Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 08-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Default Home & Personal Safety & Protection

I would appreciate hearing how you all protect your homes, property and persons...do you own a gun? sleep with a taser under your pillow? keep a baseball bat near your bed?

I am considering <gulp> purchasing a small semi automatic to keep in my nightstand and welcome any and all feedback. Thanks in advance!
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
sweetfemme247

How Do You Identify?:
fem
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme, she, her, baby, sweetie
Relationship Status:
holding my heart close and putting back up a wall

sweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputation

we have 3......

Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present.
Jim Rohn
sweetfemme247 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetfemme247 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,870 Times in 2,475 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Hey there Novela!! Great idea for a thread.

I have a relatively large house (4 BR) and I live by myself. I live in a good neighborhood (by Las Vegas standards) that has had, historically, a low level of criminal activity. By and large, though, Las Vegas has a bad reputation for crime and we truly are "Sin City", in every way you could imagine. The city and culture caters to just about every vice you can imagine. If you want examples, just turn your television on to the show "Cops". Las Vegas makes frequent appearances on there.

So, back to your question. When I first bought my house in 2003, I immediately got hooked up with a monitored security system, which I still have. I have mixed feelings on how effective I think "those people" are. About 3 years ago, the wind blew my front doors (french doors) open at around 0230 in the morning and it set my alarm off, nearly scaring the boxers right off of me, as I was sound asleep at the time. The alarm tech called me and asked if I was okay, then told me "Well, I can call 911 for you, but they'd probably respond faster if YOU called them." Ya, this while my house alarm is going off and I'm thinking that someone has broken into my house and is going to come into my bedroom at any second and shoot me.

Anyway, it is at times like that when I rely on my secondary security system.....a loaded Smith and Wesson .38 with a 4 inch barrel and hollow point rounds. It can shoot through a door, if need be. The reason I own this weapon is because, even though I have a monitored security system, there is a LOT that can happen between the time that the system is triggered and the time that the police arrive. I want the option of being able to protect my person if it comes to that. Here in the State of Nevada, the law says that a person is permitted to defend themselves, but not their property. The only time you can shoot and/or kill an intruder is when you have a reasonable belief that your life is being threatened by them. Just them being in your home is not legal grounds for shooting or killing them. You have to have reasonable belief that they mean to harm YOU, not steal your property. So, my plan is as follows......

If my alarm system is triggered, or an intruder breaks into my home, I will grab my .38 and lock myself in my bedroom. If the intruder breaks into my bedroom or attempts to break the door down, I can reasonably assume that he/she is there to physically threaten my life and/or my person and I am prepared to shoot to kill....even through the door.

That said, I do want to point out that I am a U.S. Marine Corps Veteran and I have had extensive training with firearms. It's been years since I was on active duty in the Corps, but the training has stayed with me. I go to the pistol range every now and then and brush up. It's been a fun "hobby" of sorts, too, and may end up saving my life or someone else's life one day.

Now....THAT said, I do want to strongly caution those who have NOT had firearms training against buying a firearm for personal protection without taking at least a short class on firearms safety and/or how to handle a firearm. Special cautions also need to be taken if you're going to buy a firearm and you have children in your household. In other words, if you're going to own a firearm, be a responsible firearms owner and/or parent.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

~Theo~
Old 08-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Four dogs. Three bark loudly and the fourth would surely whine them into submission.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post
Hey there Novela!! Great idea for a thread.

I have a relatively large house (4 BR) and I live by myself. I live in a good neighborhood (by Las Vegas standards) that has had, historically, a low level of criminal activity. By and large, though, Las Vegas has a bad reputation for crime and we truly are "Sin City", in every way you could imagine. The city and culture caters to just about every vice you can imagine. If you want examples, just turn your television on to the show "Cops". Las Vegas makes frequent appearances on there.

So, back to your question. When I first bought my house in 2003, I immediately got hooked up with a monitored security system, which I still have. I have mixed feelings on how effective I think "those people" are. About 3 years ago, the wind blew my front doors (french doors) open at around 0230 in the morning and it set my alarm off, nearly scaring the boxers right off of me, as I was sound asleep at the time. The alarm tech called me and asked if I was okay, then told me "Well, I can call 911 for you, but they'd probably respond faster if YOU called them." Ya, this while my house alarm is going off and I'm thinking that someone has broken into my house and is going to come into my bedroom at any second and shoot me.

Anyway, it is at times like that when I rely on my secondary security system.....a loaded Smith and Wesson .38 with a 4 inch barrel and hollow point rounds. It can shoot through a door, if need be. The reason I own this weapon is because, even though I have a monitored security system, there is a LOT that can happen between the time that the system is triggered and the time that the police arrive. I want the option of being able to protect my person if it comes to that. Here in the State of Nevada, the law says that a person is permitted to defend themselves, but not their property. The only time you can shoot and/or kill an intruder is when you have a reasonable belief that your life is being threatened by them. Just them being in your home is not legal grounds for shooting or killing them. You have to have reasonable belief that they mean to harm YOU, not steal your property. So, my plan is as follows......

If my alarm system is triggered, or an intruder breaks into my home, I will grab my .38 and lock myself in my bedroom. If the intruder breaks into my bedroom or attempts to break the door down, I can reasonably assume that he/she is there to physically threaten my life and/or my person and I am prepared to shoot to kill....even through the door.

That said, I do want to point out that I am a U.S. Marine Corps Veteran and I have had extensive training with firearms. It's been years since I was on active duty in the Corps, but the training has stayed with me. I go to the pistol range every now and then and brush up. It's been a fun "hobby" of sorts, too, and may end up saving my life or someone else's life one day.

Now....THAT said, I do want to strongly caution those who have NOT had firearms training against buying a firearm for personal protection without taking at least a short class on firearms safety and/or how to handle a firearm. Special cautions also need to be taken if you're going to buy a firearm and you have children in your household. In other words, if you're going to own a firearm, be a responsible firearms owner and/or parent.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

~Theo~
Thank you, Theoddz, and I couldn't agree more about adequate training. Interesting gun choice as that is pretty much the exact firearm I have been contemplating.

I have always lived under the precept that by bringing a gun into my home I am inviting negative/dangerous energy my way. I also have a dog that sounds like 50 wild pitbulls ready to attack when she senses danger. But, I also have two little girls to protect and lately my little world hasn't felt as safe as I'd like it to. Just yesterday I drove by a Jack In The Box that was completely surrounded by TPD officers. Turned out that an elderly man was shot point blank by another driver for moving to slowly. I know there isn't much one can do in road-rage situations, but if someone enters my home (for whatever reason) I want to have a plan of action in place.
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

When I bought my house it already had an alarm system installed,I contenued the service after purchaseing the house,sofar the folks have been good about contacting me if needed, even at work.Out in the yard I have sensor alarm that serounds the first 100 ft of my back yard as well as the first 50 ft of my frount yard and carport.Only on rare occasions has anything set the paremiter alarm on in the back but several times in the frount and carport wich also lights up and says 'you are in a restricted area and are being recorded'..also the mounted cam is still up out side all around the house and all doors leading in or out of the house.No im not that much conserned but the folks I bought the place from had been vandalised before and were paranoid about safty.What I count on is my two fur kids who where not large sound like they weigh 100 pounds or more,My son retired from the special forces Black Knights division,so im not over woried about anything going on hear.I do own a fue wepons from when I did some hunting years back so im a crack shot with a gun and amore than passable user of a bow if neded.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,909 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

I have a vicious poodle, who did prevent someone from entering the house, after they had broken into the garage, a few years ago.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

My alarm system, .....My 10 pound Weenie dog, Scout.
Remington 870 pump with a 20 inch barrel.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

I've gotta say that guns don't even come into mind when I think about home security. It's more like: "I wonder where the key to my front door is?" No - seriously! Four dogs in the house somebody'd have to be a FOOL to come in! And never mind the parrots! I have a baseball bat next to the front door, but that's more in case of a four-legged kind of intruder. The thieves that got some of my chickens Saturday night - we joked that if I'd run out totally nekkid that it would probably be more deadly than anything else I could have done to them! lol

Gun control laws are pretty strict here in Canada, and I'm just fine with that. Living on the border I see a story nearly every week of an American who tries to cross into Canada without declaring a hand gun. I live in a reasonably safe part of the world, and am not really able physically to engage in hand-to-hand. So I rely on deterrence: I make sure the yard is well-lighted, have a phone handy, know my neighbours' phone numbers off by heart, and have my car alarm button by the bed in case of emergency. My neighbours know that that's the sign that something's wrong. There may come a time when I need something more than that and don't have it - I hope not. But I'm living my values. I believe the availability of hand guns serves to encourage a climate of violence. I'm not saying you don't have the right to protect yourself according to the laws of YOUR land. Just that I'm quite happy to live where I do and in the type of climate we have here.

Sue
Old 08-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,543 Times in 4,141 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation
Default shoot

Hey Oddz the" make my day law" changed all that. If someone breaks into your house even your garage, you can shoot them, as soon as they attempt to break in, they don't even have to enter, you can shoot and kill . It's a federal law, so it holds for every state. A 38 with hollow point rounds is perfect. But it's not a semi auto pistol. It's a revolver. But if you want a semi auto, get a 380. always hollow point rounds. But I think you'd be better off with a 38. revolver. Any brand is good, smith and wesson will be pricey. Tarrus brand is good Rossi is good, Colt. I have 2 pistols and a rifle and a home security system, and I am a Marine who can protect myself and those I love just fine without a weapon. I don't believe it invites anything. I have never had an ounce of trouble remotely. But I'm prepared if need be.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
Abigail Crabby

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Princess
Relationship Status:
Single, but sociable

Thanked 9,667 Times in 2,484 Posts
Abigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST Reputation

Ummm I have a deadbolt

Not even meaning to be facetious - I guess I just double lock the doors and go to sleep.

Now I think I need a doberman

Turns whatever happens to you into a positive...
Abigail Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Abigail Crabby For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
Sassy

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Relationship Status:
Together

Thanked 1,928 Times in 460 Posts
Sassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelafemme View Post
I would appreciate hearing how you all protect your homes, property and persons...do you own a gun? sleep with a taser under your pillow? keep a baseball bat near your bed?

I am considering <gulp> purchasing a small semi automatic to keep in my nightstand and welcome any and all feedback. Thanks in advance!
My partner says she owns a gun. Though where it is, what it is and whether it is loaded or even has ammunition with it... well, she hasn't completely unpacked yet... so... I say, she owns a very well-hidden and fancy ROCK.

Other than that I have a loud, grumpy, elderly dachshund. She barks at suspicious noises but bumps into walls whens he goes to investigate, as she's nearly blind.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sassy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #13
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

My recommendation to everyone for in-home security is available with no waiting period, no real regulation, no license, is dirt cheap and is found at your local hardware or paint store. You will also need a squirt bottle or water pistol/soaker. It's called paint thinner/turpentine. Pour it in that squirt bottle, put it on the stream setting and if someone breaks in your house squirt them directly in the face....particularly the eyes. While they are screaming and yelling and rolling on the floor make sure you squirt them several different times as you call the police. I also recommend a nice piece of oak called a baseball bat. If you like, after squirting them in the eyes and nose and mouth, then you can beat the living shit out of them with the bat while waiting for said police to arrive. oh yeah....you can alternate between the paint thinner and the baseball bat as often as you like.

It works by the way......I know a couple of women who live alone that have used it. You also don't run the risk of killing someone which really will affect you forever no matter how justified.

edited to add: you could also use some duck tape on their hands and feet....I know a woman who duck taped a guy's penis and hairy balls to his very hairy legs...she had knocked him out cold with her solid wood bedside lamp.....the cops found that very very funny.....
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Hi Novelafemme. I am in charge of security for a very large non-profit that has many properties in very dangerous areas and not so dangerous areas. Security on a residential level and commercial level are my areas of expertise. Please feel free to pm me, I have some suggestions to keep you and your family safe without putting anyone at risk for harm.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #15
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

As I have gotten older, I just don't live in fear like I used to - maybe its because I moved away from living in an urban neighborhood in a relatively large city to living on a plantation, 1.3 miles off the PAVED road where Jess had lived for 16 years and had never locked a door on the house. Keys were left in the vehicles in the drive at night - it was quite something to get used to -

Now that we live more in a neighborhood, I still don't feel unsafe, but we do lock our doors. We have Samson, the 120lb giant schnauzer and if they get past him, Sookie, the 80lb giant schnauzer will certainly be on the ready. If by some chance someone gets past them, there is Scooter and Max (the two minis who sound the alarm at.every.noise.) and failing all that, Jess has a shotgun and Bratboy - well, I wouldnt wanna tangle with that wall of young man.

I am not making light of feeling unsafe and the need to be able to protect you and yours. If you are considering a gun purchase, I would find a reputable class about safety and knowledgeable salespersons to assist you with a weapon you can become intimately comfortable with handling. You might also think about a gun safety class for the kids as well. Trigger locks, gun safe - I would just take precautions - not necessarily for your kids, but more about any visitor (adult or child) who might be in your home.
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #16
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

I live in a very safe area...but I also have a Chihuahua and a Great Dane. The Chihuahua is my early alarm system (and also a "red herring" to lull any intruders into a false sense of security...before the Dane gets em! LOL)

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #17
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

Well, I used to have an "attack cat" who would perch on the shelf by the front door and pounce on the heads of any unsuspecting persons walking in the front door.

I live out in the country. I own guns. Lots of guns. A pretty darn extensive collection of them actually. (Handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc...) I think I got my first one when I was around 4 or 5 years old. I've been shooting for many years, and have won trophies for such. Needless to say, gun safety and training was instilled since birth. That would probably be my security method if my life or the life of anyone in my home was at stake. In reality, the chances are greater of being attacked by a wild animal than a criminal, around here.

For the most part though, we don't even lock our doors. Many times we have left on vacation for a couple weeks without locking the door, and with leaving the windows up. Most thefts, crimes, stuff like that, are committed by those known to the victim. We don't really have a lot of random crime, and violent crime generally only occurs in families/familiar settings (domestic violence, folks getting drunk around the bonfire, etc). I can't recall a single incident in my town that was stranger-on-stranger violent crime. Guess that's one thing I like best about small town life.

dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #18
T4Texas

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Ready to play again!

T4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST Reputation

I'm not the kind of person to lock myself up in my house out of fear. I go out at night and do as I please, but have learned to be observant, particularly after my ex GF and I were held up at gunpoint in a parking garage several years ago.
I own guns. I have a 22 rifle I call a plinker because it has a 16 shot mag and is semi auto so you can sqeeze off 16 hollow points as fast as you can pull the trigger. I have a pistol that has a six shot magazine but my favorite is my old ithaca side by side shotgun. Its a 60s vintage with two triggers but still shoots well. I learned to shoot as a child and was taught gun safety at an early age. Since then I have taken the firearms safety course and every year I take my guns to the shooting range, fire them and then clean them for another year. If someone came in my house and I felt in fear of my life, I am quite sure I would kill them.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #19
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I know who I am... Doesn't matter
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Thanked 4,946 Times in 1,350 Posts
Strappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I personally do not believe in firearms for "protection". It's just me, I grew up with them in our home and have shot many at targets. But would never own one. When my father passed away my mom asked me if I wanted them. I'm like HELL no, we gave them to a family friend.

As for protection in my home, I lock the doors and windows. My roommate insisted on an Alarm so we got one. I personally shut it off when I get home and don't turn it on till I live in the morning. She will have it on 24/7 if I am not home.

I guess whatever you need to do to protect yourself. I don't think I could be partnered with a woman that requires a gun in our home. Just my personal views and thoughts. I figure if they are coming to get me then it's my time! But bet your life I will fight to my death!
Strappie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #20
Tcountry

How Do You Identify?:
Country Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
call it as u see it
Relationship Status:
Completely...complete ;)

1 Highscore

Thanked 4,287 Times in 1,181 Posts
Tcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST Reputation

I have a Louisville slugger (I saw being made and engraved with me name...lol) beside the bed.

It is my only weapon...growing up in a family with a cop father. It was always understood that the intruder, if they have a weapon, would be more likely to shoot you before you would be willing to shoot them. hesitation....*shrug*

As well as 2 very verbal watch cats... One that saved the house from burning from candles by waking the person who slept in the other room.