.

It's time for the federal government to do the same. Everyone deserves dignity and respect in the workplace and on the streets.

In honour of November 20, the 12th Annual Transgender Day of Remembrance email your MP and ask them to support Bill C-389

http://www.psac-afpc.org/documents/i...s_brochure.pdf
Source: http://www.psac-afpc.org/news/2010/i...101116-e.shtml
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post: